Dragon Ball: Evolution- Speculation and Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:24 pm

jda95 wrote:I meant yes, the movie has changed, but what right do people who don't know the series have to make stupid comments based on their lacking knowledge?
Um, maybe because to them, they don't lack any knowledge? DBZ is all they know.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:16 pm

Why is Piccolo the bad guy, he was a good guy on the show?
It's funny, I hear that a lot to. But honestly even if all you seen was DBZ, Piccolo does mention his past more then once. I guess its "less then casual fans" who would ask this I guess.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:28 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Why is Piccolo the bad guy, he was a good guy on the show?
It's funny, I hear that a lot to. But honestly even if all you seen was DBZ, Piccolo does mention his past more then once. I guess its "less then casual fans" who would ask this I guess.
He mentions his past like once or twice in the dub. And he never goes into detail. They cut out almost everything detailing piccolo's past.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:39 pm

They cut out almost everything detailing piccolo's past.
I think they did actually have a whole flashback segment about King Piccolo and how Goku destroyed him, in one episode.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:40 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
I think they did actually have a whole flashback segment about King Piccolo and how Goku destroyed him, in one episode.
there was some flashback segment where saichoro was talking to either Gohan or Krillin and it dealt with Kami splitting in two and all kinds of junk happening that was cut from the original Season 2 dub.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

samuraigundam
Not-So-Newbie

Post by samuraigundam » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:54 am

I am posting this again because I've been told that I did not leave a space after every punctuation mark, and that makes it difficult to read. Also, I wanted to get Omae no kaasans attention to see what he thought about my opinion on that ending scene from the film.

@ Omae no kaasan

There was a scene ( similar to that ending scene from this film ) in the DBZ Anime that showed how Kami excised Daimao ( his evil side ) while sick, and writhing in bed. In the final scene of this film, could it be that Daimao is about to split into two, the same way he split from Kami in the Manga and Anime?

Speaking of which, does Kami appear in this film in any way? Is he even mentioned?

Maybe Piccolo jr. will split from Daimao's body, instead of hatching from an egg, as in the source material. It would be pretty cool if Ma jr. were to split from Daimao, then turn around and kill him immediately, in my opinion.

An alternate scenario would be that, if Kami is neither seen or mentioned in this film, instead of Piccolo jr. splitting from Daimao, Kami emerges instead.
Together!
Allegiance or Death!!
BIG FIRE!!!
-The Magnificent Ten,Giant Robo

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:45 am

Kendamu wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
there was some flashback segment where saichoro was talking to either Gohan or Krillin and it dealt with Kami splitting in two and all kinds of junk happening that was cut from the original Season 2 dub.
Even the uncut version doesn't go into detail though. It speaks briefly of Piccolo's origins, but it doesn't talk about his fight with Goku. And if it does, it's only one line. You don't get the whole picture, that's all I'm saying.

The entire inner struggle Piccolo had. in the Android saga, before fusing with Kami, is just not there. So there's one example of what I'm saying.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:59 am

Innagadadavida wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote: I think they did actually have a whole flashback segment about King Piccolo and how Goku destroyed him, in one episode.
Even the uncut version doesn't go into detail though. It speaks briefly of Piccolo's origins, but it doesn't talk about his fight with Goku. And if it does, it's only one line. You don't get the whole picture, that's all I'm saying.

The entire inner struggle Piccolo had. in the Android saga, before fusing with Kami, is just not there. So there's one example of what I'm saying.
No, there was an instance in DBZ when they showed Goku's Oozaru Fist killing Piccolo...I remember because it was a dub plothole because in Dragon Ball they edited it to make it not look so bad but it was unedited in the DBZ flashback.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:04 am

B wrote:Um, maybe because to them, they don't lack any knowledge? DBZ is all they know.
It's still stupid. Asking questions is one thing, but I wouldn't pass judgment when I'm not that familiar with the series. But then, people holding strong opinions on things they know nothing about is what makes the world go round.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:27 am

I'm not saying those people are right, it's just stupid to call them stupid, when the proper term would be ignorant. They don't KNOW that they barely know a third of the series.

Thank the various American marketing strategies for Z for that.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:32 pm

DB is marketed in so many different ways that most people think it's something it's not.

For example FUNi promotes it as this hard-core R-rated foreign anime. And you know, it's not.

Then when these people see Dragonball for the first time they call it gay.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:15 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
There's also a flashback in Season 3.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:19 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:
Kendamu wrote: there was some flashback segment where saichoro was talking to either Gohan or Krillin and it dealt with Kami splitting in two and all kinds of junk happening that was cut from the original Season 2 dub.

No, there was an instance in DBZ when they showed Goku's Oozaru Fist killing Piccolo...I remember because it was a dub plothole because in Dragon Ball they edited it to make it not look so bad but it was unedited in the DBZ flashback.
Not Demon King Piccolo. I meant Junior. The Z Piccolo. But now that I think about it there was a little bit about that fight in the flashback where Roshi is talking to Yajirobe.

But it changed a bunch of stuff. It said that "By that time, Goku had fallen in love with Chi-Chi." And that was after they said Tao was a general and Gero was the mastermind of the Red Ribbon Army. And Goku let him go because he's just a nice guy.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:43 pm

There was a scene ( similar to that ending scene from this film ) in the DBZ Anime that showed how Kami excised Daimao ( his evil side ) while sick, and writhing in bed. In the final scene of this film, could it be that Daimao is about to split into two, the same way he split from Kami in the Manga and Anime?
He said nothing and didn't look like he was in pain. He just had a strange expressionless look on his face.

And honestly, if they didn't bother to consider adding things like the Oozaru image as Goku collided with Piccolo, I doubt they'd be aware of an obscure anime scene or even attempt to recreate it.
Speaking of which, does Kami appear in this film in any way? Is he even mentioned?
They say 'god' one time but never make any clear distinction between the Kami we know or anyone's personal god.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:49 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:And honestly, if they didn't bother to consider adding things like the Oozaru image as Goku collided with Piccolo, I doubt they'd be aware of an obscure anime scene or even attempt to recreate it.
This tangently reminds me: some people were saying that the movie's explanation of the origin of the dragonballs was kind of similiar to a filler explanation given early on in the DB anime. In the filler, originally a single dragonball was created by the gods, but was split into seven when people got too greedy. And then apparently there was something about a chosen one who would come and bring harmony to the dragonballs, although this part might have only been in the Funi dub. Does any of that sound similiar to the movie's version of things?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:47 pm

It seems here in New Zealand we're getting more promotional stuff than the US. We've had a poster in the cinema for weeks now and Burger King just started giving out Dragon Ball Evolution toys. I picked up two of them today; Goku II (there are 2 Gokus, Goku I's gi is orange) and Mai.

As you can see, they're pretty low quality. The Mai is especially odd looking. Goku you spin around by turning the little wheel at the bottom and Mai you can make float up and down by moving the 3-star dragon ball at the back.

What's interesting to note is that the little booklet that comes with them simply says 'Dragonball' on the front. No Evolution.

That aside, I'm left wondering just where these things have come from. Why do we have them already? Will the US get the same molds? Are these things out in BK Japan already maybe? I have no idea!

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:13 pm

This tangently reminds me: some people were saying that the movie's explanation of the origin of the dragonballs was kind of similiar to a filler explanation given early on in the DB anime. In the filler, originally a single dragonball was created by the gods, but was split into seven when people got too greedy. And then apparently there was something about a chosen one who would come and bring harmony to the dragonballs, although this part might have only been in the Funi dub. Does any of that sound similiar to the movie's version of things?
That's a great question. I'll have to plead the 5th because I can't give an honest answer and I don't want people to jump on defending the film or bashing it on my word. That's because I don't recall their explanation because I let a LOT of stuff just slide in one ear and out the other.

I do recall something about seven elders prepping a Mafuuba but I don't want to say that had ANYTHING to do with DBalls.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:25 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:
That's a great question. I'll have to plead the 5th because I can't give an honest answer and I don't want people to jump on defending the film or bashing it on my word. That's because I don't recall their explanation because I let a LOT of stuff just slide in one ear and out the other.

I do recall something about seven elders prepping a Mafuuba but I don't want to say that had ANYTHING to do with DBalls.
Um dude, it's even in the trailer.

"Seven mystics banded together to fight the invaders. They created the Dragon Balls."
- Master Roshi

In the script there's more detail: "before they died they created the Dragon Balls, so that their power, in the form of Shen Long the Dragon God, may be used against a future threat." (paraphrasing).
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:50 pm

Um dude, it's even in the trailer.

"Seven mystics banded together to fight the invaders. They created the Dragon Balls."
- Master Roshi

In the script there's more detail: "before they died they created the Dragon Balls, so that their power, in the form of Shen Long the Dragon God, may be used against a future threat." (paraphrasing).
Although I recalled that from the trailer, I think Herms was asking to see if that changed or expanded since then which...I really can't answer. I honestly wasn't paying attention. The start of the film just barrages the viewer with information and so much of it is bogus, THAT stole my attention. Especially the part where they detail Piccolo's original assault on Earth with the aid of Oozaru XXXXX years ago. I mean, do you know what that implies? Piccolo came to Earth with ANOTHER Saiyan that many years ago.

What?

And that's how the movie starts.

Not to mention they removed the nifty zoom-out from the sun with the solar flare resembling the original DB intro. Which just baffled me.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:56 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:
Not to mention they removed the nifty zoom-out from the sun with the solar flare resembling the original DB intro. Which just baffled me.
That's a shame. Hopefully they'll include that trailer on the DVD. I want to use it in my DBE fanedit.