Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:50 am

Trailer looks nice! Not a huge fan of CGI but I think it's an improvement over the CGI of previous movies. It looks like Gohan is back to using SSJ so he might've stopped training again and lost his ultimate form. I suppose it makes sense since he wasn't interested in entering the 28th world tournament. Also Vegeta is without his armor! The only time he wore it post-Buu saga was in the revival like the Tarble special and DBS so maybe he was intended to abandon it again by EoZ.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:50 am

LightBing wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:39 am Any information about the release in other countries? Or do I have to wait months like with Broly?
Likely, it's how Funimation has been handling the last several movies they've released. Might be a bit sooner because Dragon Ball is evergreen, but I wouldn't count on a simultaneous worldwide release.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:53 am

HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:46 am
FighterZ having 60 FPS frame rate doesn’t mean it looks better. Especially since FighterZ’s frame rate tanks on certain stages.

Objectively, the movie has superior character models, animation since the movie has far more fluid movement despite the choppy frame rate, lighting, and effects than FighterZ. What FighterZ does have is a more stable frame rate which makes fights smoother. The movie is more akin to Kakarot’s DLC cut scenes, which it’s also better than.

In short, the worse than about Super Heroes is the frame rate. Which is an issue that hopefully will be fixed since the frame rate gets more stable in every trailer.
Below 60fps is not the problem but this is below 30 fps hell this is 15-19 fps thats why the movements were extremly choppy. This is looking like a game.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:56 am

Toyotarou: "Toriyama, Gohan has ultimate form in the Super manga and don't wants to use the Super Saiyan forms because he wants to fight like a human".

Toriyama: "Didn't ask".

Toei: "He also has ultimate form in the Super anime".

Toriyama: "Did i stutter?".

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:00 am

Lance Freeman wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:50 am
LightBing wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:39 am Any information about the release in other countries? Or do I have to wait months like with Broly?
Likely, it's how Funimation has been handling the last several movies they've released. Might be a bit sooner because Dragon Ball is evergreen, but I wouldn't count on a simultaneous worldwide release.
That's my fear, it's 2021 but here we are. I don't feel like dodging spoilers(with partial success) for months. Guess they don't like money.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:00 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:56 am Toyotarou: "Toriyama, Gohan has ultimate form in the Super manga and don't wants to use the Super Saiyan forms because he wants to fight like a human".

Gohan turned SSJ in BoG then they edited his hair to be black after he powered-up. RoF took place only a year later and he lost it again so three years is enough to lose it a third time!

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:03 am

Fun trailer. Shame we didn't get more character reveals, since I presume Goten and Trunks will make an appearance.
Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:40 am I don't care either for Gohan and Piccolo being the centre focus considering they've gotten zero development since Battle Of Gods and have been generally not well written or written at all in some cases in major story arcs since the new wave of material.
Agreed with the "generally not well written" part, although I find Gohan endearing in Resurrection 'F'. But I think it's fine to have isolated stories about ancillary characters as long as those characters fit into that story's premise. Super Hero's premise is... well, super heroes, so it makes sense to give Gohan (DB's only true super hero) a central role.

Let's wait and see how they're handled. I'm cautiously optimistic.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:06 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:56 am Toyotarou: "Toriyama, Gohan has ultimate form in the Super manga and don't wants to use the Super Saiyan forms because he wants to fight like a human".

Honestly! I was really looking forward to see where Gohan's new mentality would go

Oh well! :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:07 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:53 am
HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:46 am
FighterZ having 60 FPS frame rate doesn’t mean it looks better. Especially since FighterZ’s frame rate tanks on certain stages.

Objectively, the movie has superior character models, animation since the movie has far more fluid movement despite the choppy frame rate, lighting, and effects than FighterZ. What FighterZ does have is a more stable frame rate which makes fights smoother. The movie is more akin to Kakarot’s DLC cut scenes, which it’s also better than.

In short, the worse than about Super Heroes is the frame rate. Which is an issue that hopefully will be fixed since the frame rate gets more stable in every trailer.
Below 60fps is not the problem but this is below 30 fps hell this is 15-19 fps thats why the movements were extremly choppy. This is looking like a game.
The trailer was definitely not 15-20 FPS. I grew up during the N64 era abs that was no 15 FPS.

If this was ‘a game’, it would be a higher end one.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:09 am

It feels like the Broly situation all over again, in which Toriyama ignored Blue Kaioken / Evolution / Mastered.

In both the anime and manga Gohan kind of ditched the Super Saiyan forms once he got the Ultimate state again. And according to the figures released about the movie, we know that Gohan still has the Ultimate form, so it looks even weirder.

Seriously, how long are movies going to take place in a complete vacuum compared to these two mediums? Broly was a self-contained story that barely referenced past events (although they did exist) and that can basically be watched right after RoF without failing to understand the story. With Super Hero, Goku and Vegeta will likely be on Beerus planet most of the movie so any progress made in the manga doesn't really need to be shown or acknowledged. Will these movies really always be like this? It seems so weird to have yet another continuity, it's confusing enough with two

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:11 am

Ultimate is in the movie since the figurine of Gohan for Super Heroes is Ultimate Gohan.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:17 am

Marz wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:09 am

It feels like the Broly situation all over again, in which Toriyama ignored Blue Kaioken / Evolution / Mastered.

In both the anime and manga Gohan kind of ditched the Super Saiyan forms once he got the Ultimate state again. And according to the figures released about the movie, we know that Gohan still has the Ultimate form, so it looks even weirder.

Seriously, how long are movies going to take place in a complete vacuum compared to these two mediums? Broly was a self-contained story that barely referenced past events (although they did exist) and that can basically be watched right after RoF without failing to understand the story. With Super Hero, Goku and Vegeta will likely be on Beerus planet most of the movie so any progress made in the manga doesn't really need to be shown or acknowledged. Will these movies really always be like this? It seems so weird to have yet another continuity, it's confusing enough with two
It makes sense since Toriyama wrote this movie right after Broly, so he wouldn’t acknowledging what the manga has been doing. And both manga stories are more or less Toyo’s brainchild with Toriyama have a little more input in the latest arc.

For example, Toriyama doesn’t seem to really care about making Vegeta Goku’s equal which is why he never created a form to match UI and SSB Vegeta was stated weaker than SSB Goku in Broly. In comparison, Toyo and Toei really want Vegeta to rival Goku to making new exclusive forms for him.
Kanassa wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:22 am

My reaction to the trailer are....mixed.

I am really happy they are giving some focus to other characters, but now that I've seen more of the animation, I am sorry to say I am not really feeling it. It's not bad, but it doesn't strike me as "movie quality" 3D and I am kinda miffed that the first time Piccolo & co. get a bit of the limelight it will be in such an experimental film. If it performs poorly, chances are they'll think only Goku & Vegeta centric material can rake in money.

Now as far as plot goes, I am really more interested in that. I have this feeling that Piccolo gets attacked at the beginning and gets either kidnapped or - God forbid- dies again, and the reason Gohan is in the complete School of Piccolo get-up is because he wants to save/avenge him. As for why he gets attacked in the first place, I guessing the Gamma's that consider themselves superheroes see him only as the offspring of the Demon King. I am saying this because Piccolo's connection to the Demon King is brought up in his bio for the movie and that hasn't been mentioned for a while now.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:31 am

The Monkey King wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:06 am

Honestly! I was really looking forward to see where Gohan's new mentality would go

Oh well! :lol:
The Japanese phrase means 'as an individual/my own person'; since we know from the figurines that the 'Ultimate' state will be showing up and it's variously presented in Dragon Ball as something that can be activated beyond Super Saiyan, and it's a state of power unique to Gohan, this doesn't seem necessarily contradictory.

Gohan chooses to evolve in his own way, and the Super Saiyan forms aren't the apex of that to be relied on when he's really serious (like he did, say, in Revival of F), but by the same token, that doesn't mean he can't use them. It just relativises their importance to his personal development.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:33 am

Damn they even got rid of Sumitomo too???? I wasn’t the biggest fan of his but I really did like his ost for the last movie Wow :D

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:35 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:33 am Damn they even got rid of Sumitomo too???? I wasn’t the biggest fan of his but I really did like his ost for the last movie Wow :D
So who's the new score composer?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:36 am

HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:44 am Overall, all Dragon Ball movies do usually show fighting because outside of Battle of Gods, none of them really had a deep plot. This movie is hiding more, but I doubt it's because 'they're hiding the thin plot' when that has never been what casual fans care about. Them hiding it seems to speak that there is more going on than people think.
It's not a matter of ''hiding the plot'', it's the blatant lack of material to show. The movie is 4 months away and this is the first trailer with voices. Not even a trailer actually as it doesn't even cross the 1 minute mark, and a lot of it is reused footage from the previous trailer. 2 months ago they were even saying they were still working on the brief teaser they showed at NYCC.

And the main plot at this point looks pretty clear. We just don't know in detail (just like we know next to nothing about the rest of the movie)
Last edited by TheSaiyanGod on Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:37 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:35 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:33 am Damn they even got rid of Sumitomo too???? I wasn’t the biggest fan of his but I really did like his ost for the last movie Wow :D
So who's the new score composer?
Naoki Sato

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:44 am

Glad to see Gohan back in action, but the CGI still looks trash, in fact, It looks even worse the more I see of it in motion. Happy for Gohan fans, but he deserves better than this. The only scene that looks competent is when Piccolo is commenting on RRA and that's because it's essentially a still.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:03 pm

Michsi wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:22 am Now as far as plot goes, I am really more interested in that. I have this feeling that Piccolo gets attacked at the beginning and gets either kidnapped or - God forbid- dies again, and the reason Gohan is in the complete School of Piccolo get-up is because he wants to save/avenge him. As for why he gets attacked in the first place, I guessing the Gamma's that consider themselves superheroes see him only as the offspring of the Demon King. I am saying this because Piccolo's connection to the Demon King is brought up in his bio for the movie and that hasn't been mentioned for a while now.
Would almost mark your for spoilers since I believe you have something going there. There is a reason we get to see Piccolo's house for the first time. It takes the viewer closer to the character. Thus, if something bad happens to him it will have more impact.

Gohan then taking up the Piccolo uniform seems like a logical step from a storytelling perspective, especially since he also dons the cape. He hasn't worn that outfit since the beginning of the Buu saga so there must be a personal reason for this. It's not practicality since if that was the case he would have worn during the ToP.
Your point about the demon king connection is very good as well.