Dubbing in voices that don't speak

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Dubbing in voices that don't speak

Post by SaiyaMel » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:49 pm

Why does Funi and other dubbing companies, dub in voices that have dialog? I understand why new background music is added,, but with the non-speaking voices - I don't understand the point of that... and the voices dubbed in end up sounding more phony than in the original. To me in those cases - they're better off left as they are..

For example, the crying of baby Kakkarot and baby Trunks, are both done by Stephony Nadalny. Like I said in another thread,, Masako Nozawa is loads better at imitating a realistic baby cry...

Also, in the dubbed Bardock special, the oozarus' roars were dubbed in... what the hell? They sounded just fine in the original. As is said - if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

At least from what I remember - Bubbles' original monkey hooting is retained.
Just Saiyan...

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:53 pm

Maybe I'm wrong but if you use someone else's voice in your dub don't you have to pay them? Don't they also have to agree to be in your dub? Instead of going through all that shit I think they just went the easy route and did their own version of *insert noise making creature here*.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:58 pm

The big monkey's roars are HORRIBLE. They clearly sound like a guy, not a 100 foot beast.

They should have just sampled a lion, or a tiger, or a bear. (Resisting urge to say "oh-my")

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:07 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:Maybe I'm wrong but if you use someone else's voice in your dub don't you have to pay them? Don't they also have to agree to be in your dub? Instead of going through all that shit I think they just went the easy route and did their own version of *insert noise making creature here*.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking myself.

@Innagadadavida:
They certainly sound gay in the dub. I noticed that when I watched the new digitally remastered Bardock special in English on Youtube.
Just Saiyan...

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:13 pm

It bothers me more when they add dialog where there was no dialog before. Like Gohan monologueing in his head before going SSJ2. They seem to have something against silent scenes.

Ghibli's Kiki's Delivery Service is especially guilty of this. Half the dialog in the dub wasn't in the original. It's like, "Hey, no one's saying anything during this establishing shot. Let's add some dialog."

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:17 pm

Why would you want an accurate baby cry? Nuclear explosions are easier on the ears than babies.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:34 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:lion, or a tiger, or a bear
Oh my!
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:07 pm

Maybe because FUNi saw it as too much work to edit out little pieces of the original audio and sync it up with the new dub track.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:47 pm

They don't want to pay the Japanese actors for appearing in their dubs.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:54 pm

I don't see whats so bad about Naldony's baby Trunks and Goku, or any of the Oozaru sounds. They sound decent to me.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:22 pm

With animals it can depend. No one complained about Ryo-Ohki being dubbed. Similar to Totoro in the new dub. Hear people talk about the people, but not Totoro being dubbed in the new one.

Horgus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Horgus » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:40 pm

It's really at a point to where I cannot even watch the dubs anymore. The difference in quality is just so noticeable that it's like watching an entirely different show.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:45 pm

I don't even notice things like this, to me a baby crying is a baby crying.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:28 am

In One Piece during the Jaya arc, there is a scene where seagulls are flying by. During this scene, one can easily tell that these are a person making the cries for them. This was the Japanese version.

Along comes FUNi and they caught a few attentive people off guard by using ACTUAL seagull cries in the dub.

Sometimes, it's not always so bad.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:02 am

Perhaps it has something to do with it being easier to replace the whole voice track rather than keeping certain bits in? I remember that in Serial Experiments Lain, the incomprehensible voices over the telephone lines were dubbed, which I always wondered about. So it's not just a Funi thing (incidentally, does anyone know if Ein was dubbed in Cowboy Bebop?).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:28 am

I think it has more to do with whether or not the voice is actually a person or not. I think Ein was comprised of sounds from a real Welsh Corgi, hence, he wouldn't have to be dubbed over. Although, if it's just grunting and/or animal sounds from a human, more than likely, the character will be dubbed over.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:01 am

Herms wrote:Perhaps it has something to do with it being easier to replace the whole voice track rather than keeping certain bits in? I remember that in Serial Experiments Lain, the incomprehensible voices over the telephone lines were dubbed, which I always wondered about. So it's not just a Funi thing (incidentally, does anyone know if Ein was dubbed in Cowboy Bebop?).
I was going to mention something like this, but I realized I didn't know enough about it to talk like I knew what I was talking about. I seem to remember something about how in older dubs it was sometimes difficult to replace selective parts of the sound track since the sound came as one big track. In cases like this they'd have to redo sound effects if they couldn't get hold of the original.

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:35 pm

I hope I'm not being too off topic here, but the thread title had me thinking of something a little different.

I've always found it annoying how FUNi added extra dialogue to a character when the camera wasn't facing them. Like, in moments where there was silence in the Japanese version, they threw in a few lines in the dub for whatever reason.

Why do you guys think they had to add in that extra dialogue?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Herms wrote:Perhaps it has something to do with it being easier to replace the whole voice track rather than keeping certain bits in? I remember that in Serial Experiments Lain, the incomprehensible voices over the telephone lines were dubbed, which I always wondered about. So it's not just a Funi thing (incidentally, does anyone know if Ein was dubbed in Cowboy Bebop?).
I always assumed this was the reason. Those voice samples are not on their own individual tracks; they're mixed in with the general voice track for the entire episode/movie/etc. They can't just be pulled out on an individual basis, so if you replace one voice, you have to replace every single "voice".
Saiyajin no Tatsujin wrote:Why do you guys think they had to add in that extra dialogue?
Whole entire monster of a separate conversation :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:40 pm

Yeah, my bad. I was just on another train of thought. lol

They probably added in those extra lines so it would be easier for us dumb American kids to understand what the hell was going on. Or, to make some of the characters, especially Goku, sound like they were smarter than they really were. :P