New Dragon Ball Artbook from Viz!? (Link inside)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:38 am

Sweet, I really hope they do this right and release all of them!
Trans rights, now!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed May 28, 2008 10:27 am

Ohhh, interesting. <arrogant bastard> Of course, me and Hujio already put up an English version of Daizenshuu 1, like, three monthes ago. </arrogant bastard>. But seriously, Daizenshuu 1 is mostly about the beautiful, beautiful color artwork, and the best way to view that is definitely in a book.

I few things to point out, with regards to whether or not Viz will release all of the daizenshuu: First, this book isn't listed as the first in a series. The picture at Kinokuniya does have the kanji for daizenshuu on the cover, but the big "1" by the title is notably missing (compare to theJapanese cover). Considering that, it wouldn't surprise me if they only plan on releasing the first one.

An incomplete release of translated daizenshuu wouldn't be unprecedented: in France, Glenat published translations of only Daizenshuu 1 and 2. Also, Viz has released only the first of the One Piece Color Walks, without so far doing the rest or the various Data Books that are out in Japan. So it's no unprecedented for Viz themselves to release only part of a series of art/guide books.

Another thing is that four of the daizenshuu cover solely the anime and movies (3, 5, 6, 10; 7 deals with both the manga and anime), while of course Viz does the manga and Funi does the anime. I guess it's not that unlikely for them to cooperate and publish them, though. But that does rather questions of internal consistency, since there are many differences between Viz and Funi's versions of Dragon Ball. Would the K-man be "Kuririn" in Daizenshuu 1 and "Krillin" in 3? It seems there'd be a lot of minor problems like that.

<shameless bastard> Meanwhile, over at Kanzentai, not only do we already have a full translation of Daizenshuu 1, and this week we're releasing our translation of Daizenshuu 2! </shameless bastard>
Last edited by Herms on Wed May 28, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed May 28, 2008 12:37 pm

If this is Daizenshuu 1, I'll be buying it.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed May 28, 2008 1:54 pm

Don't keep your hopes up about the any more releases, though - the first Daizenshuu is available in a ton of countries, while the others have been mostly ignored.

It's not like you need to be able to read the text to enjoy this book, either - you could've imported it from a lot of places if you really wanted it. I don't see a reason to care much about this announcement.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Wed May 28, 2008 2:20 pm

Holy crap this is going to awesome! Very, very excited.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed May 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Adamant wrote:Don't keep your hopes up about the any more releases, though - the first Daizenshuu is available in a ton of countries, while the others have been mostly ignored.
Yeah, but VIZ releases guide books for most of their popular series that have guide books in Japan...

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Wed May 28, 2008 4:33 pm

desirecampbell wrote:looks like Daisenshuu one, baby!

http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/guest/c ... 1421525666
*insert Hallelujah chorus here*
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed May 28, 2008 4:33 pm

I think I wet my pants.

Several times.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed May 28, 2008 4:48 pm

Holy shit.

Party at my house! Ok, not really.
Man, this is so exciting!
Last edited by The Time Traveller on Wed May 28, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Wed May 28, 2008 4:55 pm

Herms wrote: I few things to point out, with regards to whether or not Viz will release all of the daizenshuu: First, this book isn't listed as the first in a series. The picture at Kinokuniya does have the kanji for daizenshuu on the cover, but the big "1" by the title is notably missing (compare to theJapanese cover). Considering that, it wouldn't surprise me if they only plan on releasing the first one.
Well considering this, my guess is that this release is just to test the waters. If this one is successful, we may be able to have more daizenshuu released in the US. That is probably why they did not include the number "1" on the cover.
Adamant wrote:Don't keep your hopes up about the any more releases, though - the first Daizenshuu is available in a ton of countries, while the others have been mostly ignored.

It's not like you need to be able to read the text to enjoy this book, either - you could've imported it from a lot of places if you really wanted it. I don't see a reason to care much about this announcement.
It seems that someone is angry because they spent a fortune on importing the books... Anyway, what's with the negative attitude? First of all, this is HUGE news - probably the biggest news in years. Second of all, importing a foreign release would not only be ridiculously expensive, but they would also be nearly impossible to find (not to mention most Japanese sellers do NOT ship outside of Japan). So I don't know what your problem is, but we don't need your lame attitude here.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed May 28, 2008 5:24 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:Party at my house! Ok, not really.
Aw geez, if only I knew any other Dragonball fans in the area, we'd totally party it up DB style on a regular basis :D.

... and yeah, Daizenshuu 1 coming out is pretty awesome news. Hopefully, we'll be getting the other volumes out with minimum changes in the translation.

Also, I'm guessing that kanzentai'll still be cranking out their own translations of the daizenshuu? It'd be pretty nice to be able to compare what Viz will have out (though I'm sure most of the big changes will just be dubified stuff).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:05 pm

Herms wrote:Another thing is that four of the daizenshuu cover solely the anime and movies (3, 5, 6, 10; 7 deals with both the manga and anime), while of course Viz does the manga and Funi does the anime. I guess it's not that unlikely for them to cooperate and publish them, though. But that does rather questions of internal consistency, since there are many differences between Viz and Funi's versions of Dragon Ball. Would the K-man be "Kuririn" in Daizenshuu 1 and "Krillin" in 3? It seems there'd be a lot of minor problems like that.
Well, I know that if they wanted to, Viz could definitely put out the anime-related Daizenshuu. Viz and Funi have already worked together on a couple FMA anime artbooks, so it's definitely possible to see a release like that. Of course, this is assuming they choose to release any of the other Daizenshuu at all.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Wed May 28, 2008 6:35 pm

Awesome, I'm extatic about this. I hope they release all of the Daizenshuu books. If they do they'll probably be translated well, say what you will about the censoring later on, but Viz's Translations were still good. This should be a quality release.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed May 28, 2008 6:42 pm

Well hey, if we buy these, and express distinct interest in getting the others... That can only help.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed May 28, 2008 7:07 pm

Allow me to be the first to say it.

FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's too bad that it's not hardcover, as I'd definately pay more to have it, but this is very awesome news!

There is no emoticon which can express my feelings right now! :P

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed May 28, 2008 9:08 pm

I'm still slightly bitter over only just purchasing Daizenshuu 1, however I will buy this when its released, if only to encourage Viz to release the rest.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Thu May 29, 2008 2:30 am

I'm with Captain Awesome; I hope this will encourage further releases.

Even if it's just a single release, it'll make a great conversation piece. I've been a Toriyama fan since I saw the promo art for Chrono Trigger.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Thu May 29, 2008 8:06 am

You know, I don't even look to buy much merchandise, despite how much I like the series. I barely have anything. But even I'M excited for this. I'll have to look into picking this up.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Thu May 29, 2008 9:17 am

Wow. News this exciting is bringing me back to the Daizex boards now. I never dreamed this day would come... and to think I actually stopped sending Viz letters.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu May 29, 2008 9:45 am

Yi Xing Long wrote: It seems that someone is angry because they spent a fortune on importing the books... Anyway, what's with the negative attitude? First of all, this is HUGE news - probably the biggest news in years. Second of all, importing a foreign release would not only be ridiculously expensive, but they would also be nearly impossible to find (not to mention most Japanese sellers do NOT ship outside of Japan). So I don't know what your problem is, but we don't need your lame attitude here.
No, I got my Danish version, which was neither hard to find and import nor particularly expensive. Yes, importing it from Japan would've been somewhat troublesome, but the book is available in so many countries it's hardly "nearly impossible to find". I just find it somewhat silly that people get this excited about the release of an artbook that's relatively easy to find, and doesn't require that you understand the text to enjoy it. Had this been one of the other Daizenshuu, I'd understand - those are both rare and text-heavy, but the first one really isn't.

Isn't the printing of Cowa in Shonen Jump more exciting? I don't think it's been released outside Japan before, and you'd need to be able to understand the dialouge to get maximum enjoyment out of it.

EDIT: Just checked - from 2003 till today, you could've held the first Daizenshuu in your hands for only 30$ + shipping from Denmark.
Rare and expensive? It's both easier and less cumbersome to get ahold of than the Australian release of the first 13 episodes of Dragonball, I don't really see anyone calling those "rare and expensive".

Seriously, this release is just a minor convenience.