Full Movie Trailer Online

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:28 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:I find it sad and morbidly amusing that the people who soiled themselves seeing Piccolo destroy a city, and exclaimed so excitedly that they finally got to see something faithful to the original are some of the same people trying to convince everyone that they shouldn't want the movie to seem like the original.
You're not directing that at me are you...?
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:30 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:You're not directing that at me are you...?
Specifically, solely? No.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:31 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:...the people who soiled themselves seeing Piccolo destroy a city...
Have to say I'm in that camp, myself. It looks exactly like the panel in volume 13 where Piccolo demonstrates his power to the King, and I noticed it right away.

I don't know why I find 1111 posts so amusing, but I do...
Last edited by The Tori-bot on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:35 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:I find it sad and morbidly amusing that the people who soiled themselves seeing Piccolo destroy a city, and exclaimed so excitedly that they finally got to see something faithful to the original are some of the same people trying to convince everyone that they shouldn't want the movie to seem like the original.
And I find it sad and morbidly amusing that those against the film continue to look for any opportunity to twist around the words of those looking forward to make it seem as though they're delusional or in denial.

Please, don't misunderstand. When things from the manga work and are included in the movie, it's certainly a good thing and I'm glad for it. But it's not going to make or break the film as a whole for me. The fact that Lord Piccolo destroys cities isn't cool only because it's the same as Daimao did in the series, but it's impressive on its own merit. Were it out-of-character for Lord Piccolo to be doing so, then I probably wouldn't be pleased about it.

Though I'm certainly going to enjoy the movie's take on the story for what it is, don't think I actually want everything to be different. There's plenty in there that resembles the manga and will surely be a lot more little things as well.
Last edited by Kaboom on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Ducard
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ducard » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:37 pm

It's nice to see some love for the 90's TMNT movie. 8)

While this newest trailer isn't really going to change anyone's opinion, it's nice to finally see something come out. I could do without the 'Chosen One' parts, but at least Piccolo looks like he's going to be a fun villain. Thank goodness he didn't turn out like Dr. Doom.

Rena Rune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rena Rune » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:41 pm

It looks kind of cool, but Goku is too emo and Roshi needs to be an old man. At least he's wearing a colourful shirt. At least Piccolo is greenish and Bulma has a strand of funky hair...

Also, was there a shape shifter in there?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:42 pm

Ducard wrote:While this newest trailer isn't really going to change anyone's opinion, it's nice to finally see something come out. I could do without the 'Chosen One' parts...
Yeah, I'm having Half-Blood Prince trailer flashbacks...

Everyone spread the TMNT love! :D
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:45 pm

Rena Rune wrote:It looks kind of cool, but Goku is too emo and Roshi needs to be an old man. At least he's wearing a colourful shirt. At least Piccolo is greenish and Bulma has a strand of funky hair...

Also, was there a shape shifter in there?
Why, yes there was. I believe it was Mai...
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:01 pm

I saw Super Mario Bros, I saw Street Fighter, I saw Mortal Kombat Annihilation...I'll see this, if for no other reason than morbid curiosity. That, and it doesn't look too bad, if you look at it more from a "random Kung-Fu fantasy" movie like Kung Fu Hustle, than if you look at it like a Dragon Ball fan...besides, it can't be as bad as the Live Action Fist of the North Star movie...right?
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:13 pm

Awesome looking (and GREEN) Piccolo, awesome looking explosions, decent looking action, Mai and Bulma look decent, inclusion of the Capsule products, Grandpa Gohan looks great...

But...

Goku not only looks out of character, but now sounds utterly wrong, Roshi doesn't feel like Roshi (Grandpa Gohan looks much more accurate), Chi-Chi's actress is leaving a lot to be desired, the effects are looking a little iffy here and there, the story changes seem a little iffy, and ultimately it's only hyped me up for the action but is setting up for a huge disappointment in terms of Goku's character.

It wouldn't be so upsetting to me if I weren't such a huge believer that the first and foremost important factor of an adaptation is to keep the character's as close to their originals as possible. Goku's character is nothing like what we've seen and that's disturbing and distracting.

"I'm not ready for this.", "... Cool.", unpopular in high school, always serious, never smiling...

Hopefully, this is all just being smothered by the trailers and promotional pictures, but they're not giving us much to look forward to here.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

loney123

Post by loney123 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:20 pm

You guys need to watch this in HD. It looks 10x better.

Oh and also, thet last 'HA' that Goku shot with one hand isn't actually his Kamehameha blast. The wording don't match up with his lips, that's just a regular blast towards the audience to wow them. It's painfully obvious when you watch it in HD.

Ducard
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ducard » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:36 pm

A few more thoughts:

-This trailer needs a better flow to it. It has too much 'big action shot followed by big action shot' instead of letting things go down a bit smoother; even the licensing promo had better pacing. I also wish they would get rid of those 'flashing' moments inbetween shots, gives me a headache. That said I think I do prefer this trailer to the other one. Piccolo looks good as a green guy... though it looks like they've gotten rid of his yellow stage altogether? Or maybe they always planned to redo his face as green... who knows. Anyway he blows up stuff seems pretty cool.

-It's difficult to judge from this trailer how the camera work for the actions scenes will go... Some shots look a little campy, others look great. For some reason I really love that shot of Mai ascending to the sky.

-Goku's pensive attitude is probably based on Piccolo killing his grandfather. We know there are at least some upbeat parts to his character in the movie, so it's a little annoying that they focused only on Goku's seriousness for the trailer.

-Yeah, that's not the full Kamehameha shot. Otherwise looks pretty good though. I still like how some of the ki blasts have sort of a whispy quality to them.

-I like how the capsule pod works. Sure it's overtly Transformers-ish, but I actually prefer that sort of thing since DB always enjoyed borrowing from pop culture (Frankenstein, Alien, Terminator, Superman, etc...)

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:05 pm

Still waiting for this to be confirmed but a 6-minute trailer is supposed to be released in February. It's said to be "flashier and more revealing" than the 1:50 trailer.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:12 pm

JAPPO wrote:Still waiting for this to be confirmed but a 6-minute trailer is supposed to be released in February. It's said to be "flashier and more revealing" than the 1:50 trailer.
If that's the case, then great! Hopefully six minutes of the movie will sell it to me.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Undercooked Sausage wrote:I'm guessing Goku, Roshi, and the general plot etc are so dark because lighthearted, uplifting characters don't really sell these days right? (Dark Knight vs Superman Returns)
Ever since comic book movies hit so big in America

Grim/Gritty/Violent = box office hit
Light hearted = disaster

Look at 300, probably the dumbest comic based movie, but it did extremely well.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Just saw the trailer with my roomie this morning and we were both equally blown away. I haven't been keeping up with the forum posts, so my bad if I'm bringing something up that I shouldn't, but I think the reason we both enjoyed it was because we both understood that the movie would just be taking certain elements of the original series to make into an enjoyable popcorn flick at the least. Just saying.

As for specifics, I'm glad Piccolo's green. His incredibly deep voice took me by surprise at first, but I guess it suits him. What really took me by surprise was Bulma's capsule. Looked like something right outta Toonami (back when Tom looked awesome, at least). Very much looking forward to how stuff turns out when the movie finally makes it to theaters :D.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Bullboski

Post by Bullboski » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:32 pm

I've read all the discussions here and I'm happy to finally read some honest praise or criticism of the movie. All I see on the youtube page is stupid people cussing up a storm. As a Dragonball fan for 13 years, I just couldn't stand to read anymore of that crap.

As for the movie itself, it shows promise. I knew it wouldn't be exactly like the original. I'm not completely sold on Goku. The original Son Goku is happy, cheerful, ready for anything. Justin's version is the complete opposite from what I've seen so far. But like I said, it shows promise.

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:35 pm

Bullboski wrote:I've read all the discussions here and I'm happy to finally read some honest praise or criticism of the movie. All I see on the youtube page is stupid people cussing up a storm. As a Dragonball fan for 13 years, I just couldn't stand to read anymore of that crap.

As for the movie itself, it shows promise. I knew it wouldn't be exactly like the original. I'm not completely sold on Goku. The original Son Goku is happy, cheerful, ready for anything. Justin's version is the complete opposite from what I've seen so far. But like I said, it shows promise.
I agree. Plus YouTube has the biggest collection of retards on the planet that don't even know how to type/spell, so I wouldn't expect any better...

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :D

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:45 pm

I agree. Most sites are full of complete idiocy when talking about this movie. I don't care if you NAME things you don't like, but to make senseless insults like "this movie is gay it sucks my cock" just shows how glad I am Fox doesn't listen to these supposed "fans."

And yeah, a lot of people are treating this like an adaptation of citizen kane. Uh... I'm sorry... but no. You may remember the show as a literary masterpiece, but it's really not. It's pure entertainment which is what this movie will be.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:46 pm

Am I seeing things or did Piccolo have a fucking sword?!
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.