The DBZ Jump Anime Tour Special (Now Streaming!)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:21 pm

Think there's a chance they might just use the current subs, though? I mean, they do have to pay Daimao for subbing things (granted, they might have to pay Toei extra to use those subs, I don't know how things would work in this case).

That reminds me that some of the videos for the special up on Youtube credit it as being from Funimation.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:58 pm

I doubt they would, considering Funimation had Daimao do the FMA movie instead of using the wacky Pigeon English subs that came with it.

LSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by LSSJ4 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Zenkai Power wrote:I was thinking... when this comes out on DVD, they should (they might?) give you an incentive to buy it by adding a new scene or something... I'd take a new ending (credits) with a new song by you know who. Maybe also some kind of bonus thing on the DVD. I dunno what... a Neko Majin short animated?
In another thread, someone mentioned that the new ending theme is by a visual kei band. :?:

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:12 pm

On the topic of challenging the accuracy of the English subs, while watching the special again, I noticed that when Goku asks Abo and Cado to join in, the subs have them say that they already are. Though from what I heard, it sounded like they were saying that one phrase that you'd say in Japanese culture before you ate anything. From what I've heard on the podcast, it doesn't really have an English equivalent, though, so I guess that's alright.

Also, I'm surprised that nobody brought up Gohan's laptop at the beginning of the episode. The Dragon World is finally showing signs of having entered the equivalent of the 21st Century! Heh, woulda been pretty hilarious to still see them communicating via fax like they did in the Cell Saga, though :P.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:52 pm

Zenkai Power wrote:
Gozar wrote:
Herms wrote:It's like Tatsunoboshi Horoko says. Super-literally, what Vegeta says is "that and this are different".
Yeah but then what the Sub said is pretty off. :?
Pherhaps literally it says that... but maybe in Japan saying it like that is similar to saying "You thought wrong!" ???
Most likely it should have read "those are two different matters!" or "that has nothing to do to with this!", where "that" implies their friendship and 'this" implies whether or not its ok to eat Vegeta's food.

@Herms: Quick googling gave me this at as the new Akane: Image

I can't find a fullbody yet, but it may explain why the reporter's clothes were so casual, too.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:31 pm

So, yeah, I just now saw the special.

It was freakin' amazing!!! I loved it!

The thing that really put everything in place for me is that they improved on an old formula by having the characters who weren't fighting do stuff even while they were on the sidelines. Gohan's coaching, everyone destroying the falling debris in order to protect other people, etc. The only sad part was that Vegeta didn't really get to do much of anything combat wise.

As for the rest of it, it was classic Toriyama fun and humor, which I always like seeing in Dragonball.

I hope to see more specials done like this. I also hope to see it out on DVD here in the States. I mean, I know FUNi would have to dub it first, but I know they'll include the Japanese version with subs and there's no way they can seriously screw it up since they wouldn't have to "remaster" it at all.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

kanon

Post by kanon » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:32 pm

I want to say thanks for the video :D :D :D
I enjoy this OVA, even if there are some differences with the normal story. All characters have their original seiyuu, that's good. I also want to ask something : I'm from France, and I would know if someone does have the .flv file with French subs, because the streaming is kinda slow sometimes. Thanks ! :wink:
I only regret that Tenshinhan wasn't here. Of course he wasn't a main elment during Majin Buu arc, but he was there. The death of his seiyuu may be the cause of his absence.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:54 pm

Herms wrote:Think there's a chance they might just use the current subs, though? I mean, they do have to pay Daimao for subbing things (granted, they might have to pay Toei extra to use those subs, I don't know how things would work in this case).
It seems unlikely due to the inconsistencies, doesn't it?

GotenZ1
Patreon Supporter

Post by GotenZ1 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:06 pm

DaemonCorps wrote: Also, I'm surprised that nobody brought up Gohan's laptop at the beginning of the episode. The Dragon World is finally showing signs of having entered the equivalent of the 21st Century! Heh, woulda been pretty hilarious to still see them communicating via fax like they did in the Cell Saga, though :P.
Yeah, Gohan even has a USB drive on his desk in one scene. I have a translation question for someone out there. Around 5 minutes into the special, Gohan convinces Goku to got to the part and goku finally decides to go. Then Goku says "We'll go Goten," to which Goten replies "Yay yay." But then Goten says something else that isn't translated because it is said in the background of Gohan thinking that Videl cannot get mad at him now.

Anyone know what he is saying? He obviously mentions Trunks in it.... and then Goku seems to say something funny in response. If someone could help me out, that would be great! :)

On a separate note, I really liked the relationship between Goku and Goten in this special. They really played up how similar they are had a lot of fun with the scenes. Looking back on the series, there really isn't a moment other than when Goku first meets Goten that has them interacting outside of a fight.
My short animated film (has some violence): http://youtu.be/ovT8mbYE85E

Zenkai Power
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai Power » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:21 pm

GotenZ1 wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote: Also, I'm surprised that nobody brought up Gohan's laptop at the beginning of the episode. The Dragon World is finally showing signs of having entered the equivalent of the 21st Century! Heh, woulda been pretty hilarious to still see them communicating via fax like they did in the Cell Saga, though :P.
Yeah, Gohan even has a USB drive on his desk in one scene.
I thought it was cool that the icons on the desktop were Neko Majin and Toriyama from the manga (and maybe something else I forgot).

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:30 pm

Anyone know what he is saying? He obviously mentions Trunks in it.... and then Goku seems to say something funny in response. If someone could help me out, that would be great!
I remember hearing "I'll get to see Trunks!" and then my brain sort of faded into what Gohan said. I would check back, but I'm busy atm.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:35 am

Zenkai Power wrote:
GotenZ1 wrote:
Yeah, Gohan even has a USB drive on his desk in one scene.
I thought it was cool that the icons on the desktop were Neko Majin and Toriyama from the manga (and maybe something else I forgot).
It's the one-star ball, a familiar looking planet (Green with a blue ring) that I can't place, Neko Majin, and Toribot.

We also see an Akane (from the new Dr Slump anime) look-a-like as the girl reporter, and Makoleen (from COWA!) as one the civilians walking by (specifically at 9:37 into the movie) when Tarble and Gure's pods enter the atmosphere. I also JUST noticed now that Makoleen walks by a rehashed character design of Cowa's mother; she's just got human skin instead of green skin.

EDIT: OH SHIT! At 9:19, the guy in the Satan shirt is Neko Majin Mike when he uses his magic to look like Kojiro (his friend, the teacher from NM Mike). Not only that, but behind the guy is a woman. Look familiar? She's the transexual stripper from GO! GO! ACKMAN! XP

SECOND EDIT: I went back to 9:35 to see if I could see who "Cowa-Momalike" was walking with; it's the villain from Kajika.

THIRD EDIT: Look VERY closely at 9:57. Be careful, it lasts less than half a second; as the shattered glass clears, you can see Dub from "Dub and Peter."
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:49 am

I finally watched the special about two nights ago, and I absolutely LOVED IT!! The special made me laugh a lot, especially when Vegeta was arguing with Goku and Bulma, and Vegeta's reaction to Tarble's Wife. :lol: I hope more specials are made in the future. :)
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:18 pm

I'm wondering why the opening says "Dragon Ball" and not "Dragon Ball Z"
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:21 pm

I loved the special, Especially the Goku/Vegeta scenes :lol:

I hope Tarlen (not sure on spelling) and the bad guys appear in a video game sometime.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:43 pm

disturbed001 wrote:I'm wondering why the opening says "Dragon Ball" and not "Dragon Ball Z"
Because it was made for the Jump celebration and, in the manga (which was published in Jump), the entire series from when Goku meets Bulma to when Goku flies off with Uub is called Dragonball. The "Z" tacked on the end was anime-only.

If it were a special made to celebrate Toei that took place in the same time period, it would've been called Dragonball Z.

EDIT: "Boku?" Geez, I can't type today... :oops:
Last edited by Kendamu on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(they/she)

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:57 pm

Kendamu wrote:
disturbed001 wrote:I'm wondering why the opening says "Dragon Ball" and not "Dragon Ball Z"
Because it was made for the Jump celebration and, in the manga (which was published in Jump), the entire series from when Boku meets bulma to when Goku flies off with Uub is called Dragonball. The "Z" tacked on the end was anime-only.

If it were a special made to celebrate Toei that took place in the same time period, it would've been called Dragonball Z.
Hmm, I guess that makes sense. I knew that the whole thing in the manga world was considered "Dragon Ball" but I thought that since this was animated it would be Dragon Ball Z, but it makes sense since it's a Jump Special.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:18 pm

disturbed001 wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
Because it was made for the Jump celebration and, in the manga (which was published in Jump), the entire series from when Goku meets Bulma to when Goku flies off with Uub is called Dragonball. The "Z" tacked on the end was anime-only.

Hmm, I guess that makes sense. I knew that the whole thing in the manga world was considered "Dragon Ball" but I thought that since this was animated it would be Dragon Ball Z, but it makes sense since it's a Jump Special.
I mainly overexplained it because there may be lurkers and newbies who don't know all that stuff.
(they/she)

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:20 pm

And that's fine. It actually makes me like this special even more looking at it as an animated manga special, rather than another anime special.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:23 pm

disturbed001 wrote:And that's fine. It actually makes me like this special even more looking at it as an animated manga special, rather than another anime special.
EXACTLY. A lot of people who hate don't know why they hate it, and then cite it as not "feeling like the story normally does." That's because they're using the Z anime and its movies as criterion.