Kai Episode 17 (02 August 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:38 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Is there an article or something that states why they didn't actually go ahead and redraw(from scratch) the series similar to the style of the opening and closing credits? I really would have liked that.
I would imagine this costs less dough.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Is there an article or something that states why they didn't actually go ahead and redraw(from scratch) the series similar to the style of the opening and closing credits? I really would have liked that.
I know, I'm just afraid of the HD triangle faces that are sure to pop up now that the freeza saga is on its way.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:01 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
I know, I'm just afraid of the HD triangle faces that are sure to pop up now that the freeza saga is on its way.
What triangle faces?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:20 pm

Rod wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
JulieYBM wrote: I would imagine this costs less dough.
What triangle faces?
Y'know...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Oh...dear...god

it looks like thay animated the whole thing in 16:9 and then squished it into 4:3

How did that happen?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Rod wrote:Oh...dear...god

it looks like thay animated the whole thing in 16:9 and then squished it into 4:3

How did that happen?
The animators were too lazy to draw properly.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Rod wrote:Oh...dear...god

How did that happen?
http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?p=76794#76794

This should explain everything.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:55 am

Well, I've been wanting to do a side by side comparison of DBZ and DBK for a while, and I thought I might as well do it now at the start of a new arc (and a little bit because you won't be seeing the same thing over at Kanzentai). Now, I only did the segment of Kai that covered DBZ episode 36 (which was most of it) and I’m mostly just doing all of the scenes that were cut from Kai, but there are a few other things thrown in there.

The first thing I noticed was that the title cards are very similar (as are the titles: We're Off Into Space! The Planet of Hope is Piccolo's Homeland vs Dawn of the Fierce Battle... The Planet of Hope is Piccolo's Homeland), which I thought was neat:

Image Image

When everyone was huddled around Goku, and Bulma was crying about Yamcha being gone, a quick glance at Karin was cut, as was a later shot of their ship as it rose into the sky, and an even later shot of it soaring off:

Image Image Image

I thought I'd make a little image comparison of how the two-toned sky looks in each version:

Image Image

~ It seems when you compare the BGM of the old and new version of the scene where they put all of their fallen comrades into Bulma's stasis pods you get my favorite piece from Shunsuke Kikuchi and Kai's first insert song ("Over the Star"). "Over the Star" seemed amazing, until I learned what it replaced... :/ ~

The scene where Bulma reminisces about Yamcha and Kuririn recalling Chaozu's, Tenshinhan's and Piccolo's deaths is cut. This adds up to about 2min and 22seconds of consecutive filler:

Image Image

Again, the flashbacks are set with a darker color tone:

Image Image

Goku asking Kaio-sama about the location of Namek is cut down to about a sentence, as apposed to the back-and-forth-conversation version of the original. Bulma actually making the calculations for Namek's distance is also cut, as is Kaio ranting about Namek (followed by a brief shot of Kuririn), and a shot of the ship flying over the ocean: (close-up face)

Image Image Image Image

Yajirobe invisioning 100 Namekians is cut before we see Kami-sama's head arise, and a quick scene of Bulma re-inputting the numbers into her calculator (followed by a brief shot of Chi-Chi and Gohan's expressions) is cut. And then Goku asking Kaio about this new info and Muten Roshi commenting on Kuririn's idea of using the Saiya-jin's space pod is cut:

Image Image Image Image
Captain Awesome wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:I just think it's quite an extreme stretch and a lot of personal opinion to say that "every single instance of a "re-animated" scene has looked considerably worse than the original".
Clearly you didn't notice that Nappa's moustache has disappeared, the different shape of both Vegeta and Nappa's heads, the missing detail in Nappa's "gauntlets" and the incorrectly filled space between his arm and his torso...

I'm not saying all of these things are of huge consequence, they all just add up to make the re-drawn frames look worse than the originals, and considerably so. And not to be mean, but we've had this discussion in previous threads where you were unable to discern the "re-animated" material from the older material, despite the difference in colour and clarity making it extremely obvious.

But hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Yeah, I really didn't notice those my first time over, which is why I really don't think they make the frame look all that much worse (especially next to the things they did fix and make better; which I feel are much more noticeable than those minor coloring issues on tiny segments of the frame).

And when you say I wasn't able to discern the new animation from the old, are you talking about this time when I could tell that the scene had been re-animated, and was only asking if it differed from the original in terms of the positioning or layout of the frame; and this time when I mistakenly judged one quick scene from a next ep. preview? I really don't think those quick and simple mistakes I made during the beginning of the series are a good basis to judge how *I* feel about how much better/worse the re-animted scenes look... Just my thoughts.

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Wasted Wisher » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:50 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Vino wrote:Question for Wasted Wisher, are they going to use the same music that played in SSJ2 Gohan transformation? I know its still early, but I was curious since they used a song in a scene.
I personally highly doubt it, but I trust that Yamamoto-sama will come up with something very good.
Way too early to tell, Vino, but SSj_Rambo most likely has the right answer.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:15 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:I don't know anybody who says that, and I'm guessing the people who do are overly pretentious.
No, they just have a healthy entrepreneurial spirit.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.