Dragon Ball Blue Water Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Blue Water Dub

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Big Momma wrote:Nah, I'm in the US. So he's right. I haven't seen the tape in awhile, so I wasn't entirely sure if it was the same dub.
This is the one that I have:
Yes that's the FUNi/BLT dub, and not Blue Water.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:57 am

Which reminds me... I should finish watching the FUNi/BLT dub on the box set I bought a year ago; I think I'm on episode eight. Ah, but the music is so boring, and the dialogue is like Dragon Ball that accidentally went through the wash. :/

I'd rather watch the Ocean dub any day!
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:56 pm

I nticed that later on in the series Blue Water kept some original names & terms as Tenshinhan (he's still T.ien) said Tao Pai Pai, Son Goku is kept as is Nyoibo, however stuff like Kamayamaya, Solar Flare, Flying Nimbus & Ox King were used likely to be consistent with the Ocean DBZ dub, but still I'd say as far as terms go it's better than the pre-Kai FUNi dub.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:17 pm

Hi all,

I am _well aware_ that I am nercro-ing a rather old thread, but I have a piece of information I think people might find interesting and it didn't warrant a new thread. This was the first one that popped up with a google site search, so I thought this would be the place to go.

We all know that the FUNi dub had to cut Mezase Tenkaichi for reasons unknown during Goku's last stand against Jacky Chun at the first tournament in episode 28; however, what I learend today is that the Blue Water Dub did the same and actually has its own musical track in its place. And unlike the FUNi dub, this replacement track resurfaces the other times we hear Mezase Tenakichi -- whereas for whatever reason, the FUNi dub gets it every other time. Out of an abundance of caution, I won't link it, just know it's an easy find if you search dragonball "blue water" on the internet.

Again, apologies for the necro, but thought this would be a fun-fact worth sharing here.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:35 pm

bkev wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:17 pm Hi all,

I am _well aware_ that I am nercro-ing a rather old thread, but I have a piece of information I think people might find interesting and it didn't warrant a new thread. This was the first one that popped up with a google site search, so I thought this would be the place to go.

We all know that the FUNi dub had to cut Mezase Tenkaichi for reasons unknown during Goku's last stand against Jacky Chun at the first tournament in episode 28; however, what I learend today is that the Blue Water Dub did the same and actually has its own musical track in its place. And unlike the FUNi dub, this replacement track resurfaces the other times we hear Mezase Tenakichi -- whereas for whatever reason, the FUNi dub gets it every other time. Out of an abundance of caution, I won't link it, just know it's an easy find if you search dragonball "blue water" on the internet.

Again, apologies for the necro, but thought this would be a fun-fact worth sharing here.
Damn, I just started college when the last post was made.

Anyways we pretty much do know why Mezase Tenkaichi in episode 28 (as well as the majority of vocal songs) was missing in Funi's Dragon Ball dub. Because for whatever reason Toei just didn't send any dubbing company all the vocal songs in their music track. It wasn't just Funimation, the otherwise very faithful Cloverway/Intertrack dub for Latin America must of received the same music track because their dub also only had those 4 specific songs in their dub (With a Burning Passion Defeat the Red Ribbon Army in episode 65, Dragon Ball Densetsu in episode 76, Blue Travelers in 78, and Mezase Tenkaichi in episode 86).

I know fans who watched the Blue Water dub said there were times were there were songs in the Japanese version and no music in the Blue Water dub, and that's almost without a shadow of doubt because there was no Japanese song for Blue Water to replace. They only used Ocean stock music when there was a vocal song on the music track they received.

Long time a fan compiled what vocal songs foreign dubs had and I'm willing to bet the Blue Water dubs usage of Ocean music lines up with what the French dub had on their music track viewtopic.php?t=8721

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:34 am

I like the Blue Water dub. But then again, I like these little novelty things. I like the Westwood dub because I always thought the Ocean cast was superior. And quite frankly, when the series kept playing "seasons 1 and 2," I always imagined the series moving past with the Ocean dub.

But, the Blue Water dub is nice. It's fun. I don't know, it's just more Dragon Ball content.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:14 am

This thread is now old enough to make an account on this forum.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:27 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:35 pm Long time a fan compiled what vocal songs foreign dubs had and I'm willing to bet the Blue Water dubs usage of Ocean music lines up with what the French dub had on their music track viewtopic.php?t=8721
Yeah, Ocean were receiving French video tracks when they started dubbing Dragon Ball through Blue Water Studios. This is likely the same reason the Blue Water dubs of Dragon Ball and GT had no title cards, because the only ones available to Ocean were in French.

The music tracks the Blue Water dub uses in place of the Japanese insert songs are indeed the same tracks used in the Westwood Z dub, as Ocean were able to use them royalty-free.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:56 am

Isn't it interesting that both the Funimation dub and Blue Water dub of Dragon Ball decided to use the original music? Even though Funimation later decided to go with a replacement score for GT... I wonder how that decision was made. Ocean still used a replacement score for Z, even though it was recycled.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:13 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:56 am Isn't it interesting that both the Funimation dub and Blue Water dub of Dragon Ball decided to use the original music? Even though Funimation later decided to go with a replacement score for GT... I wonder how that decision was made. Ocean still used a replacement score for Z, even though it was recycled.
As I understand it Ocean got their Z dub assets from Funimation i.e their video masters, their scripts, their effects track etc. Since Funimation didn't use the Japanese music for Z, Ocean didn have the the Kikuchi score to work with. Funimation was probably hoping Ocean Group would license the Faulconer score for their own dub and Ocean went the cheapest route they could; using stock music they had the rights to. Since they got OG Dragon Ball and GT material from the French dub they were given the Japanese music track to work with (their opening for the original Dragon Ball is also just a translation of the French opening)

As far as Funimation using the Japanese music for the original Dragon Ball, that was the route they were going in anyways with all their non-Z and GT dubs. Replacing the music wasn't a popular decision with the online fandom in the early 2000s and the original Dragon Ball was Funimation's half hearted attempt to show fans they're willing to play ball in their court (look we're using the Japanese music you all keep bitching about, we even let you vote on some of the voices). I also think using their own music wasn't nearly as profitable as they assumed it would be, so that was probably a factor too. They would have to license the Japanese music to include the Japanese audio on dvd releases(one of the many reasons the Japanese music is too expensive excuse was always straight up bullshit)....so why not use it?!?

I think the only reason GT used a new score was because Funimation was under the impression it was a failure and needed to be done completely different "You think you know GT"

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:48 am

Ocean and Blue Water dubs generally don't replace the music. All the Gundam series, Escaflowne, Galaxy Express 999, Death Note, Black Lagoon, Gintama, Inuyasha, Kiznaiver, Nana and Ranma 1/2 dubs use the Japanese scores. They have the odd heavily localized dub like Hamtaro, Cardcaptors, LBX and Deltora Quest that use exclusive scores but I believe they are the exception not the rule. Its unknown why Kai changed the music, but it may have been because Ocean noticed the similarities between the Yamamoto score and movies of the time like Avatar and Terminator Salvation and anticipated the controversy, as everything else we've heard about it indicates a faithful approach. As for Westwood Z, as MasenkoHa said it was likely a case of the Japanese score not being available to Ocean, they received French materials for the last 4 episodes but they probably thought for the sake of consistency there was no point in switching to the original score at that point.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:46 pm

I watched most of the dub I they keep most of the japanese music in a pal pitch but It's different for the insert songs
Ep 28: use score from the westwood dub
Ep 29: removed/did a funi
Ep 30: removed/did a funi
Ep 33: use score from the westwood dub
Ep 35: removed/did a funi
Ep 43: removed/did a funi
Ep 48: just used an background track
Ep 65: CUT THE HOLE MONTAGE
Ep 76: CUT THE HOLE MONTAGE
Ep 78: Kept the ending part
Ep 87: removed/did a funi
Ep 130: removed/did a funi
Last edited by Dragon ball master on Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:55 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:46 pm I watched most of the dub I they keep most of the japanese music in a pal pitch but It's different for the insert songs
Ep 28: use score from the westwood dub
Ep 29: removed/did a funi
Ep 30: removed/did a funi
Ep 33: use score from the westwood dub
Ep 35: removed/did a funi
Ep 43: removed/did a funi
Ep 48: just used an background track
Ep 65: CUT THE HOLE PART
Ep 76: CUT THE HOLE
Yep, like I said it lines up with the French dub'

Per the thread I linked to earlier
French, Polish & Hungarian (Since these 3 versions use the same music track)

Dragon Ball:

-Makafushigi Adventure (strangely enough this song replaces Dragon Ball Densetsu in episode 33)
-Mezase Tenka-ichi (Instrumental in episodes 19, 86 and with vocals in episode 28 )
-Red Ribbon Army (Episode 48 ) (Opening instrumental repeated several times)
-Aoi Tabi Bitto Tachi (Episode 78, but only the instrumental section at the end of the scene)
If the French dub had a vocal song, the Blue Water dub had a piece of Ocean Studios music in it's place. If the French dub was missing a vocal song, the Blue Water dub didn't put anything in its place because as far as they were aware there was no Japanese song to replace. Neither Funimation nor Blue Water outright removed vocal songs (the ones BW switched out with Ocean music not withstanding) Toei did that for whatever reason

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:55 pm

Another neat thing about the Blue Water dub of Dragon Ball is that while it references Funimation's scripts there are many examples where it improved upon them.

Things like the Blue Water dub omitting any mention of Black's sister (who didn't exist in the Japanese version), undoing Funimation's addition of a feud between the Crane Hermit and Tao Pai-Pai, Tambourine implying the father bear was dead in episode 106 were all welcome plot hole fixes.

There are other small amendments like Turtle rejecting Lunch's decision to join the tournament because weapons weren't allowed rather than her finding fights with rules boring (a Funimation change), the tournament announcer at the 22nd Budokai recognizing Goku, Kuririn, Yamcha and Jackie Chun (in Funimation's dub Goku complimented his suit and was thanked), as well as the comment about flash photography not being allowed inside the gynasium at said tournament (which contradicts the previous Tenkaichi Budokai where it was said spectators were not allowed in the gym).

People often criticize the Blue Water voices, but Funimation's inhouse cast were really no better at this point.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:03 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:13 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:56 am Isn't it interesting that both the Funimation dub and Blue Water dub of Dragon Ball decided to use the original music? Even though Funimation later decided to go with a replacement score for GT... I wonder how that decision was made. Ocean still used a replacement score for Z, even though it was recycled.
As I understand it Ocean got their Z dub assets from Funimation i.e their video masters, their scripts, their effects track etc. Since Funimation didn't use the Japanese music for Z, Ocean didn have the the Kikuchi score to work with. Funimation was probably hoping Ocean Group would license the Faulconer score for their own dub and Ocean went the cheapest route they could; using stock music they had the rights to. Since they got OG Dragon Ball and GT material from the French dub they were given the Japanese music track to work with (their opening for the original Dragon Ball is also just a translation of the French opening)

As far as Funimation using the Japanese music for the original Dragon Ball, that was the route they were going in anyways with all their non-Z and GT dubs. Replacing the music wasn't a popular decision with the online fandom in the early 2000s and the original Dragon Ball was Funimation's half hearted attempt to show fans they're willing to play ball in their court (look we're using the Japanese music you all keep bitching about, we even let you vote on some of the voices). I also think using their own music wasn't nearly as profitable as they assumed it would be, so that was probably a factor too. They would have to license the Japanese music to include the Japanese audio on dvd releases(one of the many reasons the Japanese music is too expensive excuse was always straight up bullshit)....so why not use it?!?

I think the only reason GT used a new score was because Funimation was under the impression it was a failure and needed to be done completely different "You think you know GT"
Thank you for the great explanation! If that was the rationale for replacing the GT score, it's pretty funny that they chose to give it the most bland, boring, droning score they've ever done. I would've gladly taken more Falconer tracks over that mess of a score. The Ultimate Uncut replacement score was also awful, but it didn't hold a candle to GT's.

Anyway, I keep wanting to try to sync the Blue Water audio to the Dragon Box. But, I never really get around to it.

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:48 pm

Of course, in a blue water dub thread, I have to ask does anyone know were to find the full episode 71 of the dub because it's lost :crazy: :eh:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:00 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:03 pmAnyway, I keep wanting to try to sync the Blue Water audio to the Dragon Box. But, I never really get around to it.
I can't share a link because it goes against this forum's rules but I can confirm I do know one fan who is working on that at the moment.
Dragon ball master wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:48 pm Of course, in a blue water dub thread, I have to ask does anyone know were to find the full episode 71 of the dub because it's lost :crazy: :eh:
You just answered your own question. The full episode can't be found in any of the places the Blue Water dub is being shared, because no one who is willing to share this dub has a copy. Someone on YouTube seems to have the full episode recorded and has said he would share it, but hasn't done so yet. Sadly someone commented offering him money for a copy, I really hope that hasn't gone to his head. Apparently there are other fans out there who have this whole episode but have become hoarders to spite other fans who want to see it. It's really sad, but rare dub content often brings out the worst in this fandom.