Dragon Ball Magic? *RUMOR*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Magic? *RUMOR*

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:39 pm

Post-EOZ would probably be better, but if them's the breaks, I'd be interested in seeing more exploration into Goku's state of mind leading into the EOZ timeframe, where he's bored stiff and leaps at any opportunity to escape his civvie life. Shin could be a good sounding board, especially as someone who has lived tens of thousands of years at the most conservative estimate (seriously, how old is Shin?) and maybe didn't use that time in the most productive way until he met Goku and the others. What better time to get all these existential reflections off your chest than on another intergalactic road trip? I wouldn't expect anything too deep.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:45 pm

Let see if the rumors are true, I guess we will find out very soon we are near October.

I don't understand why they don't animate the manga, there is the Moro chapter and Granolah chapter.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:15 pm

super michael wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:45 pm I don't understand why they don't animate the manga, there is the Moro chapter and Granolah chapter.
Things gonna get confusing for the mainstream audience if we go back in time after Super Hero. I feel like it would be fitting to slightly rewrite Moro and Granolah arcs to make them happen after SH in the anime now, instead of going backwards.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:33 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:15 am
Xeogran wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:55 am.

And DB remake would "require" (unfortunately) too much censorship. To the point it wouldn't feel half like the original thing. I think all the involved parties don't see a point in this.
There would be nothing to censor if it's remade from the ground up. Most of the worst stuff was Toei inventions anyways
There were definitely instances of the anime censoring things compared to the manga in terms of the violence, though I’m not sure if modern Japan would have any grievances regarding the sexual content.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:43 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:45 am Are people really buying this?
Considering the Dragonball insiders blew their gaskets on Twitter yesterday to the point Geekdom got called out by some if his friends for leaking half truths according to some ateast some of this is likely true.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:01 pm

This might be a hot take, but assuming this is legit (which I’m not saying it is), I think I’d somewhat prefer this over adapting the manga. The DBS formula has long since gotten stale for me. I’d definitely prefer it over adapting the movies, that’s for sure.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:48 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:57 am
FortuneSSJ wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:54 am I'm seeing a lot of people angry on social networks because they want the manga new arcs adapted and I understand them. At this rate we may not have that before 2025 in the earliest and that's depressing...
I find that weird, considering that 2025 is only sixteen months away. What, can people not wait that long? Or heck, even wait until 2026, the next anniversary?
But that's implying 2uper is guaranteed after this web anime. We could get a movie next or nothing at all.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:59 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:48 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:57 am
FortuneSSJ wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:54 am I'm seeing a lot of people angry on social networks because they want the manga new arcs adapted and I understand them. At this rate we may not have that before 2025 in the earliest and that's depressing...
I find that weird, considering that 2025 is only sixteen months away. What, can people not wait that long? Or heck, even wait until 2026, the next anniversary?
But that's implying 2uper is guaranteed after this web anime. We could get a movie next or nothing at all.
Then we get a movie~ And people will have something else to chew on until the next weekly television series.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:06 pm

While I'm going to keep an open mind about this being true, why turn Goku into a kid again? Even GT's biggest defenders would say that was the series biggest problem, or at least that it overstayed its welcome. 2024 would be the perfect time to remake the original series as it will be the 40th anniversary of the manga.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:11 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:06 pm Even GT's biggest defenders would say that was the series biggest problem
Not at all. Goku is always a kid at heart and mind, his size only changes the in-universe characters perception to him (like Chi-Chi's and Pan's, and even they accepted him for who he is despite his age), not the viewers.

Toriyama started the series with Kid Goku and in a world as wacky as Dragon Ball's, nothing stops him from redoing that.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:17 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:11 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:06 pm Even GT's biggest defenders would say that was the series biggest problem
Not at all. Goku is always a kid at heart and mind, his size only changes the in-universe characters perception to him (like Chi-Chi's and Pan's, and even they accepted him for who he is despite his age), not the viewers.

Toriyama started the series with Kid Goku and in a world as wacky as Dragon Ball's, nothing stops him from redoing that.
It was one of the biggest problems.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:59 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:43 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:45 am Are people really buying this?
Considering the Dragonball insiders blew their gaskets on Twitter yesterday to the point Geekdom got called out by some if his friends for leaking half truths according to some ateast some of this is likely true.
Absolutely none of it is gonna turn out to be true.

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:33 pm

There were definitely instances of the anime censoring things compared to the manga in terms of the violence, though I’m not sure if modern Japan would have any grievances regarding the sexual content.

I wouldn’t consider it sexual content to begin with but the child nudity would definitely no longer fly. So all the stuff with Goku being naked would pretty much be animated to at least keep his privates covered.

Roshi wanting a puff puff from Bulma might be okay with Toei but I'm not sure if the borderline nudity with Bulma like when she's showering in episode 6 or when Krillin briefly exposes her breast to Roshi would get pass modern BS&P for Japanese kids tv

You're right the 80s/90s anime did already tone down some of the violence to begin with. I was sure Bora's impalement was as bloodless as it was in the anime but there was actually some blood around him in the manga. They also toned down Android 20 killing the one driver iirc in the manga he made his head pop off like a corkscrew instead of just choking him out.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:43 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:15 pm
super michael wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:45 pm I don't understand why they don't animate the manga, there is the Moro chapter and Granolah chapter.
Things gonna get confusing for the mainstream audience if we go back in time after Super Hero. I feel like it would be fitting to slightly rewrite Moro and Granolah arcs to make them happen after SH in the anime now, instead of going backwards.
Eh not really?

Just have 1 minute to explain that the new anime takes place right after the Tournament of Power and Broly

I mean Super takes place before End of Z, isn't that already confusing for the mainstream audience?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:19 pm

super michael wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:45 pm Let see if the rumors are true, I guess we will find out very soon we are near October.

I don't understand why they don't animate the manga, there is the Moro chapter and Granolah chapter.
I wonder that too. I don't get why they haven't. Is it that hard to do new episodes for Super?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:02 pm

I'm not surprised if Shin gets his own series.

Toriyama has already proven that he likes Shin as a character.

In the Buu saga, Shin as Kibito Kai saved Goku and co. from Planet Earth before Kid Buu could destroy them. Without Shin's Kai Kai, Goku, Vegeta, Dende, and Mr. Satan die along with the rest of the Earth and the universe is doomed.

In Super, Toriyama revealed that Shin's teleportation technique, Kai Kai, is even more efficient and faster than the Angels'.

How many characters can claim to excel the Angels in one category (teleportation)? Not many at all.

And Toriyama likes Shin's design because he's a short God. "Short, but strong" is classic Toriyama humour (see Vegeta compared to Raditz and Nappa, Final Form Frieza compared to his other forms).

Between Beerus, Whis, and Shin, Shin should 100% be the one that gets his own series. He has been helping the protagonists for far longer than Beerus/Whis and is easily the friendliest of the U7 Deities, on top of having design that is classic Toriyama humour.

So I don't find it surprising it all if Toriyama decided to make a short series about Shin (and Goku ofc).

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:14 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:19 pm
super michael wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:45 pm Let see if the rumors are true, I guess we will find out very soon we are near October.

I wonder that too. I don't get why they haven't. Is it that hard to do new episodes for Super?
Maybe they just don’t think it’s worth the time and resources it would require.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:05 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:14 pm

i doubt that since they are working on this web project about shin and kid goku with it being 45 minute 15 episodes.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:19 pm

Given how popular Super was when it was airing, I doubt that.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:20 pm

Toxin45 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:05 pm

i doubt that since they are working on this web project about shin and kid goku with it being 45 minute 15 episodes.
A 15 episode web series seems more manageable than an ongoing television series that’s adapting the work of someone who isn’t Akita Toriyama.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:25 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:20 pm
Toxin45 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:05 pm

A 15 episode web series seems more manageable than an ongoing television series that’s adapting the work of someone who isn’t Akita Toriyama.
Toriyama is the one who supervises the manga