Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:38 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:12 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:23 pmReally... no, Dragon ball GT was technically canon until it was eventually made clear that it wasn't anymore...

I don't see the reason to they complain it, it happens all the time... like the case of star wars comics

and the anime is taken into account at least since it is revealed that goku faced kefla and ribrianne in the broly movie
Who mentioned GT? I don't remember there being any discussion around GT's canonicity back when it was new, but then I wasn't really aware of the author's retirement then. Nowadays, it's considered non-canon for the same reasons the anime filler are non-canon. Toriyama didn't write it, and the stuff he did write (Super) contradicts it. But since we have Super movies, the anime, and the manga, each Toriyama's involvement but different details, the question of what is "canon" is more muddy.

I actually found it weird that Kale was not mentioned once in the Broly movie. Kale was basically designed to be genderbent Broly, and they both have the same green forms. Yet not once did Goku or Vegeta say, "Oh, that looks familiar. We met someone recently with the same transformation." It was as if Kale didn't exist, and Broly was the first person they'd ever seen with such a power.
I mention GT as an example... if it is argued that a material is canon or not... it has nothing to do with someone hating it lol it's a pretty bad argument

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:32 pm

Which movie was it that ended with a series of pages from the entire original DB manga? I could imagine Super Hero using a similar technique, but there's probably no reason why they would have to. For better or for worse, DBS stories tend to be pretty self contained.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:34 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:32 pm Which movie was it that ended with a series of pages from the entire original DB manga? I could imagine Super Hero using a similar technique, but there's probably no reason why they would have to. For better or for worse, DBS stories tend to be pretty self contained.
That was BoG.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:04 pm

I haven't been following all the pieces of news for this or the general opinions and expectations the same way that I did with Resurrection F and Broly.

How correct would I be in saying that there's an expectation that the main villain is being kept secret though it's being teased and that fans are expecting that villain to be Cell?

Are people assuming Cell is the real main villain of this? Or at least a new version of him?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:58 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:04 pm I haven't been following all the pieces of news for this or the general opinions and expectations the same way that I did with Resurrection F and Broly.

How correct would I be in saying that there's an expectation that the main villain is being kept secret though it's being teased and that fans are expecting that villain to be Cell?

Are people assuming Cell is the real main villain of this? Or at least a new version of him?
I definitely saw a lot of rumors from fans betting on Cell. While I love Norio Wakamoto as voice actor everywhere he is and he always cracks me up in Gintama or as a laidback drunkard Johny in Guilty Gear, I hope that is not the case.

I am betting on new enemy or some next Cell 2.0 in simmilar way that Android 21 was Majin Buu based android. But, it would be so cool if Norio Wakamoto voiced the new villain in the likes of Ryusei Nakao voicing all the Freeza race characters.
Let's see, unless the machine is some doomsday device only, which I highly doubt as it looks like some incubation chamber.

Looking forward. Cell arc is not my favorite arc, but I kinda liked the story with Android 21 in FighterZ, except for the weird grindfest and soul of warrior mechanic using all the series characters in videogame way. I am more fan of the demon based enemies in the show, like Piccolo initially, Freeza altough alien had a Japanese yokai look to an extent and Buu is pretty much a demon as well.
You can artificially create only as many warriors to rival Goku and Vegeta, so it makes sense that the focus is on Piccolo and Gohan, as the god tier might be too much for RR to handle.
Still baffled by Piccolo changing his gi colors when transforming, unless it's the aura changing the shades like with Super Saiyan.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:31 am

In DBS Super Superhero movie Pan is 3 years old, that is what the bio says.

In EOZ the announcer at the Martial Art Tournament at EOZ says that Pan is 4 years old.

The age difference between the movie and EOZ is just 1 year.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:15 am

I have this feeling that the ones making the movie may also think that. They are saying she is three in order to place this movie one year before the tournament, assuming that the following year will be the one she'll turn four. This would be a mistake.

This would mean Pan was born in AGE 780, same year as Bra. Dragon Ball Super outright confirmed this is not the case, Pan is indeed one year older than Bra. Let's just hope the only thing they address is her age (thus placing the movie in AGE 782), anything more than that would certainly lead to more unnecessary and avoidable annoyances.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:47 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:15 am I have this feeling that the ones making the movie may also think that. They are saying she is three in order to place this movie one year before the tournament, assuming that the following year will be the one she'll turn four. This would be a mistake.

This would mean Pan was born in AGE 780, same year as Bra. Dragon Ball Super outright confirmed this is not the case, Pan is indeed one year older than Bra. Let's just hope the only thing they address is her age (thus placing the movie in AGE 782), anything more than that would certainly lead to more unnecessary and avoidable annoyances.
Not necessarily. Battle of Gods took place on August 778. At which point Videl was already pregnant so the latest she could have been born was May 779.

The World Tournament during EoZ was seemingly May 784 though but they did say she was 4 years old but that's easily explained away as long as her birthday was later on in May. She would just have been 4 years old as they said and about to turn 5 later that month.

If Pan is 3 years old in this movie it means it could take place anywhere between May 782 and April 783 depending on if she's 3 years old and 0 months and up to 3 years old and 11 months.

The manga currently seems to be in Age 780 or 781.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:05 am

Cell is sorta a "nothing" character to me, and I don't think he has much to offer from a storytelling perspective, especially if he's introduced near the end of the film, but I have to admit, it would be fun to see him get whooped by Pan.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:36 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:47 amNot necessarily. Battle of Gods took place on August 778. At which point Videl was already pregnant so the latest she could have been born was May 779.
As I already explained in detail, it's better if we don't take official months into consideration. Movie 14 would then take place as early as April or May, AGE 778, to accommodate all subsequent events (remember that there is a six-month timeskip during Movie 15, and you also have to cram Universe 6 saga and Future Trunks saga in AGE 779 as well).

Months are irrelevant, as long as the events take place in their supposed years, all will be fine.
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:47 amThe World Tournament during EoZ was seemingly May 784 though but they did say she was 4 years old but that's easily explained away as long as her birthday was later on in May. She would just have been 4 years old as they said and about to turn 5 later that month.
You do realize that is the assumption I take, right? I've said that Pan is four during the tournament but will turn five later that same year, for... well, ages now. Countless of posts of me saying this right here on this very forum. But to be honest, it's no longer an "assumption", this idea has to be taken into consideration now that Pan's birth year has been confirmed.
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:47 amIf Pan is 3 years old in this movie it means it could take place anywhere between May 782 and April 783 depending on if she's 3 years old and 0 months and up to 3 years old and 11 months.
Could be. But for the sake of clarification (and because we know they always make mistake with the dates), it's better that if the movie is supposed to take place in AGE 783, then it addresses that by depicting Pan's fourth birthday or a hint that "the tournamet will take place within a year". Otherwise all we would have would be evidences that the movie is indeed in AGE 782, as that's the year Pan is three years old.
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:47 amThe manga currently seems to be in Age 780 or 781.
It's the latter.

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:44 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:36 amMovie 14 would then take place as early as April or May, AGE 778, to accommodate all subsequent events (remember that there is a six-month timeskip during Movie 15, and you also have to cram Universe 6 saga and Future Trunks saga in AGE 779 as well).
Why would it be April or May? BoG took place in August because it was Bulma's birthday.

RoF couldn't take place before May 779 otherwise Pan would have been 5 during EoZ instead of 4.

That leaves plenty of room for the Universe 6 and Goku Black sagas. The Copy Monaka arc only took place days after the Universe 6 arc and the end of that coincided with the beginning of the Goku Black arc.

Not much time passed between Frieza and Goku Black which makes sense as Whis said he couldn't reverse time as he'd only just done it recently.
Otherwise all we would have would be evidences that the movie is indeed in AGE 782, as that's the year Pan is three years old.
Does it really matter either way what year it takes place in? It's really only one or the other.
It's the latter.
How do you know that?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:17 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:44 pmWhy would it be April or May? BoG took place in August because it was Bulma's birthday.

RoF couldn't take place before May 779 otherwise Pan would have been 5 during EoZ instead of 4.
I just said it's April or May to accommodate all subsequent events, but without affecting Videl's pregnancy (if it's April, Pan is born in January. If it's May, Pan is born in February). It can't be August if you take everything into consideration (timeskip, wishes, etc).
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:44 pmThat leaves plenty of room for the Universe 6 and Goku Black sagas.
Only if you are willing to assume that the timeskip between Movie 15, Universe 6 saga and Future Trunks sagas is days or weeks.
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:44 pmDoes it really matter either way what year it takes place in? It's really only one or the other.
Yes, as it might contradict Pan's birth year/age.
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:44 pmHow do you know that?
I explained everything here.

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:24 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:17 pm If it's May, Pan is born in February). It can't be August if you take everything into consideration (timeskip, wishes, etc).
The only thing you can't take into account is the extra filler wish when Beerus told Shenron to scram but of course that being filler it doesn't really matter.
Only if you are willing to assume that the timeskip between Movie 15, Universe 6 saga and Future Trunks sagas is days or weeks.
Which you can. Again Whis said at the start of the Future Trunks Saga that he could reverse time because he had done so recently. I don't think it was particularly established how much time passed from the end of RoF to the start of the Universe 6 Saga but it doesn't have to be much. That took place over the course of a few days. Copy Monaka was said to be a few days later and the final episode of that showed Trunks on the run from Goku Black which then picked up with the start of that arc. Doesn't mean that Trunks' scene took place at the same time as what was going on with Copy Monaka (or in parallel with it) but no reason to say it wasn't either.

All in all Whis saying it was recent means that it could be days or weeks, it's not really an assumption it was said.
Yes, as it might contradict Pan's birth year/age.
The birth year could be correct either way. She'd either be a younger or older 3 year old that's all.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:53 am

Happy Release Day everyone :lol:

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:47 am

Right, I just saw the film today, and here are my thoughts:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:24 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:47 am Right, I just saw the film today, and here are my thoughts:
Why are you posting a meme that died around January 2019?

Jord

Post by Jord » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:46 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:47 am Right, I just saw the film today, and here are my thoughts:
Wow. Didn't know Roshi got a new form in this movie!

Super Saiyan God
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Saiyan God » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:22 pm

Dragon ball super super heroes coming into sbdh as a new arc on 12 may 2022
https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1517513549832069120

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:59 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:53 am From official account:

https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... bZGxziRlkQ

DBS: Broly will premiere on Fuji TV on 16th April, after this, a special video explaining the highlights of the DBS: SUPER HERO will be broadcasted.
Japanese Animation TV Ranking, April 11-17

The Dragon Ball Super: Broly film aired on Fuji TV on Saturday, April 16 at 9:00 p.m. and it earned a 5.6% rating, performing exactly Dragon Ball Super average rating.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:23 pm

Little back-up interview comic featuring the director of Super Hero from the most recent V-Jump up and translated on the main site:

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... hapter-35/

Mostly fluff, but a few tidbits like him having preferred the style he used in a different proof-of-concept pitch, and an homage to the three Namekian warriors Freeza’s goons kill.