Information regarding Malaysian bootleg DVD?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Information regarding Malaysian bootleg DVD?

Post by JustAlex1997 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:51 pm

I'm looking for information regarding the contents of this Malaysian Dragon Ball Z bootleg DVD. While the back claims the footage is taken from one of the 16:9 releases, I want to be 100% sure. While rare, I do know from this very forum that Dragon Box bootlegs do exist.

Here's the eBay listing, since the photos aren't displaying:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/334750150563?ha ... SwklBj7bXl

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Information regarding Malaysian bootleg DVD?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:51 pm

Never seen it, I wonder if the back only lists 16:9 because it's the standard in the HD era. The level sets listed 16:9 on the cases even though the discs were 4:3.

Slightly disappointed the back cover indicates these DVDs contained the Cantonese dub. If it contained the Malay dub it would be a lot more valuable as that is currently lost.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:07 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:51 pm Never seen it, I wonder if the back only lists 16:9 because it's the standard in the HD era. The level sets listed 16:9 on the cases even though the discs were 4:3.

Slightly disappointed the back cover indicates these DVDs contained the Cantonese dub. If it contained the Malay dub it would be a lot more valuable as that is currently lost.
Good catch with the Level Sets! I believe the "new" GT set does the same, despite being standard definition. Strange times we're living in.

DB preservationists will do their thing about the Malay dub, I'm sure. They always seem to manage eventually.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:20 am

JustAlex1997 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:07 pm DB preservationists will do their thing about the Malay dub, I'm sure. They always seem to manage eventually.
From what I've heard Malaysian fans didn't know how to record it when it aired on TV2, although I'd have to guess some did record it even if they were a minority. Hopefully it does surface someday as when most fans talk about the "Malaysian dub" they are referring to the Speedy dub, but there was a dub in their own language that was hugely successful when it aired in the late 90s and early 2000s.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: