Making a Fan-Made US Dragon Box: The Movies

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Making a Fan-Made US Dragon Box: The Movies

Post by DemonRin » Thu May 14, 2009 6:27 am

Hey all.
For a while, I've been wanting to make myself a DVD Boxed set casing to fit the FUNi movie double features into. I've been wanting to make not only an outer shell, but also new DVD Covers for each individual Double feature, and I've finally gotten the images to work with on it, and I've decided I want Fan-opinions on my design ideas.
So far I only have one, but I want to show it anyway. Just be warned, this isn't a Final BY ANY MEANS, it's a rough I put together really quickly to test the design and layout.
The Fonts are nowhere near final, nor is the design.

EDIT2: Thanks to SSj_Rambo, I now have a working version of the image, thanks!!

It's based heavily on the actual Japanese DragonBox The Movies, with some new Images from a recent calendar for good measure.
What do you guys think? Criticism is welcome, but please make it constructive criticism. None of that "That Sucks, You suck, Go away because you Suck" kinda stuff please.
Last edited by DemonRin on Thu May 14, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Son Sebbe
Beyond Newbie

Re: Making a Fan-Made US Dragon Box: The Movies

Post by Son Sebbe » Thu May 14, 2009 1:38 pm

DemonRin wrote:Hey all.
For a while, I've been wanting to make myself a DVD Boxed set casing to fit the FUNi movie double features into. I've been wanting to make not only an outer shell, but also new DVD Covers for each individual Double feature, and I've finally gotten the images to work with on it, and I've decided I want Fan-opinions on my design ideas.
So far I only have one, but I want to show it anyway. Just be warned, this isn't a Final BY ANY MEANS, it's a rough I put together really quickly to test the design and layout.
The Fonts are nowhere near final, nor is the design.

< image quote snipped by administrator >

EDIT: The image is being screwy and isn't showing up for everyone... SOME people it does... some it doesn't... If it's not working can someone let me know?...

It's based heavily on the actual Japanese DragonBox The Movies, with some new Images from a recent calendar for good measure.
What do you guys think? Criticism is welcome, but please make it constructive criticism. None of that "That Sucks, You suck, Go away because you Suck" kinda stuff please.
xD

My plan is to make a dub box...

Anyway I can't see the image...
[quote="B"][quote="SHINOBI-03"][quote="B"]My pet cat died the same way Goku dies for the first time. [/quote]
Peirced by a Makankosappo?! :shock:[/quote]
Well, my friend was holding it, and I just happened to be fooling around with my mom's pistol...[/quote]

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Making a Fan-Made US Dragon Box: The Movies

Post by Big Momma » Thu May 14, 2009 6:30 pm

DemonRin wrote: Criticism is welcome, but please make it constructive criticism. None of that "That Sucks, You suck, Go away because you Suck" kinda stuff please.
Aw, c'mon! This is Daizenshuu EX! you're posting at! You know we aren't like that! :wink:

But, yeah, I can't see the image. Might I suggest photobucket?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Daijuken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Daijuken » Thu May 14, 2009 6:51 pm

It looks promising for an early draft. I look foward to seeing later designs. Nice work!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu May 14, 2009 6:51 pm

E-mail me the image and I'll get it uploaded for 'ya if you want.

Anyway, sounds like a good idea. I've always wanted to do something similar to this, but where each movie has an alternate angle for the whole feature, which contains FUNi's footage, and there is a universal Japanese audio track (the one from the Dragon Box, of course) and, of course, Steve Simmons' wonderful subs!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu May 14, 2009 6:58 pm

this is his image hosted somewhere else

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu May 14, 2009 7:10 pm

Looks damn spiffy if you ask me! Good image choice, I'm a big fan of the calendar illustrations.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu May 14, 2009 8:35 pm

rereboy wrote:this is his image hosted somewhere else
Hmm, that still won't load for me, so I saved the source file and converted the format, and got it to work (for me). I have to say, that is a very well done cover! You definitely have some Photoshop skills!! I look forward to seeing any of your future works!

In case any this new upload isn't working for anyone else either, here is the version I got to work.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu May 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Wow, that looks REALLY nice! I love it! :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Thu May 14, 2009 10:03 pm

Woo! A dub DBOX! Awesome!

And that is a sweet cover, man.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu May 14, 2009 11:18 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
rereboy wrote:this is his image hosted somewhere else
Hmm, that still won't load for me, so I saved the source file and converted the format, and got it to work (for me). I have to say, that is a very well done cover! You definitely have some Photoshop skills!! I look forward to seeing any of your future works!

In case any this new upload isn't working for anyone else either, here is the version I got to work.
Thank You!!
I've updated the first post with the version you uploaded!!

And this isn't final, this is just a layout idea, I might change it to some degree before I'm done.
The general idea is that when I'm done, I take it down to Kinkos and print it out on card stock and then fold it up and I have a boxed set!!
I also plan on making matching covers for the movies themselves so they fit in with the box.

Also, the colors aren't anywhere near final, I'm thinking of changing the gold to a brighter gold

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Thu May 14, 2009 11:38 pm

Hey, I see it!

Awesome!
[quote="Masako-kun / MasakoX as Goku"]This is worse than that time I was in high school! And all the guys called me Geeko, and I was Piccolo's slave, and I couldn't get Chi-Chi to like me... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder than I thought.[/quote]
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/kuhan

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri May 15, 2009 6:22 pm

The 2008 calendar seems to be meant for the Double Features. Use them for the custom covers:

Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri May 15, 2009 11:10 pm

Those images are too Small, but I already have all of those in Very High resolution, and I already plan on using them

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Fri May 15, 2009 11:24 pm

Wow that is awesome! Would it be possible to get a larger image from you so I can set it as my desktop wallpaper?
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:58 am

These one looks good as well, I like that design idea taken from original Dragon Box 8)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:49 pm

One more question, you want to make full Dragon Box with functional DVD's, books etc. and put it on Amazon or something like that???

I know, there are copyrights and lot of simmilar stuff, but simmilar things happened in Hungary and France with DVD's. I think that French was official, but made by fans and Hungary is complete made by fans and selling + they dubbed some remaining episodes from Buu saga. So I think it's possible with cooperation with big company to make it real and official.

It'll be awesome to include all books and additional stuff from Japanese Dragon Box and translate them....
I was thinking a long time, why TOEI didn't made their DVD sets in International version, all in english and dubbing is unnecessary, they should included subtitles from Simmons Daimao.
I don't know if it's case of Japanese Nationalism against other countries on planet or simply TOEI isn't interested in making something like that.
But I think they are not interested because on Jump sites, there was even that Jump Special Movie with english subs, but again, released only within the Japan.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88