"Live Action Dragon Ball Z Movie"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Live Action Dragon Ball Z Movie"

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:20 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:16 pm I’m increasingly convinced that another live action Dragon Ball movie will never happen. My official stance at this point is that with the exception of Sonic the Hedgehog (which was never very popular in Japan anyway) and Godzilla, Hollywood adaptations of Japanese properties are unlikely to catch on.
Hollywood films are offensively safe and bland, so I'm not surprised. I wouldn't ever expect a Hollywood-funded film based on a Japanese IP to be good.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:45 pm I hope a live action Dragon Ball movie isn't afraid of sets. I was looking at sets for films like Batman and Hook the other day and was blown away by the scale of what is possible in a studio. Physical sets are a craft being quickly replaced by non-union CG and that sucks badly.
Dragon Ball Evolution was mostly film on sets and location. It surprisingly didn't use much green screen for its location outside of Roshi's house. I even talk to someone who work on the film on the Practical Effects group on Facebook and they mention that they had fun filming it in New Mexico despite the movie being awful.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:54 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:50 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:45 pm I hope a live action Dragon Ball movie isn't afraid of sets. I was looking at sets for films like Batman and Hook the other day and was blown away by the scale of what is possible in a studio. Physical sets are a craft being quickly replaced by non-union CG and that sucks badly.
Dragon Ball Evolution was mostly film on sets and location. It surprisingly didn't use much green screen for its location outside of Roshi's house. I even talk to someone who work on the film on the Practical Effects group on Facebook and they mention that they had fun filming it in New Mexico despite the movie being awful.
That sounds interesting! I haven't seen the film in eleven or twelve years ago I don't recall how it looked. I wonder if the sets were fun to walk around?
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:15 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:17 am I mean, honestly, I took Frieza/the Androids as still being part of the whole martial arts motif, but that it was a conflict of the "pure" martial artists like Goku and co. vs. the brutes corrupting it with a rudimentary understanding of what it actually is. In my mind, I said that the Androids aren't real martial artists from a purist standpoint, like how say (this is the only example I can think of at 2 am), the ragtag crew in Twister are the REAL storm chasers, and those other guys with their big budget and their fancy technology are just in it for the money, man!

So I viewed the conflict as MARTIAL ARTISTS vs. Some Guys Who Use Martial Arts.
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:39 amThat's my exact position as well. I think it's valid enough. I guess you could broadly say that any two martial arts styles going against each other is a contest to see which is "more valid", but in this case it feels more like a philosophical conflict of true martial artists who treat combat as a permanent lifestyle vs. these robot guys who are just using ki and hand-to-hand combat as a strategic means to an end but have no deeper understanding or motivation beyond that.
Just wanted to quickly chime in that these are both 100% spot on points, and not at all what I was arguing against earlier in this thread. I've made largely the same/similar points in threads relating specifically to Freeza and his minions, but they apply just as much to Gero and the Artificial Human characters.

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:39 amI agree that dissing a post's length is a silly criticism to make on a discussion forum but, with genuine all due respect, I think it's more down to the tone and particular emphasis of your posts that leads people to assume your emotional state. Like, most of your posts are littered with EMPHATIC CAPITALISED ADVERBS, gratuitous f-bombs, and repeatedly, repeatedly overstressing the same points, that naturally indicates that you're very angry/passionate about whatever topic at hand. It's not much of a reach to infer that. If it frustrates you that people here misinterpret you as an AVGN-type ranter, it would make more sense to keep the rhetorical devices you use to a minimum. I must admit, when I first encountered you here as a naïve chickpea with no idea who most people were, that was the impression I got as well and I didn't quite know what to make of you. I believe that, only when combined with the length that people immediately latch onto, sometimes creates a slightly... oppressive atmosphere to your comments.

Conveying tone through text isn't as hard as people make out, so long as every word, device and punctuation mark is used appositely. If, for a random example, I'm a serious, sombre guy yet everyone assumes my inputs into conversations are jokes, that's down to a failure of my own prose to convey the correct tone of my character and emotional state.
This is all totally valid, and I actually should apologize on my end for my use of caps as punctuation (which I totally agree can in many contexts be easily mistaken for anger). The reason I've often used caps for emphasis rather than other methods is honestly due to little more than time expediency on my part, since I'm often multitasking whatever time I spend posting here with my doing other various things. Despite the length of my posts, they usually in most cases don't actually take all that much time for me hammer out, since I'm a pretty fast speed-typist (comes from my mom, who was a secretary for almost 40 years: and she's even faster than I am).

But part of the reason for the fast time is that hitting shift to make a bold emphasis on something is oftentimes a lot quicker and requires a fraction less thought than it does me highlighting a word and going with another alternative (which I still do, but probably not to the extent that I ought to).

Regardless, this is all stuff I should still probably correct/be more aware of on my end. But yeah the frequent use of CAPS is little more than a by-product of me hammering out a post in fairly quick succession, since I'm often in the middle of other stuff at the same time.

As for the curse words: that's just how I normally talk IRL. Just as with length, use of cursing doesn't necessarily indicate a person's emotional state, as tons of people curse regardless of their mood or tone.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:39 pm

Has anyone else seen Cobra Kai? I'm a big fan of the fight scenes, particularly the fights in Season Two Episode #10 (which has an amazing 75 second shot while having to deal with background extras at a school) and Season Three Episode #10 (which has an even more amazing 110 second long shot that has the three martial arts school kicking the shit out of one another in the LaRusso's home). The choreography and cinematography really breaks away from the standard nonsense of modern action scene composition and as a whole the series feels like it's making a genuine homage to the technical craft of choregraphing fight scenes. Season Three in general had a higher number of fights, which typically require more time for shooting, so I was really impressed. Albeit, the actors are clearly not professional stunt actors but for "you have one weekend to film this complex fight scene" I'm honestly amazed and would be so excited to see what the stunt directors (husband and wife team Hiro Koda and Jahnel Curfman) could pull off on a film's extended production schedule.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:18 pm

It's 2021 and people are still clamoring for a live action Dragon Ball movie. After the shitfest that was Dragon Ball Evolution, who the hell would want a live action Dragon Ball movie? There's a 99% chance it would be crap much like the Evolution movie.

Also, Christopher Nolan and Tim Burton to direct it? They would never be associated with a project like this.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:25 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:18 pm It's 2021 and people are still clamoring for a live action Dragon Ball movie. After the shitfest that was Dragon Ball Evolution, who the hell would want a live action Dragon Ball movie? There's a 99% chance it would be crap much like the Evolution movie.

Also, Christopher Nolan and Tim Burton to direct it? They would never be associated with a project like this.
I would offer that the need to 'legitimize' a comic book by turning it into a live action film is indeed faulty. There are some artists who exist, however, whom I would be interested in seeing involved in the production of a Dragon Ball adaption who just so happen to be only able to or who specialize in creating art that is in the medium of live action film.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:56 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:18 pm It's 2021 and people are still clamoring for a live action Dragon Ball movie. After the shitfest that was Dragon Ball Evolution, who the hell would want a live action Dragon Ball movie? There's a 99% chance it would be crap much like the Evolution movie.
Evolution shouldn't be the basis for any prediction of quality of a future live action DB project. The movie came out in 2009, it's not recent. And it was also a rushed production with a poor script and very little care. It's not exactly an example of a sincere or legitimate effort in making a DB film.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:28 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:56 pm
Evolution shouldn't be the basis for any prediction of quality of a future live action DB project. The movie came out in 2009, it's not recent. And it was also a rushed production with a poor script and very little care. It's not exactly an example of a sincere or legitimate effort in making a DB film.
Maybe Dragon Ball just doesn’t translate to a Hollywood blockbuster?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:38 pm

The Hollywood blockbuster is an inherently scrubbed product so yeah, I would say that if you're going to scrub Dragon Ball and have next to nothing to provide in addition or in place of elements of Dragon Ball the translation would just...not work.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:49 am

If you would read through this thread, most of the commenters would not approve of a Live action DBZ film
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:47 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:18 pm
Those two would never work for Dragon Ball. Christopher Nolan is easily one of the most overrated director in my opinion with Memento being the only movie from him that I truly love. I can take or leave anything else from him. Tim Burton hasn't done a good movie since the 90s in my opinion and his style would never work for DB at all.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:59 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:15 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:17 am I mean, honestly, I took Frieza/the Androids as still being part of the whole martial arts motif, but that it was a conflict of the "pure" martial artists like Goku and co. vs. the brutes corrupting it with a rudimentary understanding of what it actually is. In my mind, I said that the Androids aren't real martial artists from a purist standpoint, like how say (this is the only example I can think of at 2 am), the ragtag crew in Twister are the REAL storm chasers, and those other guys with their big budget and their fancy technology are just in it for the money, man!

So I viewed the conflict as MARTIAL ARTISTS vs. Some Guys Who Use Martial Arts.
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:39 amThat's my exact position as well. I think it's valid enough. I guess you could broadly say that any two martial arts styles going against each other is a contest to see which is "more valid", but in this case it feels more like a philosophical conflict of true martial artists who treat combat as a permanent lifestyle vs. these robot guys who are just using ki and hand-to-hand combat as a strategic means to an end but have no deeper understanding or motivation beyond that.
Just wanted to quickly chime in that these are both 100% spot on points, and not at all what I was arguing against earlier in this thread. I've made largely the same/similar points in threads relating specifically to Freeza and his minions, but they apply just as much to Gero and the Artificial Human characters.

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:39 amI agree that dissing a post's length is a silly criticism to make on a discussion forum but, with genuine all due respect, I think it's more down to the tone and particular emphasis of your posts that leads people to assume your emotional state. Like, most of your posts are littered with EMPHATIC CAPITALISED ADVERBS, gratuitous f-bombs, and repeatedly, repeatedly overstressing the same points, that naturally indicates that you're very angry/passionate about whatever topic at hand. It's not much of a reach to infer that. If it frustrates you that people here misinterpret you as an AVGN-type ranter, it would make more sense to keep the rhetorical devices you use to a minimum. I must admit, when I first encountered you here as a naïve chickpea with no idea who most people were, that was the impression I got as well and I didn't quite know what to make of you. I believe that, only when combined with the length that people immediately latch onto, sometimes creates a slightly... oppressive atmosphere to your comments.

Conveying tone through text isn't as hard as people make out, so long as every word, device and punctuation mark is used appositely. If, for a random example, I'm a serious, sombre guy yet everyone assumes my inputs into conversations are jokes, that's down to a failure of my own prose to convey the correct tone of my character and emotional state.
This is all totally valid, and I actually should apologize on my end for my use of caps as punctuation (which I totally agree can in many contexts be easily mistaken for anger). The reason I've often used caps for emphasis rather than other methods is honestly due to little more than time expediency on my part, since I'm often multitasking whatever time I spend posting here with my doing other various things. Despite the length of my posts, they usually in most cases don't actually take all that much time for me hammer out, since I'm a pretty fast speed-typist (comes from my mom, who was a secretary for almost 40 years: and she's even faster than I am).

But part of the reason for the fast time is that hitting shift to make a bold emphasis on something is oftentimes a lot quicker and requires a fraction less thought than it does me highlighting a word and going with another alternative (which I still do, but probably not to the extent that I ought to).

Regardless, this is all stuff I should still probably correct/be more aware of on my end. But yeah the frequent use of CAPS is little more than a by-product of me hammering out a post in fairly quick succession, since I'm often in the middle of other stuff at the same time.

As for the curse words: that's just how I normally talk IRL. Just as with length, use of cursing doesn't necessarily indicate a person's emotional state, as tons of people curse regardless of their mood or tone.
Hey, s'all good man. :) In spite of everything I said, I definitely hope you at least keep some of the usual kick to your posts because they're uniquely brilliant that way (and let's face it, it often is necessary considering the frustrating amount of gunk and misinformation out there). I didn't mean to come off as a prude police browbeating anyone for swearing or anything like that, don't worry, that shit don't bother me. Anyway, even if you're chill when writing them out, I love the feeling of passion that emanates from them so, ya know, shine on Syd. :thumbup:

Also, it was funny you brought up Bolo earlier (point well made that more brutish fighting styles can still be martial arts), I'd been reading up a lot about that absolute beast for a little personal writing project of mine.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:30 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:57 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:34 pm Let me pose this question:
If you are open to a Live Action DB/Z film, who would be suitable for the role of Goku?
I think agender actor Nakayama Satsuki would be an interesting choice! They gave a really good performance as Naki in Kamen Rider Zero-One and I think they would match Gokuu really well.
I can't edit my post anymore but I just want to mention that I have since learned that Nakayama has come out as a man! 😇

https://twitter.com/ne0dym/status/14270 ... 38336?s=19
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:06 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:30 pm <SNIP>
Go look at the DBZ version of those mid air attacks and see how they're just throwing out random fists and kicks like some elementary school yard brawl.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:41 pm

How long until people start suggesting Destin Daniel Cretton for a live action Dragon Ball movie?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:45 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:41 pm How long until people start suggesting Destin Daniel Cretton for a live action Dragon Ball movie?
I've seen the prologue scene to Shang-Chi and was actually quite impressed. We'll see if that quality or higher remained for the rest of the film.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Jord

Post by Jord » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:02 am

This whole topic reminds me of the Saiyan Saga kickstarter fiasco. The end result was a great example of how staying comic-accurate to the source material won't turn out well.

https://youtu.be/Vx-E9pzOFPM

Not only that, but it would be hard to fit a narrative in just 2 hours. I guess the Saiyan saga would be the prime candidate for the first movie? Still, with only about 2 hours it would feel very rushed.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:42 pm

I think a decent live action Dragon Ball movie is possible; it would just take a lot of skill to pull it off right. My biggest fear for a Dragon Ball movie is that they'd either try and make it too gritty, or over emphasize the lighthearted elements of the series.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:48 pm

Ringworm128 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:42 pm I think a decent live action Dragon Ball movie is possible; it would just take a lot of skill to pull it off right. My biggest fear for a Dragon Ball movie is that they'd either try and make it too gritty, or over emphasize the lighthearted elements of the series.
Considering the massive success of the MCU, as well as the underperformance of Zack Snyder’s DC movies (although online perception of those seems to have improved in recent years), I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that you wouldn’t need to worry about a hypothetical new live action Dragon Ball movie being overly gritty.