Live Action Movie Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:45 pm

Is that the one with Schwarzenegger? Because that film was awesome.......ly hilarious!
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:47 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:Is that the one with Schwarzenegger? Because that film was awesome.......ly hilarious!
LET'S KICK SOME ICE!

"We'd create a new world....

...Adam....

...and EVIL!!!!"

Remix
Beyond Newbie

Post by Remix » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 pm

No, its the one with Jim Carrey. Batman & Robin isn't even funny...

OKAY, WE NEED TO STOP WITH THE BATMAN. :lol:
Hi, I'm WeeklyTubeShow. Innagadadavida and I like to make videos.

Perhaps you'd like to see one.

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:14 pm

I have to admit a certian amount of love for the movie portrayal of Riddler. And Old Two-Face's costumes always make me smile because they were the most wonderful kind of crazy-colored-shit and purple hair swirls that I just love on him. of course, the new one was better (and totally -badass-). but I still missed that purple hair.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:18 pm

I think Batman's secret identity is Piccolo.

...What?

Well, who'd you think was Batman?

Superman?!

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:17 am

Remix wrote:No, its the one with Jim Carrey. Batman & Robin isn't even funny...
It is if you're drunk and with a large group of also drunk friends...

Poor Batman Forever. It was actually a half-decent film, I thought. And it made some money without being universally panned (though it certainly had its detractors).

Now, though, it seems everyone just lumps it in with its sequal and closes the book. And they aren't even the same league. Batman Forever may have been a step down in quality from the Burton films, but Batman and Robin is on par with films like Double Dragon, Street Fighter, and the first live0action Guyver/Mutronics.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:20 am

Sooooo about the live action movie, I wonder if Piccolo will have any of his signature KI attacks.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:41 am

Onikage725 wrote:Poor Batman Forever. It was actually a half-decent film, I thought. And it made some money without being universally panned (though it certainly had its detractors).
Chris O'Donnell made "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin" enjoyable for me.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:25 am

Again I say... if there is no desire and/or reason to talk about the upcoming live-action DB movie, this thread really does not serve a purpose, right?

Would it make more sense to lock this and periodically just open very focused new threads about very specific topics relating to the movie? I think we have learned (and have proven) that 50+ page threads quickly serve no constructive purpose.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:27 am

Just a dry spell before the next chunk of news, and we're trying to pass the time, I guess. At least we're not bickering and getting it locked, or anything.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:21 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:Sooooo about the live action movie, I wonder if Piccolo will have any of his signature KI attacks.
I don't remember Daimaou having named attacks though. If he tosses out a makkensapo it wouldn't make any freaking sense o_O I remember Daimaou more simply going along and killing shit with whatever was applicable at the time instead of having specific favorite attacks.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:29 pm

Velasa wrote:I don't remember Daimaou having named attacks though. If he tosses out a makkensapo it wouldn't make any freaking sense o_O I remember Daimaou more simply going along and killing shit with whatever was applicable at the time instead of having specific favorite attacks.
He does have the Bakurikimaha, the attack that the uses to destroy Central City. He doesn't call out its name when he first attacks though, but refers to it by name afterwards, before he fires another one to try and finish Goku off. During his speech to the world, he also refers to an attack called the Bakuretsu-Makoho, which he says is what he'll fire to wipe out each sector of the Earth, but we never actually see it. It's possible that it and the Bakurikimaha are supposed to be one and the same, but Toriyama forgot his original name for it.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:39 pm

Batman Forever may have been a step down in quality from the Burton films, but Batman and Robin is on par with films like Double Dragon, Street Fighter, and the first live0action Guyver/Mutronics.
Hey, I liked Double Dragon! Course, I also liked Street Fighter. XD
If he tosses out a makkensapo it wouldn't make any freaking sense
Well, this Daimaou is a mix of both Piccolo's so it's a possibility that they'll toss it in somewhere. They are trying to 'Z-ify' the movie some. They want to cover the 'origins' of these guys so the crowd isn't totaly lost later but they also want to jump into the Z action. So I wouldn't be surprised if we see one.
During his speech to the world, he also refers to an attack called the Bakuretsu-Makoho,
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I saw a move name along those lines in BT3 but I can't remember which Piccolo or the exact name of the move (or what it did, for that matter :? ).
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:46 pm

I'm gonna see this movie just to see how much of a trainwreck it will be.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:56 pm

Xyex wrote:Well, this Daimaou is a mix of both Piccolo's
Noooooooooooo this causes me pain o_o I'm trying to deny as long as possible that there might be no Piccolo. Because a reformed Daimaou and our normal Piccolo are not really the same thing. Technically? Yes. But personality-wise and other little notes on how he behaves/thinks/feels? No way.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:02 pm

Xyex wrote:Hmm, I'm pretty sure I saw a move name along those lines in BT3 but I can't remember which Piccolo or the exact name of the move (or what it did, for that matter :? ).
Looking it up on Japanese Wikipedia, it seems that it's the technique he used when demonstrating his power to the king. So basically he swings his arms, and a gigantic blast flies out.

Also on Japanese Wikipedia, it seems that Daimao does use the Makankosappo in that Data Carddass game based on the Budokai series. He also uses Piccolo's "nowhere left to run" attack from the fight with No.17, which has been given some fancy kanji name I don't quite remember. So there's already precedent for giving Daimao his son/reincarnation's attacks.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Wasn't that attack called the Gekiretsu Kodan? Or am I thinking of something else?

EDIT: Yup, I sure was. I was thinking of the Renzoku Senkodan.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:22 pm

Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:Wasn't that attack called the Gekiretsu Kodan? Or am I thinking of something else?

EDIT: Yup, I sure was. I was thinking of the Renzoku Senkodan.
In some games it's also called the Makuhoidan/魔空包囲弾, which was the name I was thinking of.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:34 pm

Interesting Fact, I can actually do decent imitations of both Vegeta and Piccolo's Japanese voices, yet I don't really know any Japanese. For a while I just liked yelling Gekirets Koudan!

Yeah, about the movie, I am pretty sure that they are just mixing Daimao and Jr. together, so don't be surprised if we see a "Special Beam Cannon" or "Light of Death"

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Noooooooooooo this causes me pain o_o I'm trying to deny as long as possible that there might be no Piccolo. Because a reformed Daimaou and our normal Piccolo are not really the same thing. Technically? Yes. But personality-wise and other little notes on how he behaves/thinks/feels? No way.
Actually, from what I've seen, it feels more like instead of doing a 'reformed Daimaou' they're just making Piccolo into his father and then reforming him. Which, I suppose, would explain the 'conquer the world' objective, instead of the 'destroy the world' objective.
Looking it up on Japanese Wikipedia, it seems that it's the technique he used when demonstrating his power to the king. So basically he swings his arms, and a gigantic blast flies out.
I just checked BT3 because it was bugging me. I knew I'd seen Bakuretsu-Makoho in that game. That's the name they gave to Piccolo (early)'s rush attack. The one that mimics his assault on Nappa and then saving Gohan from the Saibamen and ends with the mouth blast.
Also on Japanese Wikipedia, it seems that Daimao does use the Makankosappo in that Data Carddass game based on the Budokai series. He also uses Piccolo's "nowhere left to run" attack from the fight with No.17, which has been given some fancy kanji name I don't quite remember. So there's already precedent for giving Daimao his son/reincarnation's attacks.
Not to mention GH B3 which just used him as an alternate skin for Piccolo. The only difference between their moves was that his non-ultimate ki attacks were a purple and black or red or something (can't remember of hand). But otherwise they were all the same and he still had the SBC and Scatter Shot/Hellzone Grenade. (Which is the "nowhere left to run" move you mentioned with the Carddass games.)
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.