Opinions on the Ocean dub of movies 1-3?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Opinions on the Ocean dub of movies 1-3?

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:56 am

Super Sonic wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:24 am Again, these were the only versions I saw, but did anyone else notice that Turles' crew were more respectful in the video dub to the tv dub? In the tv dub they simply addressed him by name, but the video dub, they called him "Master Turles".
I think it's because the tv dub was written around Toei's provided translations (with huge liberties taken obviously) and the video dub was written around Rika Takahashi's translations.

The video dub has them address Turles as Master Turles because that's how Takahashi chose to render Turles-sama for the subtitles and Ward Perry seemed to stick very close to that.

I'm guessing Toei's translations either left Japanese honorifics as is or omitted them without a rough English equivalent. Or maybe they did and the Funimation writers chose to ignore it. I'm pretty sure they didn't get around to adapting Frieza's henchmen addressing him as Frieza-sama to Lord Frieza until season 3.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:47 pm

Depending on the circumstance and episode, there were times during the first two seasons when they called him "Master Frieza", though Funimation's in-house kept it as "Lord Frieza" even in the redub of season 2. Most modern dubs/subs translate (insert name here)-sama as "Lord/Lady (insert name here)" but some may use Master/Mistress depending. Though Viz Sailor Moon ignoring it with Queen beryl was a right thing to do as that would've been redundant, but that's another story.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:57 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:47 pm Depending on the circumstance and episode, there were times during the first two seasons when they called him "Master Frieza", though Funimation's in-house kept it as "Lord Frieza" even in the redub of season 2. Most modern dubs/subs translate (insert name here)-sama as "Lord/Lady (insert name here)" but some may use Master/Mistress depending. Though Viz Sailor Moon ignoring it with Queen beryl was a right thing to do as that would've been redundant, but that's another story.
I think it's definitely a case by case basis. Does it make sense to use Lord/Lady? Is it redundant?

It's like both Bulma and Pu'erh addressed Yamucha as Yamucha-sama in the first arc for Dragon Ball. Since Mandelin, like Simmons, left honorifics as is it wasn't an issue for the subtitles. The dub just went with Pu'erh calling him master which, sure, fine. With Bulma obviously her calling him Master or Lord Yamcha would be weird and awkward as hell so just having Vollmer lovingly stretch out his name Yaaaaaammmmchhhaaa was as good an adaptation choice as any.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:40 pm

Best example of English Dragon Ball, really. Acting is totally on-point, scripts are great, best English Goku, used the original BGM way before it became the standard. Really set the bar for me in terms of how to judge future English dubs of the show and none of them have really met that standard since.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:33 am

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:33 pm Hell, a common consensus on these forums seems to be that Ian James Corlett is the best Ocean voice for Goku
When the hell did this happen lol I'm pretty sure at certain points I was the only person who even liked Corlett's Goku.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃