FUNimation streaming all the Dragon Boxes now

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: FUNimation streaming all the Dragon Boxes now

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:10 am

ABED wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:20 am

I don't know the legalities involved but I wish FUNi would put the Ocean dub up on their site. I don't have the Rock the Dragon set, just the DVD's, so if they are ruined, I'm SOL.
There wouldn’t be any legalities. Funimation just doesn’t want their old, edited only, homegrown less casted dub on their site.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:28 am

Considering it's not taking up any shelf space, and how many other damn titles they have, I find that ridiculously dumb.

Also, why don't they have Kai uploaded?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:35 am

For a while I believe Adult Swim had the exclusive rights to stream Kai but I’m pretty sure that expired a while ago.

It’s so weird how in love with Kai Funimation was. Now they’re like”Dragon Ball Z Kai? I don’t know her” Given how their dub of Super is more in line with Kai you’d think they promote Kai better.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:22 am

ABED wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:20 am I don't know the legalities involved but I wish FUNi would put the Ocean dub up on their site. I don't have the Rock the Dragon set, just the DVD's, so if they are ruined, I'm SOL.
The original Saban one? The legalities are simple: Funimation wholly own it and can do whatever the hell they like with it. Same goes for the Pioneer movie trilogy.

They just would prefer if the Canadian cast stayed a buried memory that the mainstream is unaware of. Frankly, we're lucky we even got the RTD set.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:51 am

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but honestly I don't know of *any* streaming service that has multiple english dubs of the same show available like that.

I suspect the thinking is that having multiple versions on a streaming service could be potentially confusing for customers and muddy up data metrics. We're lucky we have subbed and dubbed versions of most shows available.

Best shot of seeing the Ocean Dub again I'd think would probably be another DVD release, and I don't see Funimation bothering. That's just my speculating at least.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:00 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:51 am Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but honestly I don't know of *any* streaming service that has multiple english dubs of the same show available like that.

I suspect the thinking is that having multiple versions on a streaming service could be potentially confusing for customers and muddy up data metrics. We're lucky we have subbed and dubbed versions of most shows available.

Best shot of seeing the Ocean Dub again I'd think would probably be another DVD release, and I don't see Funimation bothering. That's just my speculating at least.
They could at least dump the syndicated dub off on TubiTv. That has a fuckton of nostalgic tv shows.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:01 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:51 am Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but honestly I don't know of *any* streaming service that has multiple english dubs of the same show available like that.

I'd love an SD Bluray with the movies in full HD on another disc for the ocean dub

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:07 pm

It's a shame that all that work would be lost to time. The thing is, the people going on their service know of all this, so would they really be that confused? That's conjecture on my part, but I doubt it's mainstream audiences who are using FUNimationnow.

I like the idea of sending the Ocean dub on TubiTV, a really underrated streamer.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:07 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:20 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:17 am
ABED wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:15 pm That's right, they only had the audio. That's even more petulant.
Well I was only speaking to the DVDs. The only reason previous Funi releases never had them was because Toei themselves didn't even have the audio for them until they got them from Fuji TV for the Dragon Box.

It's also the reason for other missing material. Like the second Dragon Ball OP - a creditless version isn't even on the DBox extras, so it's very likely Toei never had one to give in the first place. Hell the only credit less version of Cha LA is the Android saga one, and Funimation had to finesse creditless versions of the other two by splicing in parts from the Movie 1 and 2 masters.

I don't know why the NEPs aren't on the DBox stream. Syncing purposes maybe?
Interesting. Is this sort of issue present with any other series of around that era? I don't understand how the audio would be missing. I'm talking logistically. Weirder things have happened, but I would like to understand how.

I don't know the legalities involved but I wish FUNi would put the Ocean dub up on their site. I don't have the Rock the Dragon set, just the DVD's, so if they are ruined, I'm SOL.
Back then they weren't thinking about home video distribution. They probably just recorded them specifically for Fuji TV and left it that.

The other stuff I mentioned with the OPs isn't an issue of audio, but whole masters being missing. They likely lost them as they weren't always preserving their tapes in the best way
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:10 pm

That makes sense. A lot of wrestling is lost to time because home video wasn't a big thing until the 80s and many territories just recorded over their tapes.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:17 pm

Regarding next episode previews, Pioneer and ADV went through something similar back in the day with Toei not giving them ones for Sailor Moon. Though Viz was able to work something out, redundant as they are. (For any who didn't watch Sailor Moon, the episodes preview the episode at the beginning so next episode previews aren't really needed).

And like the guy said with different dubs, my HBO Max is acting funny so can't check myself, but I'm guessing the version of My Neighbor Totoro is the one with the Fanning sisters, and not the old one with Cheryl Chase right?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:22 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:07 pm but I doubt it's mainstream audiences who are using FUNimationnow.
It’s a fair assessment since they’re only for anime fans. I only subscribe when I feel like rewatching Z and then I just unsubscribe
I like the idea of sending the Ocean dub on TubiTV, a really underrated streamer.
Yeah they have a great selection and ads are a small price to pay for free streaming. Especially in an era of an oversaturated market of streaming services. The Ocean dub would be right at home with all their other 80s/90s shows

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:30 pm

I wouldn't underestimate just how mainstream anime has gotten over the years, or how many anime fans have only a passing interest in DB/Z and might not know about the multiple dubs and other such things, but the idea that the funimation streaming app might only appeal to people already real deep into anime is a fair point either way.

Tubi (or even a similar free service like PlutoTV or Retrocrush) would absolutely make a great home for something like the Ocean dub. I have trouble imagining Funimation would go for it, but there's nothing really stopping them afaik.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:32 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:22 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:07 pm but I doubt it's mainstream audiences who are using FUNimationnow.
It’s a fair assessment since they’re only for anime fans. I only subscribe when I feel like rewatching Z and then I just unsubscribe
Yeah they have a great selection and ads are a small price to pay for free streaming. Especially in an era of an oversaturated market of streaming services. The Ocean dub would be right at home with all their other 80s/90s shows
TUBI also has a lot of older anime via Diskotec, wich is awesome! Ocean dub would be right at home. Sadly, I think the ocean dub has fallen in the cracks, wich is sad since it was a lot of peoples gateway anime.

I'm just waiting for a fan reconstruction using the 30th. There were Dragon Box versions but those seem to be gone.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:42 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:30 pm I wouldn't underestimate just how mainstream anime
It’s not that it isn’t popular. But not everyone is interested in anime so only anime fans are going to subscribe. Plus a lot of big anime titles can be found on other streaming services with a more diverse selection. I think Dragon Ball Z is one of their only BIG titles exclusively on FunimationNow. One Piece, MHA, Yuyu Hakusho , Dragon Ball, GT, and Super are on Hulu. I think Bleach is on Netflix. It’s going to be mostly people who are really into anime subscribing to them and not people who like “some anime”

It’s like horror is mainstream but I don’t expect people who don’t like horror to subscribe to Shudder.

Tubi (or even a similar free service like PlutoTV or Retrocrush) would absolutely make a great home for something like the Ocean dub. I have trouble imagining Funimation would go for it, but there's nothing really stopping them afaik.
They don’t care about the Ocean dub. Why not make some profit off of licensing it to tubi or another free service? And they can make sure its labeled “Dragon Ball Z: Rock the Dragon Edition. to avoid brand confusion.

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:52 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:42 pm
They don’t care about the Ocean dub. Why not make some profit off of licensing it to tubi or another free service? And they can make sure its labeled “Dragon Ball Z: Rock the Dragon Edition. to avoid brand confusion.
I don't think the issue is profit, (well not directly) but more about having a lot of control over Brand Image and things like that. You know, inane corporate bullshit.

Still, they absolutely should. :P

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:04 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:52 pm
I don't think the issue is profit, (well not directly) but more about having a lot of control over Brand Image and things like that. You know, inane corporate bullshit.

Oh, you’re absolutely right that Funimation isn’t putting out the Ocean dub because they want their “remastered” uncut in-house dub as the one true version but there’s no reason why they shouldn’t just throw it on a free streaming service and have it marketed as cheesy nostalgic comfort food.

I mean that’s basically what they did with the Rock the Dragon boxset. Playing up the 90s Saturday Morning cartoon cheese and NOSTALGIA. You’re not supposed to realize their in-house dub was bad, but they were playing up the awfulness of the syndicated dub for all its worth.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:04 pm
pixie_misa wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:52 pm

Oh, you’re absolutely right that Funimation isn’t putting out the Ocean dub because they want their “remastered” uncut in-house dub as the one true version but there’s no reason why they shouldn’t just throw it on a free streaming service and have it marketed as cheesy nostalgic comfort food.

I mean that’s basically what they did with the Rock the Dragon boxset. Playing up the 90s Saturday Morning cartoon cheese and NOSTALGIA. You’re not supposed to realize their in-house dub was bad, but they were playing up the awfulness of the syndicated dub for all its worth.
Irony being the over 9.000 meme that was capitalized by FUNi was spawned off said dub lol

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:01 pm

How do I access the dragon box versions on the roku funimation app?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:14 pm

supersaiyamangod wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:01 pm How do I access the dragon box versions on the roku funimation app?
Watch in Japanese with subtitles. If it's 4:3, you're watching the Dragon Box version. If not, you're out of luck.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.