Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:26 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:01 pm
Basaku wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:52 am Moro arc was mostly Toyo with Toriyama's supervision/corrections/revisions. For Granolah though, Toriyama wrote the main general plot outline like with previous arcs (Future Trunks, TOP)

Super Hero section is based on Toriyama's full movie script
Toyo wrote the original outline, and then Toriyama went over it and added loads more to it. He was the one who came up with the Heeters amongst some other things.
Along with the new Dragon Balls, Monaito, Sugarians, Bardock etc so I think my point stands that this is mostly Toriyama plotline who gave it its actual form we see materialised, or at the very least a 50/50 involvement in the main arc idea, as having barely a concept for Granolah and revenge against Saiyans is little more on Toyo's part than the "canonize Broly/bring back future Trunks" suggestions that that came earlier from the Dragon Room.

It's also more way more than the stuff Toriyama added to BOG so yeah, in the obvious underlying question "is this canon" I would say absolutely on Toriyama's part

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Civic » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:37 am

Why are the Dragon Boxes considered the best home release?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:04 pm

You know something I was wondering these days by seeing this title page from the original manga.

Did Goku really trained with Gohan and Piccolo as a SSJ? I mean it made sense for him in anime filler do to so in Base since that would even things out a bit, but as a SSJ is a strech and that could even made his Heart Virus worse. Or maybe that as not the case and Toriyama was just lazy of having to drawn and ink Goku base hair lol

On another note, don't you guys always found weird that the anime staff never attempted to expand Future Trunks and Vegeta trip on the RoSaT the same way they did it with Goku and Gohan? Apart from brief scenes, I think that could be a good opportunity to develop more their relationship and make us audience relate more with Vegeta's rage after the death of his son (even though I think it was just to show he didn't want to rely on Gohan and solve things by himself).
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:22 pm

Noah wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:04 pm You know something I was wondering these days by seeing this title page from the original manga.

Did Goku really trained with Gohan and Piccolo as a SSJ? I mean it made sense for him in anime filler do to so in Base since that would even things out a bit, but as a SSJ is a strech and that could even made his Heart Virus worse. Or maybe that as not the case and Toriyama was just lazy of having to drawn and ink Goku base hair lol

On another note, don't you guys always found weird that the anime staff never attempted to expand Future Trunks and Vegeta trip on the RoSaT the same way they did it with Goku and Gohan? Apart from brief scenes, I think that could be a good opportunity to develop more their relationship and make us audience relate more with Vegeta's rage after the death of his son (even though I think it was just to show he didn't want to rely on Gohan and solve things by himself).
You know, when you think about it, it's a little odd that Future Gohan trained all his life in a post apocalyptic world and never advanced beyond Super Saiyan form. Yet the younger Gohan manages to do it in one year. Future Gohan watches all his friends die to the androids. Present Gohan watches Cell kill one android he just met, and boom. New transformation. lol

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:44 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:22 pm You know, when you think about it, it's a little odd that Future Gohan trained all his life in a post apocalyptic world and never advanced beyond Super Saiyan form. Yet the younger Gohan manages to do it in one year. Future Gohan watches all his friends die to the androids. Present Gohan watches Cell kill one android he just met, and boom. New transformation. lol
That was not really related to what I said, but since you quoted me, well... the whole problem for me is that the future timeline never addressed the possibility of using the Namekian DBs again, not just that but why couldn't Future Goku assist their allies from the Afterlife? If it was explained that people who dies from illness don't have body, I would be "okay" with it, but that also was never metioned before.

But ignoring these incosistencies, you should know that Future Gohan hasn't really trained and just got strong by surviving, he never had his father to put him in the perspective he could reach beyond Super Saiyan unlike his present counterpart. Also I don't see #16 as the main trigger for his transformations, but the straw that broke the camel's back as his friends were suffering and Cell as pushing him to hard to do something he didn't wanted to.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:55 pm

Noah wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:04 pm You know something I was wondering these days by seeing this title page from the original manga.

Did Goku really trained with Gohan and Piccolo as a SSJ? I mean it made sense for him in anime filler do to so in Base since that would even things out a bit, but as a SSJ is a strech and that could even made his Heart Virus worse.
Only if he was infected by the heart virus by then, and while it's theorized that he got it from Yardrat, it's very possible that it was an Earth disease.
Or maybe that as not the case and Toriyama was just lazy of having to drawn and ink Goku base hair lol
I dunno about that, once the characters were about to fight the androids, Piccolo says he's confident in his own power, and later he's shown to casually beat Gero's ass, and this is despite both Goku and Vegeta going SS for it.

So it seems Piccolo eventually managed to go above Goku's base form, and then Goku started to use SS to train with them.
Maybe the anime staff were expecting Toriyama to do more with it later? Or maybe the writers didn't care lol.
ZeroNeonix wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:22 pm You know, when you think about it, it's a little odd that Future Gohan trained all his life in a post apocalyptic world and never advanced beyond Super Saiyan form. Yet the younger Gohan manages to do it in one year. Future Gohan watches all his friends die to the androids. Present Gohan watches Cell kill one android he just met, and boom. New transformation. lol
Future Gohan was never properly trained, and in DB you really do need proper training to really advance, and ROSAT training shows it best, Gohan thinks to himself that Goku has been meditating a lot, and then Goku goes Ultra SS, dismisses it, and decides to start training over from basics in SS, and this was so effective he became at least twice as strong as Vegeta in less than an year, and even after Vegeta spent another year in ROSAT, he still couldn't catch up to Goku, and Goku himself decided to end training earlier just so his and Gohan's bodies could relax too, which's necessary for training too.

So future Gohan was probably never properly trained by Goku, and the androids are just overall hard to surpass considering what the characters had to do to surpass them, combine this with future Gohan going to fight them a lot, that gives him less time to train, which, yeah...

So basically it makes sense why future Gohan is so weak, he just was never properly trained, and despite his ridiculous potential, it just wasn't nurtured correctly.
Noah wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:44 pm That was not really related to what I said, but since you quoted me, well... the whole problem for me is that the future timeline never addressed the possibility of using the Namekian DBs again, not just that but why couldn't Future Goku assist their allies from the Afterlife? If it was explained that people who dies from illness don't have body, I would be "okay" with it, but that also was never metioned before.
Yeah in stuff like that the future timeline is a poorly written mess lol.

Even if somehow Goku's body wasn't in the afterlife, the other characters all could travel to Kaio's planet and ask him to find new Namek...
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:53 pm

A new year is upon us, but I don't think there's much to celebrate. Well, there is the fortieth Dragon Ball anniversary, but if I made a thread about such a big event now, I would have to deal with "you didn't wait for the exact day and month!1!1!11!". At any rate, is it really a "big event"? It's not like they are putting some effort to make this year feel like a celebration so far. It seems they are not even going to livestream that event supposed to happen by the end of January or something.

There's that Dragon Ball Daima, but it will only be released near the end of the year... And honestly from January until then, I don't think there will be enough marketing, this thing has become such an annoyance, hasn't it? Why would they advertise stuff? Oh well. :roll:

Let's see... It has been ten years since the debut of Gine, yay! :D Still not much has been done with this character, and she doesn't come without flaws, unfortunately, but we take what we can get, I guess. I already dedicated a thread to her, so I won't prolong here.

Ten years ago Dragon Ball Kai came back with the Majin Buu saga. Yay?

Anyway, next year will be something else...

... As Dragon Ball Xenoverse will turn ten years. Can you believe this shit!? :shock:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:08 pm

The point was that Vegeta and Trunks' relationship remains distant. There's little to show bc Vegeta keeps his own son at arm's length.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:43 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:08 pm

The point was that Vegeta and Trunks' relationship remains distant. There's little to show bc Vegeta keeps his own son at arm's length.
Yeah. Adding filler to make them artificially closer before it happens is missing the point. ABED is right they are supposed to be distant at that point.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:29 pm

Was this ever confirmed as real Shonen Jump scans?

https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/y ... _beat_and/

I mean it would be quite a bit of work for a hoax regarding vidya game skins but one can never be sure these days....

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:41 am

Basaku wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:29 pm Was this ever confirmed as real Shonen Jump scans?

https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/y ... _beat_and/

I mean it would be quite a bit of work for a hoax regarding vidya game skins but one can never be sure these days....
It's real but has absolutely nothing to do with Weekly Shonen Jump. It's from last year's Super Dragon Ball Heroes 12th Anniversary Super Guide:

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:39 am

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:41 am It's real but has absolutely nothing to do with Weekly Shonen Jump. It's from last year's Super Dragon Ball Heroes 12th Anniversary Super Guide:

Thx a lot Mike! <3 Was mostly curious about the Golden SSJ4 concept. It didn't make it into Heroes in the end but the fact that it was even considered is just hilarious to me, yet another long-standing fandom concept/wish eventually creeping into the official designs

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:41 pm

Chapter: 279 (DBZ 85), P14.1
Context: as Goku prepares to fight Recoom
Vegeta: “Th-this really is strange…He’s oddly calm…Doesn’t he know his opponent’s true strength?...I can’t feel any desire to kill from him at all…”

Right after this, Vegeta wonders if Goku is the SSJ!!!

If he felt no desire to kill from Goku, why would he associated that with SSJ when the legend they went by is that SSJ had no compassion and sought blood (iirc the latter was said by Ginyu). ?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:45 pm

Mireya wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:41 pm Chapter: 279 (DBZ 85), P14.1
Context: as Goku prepares to fight Recoom
Vegeta: “Th-this really is strange…He’s oddly calm…Doesn’t he know his opponent’s true strength?...I can’t feel any desire to kill from him at all…”

Right after this, Vegeta wonders if Goku is the SSJ!!!

If he felt no desire to kill from Goku, why would he associated that with SSJ when the legend they went by is that SSJ had no compassion and sought blood (iirc the latter was said by Ginyu). ?
Because he's REALLY powerful. At first they think he might be. Even Ginyu does the same. Then they think "no wait, he can't be, he's too gentile to be a Super Saiyan".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:39 pm

Yes, but didn't Vegeta highlight specially the calm and no intent to kill there? Should that tell him he hadn't that SSJ trait?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:48 pm

Mireya wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:39 pm Yes, but didn't Vegeta highlight specially the calm and no intent to kill there? Should that tell him he hadn't that SSJ trait?
What is the issue you are trying to point out here? I don't honestly get it. Are you saying there's a contradiction or bad writing bc a character in the heat of the moment isn't 100 percent logical about a legend he heard when he was a kid?

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:09 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:48 pm
Mireya wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:39 pm Yes, but didn't Vegeta highlight specially the calm and no intent to kill there? Should that tell him he hadn't that SSJ trait?
What is the issue you are trying to point out here? I don't honestly get it. Are you saying there's a contradiction or bad writing bc a character in the heat of the moment isn't 100 percent logical about a legend he heard when he was a kid?
No, I was interested if the not intent to kill and the thought of SSJ was kind of an oversight of there was some logical explanation for that.

Edit: also, the intent to kill isn't something Vegeta only remembered as a kid. When Goku didn't want to murder Recoome and Jheese, Burta, Vegeta said he can't be the SSJ because of his compassion:

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:04 am

Mireya wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:09 pm
No, I was interested if the not intent to kill and the thought of SSJ was kind of an oversight of there was some logical explanation for that.

Edit: also, the intent to kill isn't something Vegeta only remembered as a kid. When Goku didn't want to murder Recoome and Jheese, Burta, Vegeta said he can't be the SSJ because of his compassion:
It seems that Vegeta was mistaken, assuming that the Super Saiyan had to be a monstrous killing machine. Later, what we're told is that one has to have a "gentle spirit." Toriyama even suggests in an interview that this is the reason Super Saiyans were previously so rare. Vegeta thought he was destined to become the legend, but Goku ended up doing it instead, because Vegeta was going about it the wrong way.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... pecial-qa/

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:28 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:04 am
ABED wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:48 pm What is the issue you are trying to point out here? I don't honestly get it. Are you saying there's a contradiction or bad writing bc a character in the heat of the moment isn't 100 percent logical about a legend he heard when he was a kid?

It seems that Vegeta was mistaken, assuming that the Super Saiyan had to be a monstrous killing machine. Later, what we're told is that one has to have a "gentle spirit." Toriyama even suggests in an interview that this is the reason Super Saiyans were previously so rare. Vegeta thought he was destined to become the legend, but Goku ended up doing it instead, because Vegeta was going about it the wrong way.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... pecial-qa/
Yes, Vegeta was mistaken, but by the time Vegeta made that statement, he had the perception that SSJs lacked any compassion towards killing opponents, as he said later.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:47 am

I'm still confused by what you're trying to say here. Are you pointing out a fault in the writing?