Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:17 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:59 pm

This video of Richard Ian Cox at Anime Evolution 4 years ago is actually kinda funny as well now considering the recent revelation :p I remember I watched this video years ago just for his conformation of the InuYasha: Final Act Ocean dub, but it now has a more ironic twist to it.

To be fair, Richard wasn't lying when he says he wasn't in DBZ since, well, he was cast for Goku in Kai. However at the point in time of this video, it's likely that he wasn't cast yet since it's roughly a month before we learned of the Ocean Kai dub from Kirby Morrow via Trevor Devall's podcast.

But I like to speculate in my head at the thought of that slim chance that he was cast already and he was just protecting the NDA by denying his involvement with the franchise (and altogether screwing the NDA for InuYasha in the same video hahaha) :twisted:
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3583
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:55 pm

xXInfinite026Xx wrote:This video of Richard Ian Cox at Anime Evolution 4 years ago is actually kinda funny as well now considering the recent revelation :p I remember I watched this video years ago just for his conformation of the InuYasha: Final Act Ocean dub, but it now has a more ironic twist to it.

To be fair, Richard wasn't lying when he says he wasn't in DBZ since, well, he was cast for Goku in Kai. However at the point in time of this video, it's likely that he wasn't cast yet since it's roughly a month before we learned of the Ocean Kai dub from Kirby Morrow via Trevor Devall's podcast.

But I like to speculate in my head at the thought of that slim chance that he was cast already and he was just protecting the NDA by denying his involvement with the franchise (and altogether screwing the NDA for InuYasha in the same video hahaha) :twisted:
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. After all, we don't know how far in advance of Kirby's interview that he re-auditioned for Goku. For all we know, Kirby re-auditioned 2-3 months before Trevor Devall got around to interviewing him.

I guess we'll never know for sure, but I wouldn't rule it out. Pretty interesting! Either way, his signature on that manga is now way more applicable than it was before.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3970
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:55 pm

And now someone should persuade Cox to dub that 2008 Ranma OVA just so Viz has an excuse to release it. :problem:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am
Location: Spain

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:31 am

Valerius Dover wrote:^That piece happens to be from Mega Man. 8)
I know, but since I didn't want to start long explanations about what the Ocean dub was (people would have thought I was nuts) I just answered in vague terms, something along the lines of "Well, I think it was used in a few animated series, but I just came across it on YT".
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3970
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Image

That is your Goku guys.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:59 am
Location: Qld Australia

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by JackyBoi99 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:00 pm

He has a sense of humor I guess?
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

User avatar
Hades
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Hades » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:03 am

Kid Buu wrote:Image

That is your Goku guys.
UWOTM8? :x
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Subzero Ice
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Subzero Ice » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:43 pm

I don't know what's more surprising, the fact that Ocean managed to keep the new Goku a secret for this long, or the fact that the identify of the voice actor of the new Goku has been revealed before an official announcement.

Anyway following on from the reveal that Richard Ian Cox is the new Goku, I will reveal one more piece of information.

CSC Media (owners of Channel Kix; the current broadcasters of Dragon Ball Kai in the UK) were NOT given the option to purchase the Ocean dub of Kai. Toei Animation ONLY gave them the option of the Funimation dub of Kai. CSC Media are aware of the existence of the Ocean dub.

Make of that what you will.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3583
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Subzero Ice wrote:I don't know what's more surprising, the fact that Ocean managed to keep the new Goku a secret for this long, or the fact that the identify of the voice actor of the new Goku has been revealed before an official announcement.

Anyway following on from the reveal that Richard Ian Cox is the new Goku, I will reveal one more piece of information.

CSC Media (owners of Channel Kix; the current broadcasters of Dragon Ball Kai in the UK) were NOT given the option to purchase the Ocean dub of Kai. Toei Animation ONLY gave them the option of the Funimation dub of Kai. CSC Media are aware of the existence of the Ocean dub.

Make of that what you will.
Just out of curiosity, Subzero Ice...is there any chance that we can get you to reveal how exactly you know all this info after the dub has actually aired? No worries if we can't, of course. Just curious.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Subzero Ice
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Subzero Ice » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:52 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Subzero Ice wrote:I don't know what's more surprising, the fact that Ocean managed to keep the new Goku a secret for this long, or the fact that the identify of the voice actor of the new Goku has been revealed before an official announcement.

Anyway following on from the reveal that Richard Ian Cox is the new Goku, I will reveal one more piece of information.

CSC Media (owners of Channel Kix; the current broadcasters of Dragon Ball Kai in the UK) were NOT given the option to purchase the Ocean dub of Kai. Toei Animation ONLY gave them the option of the Funimation dub of Kai. CSC Media are aware of the existence of the Ocean dub.

Make of that what you will.
Just out of curiosity, Subzero Ice...is there any chance that we can get you to reveal how exactly you know all this info after the dub has actually aired? No worries if we can't, of course. Just curious.
I just replied to your PM.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6585
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:45 pm

What I make of it: this will never be aired or released anywhere. I hope I'm wrong, though, since I love comparing dubs.

User avatar
El Diabeetus
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:15 pm

Huh, maybe that means it'll be Canada exclusive this time?

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3583
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:58 pm

sangofe wrote:What I make of it: this will never be aired or released anywhere. I hope I'm wrong, though, since I love comparing dubs.
I admit, I'm a little bummed and worried that this dub still isn't out, but there is a reason I still believe it will be seen at some point: Canada. Kai has still not aired on Canadian TV in any way, shape, or form. Considering that this dub is being produced in Canada, I think it's doubtful that that's a coincidence.

If the FUNimation dub airs on Canadian TV at some point, then at that point, I will be convinced that we're not going to see the Ocean dub. Only at that point, though.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:31 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
sangofe wrote:What I make of it: this will never be aired or released anywhere. I hope I'm wrong, though, since I love comparing dubs.
I admit, I'm a little bummed and worried that this dub still isn't out, but there is a reason I still believe it will be seen at some point: Canada. Kai has still not aired on Canadian TV in any way, shape, or form. Considering that this dub is being produced in Canada, I think it's doubtful that that's a coincidence.

If the FUNimation dub airs on Canadian TV at some point, then at that point, I will be convinced that we're not going to see the Ocean dub. Only at that point, though.
Then what would happen to the Ocean Dub?

I almost have a feeling FUNimation is waiting for some kind of special release and will present the ocean dub on a special edition of Kai on a Blu Ray. So there would be 3 language tracks, two of which are in English: English (USA), English (Canada), Japanese.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3583
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:18 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
sangofe wrote:What I make of it: this will never be aired or released anywhere. I hope I'm wrong, though, since I love comparing dubs.
I admit, I'm a little bummed and worried that this dub still isn't out, but there is a reason I still believe it will be seen at some point: Canada. Kai has still not aired on Canadian TV in any way, shape, or form. Considering that this dub is being produced in Canada, I think it's doubtful that that's a coincidence.

If the FUNimation dub airs on Canadian TV at some point, then at that point, I will be convinced that we're not going to see the Ocean dub. Only at that point, though.
Then what would happen to the Ocean Dub?
Not sure. Productions have started only to be cancelled, though. In between Superman (--OK, sorry, sorry for bringing up Superman on a Dragon Ball site considering the arguments that usually triggers, but it's the most apt example I can think of--) IV: The Quest For Peace and Superman Returns, Warner Bros spent millions upon millions of dollars on scripts, artwork, costumes, set designs, set construction, actors, directors, and scriptwriters...that never got used.

So, while I certainly hope this doesn't happen, it is theoretically possible that all of those recordings for the Ocean dub may never see the light of day. I'm praying that's not what happens, but it could.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Bananape
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Bananape » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:47 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I admit, I'm a little bummed and worried that this dub still isn't out, but there is a reason I still believe it will be seen at some point: Canada. Kai has still not aired on Canadian TV in any way, shape, or form. Considering that this dub is being produced in Canada, I think it's doubtful that that's a coincidence.

If the FUNimation dub airs on Canadian TV at some point, then at that point, I will be convinced that we're not going to see the Ocean dub. Only at that point, though.
You're half right about that. Canada was, and still is, able to get access to The CW, so technically, the Toonzai and Vortexx broadcasts of Z Kai were also Canadian premieres. Also, since Canada and the US both use R1 Blu-rays, Canada also had access to the uncut releases of Z Kai. I should know, since I both watched and purchased Z Kai and live in Canada.

It's also a situation of how YTV manages their shows now compared to almost 20 years ago. Just recently, YTV moved most, if not all, of it's anime titles to Teletoon, another Canadian channel, including it's longest running show, Pokémon.

I was pretty sure YTV would eventually get the broadcast rights to Z Kai since it hosts a lot of Nickelodeon shows and Z Kai had finished it's entire English Dub run on Nicktoons. But now that Z Kai is moving to [adult swim]'s Toonami block, it makes it even less likely.

If it does air in Canada, I'm pretty sure at this point it will not be on YTV. I'm thinking Teletoon at Night might be it's next best chance, since it's essentially the Canadian version of [adult swim].

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3583
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:07 am

Bananape wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I admit, I'm a little bummed and worried that this dub still isn't out, but there is a reason I still believe it will be seen at some point: Canada. Kai has still not aired on Canadian TV in any way, shape, or form. Considering that this dub is being produced in Canada, I think it's doubtful that that's a coincidence.

If the FUNimation dub airs on Canadian TV at some point, then at that point, I will be convinced that we're not going to see the Ocean dub. Only at that point, though.
You're half right about that. Canada was, and still is, able to get access to The CW, so technically, the Toonzai and Vortexx broadcasts of Z Kai were also Canadian premieres. Also, since Canada and the US both use R1 Blu-rays, Canada also had access to the uncut releases of Z Kai. I should know, since I both watched and purchased Z Kai and live in Canada.
Well, I knew about the home video release, but I didn't know about the TV situation. When you say that Canada is "able to get access" to the CW, is it something that someone in Canada has to go out of their way to do? Like, is it a premium access channel in Canada, or part of some package deal? Or is it a very easily-accessed channel--even in Canada--that even those with the bare minimum TV channels can view?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Bananape
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Bananape » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:51 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Bananape wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I admit, I'm a little bummed and worried that this dub still isn't out, but there is a reason I still believe it will be seen at some point: Canada. Kai has still not aired on Canadian TV in any way, shape, or form. Considering that this dub is being produced in Canada, I think it's doubtful that that's a coincidence.

If the FUNimation dub airs on Canadian TV at some point, then at that point, I will be convinced that we're not going to see the Ocean dub. Only at that point, though.
You're half right about that. Canada was, and still is, able to get access to The CW, so technically, the Toonzai and Vortexx broadcasts of Z Kai were also Canadian premieres. Also, since Canada and the US both use R1 Blu-rays, Canada also had access to the uncut releases of Z Kai. I should know, since I both watched and purchased Z Kai and live in Canada.
Well, I knew about the home video release, but I didn't know about the TV situation. When you say that Canada is "able to get access" to the CW, is it something that someone in Canada has to go out of their way to do? Like, is it a premium access channel in Canada, or part of some package deal? Or is it a very easily-accessed channel--even in Canada--that even those with the bare minimum TV channels can view?
No, it's pretty much easy to access. Canadians can easily access affiliates of ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and The CW. Pretty much all of my friends can access these channels, and they're on different plans, so unless someone can confirm otherwise, I'm fairly certain watching Dragon Ball Z Kai on Toonzai and Vortexx was pretty easy to do.

User avatar
Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here
Posts: 2282
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 pm
Location: Hail

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:17 am

The CW availability in Canada varies per cable operator. Some may have it as part of a basic package alongside Fox, CBS, NBC and ABC while others may put it into a higher tier. Heck, depending on where you live, some Canadians may be able to get the channel over the air.

That said, I wouldn't really count that as a Canadian broadcast. Those are just mirrors of whatever the nearest US affiliate is running.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3794
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:37 am

Vortexx died a month ago.

You know what? I think YTV MIGHT show it as part of a Bionix revival led with DBZ Kai and Redubbed!SailorMoon. Viz Media made a point of of mentioning them on twitter. I wish they dubbed the Max Heart series of Pretty Cure.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Post Reply