Watching in RAW Japanese

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vekurotto
Regular

Watching in RAW Japanese

Post by Vekurotto » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:54 pm

As a Japanese learner I'm trying to refrain from using the subtitles when ever I watch DB when and I find that I'm understanding quite a bit and now I know that I actually am learning.

Has anybody else done this for any reason? It doesn't have to be mine exactly. It can but it doesn't have to.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:58 pm

Yes! I do the same thing when I am studying Spanish!
I'll watch the Ultimate Uncut DVDs, watch the random Spanish cable channels with DBZ, or go to Youtube.

I have used DBZ in Spanish as a learning tool.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:05 am

I've been leaving the subtitles off for awhile now, because I don't really need them. DragonBall is the only anime I do that with though. My Japanese listening skills are way below my reading skills and my hearing is kind of bad, so if I'm watching something new I use subtitles. But with DragonBall I pretty much already know what they're going to say and the dialog is often pretty simple. However, I will put on the subtitles if I want to quote some of the dialog for whatever reason.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:22 am

Herms wrote:...with DragonBall I pretty much already know what they're going to say and the dialog is often pretty simple.
Yeah for me I've only watched Dragon Ball & Z completely through once in Japanese (w/subs), so it's like my first time watching the series since I've started doing it this way. And with the dialogue, yeah it's simple, though I've heard simpler like in Sentai and those type of shows, but anyway I've found the experience to be enjoyable so far.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:52 am

I never turn off the subtitles... though what with not being able to see the screen, it's effectively raw if someone isn't reading over my shoulder.
I don't have much of the series in Japanese, though, so I've only done this with the first three episodes of GT, movies 10 and 13, the GT special and I think something else...
Now, if only myJapanese was good enough to understand more of it. :(. People say I have a talent with learning languages, but I think I'm better at speaking than interpretting... :(
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

mrkaizoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by mrkaizoku » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:18 am

The only time I use subs is if I'm watching anime with my brother. Any other time it's raw all the way. That is with Japanese and English only. Any other language and I will be begging for subs.
母しゃべる「ドッグチーズ」

kusakun004
Beyond Newbie

Post by kusakun004 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:38 pm

I only watch DB in raw Japanese when it has all the Japanese credits intact and everything's there. Like it was originally broadcast on Japanese TV or I-channel. So that would only apply to DBGT since it's the only one FUNi has totally uncut. Haven't tried the movies yet, though.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:53 pm

Anyone know of a Greek dub? :)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:08 pm

Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:55 pm

Some people talk pretty funny in Dragonball, so it's hard to tell what they're saying. I spent a ton of time trying to make subtitles for Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duel Monsters and I learned a lot of terminology but nobody really talks like that. The same is somewhat true here.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:30 pm

russ869 wrote:Some people talk pretty funny in Dragonball, so it's hard to tell what they're saying. I spent a ton of time trying to make subtitles for Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duel Monsters and I learned a lot of terminology but nobody really talks like that. The same is somewhat true here.
Compared to Dragonball, people talk pretty normally (for an anime) in Duel Monsters. Well, outside of a few people in GX (like Daisuke Gori's [sarcasm]awesome[/sarcasm] take on Satsuma-ben.)