The Truth about Dragonball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:53 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:Except for the fact that Super Sonic is a gigantic rip off of Super Sayajin.
Not so much a "rip-off" as an "homage."
*imagines Gohan going SSJ2 against Cell to "Open Your Heart" from Sonic Adventure

-Corey

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:12 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:Except for the fact that Super Sonic is a gigantic rip off of Super Sayajin.
Not so much a "rip-off" as an "homage."
*imagines Gohan going SSJ2 against Cell to "Open Your Heart" from Sonic Adventure

-Corey
I totally demand an AMV of that. Too bad I'm not so wonderful at doing it myself.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:23 am

Keep your pants on, and watch the FanWorks board in a couple months...

:P
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:06 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:*imagines Gohan going SSJ2 against Cell to "Open Your Heart" from Sonic Adventure

-Corey
I totally demand an AMV of that. Too bad I'm not so wonderful at doing it myself.
Easy. Give me a day or two ;p

-Corey

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:37 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:*imagines Gohan going SSJ2 against Cell to "Open Your Heart" from Sonic Adventure

-Corey
Easy. Give me a day or two ;p

-Corey
I officially declare a race.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:42 pm

Deep Thought wrote:Sorry, but it's one or none for me. Either make it mainstream or make it exclusive. Don't beat around the bush, i dislike people who do that.
It is exclusive, only the ones that don't suck can go SSJ4. :P

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Re: The Truth about Dragonball GT

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:20 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Saiyajin no Tatsujin wrote:That's very interesting. It would've been pretty cool to have seen Gohan's SSJ4 design go into action.
Oh Jesus, the drawing was cool
That's why I would've liked to have seen SSJ4 Gohan. He looked much cooler than Goku as a SSJ4, in my opinion.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:58 pm

SSJ4 Gohan would have made so little sense for the reasons already stated. But yeah, okay: If we want to make this into a Cool Contest, we can.

ZOMG SSJ4 GOGETTO!!

~Da Lemmy

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:01 pm

Well, Gohan was technically the hero of the series, or suppose to be, from the Cell Games onward. To 'retcon' all of that promise away seems a little crappy.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Actually at a roundtable conference in April 1997, Toriyama conveyed to long-time friend and series Director Nakayama that he was unsure of the direction the series was taking despite having provided support and designs at the start of the series.

Source: FujiTV "News 11" Broadcast on 05/06/97

Wow that sounds professional. Too bad it's bullshit I just made up off the top of my head.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:24 pm

I really dont' get where people talk about Goten being "wasted" iN GT. What's to waste? He was a clone of his father back in the Buu Saga and a prominent figure in the Fusion Saga. He didn't have anywhere else to go as he had outlived his usefulness once he grew too old to be mini-Goku.

Pan had wasted potential. I still love her to death but there's more they could have done with her.

I liked GT and the dub that really, I like almost anything. I would watch the Japanese version but I don't speak the language and I can't read subs due to poor eyesight. So I stick with the dub and I enjoyed it but man oh man were there times the lines were just delivered bad.
But what are you gonna do.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:58 am

Nikkolas wrote:Goten = mini-Goku
FOR SHAME!!

Stop, shut up and turn around. Look at your TV. Pop in one of your DragonBall Z DVDs, sit down and observe the child with a serious, studious eye. Then flash forward to the end of the series and watch him again as a teenager.

Yeah, there's a strong, striking resemblance to certain people all about him-- no question of that. Hell, on a superficial level? Toriyama-sama intentionally designed him to be that way. But on a core level, he's neither Goku NOR Gohan-- he's Son Goten, complete with his own personality, his own strengths, his own weaknesses and everything else it takes to be different.

He's got enough common sense where he ain't the absolute brick that Goku is, but he doesn't got the smarts to keep up with Gohan on an educational level. He's too shy to be outgoing in an "Ora Son Goku!!"-kinda way but at the same time too not to become the bookish loner that Gohan did. He's not as much of a reluctant hero as his brother, but he's also nowhere near as gung-ho about fighting the way his Saiyan of a father tends to be. He'll fight to protect his family and friends the way his brother does. He'll fight with a kind, pure (and often times too trusting) heart the way his father does. He'll do a lot of things that remind you of one, the other or even both of them, because in the end there's just no escaping being a Son.

BUT . . .

When it comes right down to it, he'll follow his own path-- not as Goku's son, or as Gohan's brother, but as Son Goten. And if you watch him very carefully as that last third of the series unfolds, you'll definitely be able to see it.

"Mini-Goku", my ass. Hmph!

. . .

GT? What about GT? :shock:

Hell, everything I just detailed about Goten above stands as proof that he could'a been a unique and useful character in GT.

Wasted potential, indeed.

GOTEN POWAAAAAAAH~!!

*cough*

Ahem. Carry on.

~Da Lemmy

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:25 am

Huh.
I guess I lose.
Well, to be honest, I just didn't like him or Kid Trunks so maybe I didn't give them a fair analysis.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:32 am

I for one would take Son Goten and Present Kid Trunks over those GT geeks. 8)
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:23 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:GOTEN POWAAAAAAAH~!!
Wow. There's really no response to that....except this.

In all honesty, I would've enjoyed GT a lot more if the half-breeds were a larger role (Crowd: "OMG", yeah, screw y'all), led by Vegeta. When Goku was wished to be a kid again, that should've been the great equalizer, like so:

1. Vegeta at SSj2 (stronger than Kid Buu was, but has hit the limits of the SSj2 form and can't push into SSJ3 on Earth)
2. Uub (near Kid Buu's strength, but doesn't have the crazy or regeneration to make full use of it)
3. Gohan at SSj2 ('Mystic' still available, but dormant from disuse; Gohan has to actually concentrate on going Mystic, while Super comes naturally from his time as FPSSJ)
4. Mr. Buu
5. (Tie) Goten and Trunks at SSJ. (Been a long time since Fusion, and they're lazy half-bloods)
6. Goku. (Can go SSJ, but even that overloads his child body.)
7. Pan. (Fairly close to Goku, but his experience/other techniques push him ahead.)

Goku has to re-unlock his power, as his DB-age body just can't handle it.

Actually, screw writing the rest of this here, I'm gonna do my own GT rewrite.

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:35 pm

Rocketman wrote:Goku has to re-unlock his power, as his DB-age body just can't handle it.
A la Suppa Saiyajin shi!
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The Truth about Dragonball GT

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:40 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Saiyajin no Tatsujin wrote:That's very interesting. It would've been pretty cool to have seen Gohan's SSJ4 design go into action.
Oh Jesus, the drawing was cool, but if Gohan actually went SSJ4 I'd die. Talk about pissing on the "Mystic" powerup.

It'd be much better to see Teen Gotenks. Teen Gotenks, to me, could have salvaged GT as a whole ;p

-Corey
Ahmen to that one!
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:00 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:GOTEN POWAAAAAAAH~!!
Wow. There's really no response to that....except this.

<snip>
You're a douche, but that's okay-- we love you, anyway. :razz:

Well . . . everybody except Goten, that is. Goten hates you. Really hates you.
Rocketman wrote:In all honesty, I would've enjoyed GT a lot more if the half-breeds were a larger role (Crowd: "OMG", yeah, screw y'all), led by Vegeta. When Goku was wished to be a kid again, that should've been the great equalizer, like so:

1. Vegeta at SSj2 (stronger than Kid Buu was, but has hit the limits of the SSj2 form and can't push into SSJ3 on Earth)
2. Uub (near Kid Buu's strength, but doesn't have the crazy or regeneration to make full use of it)
3. Gohan at SSj2 ('Mystic' still available, but dormant from disuse; Gohan has to actually concentrate on going Mystic, while Super comes naturally from his time as FPSSJ)
4. Mr. Buu
5. (Tie) Goten and Trunks at SSJ. (Been a long time since Fusion, and they're lazy half-bloods)
6. Goku. (Can go SSJ, but even that overloads his child body.)
7. Pan. (Fairly close to Goku, but his experience/other techniques push him ahead.)

Goku has to re-unlock his power, as his DB-age body just can't handle it.
I actually agree with everything presented here, although with one minor alteration-- I don't see why Super Saiyan would be a strain on Goku's child form when A) he's trained with that form the most out of anyone anywhere ever to the point where he should be able to handle it with ease no matter what his "age" and B) Goten and Trunks as children never appeared to have any issues with the form whatsoever.

Vegeta as a "leader of the pack" works exceptionally well in my mind, and it would be about time that he got some spotlight where he wasn't continually getting his ass kicked by a bad guy or shown up by Goku.
Rocketman wrote:Actually, screw writing the rest of this here, I'm gonna do my own GT rewrite.
. . .

When? :shock:

~Da Lemmy
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zenkai Power
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai Power » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:05 pm

I could post a whole paragraph or two on this... but I'm just gonna say...

GT got a lot wrong. They focused on the wrong things. The stories were not fleshed out enough to make what was happening mean something... and they definitely should have given Uub and Goten something important to do.

I don't much like GT.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:20 pm

Zenkai Power wrote:GT got a lot wrong. They focused on the wrong things. The stories were not fleshed out enough to make what was happening mean something... and they definitely should have given Uub and Goten something important to do.
I actually like GT on some level. But at the same time, I despise it utterly for what it did to Goten in terms of character content. Make him relatively useless as a fighter if it'd be a story redundancy to do otherwise, sure, but when you give him a cell phone, pair him with some bimbo and start rewriting his core personality . . . well, guess that's when I get kinda I get pissed.

~Da Lemmy