Episode #0152 (23 November 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0152 (23 November 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:21 pm

Episode #0152 (download MP3) (rss feed)
75:16; 64 kbps, mono; 34.4 MB

Episode #0152! VegettoEX, Meri, Julian, and Jeff get through volume 21 in our "Manga Review of Awesomeness". We have taken off into space, and the universe has expanded for our heroes. We are getting tons of new information, but is the story taking a hit in the process? Fun bits of news, DBZ ABCs, some releases, and great e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the rather sweet *one-hundred-fifty-two* episodes, now.

Like I said on the home page, I won't blame you if you're too busy watching the new special on the Jumpland site :P. We'll be here for you whenever you're ready, though...!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:23 pm

OMGWTFBBQAPURUGASU!!

*downloads* :D
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:26 pm

Ah man, I always wait with held breath for these.

At this rate you may need to do an emergency podcast for the new special and get it up ASAP as opposed to next Sunday. :lol:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:29 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Ah man, I always wait with held breath for these.

At this rate you may need to do an emergency podcast for the new special and get it up ASAP as opposed to next Sunday. :lol:
I was thinking about it, but I dunno if we'll have the time. I've got episode five of vgconvos to edit, episode two of WTF EX to edit, Thanksgiving on Thursday, friends' wedding on Friday...

Whenever the next episode is, we'll be talking about it, and we'll try to have awesome people around to help talk about it :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:31 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Whenever the next episode is, we'll be talking about it, and we'll try to have awesome people around to help talk about it :P.
Well, then, if we're talking about awesome people, I'm obviously a necessity for next episode. 8)

Anyway, I'm liking it so far. Awesome, as always.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:32 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Ah man, I always wait with held breath for these.

I was thinking about it, but I dunno if we'll have the time. I've got episode five of vgconvos to edit, episode two of WTF EX to edit, Thanksgiving on Thursday, friends' wedding on Friday...

Whenever the next episode is, we'll be talking about it, and we'll try to have awesome people around to help talk about it :P.
Can one podcast handle so much awesome?

I suspect the Herms, Hujio, and the Desire...Campbell (oh the terrible puns).
She/Her
bisexual milf

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:47 pm

:o A follow-up answer to my email about Vegeta Jr.? Awesome! I'm glad I can stop calling him un-named Vegeta family member. (Not that I ever called him that, but hypothetically I would have called him something like that)
­

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:16 pm

That Kaiô comment was something I remember picking up on when I reread the series a few months ago. I thought it was pretty awesome, so I agree with you guys there.
She/Her
bisexual milf

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:41 pm

Ooh. Nice podcast :D. I read along with the manga. (I'm such a nerd ^_-)

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:44 pm

I don't know, like, ANYTHING about Japanese voices, but I think they did an okay job with the FUNimation voice for King Kai.

Also, I didn't like how the manga referred to Kami not being able to find FOOD since he doesn't eat and the fact he doesn't know he doesn't have 'parents' as he was puked out as an egg.

midoco13

Post by midoco13 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:55 pm

I have to agree with Jeff, this was not the best volume mainly due to the si-fi aspect of it

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:58 pm

I submitted my Appulagus fanart! :D

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:07 pm

On Kuririn’s assumption that there are dragonballs on Planet Namek: Vegeta and Nappa actually mentioned that there were rumors of wish-granting balls on Planet Namek, back when they were talking about Piccolo being Namekian.

I don’t really understand why you all hate Kami…but I do agree with your love of Kaio.

On when Toriyama first came up with the Namekian thing, he touches on that in his Daizenshuu 4 interview:
Q: Speaking of Piccolo, did you think from the beginning of his background as a Namekian alien?
A: Of course, I didn't think that at all (laughs). The Saiya-jin were like that as well. When I thought up Goku's tail and the Oozaru, I didn't think Goku was an alien or anything. Piccolo either. Because I thought that up when Kami-sama came out.

Mostly afterwards, I thought it through so that it would be consistent. For example, there's the chair that Planet Namek's Saichourou sat in. That was mostly the same as the chair that Piccolo Daimao had sat in when he first appeared. It was just missing the skulls.

Q: I see! Come to think of it, it did have the same shape.
A: I thought since Piccolo Daimao surely still had some memories of when he was on Planet Namek, wouldn't he make that kind of chair? So I thought up the shapes of Planet Namek's buildings and spaceships using the design of Piccolo Daimao's chair. When they went to Planet Namek, I was told that you'd fail if you went into space in a shounen manga. So when thinking up the background for Planet Namek, I tried to make it precisely consistent.
Paragus actually also turns up in DBZ movie 12 as one of Freeza's undead mooks, for like one second.

God, it's been so long since I've heard Spirit vs. Spirit.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:56 pm

Herms wrote:Paragus actually also turns up in DBZ movie 12 as one of Freeza's undead mooks, for like one second.
Literally "Dead in Two Movies" :D

Great Podcast as always. I think you guys were right about the dub ruining Kaio-sama. Even now when I watch him in the Japanese version, I can't really take him seriously because I was so used to the dub in which his voice was always nasally and a bit annoying. Even in the dub when he was talking about somthing serious, he still sounded like a goof ball. Now I'm off to read volume 5.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

nimerjm

Post by nimerjm » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:30 am

Hey guys!

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I'm hoping someone here has an answer to my extremely pressing question:

How can I watch the new special on a Mac?

Thanks a ton guys!
DBZ tattoo sleeve finally finished at the 85 hour mark. Pic: http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/nimerjm/JasonTattoo1.jpg

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:38 am

nimerjm wrote:Hey guys!

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I'm hoping someone here has an answer to my extremely pressing question:

How can I watch the new special on a Mac?

Thanks a ton guys!
Answer: you can't.

You'll need to download it or stream it from some other site. Check out the thread in the "general discussion" forum.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:54 am

Kanzentai's got it streaming!

オッス!帰ってきた孫悟空と仲間たち!!
Ossu! Kaette Kita Son Gokuu to Nakama-tachi!!
Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!!

And please don't ask them for a copy. Thanks Hujio!
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:04 am

Great podcast as usual guys. :D

I want to bring up something in the Review of Awesomeness. You all wondered how Kuririn could come to the conclusion that the Dragonballs are on Namek as well. I thought that Vegeta and Nappa say out loud that they will go to Namek and get their dragonballs, since they find out Piccolo/Kami made the Earth's dragonballs? So it's worth it to go to Planet Namek if Vegeta is going to go there. Kuririn know's what he's talking about.

As for general thoughts of the saga, I liked the Freeza saga very much. Being a fan of both fantasy and science fiction themes, it was no problem for me to enjoy this early part of the saga on Namek. Still, I have to admit it is a bit of a change of pace . . . but then again, there is "sci-fi" aspects in the pre-Saiyan saga part of Dragonball. I mean hover cars, futuristic buildings, etc . . . Toriyama already introduced such elements in the series. The only change really is new beings and other extraterrestrial themes. In the larger scheme of things it does not take much imagination in comparison to what we see prior to Raditz, Vegeta, Freeza, etc.

P.S. Am I the only one who finds scouters cool? :oops: :lol:
Drabaz wrote:Kanzentai's got it streaming!

オッス!帰ってきた孫悟空と仲間たち!!
Ossu! Kaette Kita Son Gokuu to Nakama-tachi!!
Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!!

And please don't ask them for a copy. Thanks Hujio!
BIG thanks Hujio! Finally, no lag.
Last edited by Maphisto86 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:13 am

Last edited by Tatsunoboshi Horoko on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

nimerjm

Post by nimerjm » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:14 am

Thanks a lot, guys!

Can't wait to watch it... yeah, its 2 am on a Monday morning, but its new Dragonball!
DBZ tattoo sleeve finally finished at the 85 hour mark. Pic: http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/nimerjm/JasonTattoo1.jpg