Toonami Rewind Block On Fridays.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Toonami Rewind Block On Fridays.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:15 pm

https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/videos/789303179972075

Toonami Rewind Promo | Dated
We are happy to announce that every Friday starting May 31st Toonami is going back in time.
Say hello to Toonami Rewind, Fridays 5-7p on adult swim.
Line up below –
05:00PM – Sailor Moon (VIZ English Dub version)
05:30PM – Dragon Ball Z Kai
06:00PM – Dragon Ball Z Kai
06:30PM – Naruto
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Toonami Rewind Block On Fridays.

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:32 pm

That's neat. I don't have cable anymore, but I would love to see Big O or Cyborg 009 be on there.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:37 pm

I love that this keeps showing I WAS RIGHT. TOEI DOES care about TV still. Sure streaming is good but Toei also cares about Traditional TV.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 17, 2024 3:23 pm

That's neat, the name reminds me of back during its first year on Cartoon Network UK we had 'Dragon Ball Z Rewind' on Saturdays and Sundays where they would repeat the week's episodes for those who missed them, or crazy people like me who wanted to watch them again. Good times :D
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri May 17, 2024 3:48 pm

They even used the old ID back from 2005-2006. Man, it brought me back some good old memories. Truly a rewind.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri May 17, 2024 6:18 pm

I get WHY they can't use the old Canadian dub for Sailor Moon but it is kinda weird to use the ViZ dub as part of a nostalgic throwback block when it's never been on Toonami before. At least Dragon Ball Z Kai did run on Toonami like 10 years ago and actually qualifies as a "rewind" and had they used Dragon Ball Z it likely would have been Kikuchi Remastered Z dub anyways.

TechExpert2021

Post by TechExpert2021 » Fri May 17, 2024 8:59 pm

I don’t have cable anymore but Toonami Rewind is interesting to see, especially for those who grew up with Cartoon Network's Toonami block between 1997-2008 and Adult Swim's Toonami block since 2012.
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:18 pm I get WHY they can't use the old Canadian dub for Sailor Moon but it is kinda weird to use the ViZ dub as part of a nostalgic throwback block when it's never been on Toonami before. At least Dragon Ball Z Kai did run on Toonami like 10 years ago and actually qualifies as a "rewind" and had they used Dragon Ball Z it likely would have been Kikuchi Remastered Z dub anyways.
The old DiC and Clowerway English dubs of Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon are long out of print and are no longer available to watch legally. That's pretty much why Adult Swim selected the Viz Media English dub of Sailor Moon to air on Toonami Rewind instead of the old DiC/Cloverway English dubs, which can be a bit weird to people who grew up watching the DiC and Cloverway English dubs on Cartoon Network's Toonami block between 1998-2002 as a child.

I don't want to be rude but the DiC and Cloverway English dubs are horrible. The voice acting sounds awful, the dubs are heavily censored, certain episodes are either removed or merged, love and gay relationships and subplots are completely erased, the entire original Japanese soundtrack is replaced with a generic replacement soundtrack (DiC dub only, the Clowerway English dub retains the original Japanese soundtrack), the DiC dub included Sailor Says segments for the sake of fulfilling the FCC educational programming requirements (the DiC dub originally aired on syndication whereas the Clowerway English dub aired exclusively on Cartoon Network, as cable channels do not fall under the FCC programming regulations), and the final season (Sailor Stars) was not dubbed into English. The Viz Media English dub is superior to the old DiC/Cloverway English dubs, like how FUNimation's dub of DBZ Kai is superior to their 1999 dub of DBZ.

For DBZ Kai, it's interesting that they're bringing back DBZ Kai as I grew up watching the FUNimation dub of the anime back in 2016 or 2017 as a child. If my memory serves it, I was at the Perfect Cell saga. I don't know which episode I was at during that time.

Also, if they're going to air the English version of the 1st DBZ Kai opening (Dragon Soul), sadly they have to use an English version that is not sung by Vic Mignogna due to the notorious Vic Mignogna sexual harassment allegations from 2019. They'll also be airing the FUNimation dub of DBZ Kai with the misplaced Shunsuke Kikuchi soundtrack for the first 98 episodes, like their previous 2014-2018 airings, due to the Kenji Yamamoto plagiarism scandal from 2011.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 18, 2024 10:35 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:18 pm I get WHY they can't use the old Canadian dub for Sailor Moon but it is kinda weird to use the ViZ dub as part of a nostalgic throwback block when it's never been on Toonami before. At least Dragon Ball Z Kai did run on Toonami like 10 years ago and actually qualifies as a "rewind" and had they used Dragon Ball Z it likely would have been Kikuchi Remastered Z dub anyways.
As someone that is entirely clueless about Sailor Moon's English dub lore aside from surface level knowledge that like Dragon Ball Z it has indeed been dubbed more than once my guess would be either there is some sort of rights difficulties regarding the DiC dub, or the more likely scenario that Toonami don't want to pay for it and just want to reuse whatever they currently have the license to.

If I recall correctly someone said here Toonami is airing Kai because they no longer have the rights to Dragon Ball Z, so to rerun it they would need to get a new broadcasting license from Funimation/Crunchyroll with approval from TOEI (which I doubt they'd have a problem with). Of course they opted to air Kai in 2014 because despite the show already airing on Nicktoons and the CW it was new for Toonami. I know one episode of Dragon Ball Z was rerun in 2012 during that whole "April Fools" thing but Cartoon Network's license probably expired not long after since they didn't even rerun it when Toonami relaunched for good that same year. They probably could have renewed their license at any time, but it seems Toonami were waiting for the right opportunity with Kai when they could be the exclusive place to watch it on live TV and the premier of Funimation's uncut dub on a traditional network and probably feared the original Dragon Ball Z series would just become a competing product. Considering the fact Kai got respectable ratings in the (ongoing to this day, as you know) cord cutting era I think they did a fine job considering it was the third time Kai premiered on TV in the US, not to mention with the version Toonami aired readily available on home video.

As I recall Kai had a second run on Toonami in late 2018, but I don't remember if it was rerun after that point so maybe their license expired since then although I'd guess they would have been quick to renew it to repeat the success they had with it. Would a rerun of Dragon Ball Z have a similar level of success or even surpass that? Maybe, but it's safe to assume either Toonami renewed their license to Kai or the license they got in 2014 never expired, but in either case it was probably cheaper than getting a new license for a show that's 124 episodes longer.

And while traditional TV may not be dead we can say for certain its not doing the business it did in the 90s and 2000s, so from a business perspective I can certainly understand the rationale in playing it safe by rerunning Kai. Bringing back Dragon Ball Z may be somewhat of a novelty for viewers but were fans and it's easy for us to have ambitious ideas (as I did in a previous thread when I entertained the idea of the Saban dub finally rerunning) and be biased (which admittedly I was in that specific case) when we're not seeing the money coming in and out on a constant basis. For those that do keep track of these things I wouldn't at all be surprised if airing Dragon Ball Z was determined to be more of a risky initiative.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 18, 2024 10:45 am

More likely it is the fact that Naoko Takeuchi DESPISES THAT DUB. She is extremely hands on with the franchise and wouldnt ever allow it to air again.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat May 18, 2024 11:21 am

I like the part where I said "I get why" and get multiple replies telling me why.

Seriously guys, it wasn't a question of why they didn't use the Canadian dub, it was an comment that regardless it's still weird to use the Studiopolis dub for a throwback block.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat May 18, 2024 11:22 am

I'd have to imagine Toonami choosing to air Kai over Z in recent years has to do with efficiency.

Their 1st run of Kai was only 1 episode per week. If they'd chosen to rerun all of Z like that in 2015, the filler would've killed the ratings. Kai got to the big moments much faster.

It's cool that Toonami are doing this now, even if Kai isn't that old. The 1996-2003 edited Z dub would've been better as a throwback, but it would take forever to get through, and would have to be licensed separately.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat May 18, 2024 11:25 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:45 am More likely it is the fact that Naoko Takeuchi DESPISES THAT DUB. She is extremely hands on with the franchise and wouldnt ever allow it to air again.
I believe i've seen it mentioned before about how much Takeuchi hated the old DiC/Cloverway Sailor Moon dubs and the fact she apparently had a direct hand in numerous aspects of the production of Viz's redub (even down to voice selection) says something.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat May 18, 2024 11:27 am

90sDBZ wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:22 am I'd have to imagine Toonami choosing to air Kai over Z in recent years has to do with efficiency.

Their 1st run of Kai was only 1 episode per week. If they'd chosen to rerun all of Z like that in 2015, the filler would've killed the ratings. Kai got to the big moments much faster.

It's cool that Toonami are doing this now, even if Kai isn't that old. The 1996-2003 edited Z dub would've been better as a throwback, but it would take forever to get through, and would have to be licensed separately.
And Funimation likes to downplay the Ocean Group's tenure and supposedly (not 100 percent sure on how true it is so maybe it's bullshit) the lawsuit from Faulconer involves him receiving royalties when Mike Smith, Julius Dobos and , Scott Morgan's score is played on tv which is fine for like a one time thing for an April Fool's joke but probably not something Funimation is keen on for an extended period of time.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat May 18, 2024 11:34 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:27 am
90sDBZ wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:22 am I'd have to imagine Toonami choosing to air Kai over Z in recent years has to do with efficiency.

And Funimation likes to downplay the Ocean Group's tenure and supposedly (not 100 percent sure on how true it is so maybe it's bullshit) the lawsuit from Faulconer involves him receiving royalties when Mike Smith, Julius Dobos and , Scott Morgan's score is played on tv which is fine for like a one time thing for an April Fool's joke but probably not something Funimation is keen on for an extended period of time.
Yes, it seems that they've tried as much as possible over the years to distance themselves from that dub even if it was one that THEY made themeselves outside of the voice work being outsourced to the Vancouver cast. Despite all the misconceptions that come up, it was a FUNi production just as much as their own subsequent circa 2004 redub of those very same episodes. They even called it the "Ocean dub" on the Rock the Dragon set which aligns with that. Effectively downplaying the fact that it was something which was their own, that is other than the voices of the characters as they weren't really in a position to have an in house cast as back in 1996 they were effectively still a start up company more or less with not much money and thus they could only outsource for voices at the time.

Granted, there was a lot of changeover at the company over the years and all but the point still stands that other than the RtD set they all but swept the old version with the Ocean cast under the rug.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 18, 2024 11:57 am

To give Funimation credit where its due, as 90sDBZ pointed out before they did refer to it as "the legendary Ocean dub" on the Rock the Dragon boxset.

I do completely understand the frustrations from some fans over the confusion the term "Ocean dub" has caused over the years though. At one point I even heard a Canadian with a massive YouTube following saying "Ocean was ruining Dragon Ball Z until Funimation saved it" :roll: .

It's one thing to like one cast more than another, and I have no problem with any cases of that because this is art, but fans need to avoid the temptation to blindly pedestalize their preferred company as if they can do no wrong (and both Ocean and Funimation fans are guilty of this).

Sadly that's inevitable when we call those first 53 episodes "the Ocean dub" even for the sake of simplicity as we can't expect all fans to know the ins and outs, especially outside our small hardcore bubble here on Kanzenshuu. I can understand Funimation using the term on Rock the Dragon as they probably assumed (and rightly so) most, if not all the fans who bought that box set knew enough to not be misled by the term, but if Lance Heiskell's original pitch for the set to be a collection of standard DVD sets for Walmart was approved they would have had to be more careful.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat May 18, 2024 12:21 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:34 am Yes, it seems that they've tried as much as possible over the years to distance themselves from that dub even if it was one that THEY made themeselves outside of the voice work being outsourced to the Vancouver cast. Despite all the misconceptions that come up, it was a FUNi production just as much as their own subsequent circa 2004 redub of those very same episodes. They even called it the "Ocean dub" on the Rock the Dragon set which aligns with that. Effectively downplaying the fact that it was something which was their own, that is other than the voices of the characters as they weren't really in a position to have an in house cast as back in 1996 they were effectively still a start up company more or less with not much money and thus they could only outsource for voices at the time.

Granted, there was a lot of changeover at the company over the years and all but the point still stands that other than the RtD set they all but swept the old version with the Ocean cast under the rug.
To be fair, it made sense referring to it as "The Ocean dub" on the RtD set. Most of the fanbase know it as just that, and they had to make it clear what the main selling point of that set was. Simply calling it "The Toonami broadcast dub" would cause confusion, as the redub also aired on Toonami later on.

If Funimation really wanted to bury that dub and act like it never existed, then why did they bother putting that set out at all? It came out in 2013, so at that point it was competing with several other home releases of Z.

Nothing forced them to put that set out. For all the mistakes Funimation made as a company, I definitely got the impression the RtD set had good intentions behind it. I actually bought it myself, and was very happy with it.

I've never completely bought into the idea that Funimation were actively trying to distance themselves from the Ocean days. The RtD set has Funimation's logo on the packaging, and on the actual discs themselves. The description on the back even refers to it as "The Legendary Ocean dub", which obviously shows it in a positive light.

I think the notion of Funimation being "anti-Ocean" comes more from a small minority of the voice actors getting involved in drama behind the scenes. Even then you have stuff like Sabat casting Drummond as Copy Vegeta, and Scott McNeil being on good terms with the texas guys.

The Ultimate Uncut redub was made so those episodes would be available uncut, and to provide a dub with a consistent cast. It makes sense for that dub to be the one on modern home releases, even if the 96 dub is still better in some ways and deserves another re-release in some form.

If anything, some of Funimation/Crunchyroll's actors want to distance themselves from their own Z dub in favor of Kai, but can't due to the formers popularity. The unaltered 1999 dub in particular, as it hasn't been on a release since the old singles.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 18, 2024 2:05 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:21 pm I think the notion of Funimation being "anti-Ocean" comes more from a small minority of the voice actors getting involved in drama behind the scenes. Even then you have stuff like Sabat casting Drummond as Copy Vegeta, and Scott McNeil being on good terms with the texas guys.
Funimation also gladly hired Ocean to edit their dub of Kai for the Nicktoons broadcasts and credited them accordingly:

Now this may have initially been a mutually beneficial arrangement, but sadly as we know only one of these two companies fully reaped the rewards such an initiative should have provided. Ocean may have been paid to create a TV edit (which they did a superb job at) but they've missed opportunities for over a decade to have their own dub aired anywhere while Funimation's dub has been broadcast in most territories that previously aired Dragon Ball in English, including territories like the UK, which would have been perfect for it considering they aired the Westwood dub.

Also to play devil's advocate, we need to remember it's showbiz, not showfriends, so while Funimation may have no ill will towards Ocean they will always see them as a competitor and do all in their power to undermine them if deemed necessary.

Prior to Kix airing Kai we had been told the Ocean dub's premier was imminent, and allegedly two years prior a fan received this email from the head of the company saying they accepted an offer from an unnamed British channel:

Of course as Kix told Solidus via email and the promos corroborated when these airings came around it was Funimation's dub, supposedly because TOEI gave them no other option, despite their parent company CSC Media going for other shows with Ocean dubs like Scan2Go and Pretty Cure (another TOEI property) on Pop Girl, meaning a Canadian Kai dub would have been the perfect fit. I've heard other rumours from credible sources Funimation may have pulled some strings to prevent Ocean's dub from being offered. Sadly I can't confirm this, but as a business they would naturally want to minimise or even abolish any competition as its all about the money at the end of the day.

There's also no reason for Funimation (or Crunchyroll now) to not at least include the Pioneer movie dubs as additional audio tracks on the uncut releases of Dragon Ball Z movies 1-3. They just... don't release them. One interesting remark I heard from a Star Wars fan in The People vs George Lucas documentary is how much confidence George Lucas would be showing for his revisions if Lucasfilm released both the theatrical and special editions of the original Star Wars trilogy on the same release. We can apply the same logic to Funimation not releasing the Pioneer dubs, they have no reason not to, other than a fear fans might prefer the Vancouver cast, but it would be a respectable move to do so in spite of that and give fans both options, thus the freedom to decide for themselves.

Hell from what I've heard Funimation included the old Bandai dub of Escaflowne (which featured the Ocean cast) on their DVDs alongside the newer Texas dub, why should an uncut dub of anything Dragon Ball they outright own be any different?

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat May 18, 2024 4:38 pm

Honestly, this is awesome, if not also slightly irrelevant in 2024. As a 13 year old back in 2010, it sucked not to have Naruto Shippuden and Dragon Ball Z Kai airing on Cartoon Network together. Sure, we have them airing on Saturday night Adult Swim Toonami, but teen me would've LOVED for Kai and Shippuden to air 5-7pm every week/weekday on Cartoon Network like the OG Toonami did (which I missed out on because I was too young). Since I'm 27 now, it doesn't mean as much as it would've back when Kai and Shippuden were brand new.

Also, Kai found success on Nicktoons, but Shippuden didn't last on Disney XD. It's mind boggling Cartoon Network didn't want the latest installments (at the time in 2010) of their biggest anime on their network. But 2010 was a weird transitional period for Cartoon Network and leadership was adamant about not airing anime besides stuff like Pokemon.

Back to this Toonami Rewind, I'm starting to see that traditional cable might survive longer, but only with older viewers who crave nostalgia without the overwhelming nature of streaming services. MeTV Toons is also coming soon so there's a pattern here. Anyway, I'm off Fridays from work so I'll definitely watch it the first week and try to catch it whenever I can. I mean, I grew up on both Naruto (back during 07-09 on Toonami) and Kai (2010-2011 on Nicktoons). And to see the new Sailor Moon dub air on TV is pretty cool, even if I'm not a Sailor Moon fan.

With this in mind, I wonder if Daima will even air on Toonami/TV when it comes out or streaming. Also, happy to see Cure get some good news about Dragon Ball on TV.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 18, 2024 5:37 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:38 pm Honestly, this is awesome, if not also slightly irrelevant in 2024. As a 13 year old back in 2010, it sucked not to have Naruto Shippuden and Dragon Ball Z Kai airing on Cartoon Network together. Sure, we have them airing on Saturday night Adult Swim Toonami, but teen me would've LOVED for Kai and Shippuden to air 5-7pm every week/weekday on Cartoon Network like the OG Toonami did (which I missed out on because I was too young). Since I'm 27 now, it doesn't mean as much as it would've back when Kai and Shippuden were brand new.

Also, Kai found success on Nicktoons, but Shippuden didn't last on Disney XD. It's mind boggling Cartoon Network didn't want the latest installments (at the time in 2010) of their biggest anime on their network. But 2010 was a weird transitional period for Cartoon Network and leadership was adamant about not airing anime besides stuff like Pokemon.

Back to this Toonami Rewind, I'm starting to see that traditional cable might survive longer, but only with older viewers who crave nostalgia without the overwhelming nature of streaming services. MeTV Toons is also coming soon so there's a pattern here. Anyway, I'm off Fridays from work so I'll definitely watch it the first week and try to catch it whenever I can. I mean, I grew up on both Naruto (back during 07-09 on Toonami) and Kai (2010-2011 on Nicktoons). And to see the new Sailor Moon dub air on TV is pretty cool, even if I'm not a Sailor Moon fan.

With this in mind, I wonder if Daima will even air on Toonami/TV when it comes out or streaming. Also, happy to see Cure get some good news about Dragon Ball on TV.
Hi pal! Missed ya! BTW, I didn really realize the huge potential of Main Nick airing DB. Because despite being a huge success in CN, the highest DBZ got in that channel is 3 million... But Main Nick got to 11 million. Nowadays it would be a laughable idea for Nick to ever reach that high again but I wonder what would have happened if MAIN NICK got over their cold feet and aired DBZ in their prime.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 18, 2024 6:10 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:38 pm With this in mind, I wonder if Daima will even air on Toonami/TV when it comes out or streaming. Also, happy to see Cure get some good news about Dragon Ball on TV.
It's going to air on Fuji TV so I don't know why not. It would be a new license, sure, but if Toonami strikes while the iron is hot they're bound to have similar levels of success as what they had with Kai and Super.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:37 pmBut Main Nick got to 11 million. Nowadays it would be a laughable idea for Nick to ever reach that high again but I wonder what would have happened if MAIN NICK got over their cold feet and aired DBZ in their prime.
Interesting question. I'm not sure of numbers off the top of my head (although if you or anyone else can quote any go for it) but some impressive feats of Dragon Ball Z's run on Toonami were:
  • In September 2001 when it beat every weekday show except TNN's WWF Entertainment show and every cable programme other than the ESPN's NFL coverage when it's ratings ranged from 2.1 to 2.7
  • A year later when the new season premier beat the goddam Simpsons when it had ratings of 11.5 and 6.6 for boys aged 9-14 an the 12-24 male demographic respectively
Toonami's marketing team were masters of their craft though and while we may not all love the reversionary edgy slant themselves and Funimation gave Dragon Ball Z they did a better job at selling the show than a lot of other broadcasters would have. Maybe Nickelodeon would have had something up their sleeves to surprise us if they did get the license in 1998-2003 though.

The most high profile English dubbed anime broadcast on main Nickelodeon I'm aware of was when the UK channel aired Yu-Gi-Oh in 2001-2006 when they were competing with one other major channel airing the show at the same time (Sky One) or two if you count the Irish channel RTÉ2, which beat both of them to the final episodes of seasons 3, 4 and 5 (and shocked fans worldwide with the premier of the Capsule Monsters mini-series no one knew existed). Most UK recordings I've seen of Yu-Gi-Oh seem to be from Nickelodeon so I guess they had the best ratings of all three channels though.