The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a joke

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vekurotto
Regular

Re: The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a

Post by Vekurotto » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:42 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:Aw, don't tell me Funimation actually said that. I'd rather them handle One Piece the way they did Dragonball then for them to think One Piece is "the serious business."
Yeah they did say that and at the same time I almost went into a seizure because of it. I could show you guys the email if you want or if I can, (I don't know if I can...)
SSj Kaboom wrote: I think they're trying very hard to get the "WE'RE NOT 4KIDS" message across, by re-marketing the show towards an older audience.
Yeah but you can get that across without making One Piece seem like it was originally a high end PG-13 movie when in actuality it's, uh, not. That and I think it's stupid to deny that One Piece is for children and say that it's for an older audience. I'm not saying that they can't swear, that would be stupid, but they swear too much for the tone of the series IMO.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:56 pm

Vekurotto wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote: I think they're trying very hard to get the "WE'RE NOT 4KIDS" message across, by re-marketing the show towards an older audience.
Yeah but you can get that across without making One Piece seem like it was originally a high end PG-13 movie when in actuality it's, uh, not. That and I think it's stupid to deny that One Piece is for children and say that it's for an older audience. I'm not saying that they can't swear, that would be stupid, but they swear too much for the tone of the series IMO.
I know, and I agree. But like I said, I believe their going in this direction will slow down considerably once they feel they've gotten the "we're not 4Kids" message clearly across. Not so much because of the content of the show itself, but more to show that it's being handled differently, by a more competent company. Swearing aside, it's still practically a completely different show, now that it's in the hands of competent dubbers.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:10 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Swearing aside, it's still practically a completely different show, now that it's in the hands of competent dubbers.
Oh yeah I agree, what I've heard of the Funi dub is a hell of a lot better than what 4kids did so I'm thankful for that.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:43 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
Vekurotto wrote:I actually emailed Funi about it and told them about the excessive swearing and told that One Piece is a show primarily for preteens even in Japan and didn't need as much swearing as it did yet they insisted that it wasn't and that the original One Piece is for a older mature audience so they had to put excessive swearing in :roll:.
Aw, don't tell me Funimation actually said that. I'd rather them handle One Piece the way they did Dragonball then for them to think One Piece is "the serious business."
While I do think the uncut One Piece-dub has too much cursing, (more than the fansubs did, how ironic is that?) it's still infinitely better than Dragonball's dub in every way. I'd rather have Luffy casually asking "Who the hell are you guys?", which by the way is completely in-character for him, than having Goku shout "Dang it!" when Namek explodes. (Yes, I know that's not what the dub said in that scene, but I think that's a good example anyway.)
In the dub, Goku yelled, "Oh No!" English Manga, "I can't Stop It!"

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:11 pm

Super Sonic wrote:In the dub, Goku yelled, "Oh No!" English Manga, "I can't Stop It!"
In the original he screams "chikushou!!", which is more or less equivalent to "damn it!" or "son of a bitch!".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:36 pm

On the issue of swearing, I ran into a problem on the scanlation site I use for Naruto where out of the blue almost every panel had swearing. So much so that I strongly considered never going back to the site (this from a guy who's really into rap).

The way I see it, if in the original then use it. If you can find some milder language to use and still get the point across, then do it.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:42 am

I agree with the first post. I mean, the misses and I saw some of the Saiyan saga re-dub (Vegeta saga I guess it's called now) and man oh man... the bad acting.. the bad lines.. the added dialogue... to think that this was dubbed AFTER the successfully dubbed FMA series... and by the same guys and voice actors.... I mean really.. do they just WANT DBZ to suck or something? Is DBZ really so bad-ass that kids will love no matter how sucky they dub it???

It's almost as if when they do the recording session they tell Chris Sabat (or anyone else)- ok... this next set is for One Pie...... oh wait.. it's just more Dragonball Z. You'll have to tone it down a notch, it's not like we're dubbing a REAL anime here. Don't try too hard, who cares if it comes out slipped up anyways. It's only DBZ."

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:51 am

I love their Dub of One Piece. Great voices, the ENG adaptions of the OP & ED are great. Plus of course, the scripts are acurate.

There was just one time through the Box Set that I was unhappy with a Dub line.

After Mohji's Lion Richie knocks Luffy through a house, Luffy rises and Nami freaks out and says "HOW CAN YOU STILL BE ALIVE?!?!"

In the original version Luffy says:

"Is it wrong to be alive?"

In the Dub he says:

"Just got lucky I guess"

To me that was a really bad change. Because it's one of the early moments in the series where we get a (atleast to me) defining moment about who Luffy is. And that's the kind of guy who is in a sense naive about his own power surprising others. The Dub gives something close to the opposite.

But other then that 1 line...I love the Dub.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

mrkaizoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by mrkaizoku » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:58 am

Big Momma wrote: Man, if there's one thing that irks me, it's when people think a dub isn't truely "uncut" until there is cussing in it. :x I personally don't think you need cursing in something to make it seem more "extreme" or "realistic". There are many other words that can be used, and that won't offend as many people.
Granted, I don't mind a few. Maybe one or two in somewhere, but I think crap/etc. are just as good for use.
Just a warning for you who "Can't stomach swearing", there are some foul words ahead. You've been advised!

Here are just a few of the words off the top of my head that appear quite often in "One Piece", "Dragonball", and countless (literally) others:

くそたれ- (kusotare) shit head or bastard

ふざけんなよ- (fuzakennayo) stop fucking around with me, you're full of shit, and so on.

くそ- (kuso) shit, damn can also be made into compound words. One of my favorites being くそがき (kusogaki) damn kid/s

くそくらえ- (kusokurae) literally means eat shit. Fuck off!

ちくしょう- (chikushou/chikushyou) damn it, son of a bitch

As you can see these are just a few words and they appear quite frequently. If you change them to pseudo cursing it totally negates a scenes emotional impact. I doubt that Goku is going to say "Darn you Freeza for KILLING my best friend" or Raditz saying "Darn it" when he gets a honey dew sized hole put through his chest. There are sometimes when swearing is just absolutely necessary. I can't get behind a dub that dumbs down emotions just so it can be more palatable to children.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:33 am

Well, these swearing words can be interpreted differently seen from different situations...

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:33 am

I actually love it when they add swearing when its not needed. Like Appleseed, or Hellsing Ultimate when Jan says he's going to skull fuck Intergra. :lol:

And why do Americans think Hell is a swear anyway?

For the One Piece dub, fans across America and England are lining up outside their studios to have sex with them, why wasn't it the same with the Naruto dub? I'm not really a Naruto fan, but the dub is amazing, incredibly accurate. Except for Believe it! of course.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:22 am

The Time Traveller wrote:For the One Piece dub, fans across America and England are lining up outside their studios to have sex with them, why wasn't it the same with the Naruto dub?
Because One Piece had an absolute nightmare of a dub for 4 years before this new improved dub of awesomeness came along... It's good as it is, but it's practically a gift from God when you compare it to the 4Kids-nightmare. Naruto, on the other hand, was done right (mostly) from the beginning, and most anime-nerds don't appreciate quality dubbing it seems. Like, complaining that "NARUTO SOUNDS LIKE A GIRL ARGH!" even though he sounds like a girl in the japanese version too...

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:05 am

Coola Yagami wrote:I agree with the first post. I mean, the misses and I saw some of the Saiyan saga re-dub (Vegeta saga I guess it's called now) and man oh man... the bad acting.. the bad lines.. the added dialogue... to think that this was dubbed AFTER the successfully dubbed FMA series... and by the same guys and voice actors.... I mean really.. do they just WANT DBZ to suck or something? Is DBZ really so bad-ass that kids will love no matter how sucky they dub it???

It's almost as if when they do the recording session they tell Chris Sabat (or anyone else)- ok... this next set is for One Pie...... oh wait.. it's just more Dragonball Z. You'll have to tone it down a notch, it's not like we're dubbing a REAL anime here. Don't try too hard, who cares if it comes out slipped up anyways. It's only DBZ."
A big problem with the redub was simply that it used 90% of the old script (outside of the "uncut" portions). Most of the shitty dialogue from the mid-90's made it back in, just with the new vocal cast.
The Time Traveller wrote: For the One Piece dub, fans across America and England are lining up outside their studios to have sex with them, why wasn't it the same with the Naruto dub? I'm not really a Naruto fan, but the dub is amazing, incredibly accurate. Except for Believe it! of course.
How would you have handled dattebayo or (verb)ttebayo? It doesn't directly translate, but they needed something to convey that Naruto spoke in an childish (and mildly "tough") way. And there were lip synching issues. Sure, "Believe it" is annoying as hell... but let's face it, Naruto's an annoying kid. That's how he is written. We gloss over this when watching in Japanese because the subbers ignore dattebayo, and we don't associate anything with term. But that doesn't change the fact that Naruto is written to be an annoying brat with an annoying catch-phrase.

I have a question. YYH- does the Japanese version have swearing? I love the dub of that (Kuwabara's voice aside), and watch it almost exclusively in English. I remember freaking out when Yusuke started swearing like a sailor on Cartoon Network.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:25 am

I have a question. YYH- does the Japanese version have swearing?
Quite a bit.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:13 pm

Japanese YYH has swearing but Yusuke's more of a foul-mouthed punk in English than he is in Japanese. With what Lavendar Saiyan said about revised dialogue reminded me of a moment in YYH also when Genkai puts the spirit cuffs on Yusuke. In the Japanese version of the anime and English manga, Yusuke remarks that it's heavy, while the uncut dub has him say, "Hey, I'm not into this kinky stuff and you're way too old!"
Because One Piece had an absolute nightmare of a dub for 4 years before this new improved dub of awesomeness came along... It's good as it is, but it's practically a gift from God when you compare it to the 4Kids-nightmare. Naruto, on the other hand, was done right (mostly) from the beginning, and most anime-nerds don't appreciate quality dubbing it seems. Like, complaining that "NARUTO SOUNDS LIKE A GIRL ARGH!" even though he sounds like a girl in the japanese version too...
Also Naruto's VA's Emmy win for voice acting silenced a lot of critics when they learned of it.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:00 pm

Onikage725 wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote: For the One Piece dub, fans across America and England are lining up outside their studios to have sex with them, why wasn't it the same with the Naruto dub? I'm not really a Naruto fan, but the dub is amazing, incredibly accurate. Except for Believe it! of course.
How would you have handled dattebayo or (verb)ttebayo? It doesn't directly translate, but they needed something to convey that Naruto spoke in an childish (and mildly "tough") way.
I would have had him talk like Ned Flanders.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:21 pm

Herms wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:In the dub, Goku yelled, "Oh No!" English Manga, "I can't Stop It!"
In the original he screams "chikushou!!", which is more or less equivalent to "damn it!" or "son of a bitch!".
FUNI usually translates chikushou into something PG level, but I've seen it used for every known American swear word.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:54 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Onikage725 wrote:
How would you have handled dattebayo or (verb)ttebayo? It doesn't directly translate, but they needed something to convey that Naruto spoke in an childish (and mildly "tough") way.
I would have had him talk like Ned Flanders.
That would actually be enough for me to stop hating Naruto.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:08 pm

mrkaizoku wrote:
Big Momma wrote: Man, if there's one thing that irks me, it's when people think a dub isn't truely "uncut" until there is cussing in it. :x I personally don't think you need cursing in something to make it seem more "extreme" or "realistic". There are many other words that can be used, and that won't offend as many people.
Granted, I don't mind a few. Maybe one or two in somewhere, but I think crap/etc. are just as good for use.
Just a warning for you who "Can't stomach swearing", there are some foul words ahead. You've been advised!

Here are just a few of the words off the top of my head that appear quite often in "One Piece", "Dragonball", and countless (literally) others:

くそたれ- (kusotare) shit head or bastard

ふざけんなよ- (fuzakennayo) stop fucking around with me, you're full of shit, and so on.

くそ- (kuso) shit, damn can also be made into compound words. One of my favorites being くそがき (kusogaki) damn kid/s

くそくらえ- (kusokurae) literally means eat shit. Fuck off!

ちくしょう- (chikushou/chikushyou) damn it, son of a bitch

As you can see these are just a few words and they appear quite frequently. If you change them to pseudo cursing it totally negates a scenes emotional impact. I doubt that Goku is going to say "Darn you Freeza for KILLING my best friend" or Raditz saying "Darn it" when he gets a honey dew sized hole put through his chest. There are sometimes when swearing is just absolutely necessary. I can't get behind a dub that dumbs down emotions just so it can be more palatable to children.
I'm not saying that it's never neccesary, I'm just saying I dislike it when people think it IS needed more so than neccessary.
Also, those words don't have to be translated like that, it's a matter of preference.

Except for Believe it! of course.
They haven't used that in a good 100 episodes. :wink:
FUNI usually translates chikushou into something PG level, but I've seen it used for every known American swear word.
This is true, it's all a matter of preference. Words like "Crap" work just as well.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

mrkaizoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by mrkaizoku » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:57 pm

sangofe wrote:Well, these swearing words can be interpreted differently seen from different situations...
Big Momma wrote: Also, those words don't have to be translated like that, it's a matter of preference.
This is true, it's all a matter of preference. Words like "Crap" work just as well.
Just a heads up my post will contain adult content!:D

Certainly the example words I used can be translated differently, BUT they have to be translated into something vulgar. All of the examples I used are vulgar terms. So yes kusokurae could be translated to eat shit or fuck off, but not buzz off or get lost. If you translate these words like that you are watering them down and changing the original meaning. Let me give you an example, take the movie "Die Hard". "Die Hard" is filled with profanity. The movie uses the words fuck and shit more times than can be counted. Now Japan (or any other Country) translates "Die Hard" into their language and they translate the word fuck as 'intercourse' or 'sex', and the word shit as 'feces'. It may be a literal meaning to the word, but it certainly isn't what is being said or what was meant.

So it isn't really a matter of preference as much as it is a matter of accuracy. These words have to be translated to something equivalent. Screaming "Get lost" is certainly not the same as screaming "kusokurae". Sure it has the same meaning, but it doesn't carry the same weight. So no a word like "Crap" doesn't work just as well.

Big Momma wrote:I'm not saying that it's never neccesary, I'm just saying I dislike it when people think it IS needed more so than neccessary.

The only time I think swearing should be present is when it is present in the source material.