Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by sigmasigma » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:55 pm

Soba Mask wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:34 pm
kemuri07 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:26 pm I've been saying this for awhile: Anyone who is so worried about continuity is just going to give themselves a head-ache. As far as Toei is concerned, the anime, the manga, and the movies all are in a separate continuity. They borrow things from each other so they use a similar language, but there's no way that anything that happens in this moviewill inform us what will happen in the manga.

Also...I think that peope who are shocked that the movies are used to sell toys--have y'all not seen the original 12 Dragon Ball movies. Hell even Super Broly is literally just there to sell people on the new version of Broly. That is all these movies are.
Big problem is... That we never had a movie about stuff mentioned like ToP. So we don't know what the movie canon ever will for ToP
Maybe it is a continuation of the DBS story outline by Toriyama

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:25 pm

sigmasigma wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:55 pm
Soba Mask wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:34 pm
kemuri07 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:26 pm I've been saying this for awhile: Anyone who is so worried about continuity is just going to give themselves a head-ache. As far as Toei is concerned, the anime, the manga, and the movies all are in a separate continuity. They borrow things from each other so they use a similar language, but there's no way that anything that happens in this moviewill inform us what will happen in the manga.

Also...I think that peope who are shocked that the movies are used to sell toys--have y'all not seen the original 12 Dragon Ball movies. Hell even Super Broly is literally just there to sell people on the new version of Broly. That is all these movies are.
Big problem is... That we never had a movie about stuff mentioned like ToP. So we don't know what the movie canon ever will for ToP
Maybe it is a continuation of the DBS story outline by Toriyama
That's a given but we don't know which one is more legit to the movies.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:31 pm

This gap between the Japanese and US release is bonkers.

I know what the plan is, but this just seems unnecessarily long. I know once full advertising in the US begins it won't really matter, but why make the few fans who do follow the series so close wait?

What is the strategy behind this?
Last edited by ClutchBangstrip on Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:31 pm

I'm now 80% sure that Toriyama is actually setting up the Shadow Dragons into Dragon Ball Super. I just wonder how long to we how to wait, maybe we will get a few more arcs where there will be a lot of abuse of the dragon balls.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:34 pm

Dragmobot12 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:31 pm I'm now 80% sure that Toriyama is actually setting up the Shadow Dragons into Dragon Ball Super. I just wonder how long to we how to wait, maybe we will get a few more arcs where there will be a lot of abuse of the dragon balls.

By that logic they should already be a thing because Bulma

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:36 pm

Soba Mask wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:34 pm
Dragmobot12 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:31 pm I'm now 80% sure that Toriyama is actually setting up the Shadow Dragons into Dragon Ball Super. I just wonder how long to we how to wait, maybe we will get a few more arcs where there will be a lot of abuse of the dragon balls.

By that logic they should already be a thing because Bulma
What if a Namekian is forbidden to do such things, could it be that maybe Piccolo made a mistake?

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:40 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:42 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:42 amI just can't help but feel like with the story being told, it didn't justify nearly 4 years of production, especially if this movie doesn't actually lead to anything significant for any of the characters.
I think at the very least Dr. Hedo and Gamma 1 are being set up to be recurring characters that assist other leads in some capacity, much like Cheelai with Broly. I just hope Toriyama will know what to do with all of these characters going forward.

Otherwise I agree the story is very underwhelming given how much time Dragon Ball has been on a break, and I didn't want new forms for Gohan and Piccolo.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the animation, and hearing Nozawa screaming Makankosappo though. I'll resetve judgement until I've seen the movie, if it ends up feeling like a better version of Bio Broly I'll be happy.
Not hard at all.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:46 pm

I've said the same thing that these movies are essentially theme park rides to push merch all i ask is they make them fun tbh.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:08 pm

BWri wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:23 amThough, the forms do have more to them then say SSB design-wise which was mostly just recolored SSJ. If we're talking substance, then SSB probably has the best writing behind it due to how layered it was in the manga. UI is coming into its own too, but it still feels kind of gimmicky. Gohan and Piccolo's new forms have the potential to be that good and multilayered.
Omen and UI were the only DBS forms I liked to be honest. I don't mind these new forms too much and hope they get more of an explanation. Piccolo's last form reminded me of some of the DBZ villain transformation like for Garlic Jr and Bojack because he grew bigger and changed color.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:09 pm

This movie sold 210 000 tickets in its first day, compared to the Broly movie’s first day which sold 111 000 tickets. Not saying what is better, but I’m glad this new movie is off to a good start.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:28 pm

Any idea of when can we expect Toriyama/production interviews and hopefully his og designs?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:40 pm

Translation of Toriyama interview included in the DBS: SH movie pamphlet

Credit to @DBSuperFrance for sharing the initial interview and @Herms98 for the translation

The best bit I got from the interview was that when Toriyama was writing the film he forget the series he was writing it for was Dragon Ball Super and assumed people thought it was a joke because nobody pointed out repetitive the title sounded. :lol:

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:47 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:40 pm Translation of Toriyama interview included in the DBS: SH movie pamphlet

Credit to @DBSuperFrance for sharing the initial interview and @Herms98 for the translation

The best bit I got from the interview was that when Toriyama was writing the film he forget the series he was writing it for was Dragon Ball Super and assumed people thought it was a joke because nobody pointed out repetitive the title sounded. :lol:
my hypothesis on why they went this route with this type of light movie was right and toriyamas comment confirms it but based on the spoilers it looks like it went that battle route in the end anyway.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:10 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:40 pm Translation of Toriyama interview included in the DBS: SH movie pamphlet

How is this man so forgetful :?:

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:12 pm

Interesting:

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:16 pm

Thanks! The stuffed animals explanation was expected but charming.

I guess this makes unlikely to get details on the designs tho, at least soon. I can't help but get the feeling of green Broly with the new Gohan form. specially with this (second question):
Ironically, "Orange Piccolo" does sound like Toriyama.
Now I have one more reason to want Granola arc to end soon, we may get clues in the manga recap/continuation

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:21 pm

Soba Mask wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:34 pm Big problem is... That we never had a movie about stuff mentioned like ToP. So we don't know what the movie canon ever will for ToP
That's blatantly incorrect. Super Broly directly referenced the ToP when Goku explained to Whis why he wants to keep getting stronger.
And herein lies the problem. If you don't care about continuity, then none of it matters. If you break the rules of your own work, then there's no more investment to be had. And it has been mentioned before, but the DBS manga has been dropping lower on the charts despite still shipping relatively the same amount of books. Which means other books are gaining popularity and readers, while DBS is remaining stagnant. And if you no longer care for continuity and no longer care for the story structure, and all you want to do is just shove stuff out there for your remaining audience to feed on like pure sugarcane, then the only thing you're really saying is this.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:24 pm

Zelvin wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:21 pm
Soba Mask wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:34 pm Big problem is... That we never had a movie about stuff mentioned like ToP. So we don't know what the movie canon ever will for ToP
That's blatantly incorrect. Super Broly directly referenced the ToP when Goku explained to Whis why he wants to keep getting stronger.
And herein lies the problem. If you don't care about continuity, then none of it matters. If you break the rules of your own work, then there's no more investment to be had. And it has been mentioned before, but the DBS manga has been dropping lower on the charts despite still shipping relatively the same amount of books. Which means other books are gaining popularity and readers, while DBS is remaining stagnant. And if you no longer care for continuity and no longer care for the story structure, and all you want to do is just shove stuff out there for your remaining audience to feed on like pure sugarcane, then the only thing you're really saying is this.
Maybe my bad English has given you a false meaning. I know it was mentioned.

I meant... We don't know what Toriyamas original plan was for ToP and which one is closer to the truth. Manga or Anime.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:34 pm

Soba Mask wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:24 pm Maybe my bad English has given you a false meaning. I know it was mentioned.

I meant... We don't know what Toriyamas original plan was for ToP and which one is closer to the truth. Manga or Anime.
Last I checked, Toriyama was directly involved with the Anime and worked with a writing team. Whereas Toriyama only provided an outline for events to Toyotaro, who then mostly just followed that and did whatever else he wanted with it. Only occasionally asking for ideas or approval from Toriyama about some things. However the Manga was largely in Toyotaro's hands while the Anime was in Toriyama's. Given how the Anime was being produced first and the Manga had to play catchup up through the ToP, for events in the Manga to be so different would mean Toyotaro was making his own decisions on what to do in these instances and not Toriyama.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:50 pm

Toriyama: "The anime series from 2013 and onward had been a casual continuation of my original manga"

Toyotarou:........So you not gonna give me a shoutout?