What features would make your dream Dragonball game?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

What features would make your dream Dragonball game?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:15 pm

Something I remember about Budôkai 3 as opposed to my current love affair with Sparking METEOR is how different the character selection is set up. With Sparking METEOR you have seperate characters for different timelines which--while it can sometimes be puzzling--is probably my biggest plus about the Sparking series as opposed to B3's use of allowing--say--Saiyan Saga armor/scouter Vegeta with his Super Saiyan or BB/FF/FS techniques, even though it can sometimes be interesting. This also comes into play when--using Vegeta once more as an example--the character's have different pools of techniques to choose from, espicially Vegeta in the Sparking series. I suppose that is why makes the capsule system in the Budôkai series works to one's advantage but in the end it becomes a pain to collect them and switch equiptions. Had I a choice in the manner I think I could live with unlocking new techniques through training--ala Pokémon--but then if one wants to bust out into a straight on showdown with all abilities unlocked in a battle with a friend it'd make things a little troublesome. The Sparking METEOR way of doing things works for me in Duel mode with the multiple choices between which time period you use a character.

Now I'm confused. Who knows, maybe I'll get some inspiration from what you guys think up.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Gabool The Wild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gabool The Wild » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:28 pm

I've always wanted a character customization, but I suppose that is what DragonBall Online will be for.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:34 pm

My dream Dragonball game will never be made for one very simple and ovbious reason.

It ONLY appeals to ME.

My dream game would be either a third person action or first person game, putting you in an unconventional role.

Frieza being the most conventional of my choices, though in that case I'd want to have economy sim and strategy elements along with the third-person action and Role-Playing elements, to truly simulate what it means to grow up being Frieza.

A Saiya-jin and Tsfuru-jin squad combat simulator.

A game that has you traveling as Trunks to vastly different timelines, helping out the good guys in each timeline, especially including a timeline in which Goku had never bumped his head.

An Oolong stealth game, taking advantage of the five minute time limit as a gameplay mechanic.

Hm.

That's all I can think of right now.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:43 pm

My dream Dragonball game would be Super DBZ 2. Tweak the characters from before, throw in some more characters, throw in a secret boss, and something resembling a "story mode" that doesn't necessarily follow the story of the series and I've got myself a really good game to play!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:15 pm

An RPG, a remade, expanded version of the Super Famicom's Sūpā Saiya Densetsu (Legend of the Super Saiyan). I love that game to death, man.

If it had to be a fighting game, I'd want one with a story mode that would actually make sense to a non-regular viewer/reader of the series. They leave out big chunks of plot and while I understand why, it still annoys me.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:21 pm

Kendamu wrote:My dream Dragonball game would be Super DBZ 2. Tweak the characters from before, throw in some more characters, throw in a secret boss, and something resembling a "story mode" that doesn't necessarily follow the story of the series and I've got myself a really good game to play!
Ditto.

Either that or a turn based RPG series going through the entire storyline of the series, similar in scope to Final Fantasy.

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:26 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
Kendamu wrote:My dream Dragonball game would be Super DBZ 2. Tweak the characters from before, throw in some more characters, throw in a secret boss, and something resembling a "story mode" that doesn't necessarily follow the story of the series and I've got myself a really good game to play!
Ditto.

Either that or a turn based RPG series going through the entire storyline of the series, similar in scope to Final Fantasy.
Same here, it'd be awesome if Level 5 developed a game like that, they made the best AT-style game models ever(Dragon Quest 8's models are some examples).

dragonballzgtfighter
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballzgtfighter » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:33 pm

Great thread idea JulieYBM, I was going to make a similar thread.

I would take the best features from all the past games and improve upon them.

It would have to contain all characters, clothing, moves, stages and music from DBZGT.

Story mode would have to contain cut scenes.
http://dragonballzgt.smfforfree3.com/index.php Join us! And take a step in making the fan's Dragonball Z game!

Our Trailer http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxuKNAJxOM

Characters that must appear in the ultimate DBZGT game http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=dragonballzgtfighter

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:29 am

(Wait, didn't Toriyama work on the designs for DragonQuest?)

We-ell...
I kinda like the gameplay of sagas, actually. Improve it, be more creative with what's actually in the game...

... I really don't like how every adventure/RPG game ever seems to put the Saibaimen as generic baddies when there were only six in the whole series. :mad:. (I think Legacy of Goku got around that, and I wouldn't know about the NES games... ).
Meh, at some point I tried going over a roster for a game that focuses on the Alien Empire arc (which is so utterly skimmed through in games, it seems; Super Saiya Densetsu being the obvious exception), and it seems like such a game would pretty much be obligated to include the 23rd tournament, which is kinda hard to do without Daimao, which is hard to do without the 22nd tournament...
But yeah. I like the huge opportunities that are left open by Freeza (and to some extent Buu), and I'd not mind something that could capitalize on that while still giving us the Martial Arts epic feel that the story had, particularly in the 21st tournament through Freeza.
Sagas, for all its screwups, tried to be creative, there... though I dare say they didn't try hard enough.
A couple years ago I started trying to make something that could cover as much of the series as possible; at this point, I've pretty much conceded that my utter incompotence with finishing things and my inability to test and obtain graphics alone cans any quality stuff I could throw together unaided... And it seems that all the games that... ur... actually do anything different are for handhelds. :(. (If only that meant the Nomad... which I guess would mean the Genesis... which I guess would mean megadrive...).

I still wouldn't mind seeing that huge-assed RPG I've got pages upon pages of notes for, although I'm farely certain it'd be hell for me to do anything with. :(.

I'd not mind something a little smaller, though; for instance, something sorta revisioning sagas, but with more attention to what's actually in the series (And preferably not throwing in the humans as an after thought; the latest Manga Review of Awesomeness totally has me wanting to see a game that makes it possible to get closer to the Vegeta fight, and the way the Sparking! team system works doesn't cut it. And Sagas basically left that fight as a duel. :(. ).

I'd not mind more attention to how training works in the series. This would be pretty obvious to an RPG/adventure game that isn't focused on quests of destruction (Sagas really didn't leave room for this, so we were left with the Z-store... :mad: ). DB has a wealth of Martial arts masters and training styles (the laborious stuff that Goku and Kuririn did under Kamesen'nin, the extreme self-risking techniques of Tsurusen'nin, Karin and his "Read my breath" stuff... Popo and Kami, Kaiosama... they all work differently. We don't really get more of this since all the masters kinda fall away, but we do get the RoSat and gravity training, and there's something to be said about Dai Kaio and Kaioshin, even though things aren't as martial artsy as with earlier masters).

Actually. It wasn't until getting my first DBZ game (Butoden 3?) that I realized how much the series lent itself to a fighting game franchise. Something I've done pretty much since I was five is to occasionally make ... hmm... paper diagram thingies for various games that run through my head. Around the time I was fed a lot of misinformation involving what followed the Freeza saga, I made one of these for DBZ (I transcribed it over the summer to have the ridiculousness handy, but somehow I don't seem to have it here...). Wacky messed up plot aside, I treated it as an epic adventure thingy (despite it mostly degrading into DB hunts and bossfights).
It's a fighting series, sure. But there's a lot more to it than constant battles, especially once we get into Z. The Namek and Cell arcs in particular are loaded with moving around and trying to avoid death/play ninja. I can't imagine I could play anything that does a good job at capturing that... :cry:, but yeesh, someone should try it!
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:33 am

caejones wrote:(Wait, didn't Toriyama work on the designs for DragonQuest?)
Yes. My favorite design of his is DQ8's hero although I like how unique he made DQ4's hero look, his hairstyle is something you wouldn't expect for the average AT-style young-lead design. The new DQ9's main character's design looks unique too, his hair is spikey but it's formed in a haircut that's roundish, think Light Yagami from Death Note, it's similar to that.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:12 am

I want EVERY character (yes, BT3 didnt have them all, you BT3 haters) and better cutscenes (not that Burst Limit crap where they showed the same motions with different characters)
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:13 am

caejones wrote: ... I really don't like how every adventure/RPG game ever seems to put the Saibaimen as generic baddies when there were only six in the whole series. :mad:. (I think Legacy of Goku got around that, and I wouldn't know about the NES games... ).
Legacy of Goku "got around" that by having Saiyan Saga Goku killed by WOLVES.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:14 am

Sprite Satan wrote:An RPG, a remade, expanded version of the Super Famicom's Sūpā Saiya Densetsu (Legend of the Super Saiyan). I love that game to death, man.
I'm going to have to second that one. Legend of the Super Saiyan is awesome.
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:14 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
caejones wrote: ... I really don't like how every adventure/RPG game ever seems to put the Saibaimen as generic baddies when there were only six in the whole series. :mad:. (I think Legacy of Goku got around that, and I wouldn't know about the NES games... ).
Legacy of Goku "got around" that by having Saiyan Saga Goku killed by WOLVES.
And the big ass T-rex lol

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:28 am

That's the problem with adventure-style DB games, though. Aside from the Saibamen and Freeza's goons, there are no enemies that would be good fodder. Wildlife should go down in a single punch and give no experience (except to Kid Gohan during his training) if you're rolling with accuracy to the series.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:33 am

What we need is a Dragon Ball point and click adventure game.

I don't know how that would work at all. But somebody should figure that one out.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:20 pm

my dream dbz game from another thread =
SSJmole wrote:See this is the type of thing I'm pushing for (more of the oblivion type rpg), Sorry for spelling mistakes and any errors but this was for fun and I used paint as I don't have photoshop.

Also thank you to this site for the pictures that I used to do this. And sorry for size but it's so you can read writing

or A just dbz Smash bros game

dream features in a dbz game = create a character , Fuse any character to create new ones

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:38 pm

...you don't want an "Oblivion"-style RPG, according to the back of that box.

I'm sorry, but as a person who considers Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind to be the greatest game EVER made, your "game" would only bear the slightest resemblance to Oblivion's main story, with perhaps the character customization of Oblivion.

What makes Oblivion, and its(in my opinion) superior sequel so GREAT isn't any of the stuff listed, and it doesn't(and could never) work with a multiplayer element. Online or off.

Also, since you say "online multiplayer" on the blurb, you have your icons wrong. The green "players 1-4" icon means local multiplayer, an ORANGE icon is used for Online multiplayer.

Further, as much as I love the Elder Scrolls as a series, its style of gameplay doesn't fit something like Dragon Ball. The fact is, the whole of the Elder Scrolls series is attached to and centers around the lore. Whether or not you decide to read all of the in-game books(and if you don't, you REALLY are doing yourself a disservice), the fact remains that the most important reward for continuing along quest lines are learning more of the world's lore and giving you a wider range of tools with which to make your choices.

Dragon Ball..doesn't have much in terms of lore, nor much to make ambiguous in terms of what little "lore" it has. The ambiguity of the lore, the fact that things stated as absolutes can be refuted in another book or the events of another game....is a huge part of what makes the lore of Elder Scrolls so fascinating....and what makes it such a terrible fit for Dragon Ball.

Could you play through a Dragon Ball game as a thief? As a merchant? Assassin? A mage? A mage that obtains his store of casting magic chiefly through absorbing the magical attacks of his foes?

There are a hundred more possibilities in an Elder Scrolls game. Dragon Ball can be shoehorned into so very few of them, and these are INTEGRAL to the very NATURE of an Elder Scrolls-type game, that the prospect of a Dragon Ball version of my favorite game makes my eyes bleed from the THOUGHT of seeing what would result.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:45 pm

Have you guys played "Spider-Man the Movie" for the PS2/GC/Xbox? That's the kind of game I'd like to see - a third-person action game that mixes exploration of enemy-filled quarters (Red Ribbon headquarters) with stealth gameplay (Kuririn and Gohan on Nameck), chase scenes (track an escaping Gero), large-scale boss battles (you name one), timed events (reach the Dragonballs before the Ginyu Tokusentai)...

Add in new scenes like survival battles (survive against Nappa until Goku arrives with the ability to switch fighters at will, as the others are AI-controlled).

A game like this, covering the entire series over a good 50 levels or so would truly be amazing.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:56 pm

Also, since you say "online multiplayer" on the blurb, you have your icons wrong. The green "players 1-4" icon means local multiplayer, an ORANGE icon is used for Online multiplayer.
First that's nitpicking, It was done for a) fun and b) to give an idea.

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Could you play through a Dragon Ball game as a thief? As a merchant? Assassin? A mage? A mage that obtains his store of casting magic chiefly through absorbing the magical attacks of his foes?
Actually you could. Yamcha was a Bandit , Fortuneteller Baba and Babidi both did magic like witch/wizard type.

So you could have :

Bandits
Magic users
Human
Saiyan
Android
Dragon
Majin (since it's a race in dragonball online)
Namekian
Shape-shifter (like oolong)
As well as those you have the animal looking people

-

Jobs in dragonball

Fighter
Warrior
Theif
Cop
technician
and so much more.

Eventually your looking at Dragonball Online with a few extra features but an off-line version , I like you like the Elder Scrolls games but they are basically offline versions of MMORPGs. So yeah it would be diffrent Oblivion but when I say Oblivion style I mean the never ending rpg style that only really ends if you complete the main quest.

An original story line by Akira Toriyama + open ended + rpg + online for a few things = a great dragonball z that makes a change to fighting game.

The online part I thought would work =

a few extra quests
a Vs mode to put your created character online for some pvp battles

it could work