Dragon Ball Kai ending

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Dragon Ball Kai ending

Post by Travis Touchdown » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:22 am

So I just heard a rumor that Dragon Ball Kai will end at the end of the Frieza saga. Does anyone know if that's true or not?

I mean, I know the series is only planned for 100 episodes, but I wondered just how much faster the story would progress without all the filler to make it closer to the manga. Since you could read a whole chapter in the manga in about 5 minutes, which was usually extended to 30 minutes for an episode of Z, I was wondering if they were going to be able to squeeze all of Z into Kai.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:41 am

If it does, then it is the best rendition of DBZ ever.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Kai ending

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:52 am

Travis Touchdown wrote:So I just heard a rumor that Dragon Ball Kai will end at the end of the Freeza saga. Does anyone know if that's true or not?

I mean, I know the series is only planned for 100 episodes, but I wondered just how much faster the story would progress without all the filler to make it closer to the manga. Since you could read a whole chapter in the manga in about 5 minutes, which was usually extended to 30 minutes for an episode of Z, I was wondering if they were going to be able to squeeze all of Z into Kai.
If it does perhaps, they will provide a different name for another 100 episodes, instead of Kai it will be something else.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:53 am

Well, the 100 episodes thing is a rumor too. But it might be a good guess. As far as we can tell, the first month of episodes (the first 4) cover roughly the first volume of the manga (going by the tankoubon numbering). Since there are 26 tankoubon, if they keep up the same pace (though I expect it to vary quite a lot) that's 26 months, aka 104 episodes. So assuming they do all of Z, it's not a bad guess.

I don't think we've seen anything to indicate that they would stop at the Freeza saga, officially. That rumor started a while ago somehow. The fact that the opening only seems to go up to the Freeza saga might be seen as evidence by some people, but I just think it means the opening will change.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:44 am

I did the math, the first episode took up a recap and 2 manga chapters, if every episode takes up 3 manga chapters and no fillers the whole thing would fit in 105 episodes, all the way to the majin Buu saga

Also they never said 100 episodes, they said approximately to 100 episodes
Last edited by Rod on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:46 am

Travis Touchdown wrote:So I just heard a rumor that Dragon Ball Kai will end at the end of the Freeza saga. Does anyone know if that's true or not?

At this rate, they're covering a whole chapter of the manga in about 1/3 of an episode, so they will probably finish the Freeza Arc long before episode 100.

I'm pretty sure this is just a rumor.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:57 am

Rod wrote:Also they never said 100 episodes, they said approximately to 100 episodes
As I already said, the 100 episodes thing is totally a rumor. Nothing officially has been said at all, other than 'it will develop more speedily'.
Also around this time, rumors originating on the popular Japanese message board "2chan" stated that the series would be reduced from its original run of 291 episodes down to approximately 100 episodes. While information would continue to come out to lend support to this rumor, no official communications or information sources had explicitly stated anything along these lines (in fact, it would not be until later in the month that the phrase "develop more speedily!" would come out of a Jump scan, itself still not completely describing what would be taking place with any possible cuts to the story).
http://daizex.com/general/tidbits/kai.shtml

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:36 am

Bussani wrote:
Rod wrote:Also they never said 100 episodes, they said approximately to 100 episodes
As I already said, the 100 episodes thing is totally a rumor. Nothing officially has been said at all, other than 'it will develop more speedily'.
Also around this time, rumors originating on the popular Japanese message board "2chan" stated that the series would be reduced from its original run of 291 episodes down to approximately 100 episodes. While information would continue to come out to lend support to this rumor, no official communications or information sources had explicitly stated anything along these lines (in fact, it would not be until later in the month that the phrase "develop more speedily!" would come out of a Jump scan, itself still not completely describing what would be taking place with any possible cuts to the story).
It seems pretty acurate like I point out in my previous post, but I could be wrong

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:57 am

Rod wrote:
Bussani wrote:
It seems pretty acurate like I point out in my previous post, but I could be wrong
I'm just saying, they didn't say anything. Any episode numbers are guesses right now.

Edit: And if you look up, I came up with the same estimate as you, so I'm not saying you're wrong.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:12 pm

The simple answer is, we don't know. No official statements have been made about either fact. At this point they're both rumors and should be treated as such. Though if I had to guess, I would say they're doing all of Z, considering it's supposed to be "closer to Toriyama's manga". If they manga ended after the Freeza, then I'd say it's a possibility, but I didn't. And now that I've set myself up for the dreaded "Toriyama had planned on ending the manga after the Freeza arc", I'll say "No he didn't". There's never been any official statement to support this and is simply a fan rumor.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:35 pm

Yes, one official statement is known by now, and that is that I will be really pissed of If they will end the series anywhere before Buu Saga
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Masako-kun
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masako-kun » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:04 pm

Well judging from the initial pace from Episode 1, it'll certainly be less than 200 episodes for sure.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:17 pm

If it went in line with the manga, people are predicting between 2 and 3 chapters per episode. If it's closer to 3 chapters an episode, then it should take a little over 100 episodes to finish the whole series, including Boo.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

GotenZ1
Patreon Supporter

Post by GotenZ1 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:10 am

I know exactly when Kai will end:
When Toei decides it's not making enough money.

If the ratings the first episode pulled stay at that pace, then I think Kai will be around until the end....although, stranger things have happened. :P
My short animated film (has some violence): http://youtu.be/ovT8mbYE85E

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:54 am

GotenZ1 wrote:I know exactly when Kai will end:
When Toei decides it's not making enough money.

If the ratings the first episode pulled stay at that pace, then I think Kai will be around until the end....although, stranger things have happened. :P
So the ratings were good? That's good to hear. I think it makes more Dragon Ball related media more likely.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:00 am

Rocketman wrote:If it does, then it is the best rendition of DBZ ever.
Saiyaman and Videl say "Y HALO THAR".
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:00 am

Well, the "holy shit new Dragonball series" factor definitely affected the ratings for the first episode. We have to give it some time and see if people actually stick around.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!