Toriyama one-shot: Hyowtam

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Toriyama one-shot: Hyowtam

Post by Herms » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:39 pm

Alright, so this isn’t directly DB-related, but it is Toriyama-related, so hopefully the powers-that-be will let this slide. Over at Kanzentai we’ve added a scanslation of the Toriyama one-shot Hyowtam to our manga downloads section. This came out in 2000, in a special electronic-themed Jump issue called “E-Jump”. Toriyama made the whole thing on his computer, in full color. This manga has never been reprinted in any of the Toriyama one-shot collections, and isn’t even included in many lists of his works.

So, um…DragonBall, DragonBall…oh, I know! How does this one-shot compare to DragonBall? I think it’s quite different from it myself, to the point where I could imagine someone being surprised that they’re by the same author (and there's no poop jokes!). What do you think?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Checking it out now. It's always nice to see something new from Toriyama (okay maybe its not new but it's sure is to me) even if it's not DB related.

EDIT: It was such a sweet short story and I absolutely loved it. Thank you for the translation Herms.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:13 pm

Reading. Thanks, Hermes! ;)

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Damn, Farmer With Shotgun really let himself go.

Thanks for this!!
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:37 pm

That was really neat! Hyowtam kinda looks like Tingle from Zelda to me. Maybe I've just been playing too many video games.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:33 am

One of my least favorite of his works (probably because the length made the story plot-pointless), but I'm still happy to see some new Toriyama, especially since I've never heard of this one before. Quick questions:

1) Isn't the bad guy one of three thugs Makoleen beat up near the beginning of Cowa?

2) What's the Japanese name for where Hyowtam comes from? It seems to imply Heaven, where Toccio the Angel comes from, and Hyowtam and Toccio both have the same kind of magical rod.

3) ...Where have we seen that whale before?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

keyslimepies

Re: Toriyama one-shot: Hyowtam

Post by keyslimepies » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:39 pm

Herms wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:39 pm Alright, so this isn’t directly DB-related, but it is Toriyama-related, so hopefully the powers-that-be will let this slide. Over at Kanzentai we’ve added a scanslation of the Toriyama one-shot Hyowtam to our manga downloads section. This came out in 2000, in a special electronic-themed Jump issue called “E-Jump”. Toriyama made the whole thing on his computer, in full color. This manga has never been reprinted in any of the Toriyama one-shot collections, and isn’t even included in many lists of his works.
Would it possible for you to re-upload Hyowtam somewhere? I can't find it anywhere and have been looking for months.

keyslimepies

Re: Toriyama one-shot: Hyowtam

Post by keyslimepies » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:52 pm

keyslimepies wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:39 pm Would it possible for you to re-upload Hyowtam somewhere? I can't find it anywhere and have been looking for months.
Sorry to double post... I made a Twitter account and found it in Portuguese on there.