Favorite Moments from the manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gokii

Favorite Moments from the manga

Post by Gokii » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:50 pm

What are some of your favorite scenes from the manga or ones that you thought did it better than the anime? My favorite scene in the manga so far as I’m only up to right before the ginyu force arrives, is the fight against Nappa

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Favorite Moments from the manga

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:20 am

There's hardly one for me, as I generally prefer to watch than to read. But not only that, the manga feels like a "condensed" version. Bardock TV Special is just two panels; Toei brilliantly adapted the Trunks side-story into a better version by changing stuff...

If I have to pick one, surprisingly enough, it would come from Dragon Ball Super. It would be the Majin Buu saga for Trunks. Maybe it's not a fair pick as there's no anime version of it. Then again, I don't have to read it anymore as Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot adapted it.

There is also Beerus against Champa, also from Dragon Ball Super. It's a fight that features what should be common by now and I would very much like to see it more often: planets being destroyed. I should probably add that Dragon Ball Heroes kind of adapted it. Oh, and all the times Super Saiyan 2 appeared (from Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission mangas).

Well, since Dragon Ball Online, despite being a game, is "manga-centric", would that count? If so, everything that happens there is my favorite moment.
Last edited by Grimlock on Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Gokii

Post by Gokii » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:38 am

I actually really agree with the manga being a lot more condensed. I think that’s part of the reason I like it so much so far. I don’t have a lot of time to sit down and watch dragon ball anymore so having the ability to read it is amazing!

StevenPiccolo

Post by StevenPiccolo » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:50 am

This is coming from someone who's just read the manga, for the reason that it does feel more condensed as previously stated in the thread, and I am too impatient to watch the anime. But I've got a lot:

One is everything with Majin Vegeta, right before when he was watching Goten and Trunks fight, up until his sacrifice and the epitaph. (Okay not really a moment but I can't narrow it down...)
Another is Krillin vs Goku, Android 18 vs Vegeta, I love everything with Gohan and Piccolo, Chiaotzu, Lunch...

But the number one for me probably has to be Gohan and Goku fighting Cell together, specifically this page (spoilered on the off chance OP hasn't seen it yet and wants to experience it for themselves?):
'

But if any of this stuff is better in the anime, please let me know and I'll try to check those out :D
S.W.A.G. = Something We sAiyans Got

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:05 am

Not really the best per se but some like Trunks decimating the Frieza Force soldiers in the beginning of the Cell saga was pretty cool. In just three panels they still showed how quick and effortless his attacks were.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:34 am

Goku Black pretending to have changed and approaching Gowasu, giving the impression that he is reconciling with his old master. Only to brutally stab him in the guts and taunt him. This is the final moral event horizon for Zamasu/Goku Black, the ultimate proof that he is beyond redemption and reason, and doesn't want to listen to anyone but himself.

Such a badass and savage villain moment. I also love how he tricked him and gave him false hopes. He could have just stabbed him right away, but he wanted to toy and mess with him first. So cold. Best villain moment from Super. In the anime, he still tried to kill Gowasu, but it wasn't this brutal.

BernardoCairo

Post by BernardoCairo » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:03 pm

1 - Goku's final Genkidama (classic characters coming back and all).

2 - First part of the Android saga (I love the idea of Super Saiyajins, who were actually strong and relevant, fighting robots created to kill them. Piccolo being on the same league as them and joining in is also great. Trunks is intriguing and killing Freeza was bold way to raise the stakes).

3 - Piccolo and Goku going all out in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai and being the best Earth had to offer.

4 - The race to get to Namekusei and settle there (it made the world of Dragon Ball feel more tangible and lively).

5 - Goku destroying facilities of the Red Ribbon Army (it gives that vibe of progress being made)

6 - The early Boo saga, with the Saiyaman, Videl, The 25th Tenkaichi Budokai and especially Goku and Vegeta battling.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:13 pm

Vegeta saving everyone by attacking Cell during his final clash with Gohan

Seriously, i can't think of a better example of manga doing something better than anime (except for entire DBS, but these are two seperate products). Anime completely ruined that scene by making everyone BUT Vegeta attack Cell, making Vegeta look like a coward, when in manga he was in fact the only person who went to help Gohan. It shows Vegeta in completely different perspective.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta