How Many Times have You Seen DB All the Way Through?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How Many Times have You Seen DB All the Way Through?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:36 pm

Look, lets not force dvaraza to watch something he doesnt want to. I bet you wouldnt like it if someone forced you to watch something.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:45 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:36 pm Look, lets not force dvaraza to watch something he doesnt want to. I bet you wouldnt like it if someone forced you to watch something.
Nobody’s forcing him to do anything. It’s just kind of weird being on a Dragon Ball forum and refusing to watch the first 3 years of the series.

Dragon Ball is the only series I know where fans won’t even bother with the first few years.

Imagine being on a Buffy forum and saying you’re a fan of Buffy but refuse to watch the high school seasons since you were introduced to the college/adult years and don’t feel the need to watch the first 3 seasons.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:46 pm

What is so wrong about that?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:50 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:46 pm What is so wrong about that?
Can you name any other show, literally any other single show where “Yeah, I refuse to watch season 1-3” is an opinion anyone holds ?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:52 pm

Pretty Cure, Power Rangers, Any Given Long Running Soap Opera...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:01 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:52 pm Pretty Cure, Power Rangers, Any Given Long Running Soap Opera...
Could you watch the first three years of any long running soap even if you wanted to?

Also, Power Rangers doesn't really have seasons as much as series. You don't need to watch all of it. You can pick and choose which series you want and get a full story. DB is not the same. It's all connected.

It's insane. It's like watching a movie 30 minutes into it, falling in love with it and saying "Nah, don't need to see the rest".
Last edited by ABED on Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:04 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:50 pm
Can you name any other show, literally any other single show where “Yeah, I refuse to watch season 1-3” is an opinion anyone holds ?
Actually plenty of shows like that. I'm currently about to give Breaking Bad another go and all sorts of folks are telling me to skip ahead to this or that episode when things really pick up. Agents of Shield is another one one where people say to skip early episodes. Heck, the first second of the Office was pretty terrible. I watched it all and was really shocked it got renewed back in the day. And it was only after I had gone back and rewatched that first second after the finale that I got what they were going for.

I don't mind suffering through bad or boring parts. If at all possoble I always want to start from the beginning, if only to see the whole picture.

I highly suggest to at least one watch through of OG. I feel it's overall a better series than Z.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:07 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:04 pm
Actually plenty of shows like that. I'm currently about to give Breaking Bad another go and all sorts of folks are telling me to skip ahead to this or that episode when things really pick up. Agents of Shield is another one one where people say to skip early episodes. Heck, the first second of the Office was pretty terrible. I watched it all and was really shocked it got renewed back in the day. And it was only after I had gone back and rewatched that first second after the finale that I got what they were going for.

I don't mind suffering through bad or boring parts. If at all possoble I always want to start from the beginning, if only to see the whole picture.

I highly suggest to at least one watch through of OG. I feel it's overall a better series than Z.
Episodes is not the same thing as seasons.

Start at episode 5 isn’t remotely the same thing as “start at episode 154”

Hell, I’ve recommended before elsewhere to start Dragon Ball at episode 14 or at least skip to there if you don’t feel the first few episodes.

Did people tell you to skip to the 3rd season of Breaking Bad or just a couple episodes?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:10 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:04 pm

I'm sorry but skipping Breaking Bad's first season or two is insane. That show hits the ground running and is very serialized. No one should be skipping anything from that masterpiece. The first season of The Office is good, but not great, certainly not terrible, and the only reason people hate on season 1 of AoS is because despite saying it wasn't that, people went into it expecting A list superheroes. I get skipping ahead if you might be worried a show's early episodes won't get someone into a series you enjoy but I can't imagine why someone would actively decide to not go back to the beginning of a show they know they enjoy.

Skipping the first DB arc, I kinda get, though even then, I don't recommend people skipping things that are this serialized. The biggest reasons people give for not wanting to go back is bc they like the characters and level of action in DBZ, but my feeling is "why do you want it all to be the same?" Why don't you want to see the genesis of it? Why do you want the story to give you more of the same?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:30 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:10 pm

Skipping the first DB arc, I kinda get, though even then, I don't recommend people skipping things that are this serialized. The biggest reasons people give for not wanting to go back is bc they like the characters and level of action in DBZ, but my feeling is "why do you want it all to be the same?" Why don't you want to see the genesis of it? Why do you want the story to give you more of the same?
It’s not so much that I would go out of my way to tell prospective new fans to skip the entire first arc its just the Shenron arc is so non-indicative of the direction the series goes in that if someone was really not interested after seeing the first 3 episodes or so they need to at least check out the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai arc. Which at least revamps the series into a martial arts show. And they can always go back to those episodes after they’re gained a better appreciation for the original Dragon Ball.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:32 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:45 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:36 pm Look, lets not force dvaraza to watch something he doesnt want to. I bet you wouldnt like it if someone forced you to watch something.
Nobody’s forcing him to do anything. It’s just kind of weird being on a Dragon Ball forum and refusing to watch the first 3 years of the series.

Dragon Ball is the only series I know where fans won’t even bother with the first few years.

Imagine being on a Buffy forum and saying you’re a fan of Buffy but refuse to watch the high school seasons since you were introduced to the college/adult years and don’t feel the need to watch the first 3 seasons.
Buffy sucks though so you should just skip the whole thing. *ba dum tsh*

I think there is merit in watching what one can from the 1986 cartoon series or reading the 1984 comic. I understand that it's content can be more than a little insulting, though.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:32 pm

dva_raza wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:28 pm
pixie_misa wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:14 pm Have you considered that these characters might seem uninteresting from what you've seen of them in Z and Super because their most interesting and relevant moments already happened in DB? Or that some of those characters might have been widly different feeling in their first appearances? You might be surprised at how vicious and nasty Tenshinhan is in his first arc for example.

Plus missing out on a lot of really cool villains (Taopaipai! Piccolo Daimao!) that never appear in DBZ onward at all.

IDK it just seems weird to be adamant about all these assumptions of what the show will be like without actually watching it.
Look I don’t mean to be rude but since an earlier post of yours I had the suspicion you don’t actually read but just skim and reply (kinda the same with ABED tbh) and now I’m sure it’s the case.
Oh piss off.

Why do I even fucking bother.

Also don't ever compare me to ABED.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:45 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:32 pm
pixie_misa wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:14 pm Have you considered that these characters might seem uninteresting from what you've seen of them in Z and Super because their most interesting and relevant moments already happened in DB? Or that some of those characters might have been widly different feeling in their first appearances? You might be surprised at how vicious and nasty Tenshinhan is in his first arc for example.

Plus missing out on a lot of really cool villains (Taopaipai! Piccolo Daimao!) that never appear in DBZ onward at all.

IDK it just seems weird to be adamant about all these assumptions of what the show will be like without actually watching it.
Look I don’t mean to be rude but since an earlier post of yours I had the suspicion you don’t actually read but just skim and reply (kinda the same with ABED tbh) and now I’m sure it’s the case.
Oh piss off.

LOL ok. You impled something that I never said and then you get mad?
I didn't compare you to anyone by the way, I just said that both of you have given more that one response to things that I never said and evidence the fact that you didn't actually read

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:50 pm

Go fuck yourself

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:54 pm

You know what, if there's a way to delete my account here I'd love if someone would do it. I try to contribute and just get told i'm illiterate or can't think, and I'm fucking sick of it.

Y'all are a bunch of assholes. You can keep your shitty forum.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:58 pm

dva_raza wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:45 pm
pixie_misa wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:32 pm

Oh piss off.

LOL ok. You impled something that I never said and then you get mad?
I didn't compare you to anyone by the way, I just said that both of you have given more that one response to things that I never said and evidence the fact that you didn't actually read
I do read, but it's still possible to be mistaken about a point being made.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:59 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:50 pm Go fuck yourself
You know what, if there's a way to delete my account here I'd love if someone would do it. I try to contribute and just get told i'm illiterate or can't think, and I'm fucking sick of it.

Y'all are a bunch of assholes. You can keep your shitty forum.

Yeaaah, spewing crap like this at other members will get you banned very quickly. I wouldn't do it if i were you because keep it up too much more and VegettoEX or one of the other admins/mods will take action.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:01 pm

yeah, let's not make this stuff personal. It's a silly thread about how many times we've seen DB.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:12 pm

It's not that strange for people to watch later seasons of shows and just ignore the early stuff. I've heard from people that did it with stuff like ER, Smallville, X-Files just to name a few.

Plus with anime, it's even easier to skip early arcs because of the tendency to adapt manga into separate tv series like with DB and DBZ.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:15 pm

Really? Those early seasons of The X-Files and Smallville areamong their best.
Last edited by ABED on Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.