Herms' Huge Project (Viz translation review)--DB vol.5!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:53 am

Thanos6 wrote:What's the Japanese version of Bulma's "I thought you were going to CENSORED or CENSORED or even CENSORED" gag?
Well crap, they totally changed that in later volumes. Like Yi Xing Long said, originally they had a more faithful, un-CENSORED version.

Tr: Wh—at. I thought you were going to get me nude and do a “hero-hero” on me, or a “pafu-pafu” or a “kyoi-kyoi” or an “inguri-monguri”!

Viz (old): The way things are going, I figured you were gonna strip me nude and do a “slurp-slurp” or a “puff-puff” or a “pat-pat” or even a “grope-grope”!

Taking a look at these terms:
Hero-hero (should be pronounced to rhyme with “hello”, and not like the English word “hero”): All I can find on herohero is “completely exhausted; dog-tired; dreadfully weary; terribly frustrated; limp; weak; flimsy”, which isn't terribly helpful. Viz has (well, had) it as “slurp-slurp”

Pafu-pafu: The Japanese for “puff-puff”, which we see with Oolong.

Kyoi-kyoi: Search me. Viz has it as “pat-pat”, like with Goku’s habit of feeling people up to tell if they are male of female, but the Japanese sound effect for that is “pan-pan”.

Inguri-monguri: Got me again. Viz has it as “grope-grope”.

Right now I'm using the old Viz editions for DB 1-10 and DBZ 1-10, which I bought pretty soon after they were released, the Shonen Jump GNs for DB 11-16 and DBZ 11-12 from when they were released, DBZ 20-26 bought around when DBZ 26 was released, and DBZ 13-19 that I bought last week and at Christmas (I don't really remember which volumes I got when). I also have most of the Viz Shonen Jump from during the run of the android/Cell arc up somewhere in my attic (that being why I didn't get those GNs until now). For the Japanese, I'm using the kanzenban. There's a lot of censoring in later editions that I don't have, so I'm to have to try flipping through some of those newer editions at Barnes and Noble or something.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DevilKingBaal

Post by DevilKingBaal » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:02 am

Herms wrote:(inaka itself basically means “the sticks”, and both these words get used quite a lot in Dr. Slump)
Question: I'm currently playing a game called Persona 4. The town you live in is called "Inaba", it's rural town in the countryside. And throughout the game people refer to it as "The Boonies", The Sticks" and such. Does Inaba mean anything by itself, or is it possibly a play off of "Inaka?"
Archer: "I watched it over and over. Meaningless massacres, meaningless equality, meaningless happiness! I was forced to look at them even when I refused to. This is not what I wished for. I did not become a guardian for this!"

Shiro-"Archer, do you regret your actions? I won't lose to you. I don't mind losing against someone else. But I can't lose against myself"

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:23 am

Well, from recollection, the town of Inaba (or Yasoinaba) is set in the "sticks" ("inaka") and is referred to by that term. The name is possible a play on "inaka." And, the name itself contains the kanji 稲, which is funny, considering all the 稲田 (rice fields) and 稲(rice-planting)-related things you would see in the country.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:28 am

Here's the first half of volume 5, which conveniently leaves off right at the end of the 21st TB. I've got notes done for everything up to the end of volume 8, so hopefully it won't take too long to expand them into coherent sentences.

Chapter 49

[**]
Jacky, on the announcer saying he’s struggling and that Goku has the upper hand
Tr: What~~? Shithead! “I’m struggling”, you say?...
Viz: Okay, okay~~!, I get the stupid idea!! I’ll show him an “upper hand”…

Jacky calls the announcer (or maybe he’s referring to Goku? Or just kind of muttering to himself?) “kusottare” (くそったれ; くそ/kuso=shit), which can be translated as various insults, like “shithead”, “asshole”, etc.

[name]
Goku’s monkey-mimicking technique is the Saruken (猿拳), “Fist of the Monkey” or “Monkey Attack” (which is what Viz goes with). “Saru” is “monkey”, while “ken” literally means “fist”, but in technique names isn’t usually mean literally (Goku’s Saruken doesn’t involve actually punching Jacky, for instance), and essentially means “attack”.

[*]
The announcer originally calls Jacky’s pose “ominous”, while in Viz he calls it “ludicrous”, making his comment more tongue-in-cheek.

[note]
Jacky’s lullaby in Japanese goes “Go to sleep soon. You’re a good little kid, boy. Go to sleep.” In Viz, he sings “Rock-a-bye-baby”.

[name]
Jacky hypnosis technique is called “Yoiko Min-Min Ken” (よいこ眠眠拳), the Good-Kid Sleep-Sleep Attack (there’s that “ken” again). Viz calls the Nighty-Night Baby Attack. “Yoiko”, literally meaning “good child”, is a Japanese phrase equivalent to “good kid”, “goodie two-shoes”, “good little boys and girls”, etc.

[**]
Jacky, on whether his technique is hypnosis or martial arts
Tr: What are you talking about?! It’s a splendid martial art, isn’t it?!
Viz: It has a fancy Chinese name, doesn’t it?!

“Yoiko Min-Min Ken” isn’t Chinese, so I’m not sure why Viz used the phrase “fancy Chinese name”. It might be a reference to the fact that the technique names in DragonBall are generally written in kanji, the writing system that the Japanese took from the Chinese, although even then the “yoiko” in the technique’s name is written out in hiragana, which is Japanese in origin.

[*]
Tr
Announcer: B-but it’s going to be a lousy climax to this tournament if you win the championship with that sort of pitiful technique…
Jacky: Who cares?!! It’s worse to be instantly taken in by a pitiful technique!

Viz
Announcer: B-but what are people going to say about my tournament if you win it with a lullaby?!
Jacky: Is it my fault my opponent is such a doofus I could sing him to sleep?! Count!

Mostly I wanted to point out that the announcer doesn’t originally refer to the Tenkaichi Budoukai as “my tournament”.

[*]
Jacky, as Goku wakes up
Tr: I'm-I'm…impossible…this can’t be…
Viz: Gblixl…mnguh…kblorgl…

I think the people at Viz must just get tired of having to deal with the same generic Japanese exclamations over and over again (the exclamations here being “bakana” and “sonna”, which are used endlessly throughout DragonBall), so they try to come up with more creative stuff, such as this. Well, actually it seems that in later Viz editions, this was changed to be more faithful to the original, so that he says actual words to the effect of “impossible!”.

[**]
Announcer
Tr: Contestant Son has woken up! Truly in the nick of time!!!
Viz: And the match is still on!!! Good news for the dignity of martial arts!!!

[*]
Jacky, on the Janken
Tr: I’m already able to predict the Janken!
Viz: Know how many rock, scissors, and paper I’ve seen?

Goku, in response to this
Tr: But the Janken was only my grandpa’s technique…
Viz: B-but it was my grandpa’s special, secret move…he said…

“Only my grandpa’s technique” in the sense that only he used it (and not in the sense of “merely my grandpa’s technique”).

Chapter 50

[*]
In the original Jacky says Goku will probably survive the Bankoku Bikkuri Shou because he’s Goku’s, while in Viz he says he’ll probably survive because he’s young.

[**]
Goku, on Jacky saying he’s lost
Tr: Eh?! Why am I going to lose!? [This match] isn’t settled yet!
Viz: Lose?! That’s stupid! I’m ahead! He said so!

I think it’s kind of out of character for Goku to rely on a referee’s comments to determine how a fight is going.

[name]
Jacky’s electricity technique is the Bankoku-Bikkuri-Shou (萬国驚天掌), which is most likely a pun on the Bankoku Bikkuri Show (万国びっくりショー ; “International Surprise Show”), a variety program broadcast on Fuji TV beginning in 1967. For the attack name, the “ban” part is written with an alternate version of the regular kanji for it, “bikkuri” is written out in kanji in a way it wouldn’t usually be (it’s pretty much always written in hiragana), and “shou” is written out with the kanji for the palm of the hand, so the attack name would basically translate to “International Surprise Palm” (which makes a sort of sense, in as much as Jacky shoots the attack from the palm of his hands).

Viz calls it the “Bankoku Hikkuri Shou” (no idea why they’ve got it as “hikkuri” and not “bikkuri”, the furigana for the attack name is clear enough), which they translate as “Bangkok Surprise Prize”. “Bankoku” when written out in katakana is Japanese for “Bangkok” (バンコク) and “shou” can mean “prize” when written with another kanji (賞). Presumably Viz figured that the attack name was a pun where only the reading for the characters were important and the kanji were simply chosen to match the reading, a not uncommon thing for shonen attacks (for instance, an attack name where the kanji that make it up mean “big impressive thunderbolt” or something, but how the kanji are actually pronounced spells out “this will kill you stone-cold dead”; OK, I completely made that up, but hopefully you get the idea).

Well, hopefully that all made some degree of sense. Oh yeah, another thing is that Viz puts their translation of the attack name inside a little box that they insert into the actually image where Jacky’s shouting the name, instead of stuffing it in the space between panels like they usually do with notes.

[*]
Kuririn, on the above attack
Tr: Uwa--!!!
Viz: Stop it!!!

[**]
Goku, when Jacky tells him to give up
Tr: N…no way!!! I-I won’t give up!! [sticky out tongue]
Viz: O-okay, old man!!! L-listen up…an I’ll say…[sticks out tongue]

Goku also goes "Cr-cr-crap~…!!!" in the original, but this gets replaced with generic screaming in Viz.

[*]
Tr
Yamcha: Th-this is bad!!! The moon tonight!!! [ ] I-it’s a full moon!!!!
Kuririn: Wh…what…is that…??

Viz
Yamcha: Gaa!!! I forgot!!!
Kuririn: About…what…??
Yamcha: The full mooooon!!!!

So originally, Yamcha’s two speech balloons form when uninterrupted train of thought (the [ ] marks the break between balloons), and meanwhile Kuririn is off freaking out on his own. In Viz, Kuririn is asking Yamcha what’s going on, and Yamcha’s second speech balloon becomes a response to Kuririn.

Chapter 51

[*]
Jacky, on Oozaru Goku
Tr: Gieeeee~!!!!!
Viz: What do I do now?!!!!

[*]
As I said earlier, Viz often takes what is originally generic crowd noise sound effects and makes them into actual dialogue. The crowd response to Goku’s rampage is a good example (since I’m not going to keep track of all of these):

Wa—
Kyaa—
Hiee---

Helllp
Runnn
Yaaa

[**]
The announcer
Tr: Uwawawa--!!! Th-this is dangerous--!!! Bu-but I can’t run from my place as a referee--!!!
Viz: Hey!!! Whoa!!! Waaaaaatch it!!! You’re not going to win by crushing the referee!!!

[note]
As the announcer is saying this, you can see what appears to be Garfield’s back amidst the fleeing crowd.

[*]
When saying how he can’t go out of the ring, since he’d lose, Jacky originally says that he’s the one most in danger, which drops out in Viz, presumably because they changed the announcer’s “this is dangerous!” line that Jacky was responding to.

[**]
When Kuririn is urging Goku to return to normal
Tr: Th-that technique is dangerous for everyone--!!!
Viz: You don’t have to kill the whole audience!!!

I love how the Viz line seems to imply that Goku does in fact need to kill some of the audience, just not all of them.

[**]
In response to the above, Yamcha says “that’s not a technique”, which in Viz is “he doesn’t even know who he is!!!”

[*]
Jacky, going into action
Tr: Alright!!! I’ve got no choice!!!
Viz: Ho-kay!!! Here goes!!!

[name]
Jacky’s suped-up Kamehameha is called “Kamehameha Max Power”. The “max power” part is English, written in katakana above the kanji 最大出力 (normally read as saidai shutsuryoku, and which means “maximum output”). Viz calls it “Kamehameha Maximum Power.

Chapter 52

[*]
The announcer originally describes Jacky’s moon-destroying Kamehameha as a “stupendous Kamehameha”, while in Viz he calls it Jacky’s “greatest ever Kamehameha blast”.

[name]
The term “Oozaru” gets used for the first time, by the announcer when describing what Goku turned into. Previously, during the Pilaf stuff, this form had been called “kaibutsu-zaru”, “monster monkey”. “Oozaru” (大猿) essentially means “big monkey”, 大/oo meaning “big/great” and 猿/saru meaning “monkey” (that “saru” becomes “zaru” when combined with “oo” is due to rendaku. Viz translates “Oozaru” here as “monster ape” and later as “great ape” during the Z era. Generally speaking though, apes do not have tails.

[note]
When the announcer is describing all the terrible things that will happen now that the moon is gone (tides out of control, gravity fuc…oh, that never happens), he mentions that people will now be unable to eat Tsukimi Dango (月見だんご), “moon-viewing dango”. These are a variant of dango, Japanese dumplings that are way better than flowers. Tsukimi Dango are eaten at moon-viewing ceremonies, and come in many different shapes and sizes depending on the region, such as round ones stacked up into a pyramid shape, long and thing ones, etc. Viz changes the reference to Tsukimi Dango to a reference to moon pies.

[*]
In the original, Kuririn describes Goku’s Oozaru transformation as having been incredible during the part where he says how Goku won’t be able to become it again, so it doesn’t matter whether Goku knows about the transformation, but this drops out in Viz.

[**]
Goku, on Kame-sennin not being able to shoot a Kamehameha
Tr: So you can’t use the Kamahameha now?!
Viz: So! No more zap-zap thingie, eh?!

Goku had earlier said how he had to watch out for that zap-zap thing, in both the original and Viz. I think what happened here is that Viz assumed Goku was referring to the Kamehameha back then, when he was probably talking about the electrical Bankoku Bikkuri Shou. So on that assumption, it’d make sense to swap out “Kamehameha” for “zap-zap thingie” here.

[*]
In the original Jacky says he and Goku are losing energy through hunger and fatigue, while in Viz he less specifically says that they are both running low on energy.

[**]
Goku, before the final double kick
Tr: Alri—ght!! I definitely won’t lose!!
Viz: Okay, then!! Let’s see who’s stronger!!

Chapter 53

[**]
The original opening narration describes Goku and Jacky’s match as a “very long finals”, while Viz upgrades it to the longest finals ever.

[*]
Announcer
Tr: A…ah…!! Bo-both contestants are knocked out!!! It’s a double knockdown--!!!!
Viz: N-no…Noooo…!! It’s the rarest of the rare—a double knock-down!!! B-both contestants are out cold!!!!

Mostly I wanted to nit-pick on the “rarest of the rare” addition, since the situation immediately escalates into a double knock-out when neither Goku or Jacky stand up by the end of the ten count, so wouldn’t that be the rarest of the rare?

[*]
Viz adds the announcer saying that the rules for determining the winner in a double knock-out are “according to the ancient tradition”.

[lost]
The phrase that contestants must stand and say in the case of a double knock-out is “yuushou shita mon ne-“. “Yuushou” means to win in the sense of winning a tournament or the like (this is the word characters use when in Viz they cheer him to “go all the way”), so “yuushou shita” is “ won the championship”. Ending sentences with “mon” is a childish way of speaking, and the “ne” is a particle added to the end of sentences to add emphasis. So overall, Viz does really well with their translation of the phrase as “I did so win!!”.

[note]
The announcer’s statement that the contestants have to smile as they say the phrase was originally in the same place as where he first starts explaining the rule, but in Viz that part of the dialogue is moved to the first panel of the next page. It replaces the announcer saying “Is that alright!? Please stand and say “I won the championship”.

[*]
In Viz, the announcer asks the audience to “Watch for those smiles!!!! Listen for those words!!!!”, while originally he asks whether Goku or Jacky will be the first to stand.

[note]
Goku gets equally close to finishing the phrase in Japanese as he does in English. In Japanese he gets as far as “Yuushou shita mon”, only leaving out the final “ne” particle. In Viz he gets as far as “I did so wi…” before collapsing, leaving off only the final “n”.

[*]
Viz adds a punny “And that is the long and the short of it…” to Jacky’s speech on how the relative lengths of his and Goku’s legs determined the match.

Chapter 54

[note]
When the announcer hands Jacky the prize money, Jacky originally says “Gottsan desu”, sumo slang for “thank you”. In Viz he says “I’m glad you remembered”.

[note]
In my printing at least of Viz’s DB vol.5, the screentone for the panel where Kame-sennin urges Goku and Kuririn to train even harder now is mostly invisible.

[edit]
The name sign of the restaurant where everyone eats after the tournament reads “Delicious 菜館” in the original (“Delicious Vegetable Mansion”). In Viz the sign reads “Veggie Manor”.

[note]
They’re eating pork, with Oolong right there! Though I suppose that it’s possible they also had some roast baby earlier, just to be fair.

[lost]
When told that the restaurant is totally out of food, Goku says 腹八分目 /Hara-hachi-bume (sometimes hara-hachi-bunme), which could be loosely translated as “keep your stomach 8/10s full”. This saying encourages eating eat moderately and slowly to achieve a reasonable, but not excessive, sense of fullness. Goku, of course, has never done anything even vaguely resembling this. Viz uses the similar English proverb “all things in moderation”.

[lost]
After the meal, Goku (or somebody, you don’t see who’s talking), says “gochisou-sama deshita”, the set Japanese phrase used to express gratitude after meals. It literally means “that was a feast”. Viz has it as “thank you soooo much!!”

[**]
In Viz Kame-sennin says that the 470,000 zeni restaurant bill cost him “every zeni” of the prize money, even though he should still have 30,000 zeni left over from the 500,000 zeni prize (well, I guess he could have ended up spending that already in other ways). Originally he just said that the bill made his prize money go “poof”.

[*]
Bulma, on Goku going dragonball hunting
Tr: You still feel like searching for that!?
Viz: You’re planning to search for those again?!

[*]
Goku originally says that looking for the dragonballs allows him to train, while in Viz he says it is a good way to “get into fights”.

[**]
When saying how he thought he could finally be alone with Lunch, Kame-sennin originally calls her “Lunch-chan”, showing some closeness to her, while in Viz he calls her “that Lunch girl”, showing the opposite.

[*]
Goku, collecting his luggage
Tr: See you later everyone!
Viz: I don’t need a ride then!

In both, he explains that he’ll take off from there on Kinto-un. He also says goodbye again later in both versions.

[note]
Goku treats Kinto-un like a pet, telling it “yoshi-yoshi”, the Japanese equivalent of “good boy”, which is how Viz translates it.

[note]
Kuririn refers to himself using “ore”, the casual masculine form of “I”, when he’s offering to go along with Goku to search for the dragonballs. Up until now he has used “boku” as his standard form of “I”, the form used by younger males. So switching to “ore” could be seen as him growing up, or maybe just trying to soundly manly as he offers his help.
Last edited by Herms on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:34 pm

Most of the dialouge here was again translated pretty straight in the Danish version.

Yoiko Minmin-ken was renamed the "Lullaby Tecnique", but I can't remember what they changed Bankoku Bikkuri-shou to (but it was nowhere near the original meaning of the attack).

The oozaru has always been called "Were-Gorilla" throughout the entire series.

Right after Goku first fires his Kamehame-ha in against Jackie, the translators add in a little pun on their own, with Goku saying "Jeg ka' osse ha' me' ha" (something along the lines of "I can do with the ha as well". The pun should be obvious enough, it's completely untranslatable, and a cute little addition)
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:00 pm

Herms wrote:The term “Oozaru” gets used for the first time, by the announcer when describing what Goku turned into. Previously, during the Pilaf stuff, this form had been called “kaibutsu-zaru”, “monster monkey”. “Oozaru” (大猿) essentially means “big monkey”, 大/oo meaning “big/great” and 猿/saru meaning “monkey” (that “saru” becomes “zaru” when combined with “oo” is due to rendaku. Viz translates “Oozaru” here as “monster ape” and later as “great ape” during the Z era. Generally speaking though, apes do not have tails.
Does that mean that the translation of “Giant Ape” is inaccurate? Mike even has it listed as that in the Transformation Guide. However, since this is a fantasy action manga and there is not a serious correlation with reality it could be called an ape and yet have a tail?
They’re eating pork, with Oolong right there! Though I suppose that it’s possible they also had some roast baby earlier, just to be fair.
Lol, I believe even in the anime right before Mecha Freeza and King Cold arrives Bulma, Yamcha and Oolong are grilling some sausages on the hibachi at Capsule Corp and Oolong is eating one.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:55 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Does that mean that the translation of “Giant Ape” is inaccurate? Mike even has it listed as that in the Transformation Guide. However, since this is a fantasy action manga and there is not a serious correlation with reality it could be called an ape and yet have a tail?
"Ape" as anything other than a technichal term no one really use outside of textbooks is mostly unique to English, as is the entire concept of "those monkies without tails is something completely different from those monkies WITH tails".

So no, not really. Ape, monkey, same shit unless you're in biology class.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:24 pm

Chapter 55

[lost]
The title for this chapter is akai ribon (赤いリボン), meaning “red ribbon” in Japanese. The actual name for the army though is different, using the English word for “red” rather than the Japanese one (レッドリボン/reddo ribon). The distinction drops out in English, but Viz titling this chapter “the red ribbon” is probably an attempt to preserve it. Incidentally, this is one of the few chapters whose Viz title is anywhere near the same as the original.

[note]
Silver’s underlings are given cowboy-like dialogue in Viz; in Japanese they have accents similar to Goku, pronouncing “ai” sounds as “ee”. As part of their cowboy speech in Viz, they call him “Cunnel Silver”, instead of “Colonel Silver”. Actually, in the original they call him “Silver-san”, and his rank isn’t mentioned at all until later. Also, when they greet Silver, originally they say a very polite “ohayou gozaimasu” which in Viz is an informal “G’ mornin’”.

[*]
Silver to his underlings
Tr: If you have time for greetings, then get to work!
Viz: Don’t waste my time. Resume the operation!

[*]
Silver says that the demand from Red to find the dragonball soon came in that morning, which drops out in Viz.

[*]
Underling, after asking Goku who he is
Tr: What a strange brat…
Viz: ‘R should I say “were”…?

[*]
As part of their whole “cowboy” theme, when one of the underlings threatens to kill Goku if he doesn’t leave, in Viz he says Goku will be “buzzard food” if he doesn’t leave.

[**]
Tr
Underling 1: W-who are you, kid?
Underling 2: You found that extremely fast…! But at any rate, this is pretty lucky, to have this brat find the ball for us. Hey, hand that ball over to us!

Viz
Underling 1: Do we know about them…?
Underling 2: Yer one lucky li’l feller, huh? But I reckon we’re even luckier! Hand that ball over easy, now!

[*]
Underling, after Goku starts fighting
Tr: W-why you!!!
Viz: Wanna play rough?!!!

Chapter 56

[**]
Silver, after Goku steals back his bundle
Tr: I guess I can’t let my guard down against you!
Viz: Are you trying to make me mad?!

[note/*]
Silver, beginning to fight Goku
Tr: I’ll choke the life out of you in five seconds
Viz: I’ll begin by stopping your breathing

Silver’s phrase in Japanese is iki no ne wo tomeru (息の根を止める), an expression meaning to kill/choke the life out of somebody that does literally mean to stop their breathing. I think Viz is wrong though to keep it so literal, since in Japanese it’s a relatively normal expression, while in English it sounds weird (also, the “in five seconds part” drops out). Piccolo Daimao actually says exactly the same thing to Goku before they fight, which Viz there translates as “you’ll be dead in five seconds”.

[lost/note]
In Japanese, the robot speaks all in katakana, a common trait of machines in manga. Viz represents this by having him speak in an unusual, computer-like font. They do however also make the robot considerably more formal and, well, robotic-sounding in English than he is in Japanese. For instance, his greeting to Goku in Japanese is “ossu”, the casual greeting similar to “hey!” or “howdy!” that is Goku’s catchphrase, while in Viz he says “greetings”. In the original he simply asks Goku “what do you want?”, while in Viz he says “what is your command?” In Japanese the robot also uses “ore”, a casual and masculine form of “I”, to refer to himself.

[*]
When Goku tells the robot he has to go a long way, he originally goes on to flat-out say that he wants a vehicle, which drops out in Viz.

[*]
Robot, when Goku says he can’t fly a plane
Tr: I can operate it.
Viz: I can. Please enter.

More of Viz making the robot politer and more formal.

[*]
When asking why they haven’t collected the dragonballs yet, Red asks “doesn’t our radar show them clearly enough?!!”, which drops out in Viz.

[**]
Tr
Goku: Isn’t it getting a little cold…?
Robot: I’m a robot, so I’m not cold.

Viz
Goku: Is it just me, or is it getting cold?
Robot: Given that I am a robot, I must conclude that it is just you.

[**]
Upon learning that Silver and co. were taken out by one boy
Black: What could it be?
Red: Does some brat plan on taking on our army? Don’t make me laugh!

Black: How mysterious.
Red: What’s mysterious is how a moron like Silver became a colonel!!

[**]
Robot, when Goku asks why it’s so cold
Tr: It’s only natural. The north is cold!
Viz: Atmospheric temperatures decrease in Northern latitudes.

[*]
RR soldiers, on Goku’s plane crash
Tr: Looks like something fell.
Viz: Looks like a boogie down.

[*]
When talking with his underlings about the crash, White asks whether or not they found the kid’s dead body, which drops out in Viz.

Chapter 57

[*]
Sno, on dragonballs
Tr: This is a dragonball…?
Viz: This is what all the fuss is about?!

[**]
Sno’s mother, on the RR wanting to do something evil
Tr: That’s why they’re desperately searching for the dragonballs!
Viz: And they need that magic wish to achieve it!

Mostly I want to point out again that the term “magic” gets thrown around a lot in Viz’s translation of DragonBall, while in the original relatively few things are explicitly described as magic, such Babidi’s magic.

[*]
Tr: I…I’m cold…! So I came back…
Viz: Brrr! I’m c-c-cold

Also, Goku says this in a scratchy font in the original, but in a normal font in Viz.

[*]
Goku, in warm clothes
Tr: I’m not cold, I’m not cold
Viz: Warm as toastie! Woo-hoo!!

[**]
Goku, on snow
Tr: Hmph. It’s strange…
Viz: Kinda like water…only hard.

[*]
Sno’s mother, on Goku
Tr: But…he’s a good kid; I don’t want him to be killed…
Viz: Yes…but it will still be an awful shame when he’s killed…

She seems far more certain that he’ll die in Viz.

Chapter 58

[*]
When welcoming Goku, White refers to Muscle Tower as "our Muscle Tower" in the original and "legendary Muscle Tower" in Viz.

[**]
White, to Goku
Tr: Mayor!? I get it! One of the villagers asked you to do it, huh!?
Viz: Oh, well then!!

[*]
When White tells his underlings to kill Goku if they want, Viz adds in “meaning yes" (that is, they'd definitaly want to kill Goku).

[edit]
The black soldier who Goku defeats has had his lips blacked-in in Viz, to make him look less like a racist cartoon.

[**]
RR soldiers, to Goku
Tr: B-bastard!!!
Viz: Take this!!!

[***]
Tr: It’s Bunshin no Jutsu!! With such good movement, this is no ordinary person.
Viz: That was an after-image speed illusion!! An extraordinarily sophisticated martial arts move!!

In the original, Murasaki uses the same term for what he thinks Goku does here and later on, and for what he himself claims to do with his four brothers trick. The term is Bunshin no Jutsu (分身の術), “art of the doppelganger”, the same ninja power used so much in Naruto. It’s a different term than 残像拳 /Zanzouken, the afterimage attack. I’ll get into this more in volume 6.

[lost]
Murasaki talks in an archaic way, using the verb “gozaru” in casual speech, a trait common to samurai and ninja in manga. In modern Japanese, “gozaru” is used only in polite phrases, where it’s conjugated into “gozaimasu” (like in “arigatou gozaimasu”, “ohayou gozaimasu”, etc).

[name]
The Terminator-like opponent Goku fights in Muscle Tower is originally called “Sergeant Metallic”. Viz renames him as “Full Metal Jacket”, a homage to the Stanly Kubrick movie of the same name. Granted, I’m not entirely sure why they’d chose to make this reference with this character, but I’ve never actually seen the movie, so maybe there’s a character in it who resembles Metallic. As is, I think they were just going for something with a military connection and the word “metal” in it (and apparently his original name was too stupid).

[lost]
Metallic says an English “Welcome” in both Japanese and English.

[*]
As Goku starts to move unto the next flow, thinking he’s beaten Metallic, he originally screams the English word “Fight!!”, while in Viz he goes “chaaar”, but gets cut off by Metallic’s counterattack before he can complete the whole word.

[sound]
TESE: Bag!!

Chapter 59

Undaunted/didn’t give an inch

[*]
Goku, on Metallic
Tr: What a hard head…!!!
Viz: Talk about a bonehead…!!!

[*]
Metallic, to Goku
Tr: I’ll kill you
Viz: Now, child…face your death!

[*]
White, on Goku’s apparent demise
Tr: He’s been blown to pieces!!
Viz: It’ll be raining brat for days!!

[*]
As he does a v-sign, Metallic says “Peace, peace” in the original and “thankew, thankew” in Viz.

[**]
Goku says of Metallic “Amazing. It’s the first time I’ve met a guy like this…!”, but this drops out in Viz.

[*]
Murasaki, on Goku dodging the missile
Tr: He dodged that?!
Viz: No one could have dodged that…

So technically, he might have thought he personally could have dodged that. So this should really help all those countless “Murasaki vs. Metallic” debates. If there ever are any…

[*]
Goku, to Metallic
Tr: Right back at you!! Let’s see you take my Kamehameha!!!!
Viz: You can dish out a big whammy…but can you take this?!!!

[lost]
Tr: Nanmandabu, nanmandabu
Viz: Rest in peace, ugly bad guy!

Goku’s chant is a variant on Namu Amida Butsu, the invocation to Buddha that Namu gets his name from. Here it’s used as a prayer for the dead.

[*]
Goku, on Metallic’s arm
Tr: Ju…just now…It looked like it moved…
Viz: Naw…I gotta be seeing things…

[**]
Tr
Goku: Wh-wha…what’s going on!? What is this…!
White: Sergeant Metallic was a robot all along!!! Now then, kill!! Kill him dead!!!

Viz
Goku: I d-d-don’t think this is your normal ugly bad guy!
White: Now he sees his foe as he is!!! A full metal indestructible robot!!!

I guess White’s line in Viz is an attempt to explain the name “Full Metal Jacket”.

[*]
Tr
Goku: There are some strange, incredible guys in this world!
Murasaki: H~mm…that boy is no ordinary person…

Viz
Goku: There sure are a lotta weirdos in this world!
Murasaki: Look who’s talking…

Chapter 60

[name]
The sergeant major Goku fights in named “Murasaki” in the original, which is the Japanese word for purple. Murasaki is the only Red Ribbon Army member to be named after the Japanese word for a color, all the other members named in the manga being named after the English words for colors. Presumably this is because he is a ninja, and therefore should have a Japanese name. Viz calls him “Purple”, which erases this distinction. I’d feel better about this if I didn’t suspect they did it merely so that they could reference the song Purple People Eater in their title for this chapter, “Purple People Beater” (the original chapter title for the record being “Ninja Murasaki!!”.

[*]
Goku, going up to the next floor
Tr: So, what’s next!?
Viz: How can they top that?

[*]
Murasaki calls Goku an “amateur” in the original and an “infant” in Viz, when saying how Goku won’t possibly be able to find him.

[**]
Tr: How’s this, boy! This time for sure you won’t find me! This is Kakuremi no Jutsu
Viz: Try to find me this time, child!! Try to pierce this cloak of invisibility!!

“Kakuremi no Jutsu” (隠れ身の術; literally “hidden body art”), is the term ninja camouflage techniques.

[edit]
Goku, on Murasaki’s flag camouflage.

Tr: It’s flashy
Viz: Kinda flashy for invisibility, ain’t it

Viz’s line is so much longer than the original that they had to edit the speech balloon to make it bigger so that it would all fit in there. Incidentally, the word Goku uses for “flashy”, “hade” (pronounced “ha-day”) is the same word Buggy from One Piece always uses.

[**]
Goku, to Murasaki’s corrected camouflage
Tr: Hmmm
Viz: I see you!!

[*]
When explaining what number comes after which to Goku, Viz adds in Murasaki saying “do you see a pattern here?”. This is probably my second favorite Viz line.

[name]
Murasaki’s trick of hiding in the pond is Suiton no Jutsu (水遁の術), the ninja art of water escape. Viz calls it the “cloak of water”. Murasaki calls it “famous” in the original, which drops out in Viz.

[*]
Murasaki, on Goku
Tr: Geh!!! What speed!!!
Viz: No!!! No one’s that fast!!!

[note]
Murasaki’s spiked toys are Makibishi. Viz calls them “scatter-mines”.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:29 pm

Herms wrote:Tr: Wh—at. I thought you were going to get me nude and do a “hero-hero” on me, or a “pafu-pafu” or a “kyoi-kyoi” or an “inguri-monguri”!

Viz (old): The way things are going, I figured you were gonna strip me nude and do a “slurp-slurp” or a “puff-puff” or a “pat-pat” or even a “grope-grope”!

Taking a look at these terms:
Hero-hero (should be pronounced to rhyme with “hello”, and not like the English word “hero”): All I can find on herohero is “completely exhausted; dog-tired; dreadfully weary; terribly frustrated; limp; weak; flimsy”, which isn't terribly helpful. Viz has (well, had) it as “slurp-slurp”

Pafu-pafu: The Japanese for “puff-puff”, which we see with Oolong.

Kyoi-kyoi: Search me. Viz has it as “pat-pat”, like with Goku’s habit of feeling people up to tell if they are male of female, but the Japanese sound effect for that is “pan-pan”.

Inguri-monguri: Got me again. Viz has it as “grope-grope”.
Is it possible that these "sex moves" (as I'll refer to them) are fictional? That sounds like the kind of gag you'd find in a young teen comic. Sort of like "I'd give her a little boom-boom, then I'd do a zippity-do-da!"

On a related note, thanks a lot for all your hard work, Herms. I'd actually just started reading the manga about the time you started this, so I've been following along and really enjoying it. Between this and the Reviews of Awesomeness, I feel well informed.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:40 pm

Viz
Goku: Is it just me, or is it getting cold?
Robot: Given that I am a robot, I must conclude that it is just you.
I always loved that line. :D More great work, Herms.
Trunks & Goten forever

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:41 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote: Is it possible that these "sex moves" (as I'll refer to them) are fictional? That sounds like the kind of gag you'd find in a young teen comic. Sort of like "I'd give her a little boom-boom, then I'd do a zippity-do-da!"
Yeah, I suspect that, although I think their names probably mean something, in the same way that while "boom-boom" wouldn't refer to any actual, specific sexual act, the name entails something explosive happening.

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Just throwing it out there that my copy of Vol. 5 has the "zap zap thingy" as "Bankoko Bikuri Shou" like it is originally and not "Bankoko Hikuri Shou".
"There's ten thousand reasons to survive, but you only needed one to die." -CKY-

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:23 pm

TriforceCaptre wrote:Just throwing it out there that my copy of Vol. 5 has the "zap zap thingy" as "Bankoko Bikuri Shou" like it is originally and not "Bankoko Hikuri Shou".
Actually, about this...

I borrowed the original Viz volumes (the bigger ones) a few years ago and they had "Bikkuri" too, along with the translation.

But when I got the small red "SJ" ones (this volume happened to be a "Viz box" one), it was "Hikkuri" and no translation. :?

Does anybody have the "Viz cat" version of that volume to compare with?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:43 pm

TriforceCaptre wrote:Just throwing it out there that my copy of Vol. 5 has the "zap zap thingy" as "Bankoko Bikuri Shou" like it is originally and not "Bankoko Hikuri Shou".
That's interesting. Which printing do you have?

While we're on the subject of differences between Viz volumes, for DB vol.6, does Viz ever change "Mechanical Man No.8" to "Android No.8" for the later editions?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:39 pm

I was wondering Herms, how would you compare this project to your Daizenshuu Bonus Coverage projects? Would you say this is easier/harder, or more/less enjoyable? Thanks, and keep up the amazing work!!

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:32 pm

Herms wrote:
That's interesting. Which printing do you have?

While we're on the subject of differences between Viz volumes, for DB vol.6, does Viz ever change "Mechanical Man No.8" to "Android No.8" for the later editions?
Third printing (September 2006)

Update: When he first calls out the attack he says "Bankoku-Bikkuri-Shou". In the next chapter he uses Hikkuri, "H-He burst the Bankoku-Hikkuri-Shou like a...like a".

Also, I have no "translation" for the name in my volume.
"There's ten thousand reasons to survive, but you only needed one to die." -CKY-

DevilKingBaal

Post by DevilKingBaal » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:13 pm

Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:Well, from recollection, the town of Inaba (or Yasoinaba) is set in the "sticks" ("inaka") and is referred to by that term. The name is possible a play on "inaka." And, the name itself contains the kanji 稲, which is funny, considering all the 稲田 (rice fields) and 稲(rice-planting)-related things you would see in the country.
Someone besides me who plays Persona 4, eh?

Sweet.

Anyways, thanks.
Archer: "I watched it over and over. Meaningless massacres, meaningless equality, meaningless happiness! I was forced to look at them even when I refused to. This is not what I wished for. I did not become a guardian for this!"

Shiro-"Archer, do you regret your actions? I won't lose to you. I don't mind losing against someone else. But I can't lose against myself"

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:04 pm

With the dialogue Jacky and the ref have about how they can't leave, is similar in the dub. Hence I thought it was just Funi making a joke at first.

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Re: Herms' Huge Project (Viz translation review)--DB vol.5!

Post by russ869 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:26 am

Herms wrote: [**]
In the original Goku calls the 4-star ball his memento/keepsake (katami) of his grandfather, but Viz has him call it his grandfather’s “last possession”. Is this just another way of saying memento that I’m unfamiliar with?
Does "katami" have the connotation that the person who gave it to you has died? Because if so that would explain why they translated it as such.

For example, I heard this word used in Yuu Yuu Hakusho.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Herms' Huge Project (Viz translation review)--DB vol.5!

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:02 pm

russ869 wrote:
Herms wrote: [**]
In the original Goku calls the 4-star ball his memento/keepsake (katami) of his grandfather, but Viz has him call it his grandfather’s “last possession”. Is this just another way of saying memento that I’m unfamiliar with?
Does "katami" have the connotation that the person who gave it to you has died? Because if so that would explain why they translated it as such.

For example, I heard this word used in Yuu Yuu Hakusho.
Need to watch that in Japanese one of these days.

And it was his older brother who fought Kuwabara.