Episode #0172 (12 April 2009)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0172 (12 April 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:28 pm

Episode #0172 (download MP3) (rss feed)
71:38; 64 kbps, mono; 32.7 MB

Episode #0172! VegettoEX and Meri bring on a slew of guests to discuss the movie we have all been anticipating in some way for what feels like years -- "DragonBall Evolution". A group of fans and non-fans give their take on the movie as a whole, its acting, script, special effects, and worth. No matter what you think will be said, it's guaranteed that you'll be surprised in some way. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the silly *one-hundred-seventy-two* episodes, now.

As a bit of help, as introduced from the start of the show:

- Meri
- Jeff
- Andrew
- Albert
- Meghan
- Joy
- Bryce
- Scott
- Mike

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:32 pm

The big one indeed.

Is this Scott feller the same one from a previous podcast?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:51 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The big one indeed.

Is this Scott feller the same one from a previous podcast?
Yeah, same one.

Anyways, its sounding good.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:31 pm

It was nice to hear from Bryce, Andrew, and especially Scott again. You guys had some great points, and sounded like you guys had a great time.

I still haven't seen the film, and I probably won't for another week. But after listening to the podcast, I feel a little better about it.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:56 pm

Wow some of you may have liked the movie more than I did.

This is the best episode you have done I think, I like the new people.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:10 pm

Totally agree with the final fight thing with Oozaru, it was the perfect set up for the final punch; Goku monologues: I am Goku, I am Oozaru, I must become one to defeat you, and then...nothing

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:31 pm

The following statements I will make may (and probably will be) offensive and I know some of them will refer to simple honest opinions made on this podcast to which I probably have no right to criticise.

For me this episode (overall) has got to be the worst one of DaizenshuuEX I have listened to so far. Why? I really don't know exactly the reason for why I am displeased but if I had to take a long shot, I would say the lack of seriousness. I know it's harder to stay serious with such a large group of people doing a podcast and that one of the traits of this podcast is entertainment, but this time it felt a bit of overkill. Sure I had some grins myself but soon noticed it was just guilty pleasure. There seems to be the notion that every time Evolution is brought up ''the podcast dies''---meaning that people will have so many critics on said stuff that the situation will get out of hand. Although hard to notice, but this attitude was present. So you treat it lightheartedly and hope the whole thing will sway over. I will also state that on this podcast I have heard nothing that I hadn't read on the forum or thought of myself before. This would actually mean this podcast was a great success since it managed to squeeze the torrents of debates into just a single podcast covering most of the fan base, which would be a great listen to people who don't visit the forum. So I may just be discontent about wasting 70 minutes listening to something I already knew. Heck, maybe the review with Julian was enough. And then this episode lost all of it's credibility for me when people were prompted to make a choice between Evolution and Legend of Chun Li, and they hesitated when the choice should have clearly been Evolution (again, simple honest opinions to which I probably have no right to criticise, but Chun Li was an insult right in the face of humanity and you guys should know it). Please notice that as a standalone I'm not defending Evolution here nor did I ever have.

Anyway, I can totally understand and respect how some people can find this movie enjoyable but still think the podcast should have been handled ala review omae no kaasan. Yes, some points from his review were mentioned which would be the only highlight this episode. I guess deep down inside I hoped for this movie to be good somehow but I got burned really bad. Thus I pity myself for judging people over this.
All in all....lots of unfairness from my side ...disgust over the whole outcome of Evolution as a product...and probably not going to listen to the PSP review or anything that matters with Evolution anymore and finally wait for it to pass over.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:54 pm

Son Wukong wrote: There seems to be the notion that every time Evolution is brought up ''the podcast dies''---meaning that people will have so many critics on said stuff that the situation will get out of hand.
Actually the idea that mentioning Evolution will kill the podcast refers to the fact that several times in the past when it has been brought up in some way, the recording equipment would go haywire. Most of the material from one episode was lost that way, and Desire also had problems when recording the special bootleg wedding podcast. It's all just a coincidence of course, but that's where the idea of an Evolution podcast curse got started.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:18 pm

Son Wukong wrote:...I am displeased but if I had to take a long shot, I would say the lack of seriousness. I know it's harder to stay serious with such a large group of people doing a podcast and that one of the traits of this podcast is entertainment, but this time it felt a bit of overkill...
I can understand this, but I'd rather have them lighten the mood for me so I don't have to take it too seriously either. I really don't want to take this film too seriously since, like you said, we know exactly what it's really gonna be like. I think I will enjoy the movie once I see it, and this podcast has helped me with that.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:19 pm

Good show, sounds like you guys had a blast. I tried to convince my best friend to hit up a midnight showing just for the hell of it, but we both ended up thinking better of it.

One thing that did occur to me as I listened is how DBE has the same kind of holes in exposition as the original dub of DragonBall Z had. For those watching the Ocean dub back in 1996, a lot of stuff didn't make sense (and the scenes designed to explain these gaps were cut, like those explaining Piccolo's link to Kami and the like). Of course, Ocean's DragonBall Z had the excuse back then of FUNi having skipped 140 episodes of DragonBall ;p

-Corey

Sunlight & City Night
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sunlight & City Night » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:47 pm

I've just finished listening to the show. Excellent work this week everyone!

I have to nod my head in agreement with some earlier posts claiming this was one of the best episodes of the podcast ever.
It certainly made me chuckle on a lot of occasions and I heard some great points being made.

I'm pretty relived that you guys for the most part felt the same was I did about the movie.

Anyway great work and I'm looking forward to the next episode as always!
"HEAD CHA LA!"
------------------------
DBO - Pauten - Server 1
------------------------
http://sonpauten.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=539041065
http://twitter.com/#!/sonPauten

samuraigundam
Not-So-Newbie

Post by samuraigundam » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:51 pm

Truthfully, if I had never heard of this site, or searched for it online, I would not have known of this movies existence.

I have not seen a single commercial for this film. I was almost certain it was pushed back until I checked the boards here.

Come on, even that heartbreaking Street Fighter movie had a few commercials, but Funimation couldnt spend some of the fortune they made from this franchise on more publicity?
Together!
Allegiance or Death!!
BIG FIRE!!!
-The Magnificent Ten,Giant Robo

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:13 pm

samuraigundam wrote: Come on, even that heartbreaking Street Fighter movie had a few commercials, but Funimation couldnt spend some of the fortune they made from this franchise on more publicity?
I don't think Funimation had anything to do with the movie.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:31 pm

Sedorna wrote:
samuraigundam wrote: Come on, even that heartbreaking Street Fighter movie had a few commercials, but Funimation couldnt spend some of the fortune they made from this franchise on more publicity?
No they did not. It's all FOX.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:44 pm

Great episode. Helped me cope with some drama during an easter dinner at my grandparents'. (My godfather is a nasty, despicable doucheclown. Nuff said.)

I don't entirely agree with some of the points made (I actually did enjoy Emmy as Bulma, and I was very unsatisfied with Chow Yun Fat's various screwups.), but I think most of what you all said, I can agree with.

And as for it not being very "serious", I think that's one of the reasons I love the show AND the site. It's Dragonball discussion, but in a very laidback form. The little in-jokes and such are one of the joys of the show for me. (Besides, it's not like you or me are being forced to listen, SW.)
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:09 pm

Well, always fearing for my life whenever I click into the DBE thread, I guess this is a better place than any to comment on your guys' comments as well as bring up some of my own. I pretty much took notes on Word while listening to the episode and expanded on them afterward, so apologies if it comes off like I'm jumping from topic to topic, since well... I am.

Right from the get-go, it was pretty weird that the beginning immediately showed Piccolo and Oozaru. I was always under the impression that those two characters especially were, at one point or another, kept heavily under wraps since they're one of the more "out there" designs that the movie would have had to try and pull off in live action. So to have both characters literally being the first things you see on screen once the movie starts was quite the shock for me.

Talking about "mentally preparing" yourself before watching the movie was pretty true. I think in general in the case of something being loosely adapted to something else relies on people having to take away all biases. Stuff like "oh, this isn't the Goku I know" really just comes off as people not giving any kind of new change a chance. Granted, Goku's character was heavily changed from the original, but that doesn't mean that the Goku portrayed in the movie must be downright hated. If anything, it seems like they made a good amount of changes for the sake of raking in a broader audience. Whether that was a successful move or not... well, I'll bring that up later.

I agree that the Fullum attack scene was just so dark and choppy. During that entire scene, I was expecting the Fullum to eventually be in a clearer shot, but was disappointed when they just cut to the following scene.

Besides Roshi, I think she was one of the characters that best resembles her manga/anime counterpart. While she's smart, she uses her feminine wiles when she has to, but can also be pretty crafty as well. Seriously, the whole throwing of the capsule was one of the better parts of the movie. It's always nice to have something brought up early in the movie brought up again near the end :D.

I also agree that the bug at the beginning did look pretty robotic. Though do you think that's a possible foreshadowing to Red Ribbon and Gero's spectator bugs following Goku around? Though that would be quite some planning ahead if that was true.

Shenron was pretty weird. I remember reading in an article that just seeing the dragon burst out from the skies and noticing how he's so massive that you can't even see his entire self without the camera having to pan out so much in the manga and anime came off as just so fantastic... and now we have some kinda lizard thing that pops out and shrinks back into some kind of dimensional hole in the movie? Kinda lame. Honestly, the could have just kept his original design, since they know damn well they'd be CG-ing most if not all of him.

While I was entertained by the smaller scale fight scenes at the party and at Roshi's place, the final fight with Goku and Piccolo, while on a grander scale, didn't come off as so grand to me. Maybe it was because their powers seemed more weakened to me, similar to how some people talk about how Superman's powers have been weakened over time. The problem is grand scale fights define the Dragon Ball series, that when I saw how they did them in the movie, I was pretty let down since I assumed that those fights would be one of the easier things to pull off. In particular, having Goku not finish off or even check if Piccolo was really dead seemed surprising to me. Then again, I guess if he did that, we wouldn't end up with our awesome post-end-credits scene :P.

Seriously, the after credits scene was pretty... awkward. Throughout the whole movie, things seemed so rushed, so it was just so weird to have them take their sweet time on this one scene. And yes, Piccolo seemed pretty well tucked into that bed. I can't even guess as to why some random person would decide to take some bruised leather-suited green thing in.

There were actually a crapton of stuff concerning Piccolo that needed some explanation. As mentioned, he seemed perfectly capable of blowing up cities and demolishing old people's houses with the clench of a fist, so why did he need the dragon balls at all? It couldn't have been to regain his youth, like in the series. And having him just say that he needs them to "take vengeance upon the Earth" is just so vague. In that sense, the movie kinda came off as one of those nineties action movies. I wanna say it's similar to the live action Ninja Turtles flick for that reason, but I haven't seen that movie in so long, and I honestly think that that one holds up slightly better than DBE.

I know it was mentioned when Julian was on, but the whole thing with the fake Chi-Chi sneaking out of Goku’s bed was pretty iffy. It's stuff like that that really makes me ask just who the audience the movie was aimed for, which I think all movies, this one especially, have to clarify. I mean sure, you have somewhat recent PG movies like The Incredibles that get away with innuendo-ish stuff, too, but that movie ended up being pretty far reaching in terms of their audience. DBE being what it is really should have clearly specified just who their audience would be while fleshing out the movie.

You guys mentioned how it seemed weird that they never made a connection on who made the dragon balls, but I thought it was explicitly explained that the monks were the creators of the dragon balls for this movie.

I really like how you guys brought Speed Racer into the discussion. Its live-action movie is a perfect example of a movie that gave in to a certain demographic of fans and rolled with it. While it bombed in the box office, I personally thought it was rather enjoyable. It pretty much took the "typical" fair weather fan's perception of the series and rolled with it. It's not exactly sort of movie I'd buy right when it came out, but I'd definitely pick it up for around $10 or less if presented with the chance to.

I went to the midnight showing in my area, and the audience was pretty well... predictable: there were your standard college students (myself included) that grew up with the series, the raucous college students who wanted to catch a standard fighting movie, the younger fan that was accompanied by his parents, and the older (read: ooolder) fans that were probably introduced to the series while they were in college themselves. And comparing that to the audience the movie was supposedly aiming for, I agree that the intended audience was significantly different from the actual audience. I personally think they should have stuck with trying to appeal whoever they thought were the majority of hardcore fans out there like Andrew mentioned.

But yeah, all in all I personally thought it was a nice, basic popcorn flick. Though maybe it was because the previous movie I watched in theaters was Knowing, which was horrendous, so I ended up just comparing the two. I was actually planning on typing up an actual formal review of DBE, but I just couldn't do it without going off either covering one rant or another or just completely being generic about my opinions on the movie.

All I can really say, though, is that it's an alright movie if you go into it ignoring all your biases and whatnot.
Son Wukong wrote:For me this episode (overall) has got to be the worst one of DaizenshuuEX I have listened to so far. Why? I really don't know exactly the reason for why I am displeased but if I had to take a long shot, I would say the lack of seriousness. [...] I will also state that on this podcast I have heard nothing that I hadn't read on the forum or thought of myself before.
I gotta say that these were the exact reasons I wasn't that big when the daizEX crew covered the remastered GT sets. It's just one episode out of (counts) a crapton, though, so it's not like it's a bad thing or anything. It's just one of those things is all.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:18 pm

I think this episode had a "too many cooks in the kitchen" thing going on. There were so many people in this one, and, as a result, not everyone got a chance to talk. I think four people is the maximum anyone should have for a podcast; any more than that and you start getting people who just kind of get introduced at the beginning, says one or two things during the actual podcast itself, and then spend the rest of the time letting everyone else talk.

Quick question: was Hamasaki Ayumi's "Rule" kept for the U.S. release? Or was a different ending song used?
Saiyavenger2941 wrote:I was very unsatisfied with Chow Yun Fat's various screwups
Oh God yes. The way he pronounced "Gohan" kept driving me crazy, *especially* since everyone else in the movie managed to get it right.
Last edited by Dogasu on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

samuraigundam
Not-So-Newbie

Post by samuraigundam » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:18 pm

JAPPO wrote:
Sedorna wrote:
No they did not. It's all FOX.
Whoops.

Dont know why I didnt remember that. Still, I'd think that since Funi owns the distribution rights for the Anime over here, they might at least offer some help in the publicity for this film.

Either way, FOX definitely did not see the potential to pull hapless fans into theaters.
Together!
Allegiance or Death!!
BIG FIRE!!!
-The Magnificent Ten,Giant Robo

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:24 pm

Dogasu wrote:Quick question: was Hamasaki Ayumi's "Rule" kept for the U.S. release? Or was a different ending song used?
An instrumental plays while Goku is riding his scooter to school, and the vocal version plays during the second set of credits.
­

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:27 pm

Dogasu wrote:Quick question: was Hamasaki Ayumi's "Rule" kept for the U.S. release? Or was a different ending song used?
Yep, it's there. I pretty much stayed for the length of the song during the end credits (after that last scene, of course).

And while we're asking questions, was anyone else anticipating a shot of Vegeta and Nappa's space pods heading to Earth as the after-credits scene? I know I was. The way it's set up now, they have to set up Piccolo as a good guy pretty fast if they're to cover the Saiyan Saga in the following movie (if that even comes to fruition).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams