Episode #0143 (24 August 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0143 (24 August 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:13 pm

Episode #0143 (download MP3) (rss feed)
48:16; 64 kbps, mono; 22.1 MB

Episode #0143! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian discuss Viz's fantastic release of the first daizenshuu in English ("The Complete Illustrations"). It's a day we thought would never happen, but here we are! Even more video game news come our way, new characters for the upcoming DB short, Julian's DBZ ABCs, and a whole lot of other good stuff rounds out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the kinda nice *one-hundred-forty-three* episodes, now.

Daiiiiiiiiiizeeeeeenshuuuuuuuuuuuuuu~. That is all. Carry on.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:14 pm

I love that commercial.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:05 pm

Never thought I'd be listening to the episode of DaizEX podcast that would go over the English release of the first Daizenshuu. Pure awesomeness.

Also, that commercial is too good.

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:50 pm

Great episode :P. Thanks for the Daizenshuu information, gotta buy it. :D

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:52 pm

I'm already getting tons of use out of my English Daizenshuu, it's nice to be able to flip to a page or two in one book to view every manga volumes cover. I don't think they will be releasing any more Daizenshuu here though,otherwise they would have left in the "1" indicating there are more to come.
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:55 pm

It's funny that you mentioned the drawing with Yamcha, Kuririn, and Trunks giving the finger to Cell. I was actually just reading that chapter a few days ago and when I saw the drawing I was sort of confused as to why they were all pointing a fist at Cell. Then it hit me that they'd censored out the finger and I got a good laugh out of it.

"The land of eagles and opportunities"

"And Mexicans" :lol:

"Hey, don't worry about it" :lol:
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:12 am

The English Daizenshuu is just too awesome. This was definitely the easiest one to translate, but at least it was a great start. Lets hope we get the rest. We should all start some kind of wish list for the other 6 Daizenshuu and add our names or any other info. to it just to show Viz how many people really want to buy these. Its more money for them so why should they complain. I don't know how to start such a list but if anyone would like to start one, do it. Maybe if we get luckier than we intend to, we will get the Perfect File Books and Daizenshuu 10 translated. If anyone has any other ideas, post them!
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:48 pm

That DB DS commercial was just pure joy. It also makes me wonder (spoiler) why I didn't get to sing "Makafushigi Adventure!" when I was in music class in grade school. All we got to sing were things like "My Favorite Things" and "If I Had a Hammer".... (Admittedly, when I was that age, the Dragon Ball anime didn't even exist....) (end spoiler)

That Daizenshuu Vol. 1 in English is on my WANT list now. Good review.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:53 pm

Julian says the daizenshuu were released from 1996-1997, but they actually came out from 1995 to early 1996, right after the end of the manga, and most came out before the Z anime even ended (hence the need to release Daizenshuu 10 to cover the end of the series).

About “Vegeta Jr.”, this is what it says on the Japanese Wikipedia page for DragonBall anime-original characters:
本名は明かされていないが、カード等の媒体にはベジータJrと記載されている。
“His real name isn't revealed, but in media such as cards and such it is recorded as Vegeta Jr.”

So it seems “Vegeta Jr.” isn't a complete fan-term.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:20 pm

Am I the only one, who thought that after hearing the singing of the song, in the beginning of the trailer, the original one sounded like shit. It sounds so cool in the trailer.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:17 pm

I finally found a copy of The Complete Illustrations at my nearby Boarders, so I got a chance to look through it at last. It's just like you said, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, nothing left out or censored. There are a few inconsistences with the rest of Viz's translations, like using "Dabura" instead of "Dabra". I also noticed that they they used "Kid Boo" instead of "pure Boo" like the Japanese has it.

Something you didn't cover was that Viz didn't include the Shenlong Times with it. I don't think that's too big a deal, but it's worth noting. All in all, I agree that this is something every fan should own (unless they already have the original, I guess).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:25 pm

Herms wrote:Something you didn't cover was that Viz didn't include the Shenlong Times with it. I don't think that's too big a deal, but it's worth noting.
Wow, you're right... I totally forgot about that. Good catch!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:46 pm

Okay, I guess I should help clear up the Ocean / Blue Water thing.

Here in Canada (specifically on YTV in the east), we got the original Ocean Group heavily edited FUNi Dub of DBZ like everybody else. And we switched to the FUNimation in house just like the states. For some reason, near the end of the Cell Games, we switched to the Ocean Cast again for the rest of the series.

After DBZ ended, we got the Blue Water dubs of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT.

Also, if I remember correctly, we also got at least the first 13 episodes of Dragon Ball before the Ocean FUNi DBZ dub. I don't remember what dub that was, though, as it was a long time ago.

Anyway, needless to say, the number of times I had to get used to new voices was jarring.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:52 pm

So basically, Blue Water also did the first DB TV series, and they did the entirety of it?

That's all I needed. Thanks :).

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote:So basically, Blue Water also did the first DB TV series, and they did the entirety of it?
Yup, they did all of the original series and GT. :)

Oddly, enough, though, they never did any of Z. Though I didn't know they were a sister studio to Ocean, so I guess that explains that.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:33 am

Good podcast guys! Who funk four five years ago we would even get a Daizenshuu, let alone a good copy! Well, I happy with it! And most of the forum seems to feel the same way, which is great!

I can't wait to get Dragonball ori...I mean DS! Infinite World is the most exciting think for me! I really loved all the Budokai games and this new one seems to add them all together! Can't wait for that sandwich! :)
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"