What did Piccolo do with Gohan's clothes here?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What did Piccolo do with Gohan's clothes here?

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:18 pm

I know that he used clothes beam but what did he do with the clothes Gohan was initially wearing? Did he destroy them? Shouldn't Gohan be a little angry at Piccolo for doing that? I mean clothes are expensive, so Piccolo just basically threw some of Gohan's fav clothes that he uses for work into the trash bin here. He also wore them on Bulma's birthday so you can tell he had a soft spot for them. Or did he teleport them back into his wardrobe? Does that mean that Piccolo knows teleportation but he can only use it on clothes?

This reminds me that this isn't the first time he does this with Gohan's clothes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQPkxX7aHPQ

Also why didn't Piccolo use the clothes beam on Gohan when he was wearing his tracksuit? Did Piccolo secretly think that he looked okay in them, and he hated Gohan's work clothes?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: What did Piccolo do with Gohan's clothes here?

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:12 pm

He should've asked him first, if Gohan had 50 bucks in his pocket, they are gone now. Probably Videl got angry at Gohan back home, too. "I spent my entire afternoon ironing that fucking shirt"

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:28 pm

These people are friends with a billionaire, certainly getting a new pair of identical clothes shouldn't be too hard.

And on the subject of those clothes, they look like trash. Good lord, no wonder Gohan is treated as a joke by many in the fandom. What are those ugly rags LOL. Piccolo did him a favour really.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:29 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:18 pm Also why didn't Piccolo use the clothes beam on Gohan when he was wearing his tracksuit? Did Piccolo secretly think that he looked okay in them, and he hated Gohan's work clothes?
Akira Toriyama, Daizenshuu 6 Interview wrote:For clothes, I design them while thinking about something that fits the world the characters inhabit, or in the case of fighting characters, “I wonder if they’ll be able to move properly in this”.
You can move around just fine in a tracksuit! Slacks, a button-down shirt, and a vest...not so much. :wink:

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:38 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:28 pm And on the subject of those clothes, they look like trash. Good lord, no wonder Gohan is treated as a joke by many in the fandom. What are those ugly rags LOL. Piccolo did him a favour really.
Honestly I disagree, I think they look cool. I would certainly wear them instead of what Piccolo gave to Gohan. Look at those baggy pants. I would be ashamed to go outside in them.
batistabus wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:29 pm
DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:18 pm Also why didn't Piccolo use the clothes beam on Gohan when he was wearing his tracksuit? Did Piccolo secretly think that he looked okay in them, and he hated Gohan's work clothes?
Akira Toriyama, Daizenshuu 6 Interview wrote:For clothes, I design them while thinking about something that fits the world the characters inhabit, or in the case of fighting characters, “I wonder if they’ll be able to move properly in this”.
You can move around just fine in a tracksuit! Slacks, a button-down shirt, and a vest...not so much. :wink:
This is another reason as to why 17 was so cool in Super. Only one who fights in jeans and had no problem fighting in them. MVP

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:55 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:28 pm And on the subject of those clothes, they look like trash. Good lord, no wonder Gohan is treated as a joke by many in the fandom. What are those ugly rags LOL. Piccolo did him a favour really.
The tops are alright, but Gohan looks like a tramp in those baggy ass trousers
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:08 pm

You don't think Piccolo could just create some new work clothes for him, just like he made that gi on the page you posted?

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Although it's in black-and-white, you get the sense that Gohan's waistcoat and trousers are some tacky colour combo as always. Friggin dork. Piccolo probably did him a favour. Besides the impracticality of fighting in civilian clothes, I think the Dragon Ball characters have long gone past giving a shit if their clothes get torn or destroyed in battle. It's expected. Plus as dbgtFo said, Piccolo could just as easily beam him a copy of his work clothes again after the battle is over.

If we got scenes of Gohan or another character fighting in a suave black suit or something a bit more stylish, I'd be so down for that, even if it is impractical as hell.

Unrelated but damn, I almost forgot that Gohan got a bone thrown to him in this arc.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:48 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:55 am
The tops are alright, but Gohan looks like a tramp in those baggy ass trousers
They're literally normal slacks just drawn too baggy as Toyotarou always does. It looks fine when drawn by one of the better artists (it's a card scan, excuse the scan quality):

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:11 am

dbgtFO wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:08 pm You don't think Piccolo could just create some new work clothes for him, just like he made that gi on the page you posted?
I didn't think about that... oops

On another note, I think Piccolo should at least help the Son family out with his clothes beam so at least they won't have to waste money on clothes anymore. Chi-Chi always bitches about money anyway.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:23 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:08 pm You don't think Piccolo could just create some new work clothes for him, just like he made that gi on the page you posted?
Well yeah, but there goes the sentimental value. What if those the first clothes he bought with his first paycheck? Or maybe they're his lucky clothes that got him his job. Maybe that's why he wears them to every social event

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:12 pm

EGonzo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:23 pm
Well yeah, but there goes the sentimental value. What if those the first clothes he bought with his first paycheck? Or maybe they're his lucky clothes that got him his job. Maybe that's why he wears them to every social event
If they were that important to him, he'd probably care enough to change clothes before flying over to an arid desert to fight a powerful android with his mentor's techniques.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:03 pm

It's a switch. Now Gohan dresses are in some Piccolo armchair.
Piccolo got a full set of gi and shoes of any size, in case of, to fully dress his potential army of devils. Now you know what Piccolo does out of screen.
Sewing.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:22 am

1) His professional clothes probably would have been ruined during the fight anyway.

2) They're much harder to move in than a gi.

3) Presumably Piccolo could clothes-beam them right back at the end of the fight? Piccolo is apparently an expert mental tailor.