Trunks the bastard child?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Trunks the bastard child?

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:03 pm

This question may come across as being rather stupid but here is goes...

My friend and I were arguing about whether or not Trunks was considered a bastard child. I then realized that I don't remembering Vegeta and Bulma getting married. Was it implied that they were married or was it sorta an open relationship deal?
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Future Trunks says Bulma and Vegeta never married in his timeline. But in the regular timeline, Bulma is eventually referred to as Vegeta's wife. I don't remember the first time this is though. Vegeta calls her his wife right before the final battle with Buu, when he's chewing out Goku for promising to let Elder Kaioshin feel Bulma up. I think there were a few times before that too, but I don't remember.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:27 pm

I think they we're married by the end of the series, but not when he was born, I'm not sure though. Anyone know
Last edited by Rod on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:28 pm

Even if the parents eventually marry, a child born to unmarried parents is a bastard. So yes, both Trunkses are bastards.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:54 pm

Future Trunks mentions that Vegeta didn't bother to rescue his wife and child in the Android saga. So, it's possible they were married before Trunks was born--even though I have a hard time believing that.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:53 am

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:Future Trunks mentions that Vegeta didn't bother to rescue his wife and child in the Android saga. So, it's possible they were married before Trunks was born--even though I have a hard time believing that.
Trunks kind of contradicts himself, though. When he first came back from the future, he said that his parents had never gotten married. When he comes back the second time, he admonishes Vegeta for not rescuing his wife and child, even though there was no way he could have learned anything about their marital status since he had just come from the future. I think he was using it just as a more, shall we say, polite way of referring to Bulma, since he probably didn't want to call her "the woman you knocked up" :lol: It was just more convenient to use "wife", even if he knew it wasn't true.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:13 am

sailorspazz wrote:
Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:Future Trunks mentions that Vegeta didn't bother to rescue his wife and child in the Android saga. So, it's possible they were married before Trunks was born--even though I have a hard time believing that.
Trunks kind of contradicts himself, though. When he first came back from the future, he said that his parents had never gotten married. When he comes back the second time, he admonishes Vegeta for not rescuing his wife and child, even though there was no way he could have learned anything about their marital status since he had just come from the future. I think he was using it just as a more, shall we say, polite way of referring to Bulma, since he probably didn't want to call her "the woman you knocked up" :lol: It was just more convenient to use "wife", even if he knew it wasn't true.
Perhaps. Know I was confused about that when saw that in the manga. (In the dub he doesn't call Bulma Vegeta's wife).

But yeah, they legitimized Trunks eventually after Cell saga and before Buu saga.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:00 pm

I believe that Future Trunks was a bastard child, since it was mentioned that Vegeta and Bulma never married in his timeline. Chibi Trunks is also a bastard child, I think, despite Future Trunks saying that Vegeta didn't bother to rescue his wife and child in the Android Saga. I see this as just as trying to make the situation more apparent to Vegeta, rather than saying "girlfriend" or whatever. Vegeta didn't deny it though, but it's a little thing that passed Vegeta's mind.

I think it was between the 7 years before the Boo Saga that they got married. Which means that Trunks is a bastard in both timelines.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:05 pm

I believe wife is nothing more than an expression used between two people that live together. Even though they are not married Vegeta could call Bulma his wife. Or what would Vegeta call her? Girlfriend!? :P

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:06 pm

Got to say, this thread kind of makes me picture Vegeta and Bulma at the alter with Doc Briefs holding a 12-gauge to Vegeta's back.

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:05 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Got to say, this thread kind of makes me picture Vegeta and Bulma at the alter with Doc Briefs holding a 12-gauge to Vegeta's back.
No, Bulma and Vegeta at the alter with Bulma holding the button to a remote controlling the Gravity room.
"Marry me, If you don't want to see my version of the Big Bang mister.."
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]