"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:38 pm

-Chapter 74-

Oh look at that, it was a great chapter!

Loved Vegeta's dialogue in this one. Curious to know more about his GoD form, like the official color scheme and if it's already a mastered version. If it is then it's a shame because he will get his ass beat later.

Granolah's arrow blast was cool too and volume 16 cover is fire!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:43 pm

Granolah Reminds me a lot of Saiyan Saga Vegeta. So Arogant in the power that was given to him that he thinks its Impossible for him to lose. And when Vegeta kicks his ass next chapter with this G.O.D Power, He's probrably gonna be like Saiyan Saga Vegeta and try something reckless, perhaps try blowing up the planet like how Vegeta did in a fit of desperation.

Granolah is a great foil to Vegeta and his story about accepting his past and moving past it since Granolah really is like how Vegeta used to be.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:45 pm

Brettjr25 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:37 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:30 pm Timing and execution are important. Moving at a snail's pace for what is likely to be a two or three chapter fight does not work. Two things happened in this chapter: Vegeta tries telling Granola the truth and Granola refuses to believe him and Vegeta transforms. That is maybe 15-20 pages of story and character connected by fighting. The back half of this chapter should have been Vegeta using his new form. With the way things are going we're going to be stuck with forty-five pages of standing in place for the next chapter. That doesn't work for such large chapters, especially when they take a month to to release.
The timing and execution were perfect this chapter but I see where the disconnect is. You only believe two things happened this chapter when two things did not. Seeing new forms fights and generic stuff like that shouldn't be the only focus. Developing characters trumps all that for me and seeing the length of detail that went into this one made it for me.
The characters didn't develop, though. That's my issue. I don't care about transformations, I care about Vegeta actually developing not just showing him say a bunch of edgelord shit and writing him like one of those lame unofficial tee shirts.

It's just circles and circles.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:46 pm

Brettjr25 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:37 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:30 pm Timing and execution are important. Moving at a snail's pace for what is likely to be a two or three chapter fight does not work. Two things happened in this chapter: Vegeta tries telling Granola the truth and Granola refuses to believe him and Vegeta transforms. That is maybe 15-20 pages of story and character connected by fighting. The back half of this chapter should have been Vegeta using his new form. With the way things are going we're going to be stuck with forty-five pages of standing in place for the next chapter. That doesn't work for such large chapters, especially when they take a month to to release.
The timing and execution were perfect this chapter but I see where the disconnect is. You only believe two things happened this chapter when two things did not. Seeing new forms fights and generic stuff like that shouldn't be the only focus. Developing characters trumps all that for me and seeing the length of detail that went into this one made it for me.
Everyone has different opinions of course but if you look at the response to this chapter it’s overwhelmingly positive.

And Vegeta is always a bit edgy in his dialogue. But edgelord come on lol. As for development this is Vegeta talking about the importance of training, not letting power get to your head and that rankings change all the time. This is a very different Vegeta to who he was in the past.

As for the I don’t have to protect or save anyone doesn’t mean he is against doing those things. But he is still a Saiyan and enjoys fighting for fighting’s sake when he doesn’t have to worry about anything else. Is fighting really fun when you have the planet on the line?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:52 pm

Ignoring my distaste for the look of Vegeta's new form, this was a really good chapter, maybe one of the best in all of the Super manga. The action was good, but I mainly loved how full of character it was. Mostly Vegeta's character, but Granolah too. I'm also glad the chapter addressed how Granolah is inexperienced in the role as "strongest in the universe", as he should be, and Vegeta directly mocking the idea of power rankings tickled me. I just wish this "Primal Instinct Vegeta", or whatever you want to call the form, looked different. But yeah, this was great.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jd55513 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:00 pm

I think this chapter really does imply Granolah has Hakai. The telekinesis explosion attack, which Granolah did, was the same thing as from chapter 70 and 72 imo was Hakai. It's the same application as Vegeta using rocks as proximity explosions. Granolah then comments on its destructive power and says his is even greater. Then also does it again latter in the chapter.

Still not 100% confirmed tho

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:10 pm

It's insane to imagine what kind of villain will require Goku/Vegeta/Granolah team up against him.
inb4 that villain will be Frieza

Sikat
Temporarily Banned

Post by Sikat » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:24 pm

jd55513 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:00 pm I think this chapter really does imply Granolah has Destruction.
Slowpoke. That has been confirmed from the moment he made the wish. Granolah’s problem however is he has done zero training with his power, so Vegeta will probably end up being stronger than him based on experience alone.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:28 pm

Random and scattered thoughts of Chapter 74:

- Stellar character writing for Vegeta from start to finish. I'd even go as far as to say this is best written Vegeta has been in all of Super. Two bits of dialogue, in particular, I want to mention: "This feeling, it's been ages. There's no planet to protect, no people to save. Just me, immersed in battle. My happy place." & "Strongest? Second strongest? Rankings are well and good... but they only reflect a moment in time. Once that moment has passed by, it's nothing but history." Those two bits of dialogue are some of the best statements ever written for Vegeta's character.

- This chapter had some of the best fight choreography and panelling in all of the Super manga. Wonderful transition and use of scenery really elevated the action and kept it fresh and continuously engaging

- I still think the God Transformation for Vegeta looks ugly as sin, but the build-up to it was immaculate.

- The general pacing of this arc is starting to become a bit of an issue. Little to no plot progression happened. I think for the 40-45 pages that Toyotaro has at his disposal he could do a lot more than just have the "big" shift in the narrative be a character transform. I think something like that could be covered in half the amount of pages a monthly manga like this has to work with.

Overall thoughts... a wet dream if you're a Vegeta fan. And if not, it's still a damn good chapter.

FiReFTW

Post by FiReFTW » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:36 pm

I feel like Vegeta will get the win, would be a waste of a new transformation, usually when you get a big transformation like this its a win or at least the transformation is superior so... I assume

1.Vegeta beats Granolah but doesn't finish him off and proves that he and goku are not as bad and that they have a common enemy and that they have been tricked etc and then goku and vegeta leave and granolah on his own contemplates upon all of that

2.Vegeta beats Granolah but then loses his form due to fatigue or whatever or something else happens but both him and granolah and goku are kind of exhausted and it kind of ends in a stalemate or something else happens like elec showing up or idk

I can't imagine a lot of scenarios like Granolah winning because his goal is to kill goku and vegeta so that won't happen I think

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:41 pm

Funny thing to note. The last time Vegeta got to fight for the sake of fighting was in the Buu saga as Majin Vegeta. Something he probrably also regrets. He is right, its been ages.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:56 pm

Probably one of the best action chapters in Super.

Old Vegeta would lose his composure realizing an opponent was stronger than him(see Saiyan arc). This Vegeta faces that obstacle as an opportunity for growth.

Granolah keeps getting flatter. He's nothing more than a "I hate Saiyans" recording device. There was a bit where his AI pondered about both Saiyans claiming their innocence, hopefully that means something for the future.

I get ending in a cliffhanger but the chapter could have been a bit shorter, although the cat and mouse aspect of it made a lot of sense.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:04 pm

LightBing wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:56 pm Probably one of the best action chapters in Super.

Old Vegeta would lose his composure realizing an opponent was stronger than him(see Saiyan arc). This Vegeta faces that obstacle as an opportunity for growth.
That’s more of a trait of his post-Namek characterization. What pissed him off in the Saiyan arc was that a low-class Saiyan could be stronger than him. It was more steeped in classism.

Which makes sense, since at the time he knew Dodoria, the Ginyus, Zarbon and Frieza were all stronger than him.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:09 pm

Is this new form like Toppo's form from the tourney? Or is it new altogether?

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:10 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:10 pm It's insane to imagine what kind of villain will require Goku/Vegeta/Granolah team up against him.
inb4 that villain will be Frieza
I would love if Frieza got insanely strong again. There's no reason for him to stop training.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:10 pm

Calling this now as a Toriyama correction, or Toyotarou was really trying to mimic Saiyan arc aesthetics for thematic impact.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:18 pm

What color do you think the new form is? I'm guessing dark green hair or perhaps purple?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:20 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:41 pm Funny thing to note. The last time Vegeta got to fight for the sake of fighting was in the Buu saga as Majin Vegeta. Something he probrably also regrets. He is right, its been ages.
Not necessarily. He did fight for fun in the universe 6 tournament. The characters themselves admit the stakes weren't very high and Vegeta agreed out of a desire to fight for his own enjoyment.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:24 pm

Brettjr25 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:18 pm What color do you think the new form is? I'm guessing dark green hair or perhaps purple?
I'm certain it's purple, God of Destruction related since that's what they were going for with Beerus training him. Also it's the last(?) 'basic' color we haven't seen a Saiyan have
Yuji wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:10 pm Calling this now as a Toriyama correction, or Toyotarou was really trying to mimic Saiyan arc aesthetics for thematic impact.
The eyes look especially Toriyama-esque with rounder corners and lines, though I think Toriyama draws larger ears

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:35 pm

Yuji wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:20 pm
DiscountDabi wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:41 pm Funny thing to note. The last time Vegeta got to fight for the sake of fighting was in the Buu saga as Majin Vegeta. Something he probrably also regrets. He is right, its been ages.
Not necessarily. He did fight for fun in the universe 6 tournament. The characters themselves admit the stakes weren't very high and Vegeta agreed out of a desire to fight for his own enjoyment.
Well even then the stakes of Beerus killing them for losing even if earth goes to universe 6 so not really. Unlike Goku, Vegeta recognizes the threat of Lord Beerus and takes him seriously, but I even then he didn't have any close fights he could enjoy. At best he got some catharsis beating the shit out of Frost, and got some enjoyment out of Training Cabba. But nothing like a real fight which got his Saiyan Blood Pumping.