The idea of Redeeming Nappa. How do you feel about this?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: The idea of Redeeming Nappa. How do you feel about this?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:16 am

I wouldn't see the point of something like this. Nappa served his storyline purpose.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:42 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:16 am I wouldn't see the point of something like this. Nappa served his storyline purpose.
And there's nothing more to him than that.
In fact, the same could be said for the rest of the Saiyan race that perished in the destruction of Planet Vegeta.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:34 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:42 am
And there's nothing more to him than that.
In fact, the same could be said for the rest of the Saiyan race that perished in the destruction of Planet Vegeta.
Agreed. This idea of redeeming the Saiyans--including Bardock--is kind of annoying. I think we crossed the Saiyan bridge already. I'm cool with a story like Broli's or something, but doing a retcon on Bardock or redeeming these old barbaric Saiyans seems like a waste to me.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:43 am

Not interested in bringing back Nappa. A Goku/Bardock reunion could be interesting (Baba bring him back for one day?) or maybe even something Raditz-related, but I can't really think of a good reason to bring back Nappa.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:49 am

Yuji wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:50 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:28 am
Yuji wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:15 am I don't think it's impossible but Nappa seems too dumb to have the self-awareness and introspective capability Vegeta did to change. Then again, Piccolo Jr was also dumb as a brick in his introduction and got softly retconned as a genius.
When was Piccolo Jr shown to be "dumb as a brick" in his introduction?
Piccolo wasn't very smart during the 23rd Budokai. Goku outsmarted him at every turn, even Kuririn did in their fight multiple times. He was pretty much a brute, certainly not the tactical genius the series later portrays him as.
he was only 3 years old, so ill give him a pass.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:19 pm

funrush wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:43 amA Goku/Bardock reunion could be interesting (Baba bring him back for one day?)
Reunion? They barely even knew each other to begin with. Especially beyond that one scene where Bardock reads his power level at the facility where he was born.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:40 pm

funrush wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:43 am Not interested in bringing back Nappa. A Goku/Bardock reunion could be interesting (Baba bring him back for one day?) or maybe even something Raditz-related, but I can't really think of a good reason to bring back Nappa.
On top of the aforementioned "Goku doesn't know Bardock to have a reunion" that GhostEmperorX mentioned, I don't think Baba has any jurisdiction in Planet Vegeta's Otherworld. She only seems to be able to cross between the earth and it's Otherworld. It's also far more than likely he's already gone through the reincarnation process and has long since been a new lifeform by now.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:57 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:19 pmReunion? They barely even knew each other to begin with. Especially beyond that one scene where Bardock reads his power level at the facility where he was born.
You have read Granolah saga, right?
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:15 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:57 pm You have read Granolah saga, right?
Honestly I don't follow the DBS Manga at all :/
I've largely moved on from following new DB content much, I haven't even seen Broly or Super Hero.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:43 pm

This feels like a scenario for a video game moreso than main continuity.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:54 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:15 pmHonestly I don't follow the DBS Manga at all :/
I've largely moved on from following new DB content much, I haven't even seen Broly or Super Hero.
Well, that's actually a very good decision. Dragon Ball Super is... complicated. Best to move on and find better things out there indeed.

Even so, you should know that things have changed between Bardock and Goku. The old "they don't know each other so there's no point in their reunion" no longer applies. Nowadays, Goku has all the reasons to (want to) meet with Bardock. Hell, Goku even and finally acknowledged Raditz by calling him "his brother" for the first time.

If you're interested, read just:

• The last three pages of chapter 76.
• The entirety of chapter 77.
• Chapter 82, starting from page 31 (the mention to Raditz happens in page 15).
• The entirety of chapter 83.
• The first seven pages of chapter 84.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

funrush

Post by funrush » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:09 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:43 pm This feels like a scenario for a video game moreso than main continuity.
I feel like Granola arc somewhat sets up the idea that Goku and Bardock meeting could be plausible, but I generally agree with what you're saying in that I'm not sure how to make the meeting happen in a way that doesn't seem gimmicky. Like I don't think Bardock should ever come back longterm or something. Maybe Goku winds up in Hell somehow and he and Bardock team up to fight someone. Something like that where it makes sense for Bardock to appear briefly.

I suggested the Baba one day idea because I think having Bardock get to meet with his descendants for a day would be a pretty cool filler episode or something. No fighting, just him seeing the future of his family and the Saiyans.

There are better old characters to bring in. I still think Cooler would be a fun addition to the cast since we've never seen him and Freeza interact before. I think they would butt heads a lot and it would be really entertaining.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:15 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:43 pm This feels like a scenario for a video game moreso than main continuity.
Like something out of the first Raging Blast game, I see it.