My Crazy Daizenshuu Story

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

My Crazy Daizenshuu Story

Post by Forgotten Hero » Fri May 29, 2009 2:10 pm

As we all know, the Daizenshuu are out of print Dragonball encyclopedias. I have been searching for them for a while now, but living on the West coast has been has been a set back on my quest,,,So I only have the first one in English.

Anywho, this past Wednesday (5/27/09) I went to Little Tokyo Los Angles for my school field trip. I know the area really well, as in I have called the stores, organized the trip itself, and I know what new products they will have.

So I was expecting to pick up the two new Super Exciting Guides. I had called Kinokuniya, a Japanese book store, and they had confirmed that would be getting the guides by late May. So when I arrived there....No guides! My super exciting day seemed it was going to be a downer...But I did manage to get the Neko Majin manga with all eight chapters/stories.
Later that day I went to a story know as Anime Jungle. In there something unimaginable happened...I saw Daizenshuu 1, the Japanese one, in shrink wrap looking brand spanking new! I grab the thing and ask the clerk if he's got more and how he got them. He said they just come in the shipments, and he had Daizenshuu 1-4 brand spanking new!!

This book was there too:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i60/s ... C01931.jpg

So I bought Daizenshuu 4, and here it is.
Shernon Times? (below)

Ok, so my reasoning to sharing this is: How did this get here? And how can this thing still be brand new?
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Fri May 29, 2009 2:23 pm

Can I has one plz? XD

Oh my god, you got so lucky man! Congrats! :D

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: My Crazy Daizenshuu Story

Post by Herms » Fri May 29, 2009 2:32 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote:Shernon Times? (below)
Yeah, that's what a Shenron Times looks like. Here's the Kanzentai translation of Shenron Times #4.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri May 29, 2009 3:14 pm

Time travel?

Anyways, that is an awesome story. I don't think I've ever seen that "The Cosmos" scan before. :shock:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri May 29, 2009 3:31 pm

Super jealous! Thanks for sharing. :)

As for how they got there, maybe they’re… not out of print? (*fingers crossed*) Or the more likely scenario, his supplier has copies they never sold and they’re trying to get rid of them.

How much did they go for? Are there more? And if there are… will you buy me some? :P

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri May 29, 2009 3:59 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote: I have been searching for them for a while now, but living on the West coast has been has been a set back on my quest
You clearly don't understand how hard it is to find anything DB related in or around Connecticut, which is on the east coast. I wish I lived in California, from what I understand DB stuff is pretty easy to come by.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Fri May 29, 2009 4:34 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:Super jealous! Thanks for sharing. :)

As for how they got there, maybe they’re… not out of print? (*fingers crossed*) Or the more likely scenario, his supplier has copies they never sold and they’re trying to get rid of them.

How much did they go for? Are there more? And if there are… will you buy me some? :P
I got it for $25, and the other three were $25 as well. I would buy you some, but I still have school and I probably won't head back until July, maybe.
omegacwa wrote:You clearly don't understand how hard it is to find anything DB related in or around Connecticut, which is on the east coast. I wish I lived in California, from what I understand DB stuff is pretty easy to come by.
I do get it. Our cons fucking suck! All the good ones are on the East Coast. Anime Expo is complete shit, and costs an outrageous amount of money. I wanna go to AWA or something.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri May 29, 2009 6:21 pm

Little Tokyo... haven't been there in quite awhile. Guess I'll have to check it out now, thanks man!

I can never find anime jungle T_T
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri May 29, 2009 7:01 pm

That is very cool indeed. And a killer price as well! Congratulations! I myself got a Daizenshuu deal the other day. I got Carddass Perfect File Vol. 2 [Daizenshuu 9] for $5 at Book-off in San Diego!

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri May 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote:
omegacwa wrote:You clearly don't understand how hard it is to find anything DB related in or around Connecticut, which is on the east coast. I wish I lived in California, from what I understand DB stuff is pretty easy to come by.
I do get it. Our cons fucking suck! All the good ones are on the East Coast. Anime Expo is complete shit, and costs an outrageous amount of money. I wanna go to AWA or something.
Well, I can't comment on this as I have only been to one con, animenext, and since they had practically no Db related anything when I went, mind you this was something like 4 years ago, I really had no desire to go again as I hardly give a shit about other animes.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri May 29, 2009 8:01 pm

Show us a picture of the very last page in the book. It'll tell us when the book was printed.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri May 29, 2009 8:04 pm

Man, I've been praying for soooo long now that I run into a situation like this where the goods just fall into your lap... :?

I too live on the west coast, except I live in the absolute middle of nowhere. I don't really live in Seattle (about an hour and a half south of it), and there is frickin' nothing around here.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Fri May 29, 2009 8:40 pm

bkev wrote:Little Tokyo... haven't been there in quite awhile. Guess I'll have to check it out now, thanks man!

I can never find anime jungle T_T
We could meet up some time :)
SonGokuGT wrote:That is very cool indeed. And a killer price as well! Congratulations! I myself got a Daizenshuu deal the other day. I got Carddass Perfect File Vol. 2 [Daizenshuu 9] for $5 at Book-off in San Diego!
Donde esta? Where is Book-off? I've never been there.

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Fri May 29, 2009 9:57 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:That is very cool indeed. And a killer price as well! Congratulations! I myself got a Daizenshuu deal the other day. I got Carddass Perfect File Vol. 2 [Daizenshuu 9] for $5 at Book-off in San Diego!
Holy shit! If you can go back and get another one for me I'll pay you $20. :D
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Fri May 29, 2009 10:32 pm

I checked the back of the Daizenshuu and it was printed in 1995. Sorry guys! No reprint. I wish it were though.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri May 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Hey, lucky you man! I'd love to get my hands on those. Unfortunatly, we don't get shit for Dragon Ball merchandise in the UK.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat May 30, 2009 4:49 am

Krakabeast: I got the last one, sorry! :(

Forgotten Hero: It's off Balboa Ave., next to the Mitsuwa. :)

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sat May 30, 2009 3:17 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:Krakabeast: I got the last one, sorry! :(

Oh! Really? Man I feel dumb!

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat May 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Awesome acquisition. Congrats!

-Corey

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Sat May 30, 2009 6:24 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:Krakabeast: I got the last one, sorry! :(

Damn, spending nearly $100 on Ebay sucks, especially for a book a don't need and cannot read yet. Well it is Dragon Ball........

.....Oh well it's only $100 :lol:
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.