Current Dragon Ball under Toriyama's hand & when its not

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zekken

Current Dragon Ball under Toriyama's hand & when its not

Post by Zekken » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:12 pm

After watching the new movie am i the only one thinking we currently have two diametrically opposed takes on Dragon Ball going on currently?

Let me explain, when Toriyama has direct control and writes all the dialogue and screenplay of this movie. Its basically taken back to its comedy-gag roots. Much more character interaction & simplicity focused. Lets be honest here Toriyama would much rather write gags than deep introspective character studies.

Then we have Toyotaros DBS manga and Toei's DBS/SDBH series: Where it tries to emulate the more serious battle heavy side of the late manga but without Toriyamas touch of lightheartedness or positive unpredictability in its story structure.

Do you guys think this dissonance ends up just hurting the series? One side where its comedy gag and the other where its purely focused battle manga? For example fans of the other might have expectations for the other media and end up completely disappointed. a lot of people who jumped in during current Super era of DB might've been turned off from the comedic child friendly nature of this new movie for example. (suspect the fan beside me in the theater felt this way)
Better to have tried and failed
rather than have done nothing at all

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Current Dragon Ball under Toriyama's hand & when its not

Post by Grimlock » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:45 pm

It should be expected. When not handled directly by the person who created it, it's bound to have some different characteristics. One is more concerned about doing what he wants, the other is more concerned about doing what fans most enjoy.

I don't think it hurts that much, for me anyway. If anything, it divides people. If you want gag stuff, go there. If you want fights, go here. The thing is, money keeps coming? Then let's keep doing it. That's probably their mentality.

As long as I get a good story out of that gag or that fight, I'm all for whatever they want to do. Though they can't seem to strike a good balance between them, unfortunately. I don't miss "Toriyamas touch of lightheartedness" whenever he's not there, I must add. I think Dragon Ball can (and should, sometimes) be more "serious", that I assure you it won't hurt anyone or the series itself (see Bardock and Trunks TV Specials, obviously).
Zekken wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:12 pma lot of people who jumped in during current Super era of DB might've been turned off from the comedic child friendly nature of this new movie for example.
Which would be completely understandable, especially if one of their reasons is the camera needlessly focusing on female characters butts. It seems that showing one's butt is a gag in Japanese culture, but somehow I doubt that's the reason they do it when it comes to the female ones, it's just cringe and not funny in the slightest (no, not even the Gotenks one was funny).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~