Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 108 - GT 31-35

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 108 - GT 31-35

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:10 am

Hello, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, and welcome to week 108 of the first Dragon Ball rewatch of the decade.
We're doing five episodes a week, and we'll be watching every single episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. All 508 episodes. Plus the TV specials and the movies.
I encourage you all to watch in Japanese with subtitles, especially if you have never done so before, but watch along in whichever way brings you the most joy.

More "solo" trivia from me, except KBABZ once again had several contributions, including doing proofreading and various other adjustments to all my entries. In a way, our status quo from Z has been reversed!
Anyway, this is the penultimate week of the Baby arc. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Apologies for the late posting. It was sorta ready last night, but KBABZ and I haven't had a lot of time to liaise and get the trivia into shape. But we're pretty proud with what we've ended up with this week, I think. :)

Previous thread: Week 107 (GT 26-30)
Next thread: Week 109 (GT 36-40)

Anyway, without further ado...

Episode 475 - What a Surprise?! Sugoroku Space’s Big Collapse (GT episode 31)
Ocean dub title: What a Surprise?! The Sugoroku Space Undergoes a Major Collapse!
Funimation dub title: Collapse From Within
Originally aired 11th of December 1996

Written by: Atsushi Maekawa
Episode director: Yoshihiro Ueda
Animation supervisor: Tadayoshi Yamamuro

Goku grinds some coffee.

Trivia:

Episode 476 - Return Goku!! The Angry Warrior, Oob (GT episode 32)
Ocean dub title: Oob, the Warrior Full of Anger
Funimation dub title: The Return of Uub
Originally aired 8th of January 1997

Written by: Junki Takegami
Episode director: Hidehiko Kadota
Animation supervisor: Yūji Hakamada

Boo eats a ball.

Trivia:

Episode 477 - Take This, Baby! The Reborn Oob’s Finishing Beam!! (GT episode 33)
Ocean dub title: The Resurrected Oob! Hurry, Goku!
Funimation dub title: The Tail's Tale
Originally aired 15th of January 1997

Episode director: Kazuhito Kikuchi
Animation supervisor: Kazuya Hisada

Oob gets swole.

Trivia:

Episode 478 - The Transformation Fails?! Goku’s Ōzaru Rampage!! (GT episode 34)
Ocean dub title: Did the Transformation Fail?! Oozaru Goku Goes On a Rampage!!
Funimation dub title: Back in the Game
Originally aired 22nd of January 1997

Episode director: Osamu Kasai
Animation supervisor: Masayuki Uchiyama

Goku gets swole.

Trivia:

Episode 479 - The Mightiest!! Goku Becomes Super Saiyan 4!! (GT episode 35)
Ocean dub title: Goku Becomes Super-Saiyan 4
Funimation dub title: Goku's Ascension
Originally aired 29th of January 1997

Written by: Atsushi Maekawa
Episode director: Mitsuo Hashimoto
Animation supervisor: Akira Inagami

Baby gets jealous so Bulma gets him swole too.

Trivia:

____

Trivia written by Robo and KBABZ. Episode summaries, airdates, and titles courtesy of Kanzenshuu's episode guide.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 108 - GT 31-35 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:15 am

It still seems like Oob was a wasted character.

Don’t get me wrong I didn’t expect Oob to become the new protagonist just because the manga ended with Goku handpicking him to be his successor but still you would think Oob could have been Krillin in Dragon Ball Z level of importance or something instead of entirely superfluous.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:14 pm

The Sugoro episodes are the worst thing I've ever seen in my life, not just on TV, I'm including the time I snuck into a morgue as a kid.
The arc works just fine but then that nosedive. I don't like that shapeshifter family either.

Coming up with the tail as the thing that was going to save the universe was sweet, I was surprised when I watched it for the first time, going back to the saiyan roots worked, specially against an enemy of the saiyans.
I liked Goku having a golden tail as SS3, but I think as a SS vs Super 17 the tailhair is brown, though.

I loved how Pan makes Goku remember, I hate the art, of course, fucking Uchiyama. The golden ohzaru looked so awful, I mean, compare the Ohzaru from that episode to the Ohzaru from the beginning of the SS4 transformation, which was amazing. Similar to SS3's transformation, only better.
I do not like how much emphasis is put on Goku loving the Earth so much, longing for it so badly. Sure, we all love Earth, most of us, at least, but it just sounds so odd for Goku to show so much love for a planet. It's the Saviour and Planet defender Goku Toei likes to push so much.

I wish SS4 introduction was when adult Goku made a comeback for good, I wouldn't even be against Goku staying in SS4 forever, like an ultimate form...

Uub, yeah, I expected more from him, his fight with Baby was way too short for my taste. And his final input was reduced to an anti-digestive pill.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:38 pm

I liked Pan getting knocked out of the air by her mom! It's nice to see Videl in action even if it's only through brainwashing.

Pan and Oob is an instant ship for me (post-timeskip or whatever). They had some good chemistry going.

Majoob... whatever. It was enough to fill some time until Goku arrived. The pacing of these episodes is still really fast.

Baby barely cared that Goku was alive lol. He just pops in, goes SSJ3 and then they fight.

I really don't like Nozawa's voice on top of the Oozaru screams. It's awful. But it does make the whole thing feel that much sillier, especially during the SSJ4 transformation which is already silly enough, despite being heartfelt.

Goku tasting Pan's tears was a bit much I thought. I did like the beach flashback, and how Goku described the salty taste of the ocean as the result of people peeing in it lol.

I like how dark and twisted things get after Goku is SSJ4. I also like Bulma as Baby's evil queen and loyal servant.

Baby turning Oozaru is a dumb plot choice I think.

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:14 pm ...the time I snuck into a morgue as a kid.
Fuck yeah bro. You're a true G for that. I'm jealous, damn lol.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:55 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:15 am It still seems like Oob was a wasted character.

Don’t get me wrong I didn’t expect Oob to become the new protagonist just because the manga ended with Goku handpicking him to be his successor but still you would think Oob could have been Krillin in Dragon Ball Z level of importance or something instead of entirely superfluous.
Worst part is that both Oob and Boo were wasted. I really liked the buddy cop relationship between Boo and Mr Satan, which was all discarded for Oob to get a brief power up and never be relevant again. I understand the two characters were merged as a sort of redemption for Majin Boo because he had reunited with his former dark half (who was of course reincarnated as Oob) and become whole again, but overall it just felt Mr Satan losing his best friend was all for nothing other than stalling for time.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:16 am

I remember I had a guide that said 'Incredible Battle: Golden Ohzaru vs Golden Ohzaru', like both Goku and Vegeta Baby turned into great apes at the same time and fought as such... and then that never happened, lol. I'm telling you, guides make no sense whatsoever. I would've loved to see a golden ape fight... I was so excited when I read that guide, lol.

Ep.35 has to be one of my favourites, if not my favourite GT episode. Goku looks so bad ass, finally getting to see adult Goku again. And it's like he doesn't even know what he is.

For the original run of DB, my headcanon was that SS4 was the legendary SS. Fuck Broly who couldn't even kill a depleted Goku, or two children later on.

Golden Ohzaru V-Baby was in tune with the typical DB trope of something bad happening to the transformed heroe who seemed to have the fight in his pocket, and then the bad guy gets a break, never a clean win. But not out of hubris like in most Z fights, this time it just happened even though Goku was wasting no time. I just wish we had more out them and not so many KOs and boring Kibito-shin stuff.

Evil Bulma is scary.
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:38 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:14 pm ...the time I snuck into a morgue as a kid.
Fuck yeah bro. You're a true G for that. I'm jealous, damn lol.
Sorry to burst your bubble lol, I was just being funny, Peter Griffin-style. Hopefully, I'll never be in a morgue and live forever.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:39 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:15 am It still seems like Oob was a wasted character.

I agree with you. I believe they just did not have enough Series as to completely involve him in some interesting plot. The ratings were not nice for GT so the show just died.
It's nice to see Videl in action even if it's only through brainwashing.
You bet! :wink:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:03 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:38 pmPan and Oob is an instant ship for me (post-timeskip or whatever).
What timeskip? Between Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT or the one during Dragon Ball GT? Either way it's weird. Uub is five years older than Pan.

Uub is fifteen and Pan is ten (Uub is sixteen and Pan is eleven by the later half of GT). I don't think it's appropriate for one who's leaving teenager years to be with someone who is still entering it. A relationship between Uub and Pan would only be appropriate once Pan reaches eighteen (which won't happen until AGE 797).
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:38 pmThey had some good chemistry going.
Did they? I don't even remember Pan and Uub being in the same location or saying "hi" to one another, for that matter.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:59 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:03 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:38 pmPan and Oob is an instant ship for me (post-timeskip or whatever).
What timeskip? Between Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT or the one during Dragon Ball GT? Either way it's weird. Uub is five years older than Pan.

Uub is fifteen and Pan is ten (Uub is sixteen and Pan is eleven by the later half of GT). I don't think it's appropriate for one who's leaving teenager years to be with someone who is still entering it. A relationship between Uub and Pan would only be appropriate once Pan reaches eighteen (which won't happen until AGE 797).
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:38 pmThey had some good chemistry going.
Did they? I don't even remember Pan and Uub being in the same location or saying "hi" to one another, for that matter.
I meant if there had been a timeskip during GT had the show continued.

In another three to five years? Yeah, I could totally see them together. Who cares about whether she's eighteen or not?

Oob is the one who saved Pan from Baby's infected servants. In that moment, I felt some strong energy between them. And the way Pan was worried for Oob? All of it seemed like they had some kind of connection there, potentially something romantic to be explored in the future.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:48 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:59 pmWho cares about whether she's eighteen or not?
Law, common sense and sane people. Otherwise Uub would be dating a minor.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:11 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:48 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:59 pmWho cares about whether she's eighteen or not?
Law, common sense and sane people. Otherwise Uub would be dating a minor.
I don't think there's anything "sane" about it, quite frankly. Not to mention the law doesn't even apply to the Dragon World.

So Oob's dating a minor? As long as it's an age appropriate relationship, good for him. The law can get fucked.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:28 pm

That's it. You are officially beyond awful.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:54 pm

To be clear, age-appropriate relationship. Nothing indecent. The law can still get fucked tho.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:08 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:28 pm That's it. You are officially beyond awful.
Echoing this statement. Jesus Christ.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:24 pm

While I like the overall structure of the Baby vs. Goku fight with each episode having it's own kind of arc, it's execution leaves a LOT to be desired.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:37 pm

I love you ABED. Never change.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:25 am

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:59 pm Oob is the one who saved Pan from Baby's infected servants. In that moment, I felt some strong energy between them. And the way Pan was worried for Oob? All of it seemed like they had some kind of connection there, potentially something romantic to be explored in the future.
You are definitely reading too far into it.

Jord
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jord » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:45 am

I've looked it up. Pan and Oob are 5 years apart.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:23 pm

Jord wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:45 am I've looked it up. Pan and Oob are 5 years apart.
Which would be fine if they were consenting adults, but neither of them are. So even if we could justify any headcanons for why Pan and Oob would take a romantic interest in one another theres no way they could have the equal power dynamic relationships need.

The age of consent exists to protect children, because at Pan's age they are only beginning to understand the physical and emotional hormonal changes people go through in late childhood. Oob has had more growing up, and as such it wouldn't be fair for him to be romantically involved with someone liable to being vulnerable mentally and emotionally, and could potentially be hurt physically even if it's not intended.

So no, it would in no way, shape or form be right or healthy for Pan to have a boyfriend that is either a teen or adult. She's a kid at her most innocent time, and depriving her of that is simply abuse.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:39 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:08 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:28 pm That's it. You are officially beyond awful.
Echoing this statement. Jesus Christ.
Agreed. Holy fucking shit.

I'd rather we don't relegate yet another thread to MyVisionity being a serious creep and everyone reacting in horror, though. Looks like his post has been reported and we've all voiced our disapproval, so let's try to move on, if we can. I'm really tired of this coming up so constantly.
To be clear, not angry with anyone for taking issue with MyVisionity; calling this shit out is the right move IMO and it's only MyVisionity I have any negative feelings towards, but now that we've all called him out for the sixth or seventh thread in this rewatch, I'd like the rest of this thread to be something I can actually enjoy reading...

--

It is a little disappointing that we never got an Oozaru vs Oozaru battle, but I dig the idea of Vegeta's Saiyan body being taken advantage of to get an Oozaru so the match-up with Goku is more even, and of course it sets us up for Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta later down the line. It's a neat wrinkle to put in the plan, and gives Super Saiyan 4 Goku a more worthy opponent for his first outing.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.