Fighting System for a table-top RPG

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Fighting System for a table-top RPG

Post by Dayspring » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:00 am

Hey guys. I'm trying to organize a table-top RPG and was wondering what stats should be used. I want there to be a lot of stats used in order to make people focus on skill development instead of PL increases only, but don't know where to start. AT ALL.

Here's what I've got:

HP: Typical RPG health point stats. Death or unconsciousness occurs when HP = 0.

Ki: The RP's equivalent of MP. Used for making Ki attacks.

Combat: The RP's equivalent of (physical) ATK and DEF.

PL: Combat + Ki.

Body: As this skill increases, players will be able to train under higher gravities, reach certain transformation requirements, and obtain more experience from self-training.

Speed: How fast you are, your ability to dodge attacks.

Accuracy: Your ability to search for and find things. Also used in calculating how much of an attack hits your opponent (Your Acc - opponent's Speed = modifyer on your attack's strength).

Mind: Your mental discipline. Your ability to control your emotions, suppress your PL, learn and develop new techniques.

Non-Combattant Stats:
Non-combattants don't have a Combat Skill, which is why their PLs are significantly lower than warriors; it's simply their Ki skill. Instead of Combat, they have one of the following depending on their class.

Magic: Abilities that only magic wielders (Dragon Clan Nameks, Wizards, etc) can use.

Tech: Technological savvy. This ability allows the user to create complex items.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:22 am

desirecampbell has been working on that sort of thing for awhile now, but I guess he's given up. I've been trying to come up with something myself, but so far my system isn't very good for a table top RPG, more like a fan-made computer RPG.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:36 am

Try looking into the SAGA rule system, which was used for a Marvel tabletop RPG. It's simple and fast paced, which might fit Dragon Ball well. Also, like GURPS, it doesn't limit the type of character you can create. Martial artist, spiritually, sorcerer, it can handle pretty much anything (as you can imagine since Marvel has pretty much everything).

Originally it used a special deck of cards instead of dice, but me and my friends found that merging it with the Storytelling rule system from White Wolf worked pretty well (replacing the card modifiers with d10 rolls decided by the number in the stat). This also had the advantage that characters could develop ridiculously high stats without dice rolls becoming totally meaningless; extreme example, 100 stat + 1 dice roll doesn't make much of a difference, but rolling 100 d10s can produce more dynamic results.

Our stats never got that out of control, but I still ended up writing a dice rolling program to make things easier.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:32 pm

OMFG! I make table top rpgs and I have found DB to be very hard to do well. Lets us know what you come up with. In the mean time I am going to continue to make a good DB system.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:36 pm

Yeah, I think SAGA would work well, though I'd stick with the cards.

The fun part was how all the cards had characters on them, and if you wanted, you could see if the GM would let you use a card as a "guest appearance" for a character to help you out. That would be fun for Dragonball...
Trunks & Goten forever

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:25 pm

Maybe you should do some examples of how canon characters would be sorted out in your system.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:29 pm

In regards to story, I think my RPG is going to be set in an alternate reality, one in which the Saiyans conquered Earth, but instead of selling it off, decide to keep it as part of their empire because there's a lot they can't replicate/assimilate (senzus, DBs, capsle tech). Since Earth is in the Northern Galaxy (Planet Vegeta is at the Southern side of the Eastern Galaxy), it's too far to leave unattended, so low level Saiyans (seeing how humans are weak) are sent there to serve as part of the occupation force. Meanwhile Namek is an independent planet, which is either being invaded (with much difficulty) by the Elite Saiyans, Freeza's army, or both, for their DBs.

Another thing I'm considering is that it's a distant sequel to DB that uses the OVA's Saiyan/Tsuful origin. When the remnants of Freeza's empire invaded the original Saiyan homeworld, they assimilated the Saiyans into the army. Thus there are three major powers: Earth, New Namek, and Freeza's army (which consists of numerous aliens as well as Saiyans).
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:42 pm

I think I'll treat this as a distant sequel, after all, only I'll set it completely on Earth (with the possibility for characters to venture into space in the future). Freeza's Empire at this point would belong to an old Kuriiza (Freeza's son, doncha know!). Dende would be Kami-old, so all those who can defend against the invasion are dead. To explain the presence of Nameks, Dende tried giving birth to some in the hopes that a warrior class could arise one day. To explain Saiyans, the Saiyans in DB are descended from Saiyans who crashlanded on Planet Plant, while the Saiyans in the RPG are from the Saiyan Homeworld who were eventually assimilated into Kuriiza's Army.

Races:
Humans
Nameks
Saiyans
Zarbon's race
Freeza's race
Generic/Original Alien (Apuule, etc)
Neko Majins (Mages, only)
Generic Demons (Original Warriors and Mages)

Classes:
Warrior
Scientist
Mage