Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:32 am

Bussani wrote:
Wasted Wisher wrote:Don't know anything about the intro and ending song yet, or anything past episode 1.
All of the scenes that were being worked on so far are not being cropped...in fact, quite the reverse, they're being extended. The old format of the original footage is too small to fit the standard frame sizes used for anime nowadays. So all the artwork has to be extended outwards to fit the new frame sizes; this includes both the animation itself and the background art.
That's a huge undertaking.
So this means a lot of reworked art? Cause they can't be so little professional that they just extend the picture, or can they?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:36 am

Son Sebbe wrote:&Kei17
May I just go off topic a momment?
I might have missed it, but what is your soruce kei? I'm not saying it's false, but I saw you got stuff from jump before...
So how do you get those?
Do you work for them shonen jump? I thought about the same with the one piece spoilers comming out before the magazine.
The image put in the first post of this thread is from 2 channel, the biggest Japanese Internet forum. There are poeple leak some pieces of information on Weekly Jump being released in the next week in that site. Other scans are done by me, since I am a native Japanese and living in Japan. :wink:

In addition, the image I put this time is not from Weekly Jump. It's V Jump and already released.
Last edited by kei17 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:37 am

sangofe wrote:
Bussani wrote:
Wasted Wisher wrote:Don't know anything about the intro and ending song yet, or anything past episode 1.
All of the scenes that were being worked on so far are not being cropped...in fact, quite the reverse, they're being extended. The old format of the original footage is too small to fit the standard frame sizes used for anime nowadays. So all the artwork has to be extended outwards to fit the new frame sizes; this includes both the animation itself and the background art.
That's a huge undertaking.
So this means a lot of reworked art? Cause they can't be so little professional that they just extend the picture, or can they?
I honestly have no idea how you would go about doing something like this.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:58 am

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29 ... i_high.jpg

I prefer The Time Traveller's logo, myself. :P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:13 am

Bussani wrote:I honestly have no idea how you would go about doing something like this.
It is called to stretch image in order to fit 16:9. I just wanted to make totally sure this will not happen.
Last edited by sangofe on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:19 am

kei17 wrote:This says that they will cut most of the fillers and BGM will totally be re-recorded.

Edit:
Another page I haven't scanned yet says that they will carry Manga version of 2008 Special on V Jump. It's not drawn by Akira Toriyama.
Hellz yeah. Is the mangaka for the special anybody we'd know? Do they say who it is?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:19 am

sangofe wrote:It is called to stretch image in order to fit 16:9. I just wanted to make totally sure this will not happen.
Oh yeah, I know they could do that, but I doubt that's it... That would look weird. Who knows, though? The other way is a ridiculous amount of work.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:26 am

B wrote:
kei17 wrote:This says that they will cut most of the fillers and BGM will totally be re-recorded.

Edit:
Another page I haven't scanned yet says that they will carry Manga version of 2008 Special on V Jump. It's not drawn by Akira Toriyama.
Hellz yeah. Is the mangaka for the special anybody we'd know? Do they say who it is?
Mangaka is オオイシナホ (Ooishi Naho), who never drawn manga under this name.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:08 am

kei17 wrote:http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29 ... i_high.jpg

This says that they will cut most of the fillers and BGM will totally be re-recorded.
Finally some confirmation. :D

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:10 am

For some reason, I'm reading "cut most of fillers" as "the driving episode is still here."
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:28 am

The Tori-bot wrote:http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29 ... i_high.jpg

I prefer The Time Traveller's logo, myself. :P
Because it had a more electric look? That was from all the extra black on their, and I thought EVERYTHING other than the obvious red and yellow stuff was meant to be blue.

Also, here's a PNG version of the logo for those who want to use it and don't want to bother working around that AWESOME scan kei17 posted.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:20 pm

Home page updated with Julian's translations of stuff and a few extra comments.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Son Sebbe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Sebbe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:48 pm

kei17 wrote:
B wrote:

Edit:
Mangaka is オオイシナホ (Ooishi Naho), who never drawn manga under this name.
It's not the one of those fancy coloured bunches of paper?
http://www.kanzentai.com/film_comics.php?id=jc
I actually got carlsen (Danish, German, Sweedish and norway manga puplisher) to ask Shueisha if they would puplish any book format thing about the special, and they said no... But...

And then, How do they keep getting the scans on those forums? Don't the jump puplichers care about it being leaked? or is it the puplishers who leaks it? (I mean, week after week, for years...)
And could you scan it for us?

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Home page updated with Julian's translations of stuff and a few extra comments.
Sweetness. I wish they'd clarify whether they're only speeding up the beginning of the Saiya-jin saga, or if they really are going to condense the entire show?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:30 pm

The tittle of Dragon Ball Z Story for Nintendo DS has also changed to "Dragon Ball Kai: Saiyajin Shuurai".

And here, the page about Manga of DBZ 2008 Special.
This will be released on March 21st.

Last edited by kei17 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:43 pm

Have I ever told you how awesome you are kei17? :)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:00 pm

I'm.....going to need an avatar of that Vegeta with the scouter.

:D

Awesomeness. For the next two years we'll be able to experience the thrill of weekly releases not seen since the actual broadcasting of the series in Japan.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:07 pm

Haha, I'm next to Vegeta! But seriously, what's with that B? What doe the kanji say on it?

And next to Majin Vegeta's smirk, that's got to be the best Vegeta art I've seen of him. I'd love a full body sheet of that, maybe as a poster.

LSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by LSSJ4 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:30 pm

So is this how future products will be now? with Kai in it's name? It feels to me like Toei is completely ridding the Z.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:31 pm

Jumpin' the gun there.