Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit - General Discussion

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:03 am

TAS wrote:
Yeah I know what cel-shading is. When I say all the games, if you look at it, about 90% of them are cel-shaded.
Not even close.
Maybe he's referring to 90% of the recent game's graphics being cel-shaded?
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:20 am

As a big fan of Tenkaichi 3 I can say with honesty, Burst Limit has pretty much converted me back to the traditional fighting style of fighting games. Tenkaichi still satisfies me when I just want to beat the crap out of someone in the same theatrical way they do in the series though.

I only have two complaints:

1. Goku's gi being the same the whole way through (the fanboy in me just can't stand using that gi against Cell).

2. The Drama pieces. Yeah, I can turn them off. But when other people insist on using them, I have no choice or I'll be disadvantaged.

Other than that, it serves its purpose.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:28 am

Of the 20 or so DBZ games 8 of them are cel-shaded, so explain to me how that's 90% please.
Where are you getting 20 or so DBZ games? I'm only counting the ones for PS2, 360, and PS3, I don't remember 20 DBZ games being released on PS2. Budokai 1, Budokai 2, Budokai 3, Sagas, Tenkaichi Budokai, Super Dragon Ball Z, Tenkaichi Budokai 2, Tenkaichi Budokai 3, and Burst Limit. That's 9 games, 2 of them are not cell shaded, so there you go. I'm not going to get out a calculator and get the exact % for you, you can do that on your own time.
So stupid automatically means not new now does it?

Genius logic.
Just as stupid and pointless as you said buying capsules to build your characters is.

You mean what Budokai 3 did first and then BT copied?
Never played Budokai 3, B2 was so different then B1, so I was really let down.
You sound like a BT fanboy and given that and everything else you've been spouting how can anyone take you seriously?
Yeah I'm a huge fanboy of the BT series, I do nothing but play it all day. I just love on Wii how the online lag is so great. I love the BT series so much, even though I've stated how many times Budokai 1 in my opionion, is the best of them all. But no, I'm a huge fan boy of BT. Big big big fan boy, I really love that series so much. God I just love it.
Last edited by ultimateemail5000 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:29 am

Kid Trunks wrote:2. The Drama pieces. Yeah, I can turn them off. But when other people insist on using them, I have no choice or I'll be disadvantaged.
I guess I'm the only person on the plant who likes these. Maybe I'm cheap, but it's kinda nice to get that unfair advantage once in a while. It's also nice when it stops one of the Big Bang Attacks/Final Flashes that all the Vegeta spammers use online all the time.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:43 am

TAS wrote: You mean what Budokai 3 did first and then BT copied?
Because Budokai 3 was the first fighter ever that allowed you to build up your character's health :roll:

Seriously though man, do you really have to speak to everyone in such a condescending and derisive manner every time they say something you don't agree with?
It's like anyone that says the slightest thing negative about Burst Limit, you jump down their throats, like you're a knight in shining armor coming to the defense of Dimps.

That said, I agree with what you said about Burst Limit, compared to the BT series, an effort was made to differentiate each character, as a fighting game fan, it is a better game than BT3, and the non-30 second cut scene ultimates means it's a step up from Budokai 3 for me.

However I still think a little more could have been done to differentiate the fighters, but thats just because I want another Super Dbz.

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:49 am

Maybe he's referring to 90% of the recent game's graphics being cel-shaded?
That's not "all the games" that's only a certain portion of DBZ games.
I'm only counting the ones for PS2, 360, and PS3
There are more DBZ games then that believe it or not.
That's 9 games, 2 of them are not cell shaded, so there you go. I'm not going to get out a calculator and get the exact % for you, you can do that on your own time.
Did you not say every DBZ game is cel-shaded? Did you not say that?
Just as stupid and pointless as you said buying capsules to build your characters is.
That's good since I never said anything about buying capsules, but if someone did think that I did they must be pretty idioitic.
Yeah I'm a huge fanboy of the BT series, I do nothing but play it all day. I just love on Wii how the online lag is so great. I love the BT series so much, even though I've stated how many times Budokai 1 in my opionion, is the best of them all. But no, I'm a huge fan boy of BT. Big big big fan boy, I really love that series so much. God I just love it.
If you only like one DBZ game in the last several years, then why are you even posting here, or why even bother playing Burst Limit? If you're just going to hate everything why bother with it?

Because Budokai 3 was the first fighter ever that allowed you to build up your character's health
He wants to act like everything except B1 sucks or that it was so great or innovative of BT to have a built up system despite B3 having it prior.

If you're going to talk about the DBZ games the way this guy is shouldn't you (let's say) know about the DBZ games? This guy has such a limited frame of refrence, yet he's acting like he knows all about them.
Seriously though man, do you really have to speak to everyone in such a condescending and derisive manner every time they say something you don't agree with?

It's like anyone that says the slightest thing negative about Burst Limit, you jump down their throats, like you're a knight in shining armor coming to the defense of Dimps.
It has nothing to do with Dimps specifically, it has more to do with being a mod on Capcom's forums and seeing this kind of thing a lot or dealing with various types of people good and bad, mostly bad, as you constantly have all these ignorant people spouting off the dumbest stuff constantly, acting as if their opinion is fact or they just start hating on something without even bothering to understand it, saying stuff like "Capcom is dumb for not doing a Marvel Vs Capcom 3 or a Marvel Collection" when Capcom no longer has the Marvel license, thus making it impossible for them do do anything with anything related to Marvel, ie it has a lot to do with the attitude as said person could just be polite and ask why hasn't there ever been a MvC3? Rather then spouting off like an idiot about it, and yeah this is a different place then there (Capcom) but it's the same type of annoying mentality or person, and so it's kind of hard to not react the sameway.

The most recent podcast about the fandom, well one of the reasons that it sucks at times is cause of people like that guy, or a lot of the people posting on the GameFAQs DBZ forums everytime a new DBZ game comes out, and he probably is one of those people, and if not there's not much that seperates him from them.

It's like look at the way that basically everyone else in the thread has posted about the game either about their likes or dislikes. All very nice, calm, civil, etc, right, then look at his first post. Is it anywhere on the same cool headed level that everybody else had or does it just seem whiney and annoying?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:10 am

TAS wrote:If you only like one DBZ game in the last several years, then why are you even posting here, or why even bother playing Burst Limit? If you're just going to hate everything why bother with it?
I don't think he HAS played it. If he had, he probably wouldn't claim that Budokai 1, of all things, was the best (recent) DBZ game, and definitely not better than Burst Limit. I've played a LOT of Budokai, and it's only redeeming characteristic (at least in comparison to the games that followed it) was its pretty cutscenes. Burst Limit has those too, but far sexier, and with a VASTLY-improved fighting system.

Granted, I haven't played Burst Limit (yet) either. But from all I've heard, read, and seen, it plays practically identically, save a few extra little bells and whistles, to the Shin Budokais (the second of which I own and play every day), and I can DEFINITELY vouch for the quality of those.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:21 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:I've played a LOT of Budokai, and it's only redeeming characteristic (at least in comparison to the games that followed it) was its pretty cutscenes. Burst Limit has those too, but far sexier
But Burst Limits aren't proper cut scenes. I'm not exactly sure what if what I'm saying is technologically right (please correct me if not), but theres some thing to do with the "in-game engine" or something. Whereby what what you see isn't actually a cut scene. And Burst Limit even uses a lot of those "cut scenes" repeated before each battle, just with different sprites.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:41 am

ultimateemail5000 wrote: Never played Budokai 3, B2 was so different then B1, so I was really let down.
Thats horrible. You need to play B3. Trust me, its the best of the 3.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:59 am

Kid Trunks wrote: But Burst Limits aren't proper cut scenes. I'm not exactly sure what if what I'm saying is technologically right (please correct me if not), but theres some thing to do with the "in-game engine" or something. Whereby what what you see isn't actually a cut scene. And Burst Limit even uses a lot of those "cut scenes" repeated before each battle, just with different sprites.
There are two types of "Cut scenes" in videogames, there are FMV's (Full motion video) which is basically a video file on the disc, and "in-game" cutscenes, which are basically your system rendering the graphics using the game engine on the fly.

Burst Limit's cut scenes are in-game, the models you see are the ones you fight with (Possibly with different heads rigged for facial animations)

Now that we've moved into the HD era, FMV's take up much more space, which is why you see games like Blue Dragon spanning multiple discs, since they're just on standard dvds in the 360's case.

In game cut scenes however use the models and resources the game has available to it, they are rendered on the fly, and as such take up much less space, not to mention you won't see any compression artifacts that may occur during FMV's.

So basically a cut-scene is a cut-scene, there are just two different ways to go about it.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:46 am

Captain Awesome wrote:So basically a cut-scene is a cut-scene, there are just two different ways to go about it.
Yup, and if the in-game engine is powerful enough to make the scene look just as good as any FMV, well then shoot, why not? Go for it, BL.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:35 pm

I don't think he HAS played it. If he had, he probably wouldn't claim that Budokai 1, of all things, was the best (recent) DBZ game, and definitely not better than Burst Limit. I've played a LOT of Budokai, and it's only redeeming characteristic (at least in comparison to the games that followed it) was its pretty cutscenes. Burst Limit has those too, but far sexier, and with a VASTLY-improved fighting system.
If you are talking about me, I HAVE played the ones released in America except for Budokai 3. I still say Budokai 1 is the best becuase of it's cut scenes. Burst Limit how ever, just isn't my type of game, infact any DBZ game after Burst Limit probably isnt my type of game because they just keep recycling the shit. After playing the same arenas and battles for 7 years or so, it gets old.
I strongly agree with this guy.
it has more to do with being a mod on Capcom's
Nobody cares where you spend your days onlining as a moderator.
Thats horrible. You need to play B3. Trust me, its the best of the 3.
Maybe one day when I'm at a game store and feel like blowing money.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:49 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:Burst Limit how ever, just isn't my type of game, infact any DBZ game after Burst Limit probably isnt my type of game because they just keep recycling the shit. After playing the same arenas and battles for 7 years or so, it gets old.
Well DragonBall Z ended more than ten years ago, so I don't really think we can get away with anything except recycling.

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:29 am

Well DragonBall Z ended more than ten years ago, so I don't really think we can get away with anything except recycling.
Exactly, I don't understand the logic behind "oh well it's the samething over and over again so it sucks" well it's like no shit, people have been saying that since BT1 so it's not like it's late breaking news or anything that people haven't been saying for years, and everybody basically feels the sameway about the situation, but nothing will change as long as the games continue to sell, ie they'll only start being different once the current formula no longer works.
Me and that guy had a discussion in a previous thread that you have no clue about, and you're only agreeing with him because I made you look stupid, igornant, etc, rather then just owning up to the fact that you were wrong. Either people are like "okay didn't know that" or "I guess I was mistaken" when shown that they're wrong or they react the way you did and get all pissy and whiney about it, rather then just accepting the fact.
Nobody cares where you spend your days onlining as a moderator.
Just like nobody cares about your opinion.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:25 am

TAS wrote:
Me and that guy had a discussion in a previous thread that you have no clue about, and you're only agreeing with him because I made you look stupid, igornant, etc
I actually agreed with what you had to say, I was just bugged by the way you said it.

I would have stepped in to correct him, but I would have just been reiterating points you had already made, albeit in a slightly more polite manner :P

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:36 am

I actually agreed with what you had to say, I was just bugged by the way you said it.

I would have stepped in to correct him, but I would have just been reiterating points you had already made, albeit in a slightly more polite manner
The short of it was that he wasn't being polite (in his first post in this thread) so I didn't feel that I needed to be polite with him.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:57 am

TAS wrote: The short of it was that he wasn't being polite (in his first post in this thread) so I didn't feel that I needed to be polite with him.
Notice, I used the word "slightly" :)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:30 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:I don't think he HAS played it. If he had, he probably wouldn't claim that Budokai 1, of all things, was the best (recent) DBZ game, and definitely not better than Burst Limit.
Not necessarily. Some of us just have weird tastes. For example, my favorite DBZ game in the history of ever is DBZ Legends for PS1. I'm one of the five Dragonball fans in the universe that wants to see another Super DBZ. Also very highly ranked on my list is UB22 and Supersonic Warriors.

Nobody ever seems to play these games, but (in the long run) I enjoy these games more than any other Dragonball game recent or otherwise.

Just weird tastes.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:54 pm

Kendamu wrote:. Also very highly ranked on my list is UB22 and Supersonic Warriors.
I loved Ultimate battle 22. One of the things I loved was when you did the code it became Ultimate battle 27. I thought that was a nice touch and something I've wanted in current DBZ games.

E.g Dragonball Z budokai tenkaichi 3 should have had Dragonball and GT made to be just secret characters. Then when you unlock the GT charracters first it becomes

Dragonball Z featuring GT budokai tenkaichi 3

Then when you Unlock the dragonball people the title screen reads

Dragonball budokai tenkaichi 3 and the menu behind becomes something like a picture of charracters from all 3.

They didn't do it but It would have been nice.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:35 pm

Kendamu wrote: For example, my favorite DBZ game in the history of ever is DBZ Legends for PS1. I'm one of the five Dragonball fans in the universe that wants to see another Super DBZ. Also very highly ranked on my list is UB22 and Supersonic Warriors.
I agree with you in the case of Legends, I actually went to the effort of putting my copy onto my psp so I can take it anywhere, I'm also hankering for Super DBZ 2.

...But UB22 is pretty horrible, I love the hand drawn characters and the music, but thats all it really has going for it in my opinion.