So who was stronger: Vegeta or Trunks?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

So who was stronger: Vegeta or Trunks?

Post by Rory » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:54 am

When emerging from the Room of Spirit and Time, we see a very confident Super Vegeta, and a Super Trunks who can ascend evern beyond his level. Though Vegeta cannot sense this, Kuririn can:

"The amount of Ki you feel from it now isn't everything. There's way, way, way more. Just like you.. Trunks."

But as we al know, this form has a gigantic weakness, Goku, and Cell were both easily able to perform this "Ultra" form, as it has come to be known. So who is to say Vegeta couldn't perform the same technique? Even Trunks himself says:

"So that's why dad chose not to transform this way.. He knew this would happen.."

While Trunks' method of fighting seems to be focused on gaining a new level of Power, or a new transformation, Vegeta's is more reserved, he's a much smarter fighter, as demonstrated with the his tactics on Namek, or his deception with the Final Flash. Dispite the fact that he can let his thirst for battle get the better of him, he is very fast on his feet, as Goku would say, he is indeed a "Genius".
Even when Goku and Gohan emerge from the Room of Spirit and Time themselves as Super Saiyans, Trunks' first suggestion is a possible new transformation:

"Then does that mean.. they'll undergo another huge transformation during battle?!

Vegeta immediately sets him straight, knowing their tactics full well, without even talking to them about it. We all know Trunks is very inexperianced as a fighter, he makes a lot of rookie mistakes, and acts mostly on instinct, so my question is, was Trunks really stronger than Vegeta, as he claimed, or was this him once again missing the point? Kuririn seemed to think the former, so could Trunks simply have a bigger Ki reserve than Vegeta, which lead Kuririn to believe he was more powerful? Trunks himself knows Vegeta could most likely attain the same transformation as him at any given time, so who's to say they arn't completely equal, or that Vegeta could indeed be stronger?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:06 pm

Oh, I think Trunks was definitely stronger in the sense that he had more power as USSj2 then Vegeta did as USSj. However, being as slow as he was and not nearly as experienced in combat as Vegeta was, vegeta was the stronger/better fighter of the two.

Same goes for Goku and Gohan's FPSSj compared to Vegeta's USSj. USSj Vegeta likely had more power than FPSSj Goku and Gohan. However, having complete mastery over SSj gave them an advantage that Vegeta didn't have because they could use the power of SSj much more efficiently and with a lot less mental and physical stress than Vegeta has in any of his transformed states.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Kendamu wrote:USSj Vegeta likely had more power than FPSSj Goku and Gohan.
Goku powers up to 50% and Vegeta flips his wig over how much stronger Goku is than him.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:25 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Goku powers up to 50% and Vegeta flips his wig over how much stronger Goku is than him.
True. I forgot about that. I would consider that a more efficient use of power due to not being stressed from the transformation, but I think that's just looking too deeply into it so I won't count that.

Aside from my whole FPSSj thing above, I think my point still stands. USSj2 has more power than USSj, but USSj2 is useless because of how slow it is.
(they/she)

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
True. I forgot about that. I would consider that a more efficient use of power due to not being stressed from the transformation, but I think that's just looking too deeply into it so I won't count that.

Aside from my whole FPSSj thing above, I think my point still stands. USSj2 has more power than USSj, but USSj2 is useless because of how slow it is.
Did not Cell say that Trunks was stronger than he/it was in that form? Therefore, Super Saiyan Third Grade is stronger than Full Power Super Saiyan.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Did not Cell say that Trunks was stronger than he/it was in that form? Therefore, Super Saiyan Third Grade is stronger than Full Power Super Saiyan.
I find that incredibly hard to believe. Trunks was just stronger than Cell in his suppressed state. And I don't see why everyone would crap their pants at half of Goku's power, which wouldn't match up to half of Cell's power, if Trunks was stronger than a full power Perfect Cell.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:49 pm

Lotta good SSj3G does when you cannot even hit your foe.

Gokû's ki likely increased further beyond Vegeta or Trunks, base form-wise. And it's not like there are any multipliers given for those two grades, so who knows...
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:50 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
Rocketman wrote: Goku powers up to 50% and Vegeta flips his wig over how much stronger Goku is than him.

Did not Cell say that Trunks was stronger than he/it was in that form? Therefore, Super Saiyan Third Grade is stronger than Full Power Super Saiyan.
Hm. You're right. I don't think I directly compared USSj2 to FPSSj, though. Still, a good point! That means that if USSj2 has more power than FPSSj and FPSSj has more power than USSj... Trunks was stronger than Vegeta! :D
(they/she)

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:55 pm

I'd say Trunk was probably a little stronger than Vegeta anyway, USSJ2 or not.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:56 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:I'd say Trunk was probably a little stronger than Vegeta anyway, USSJ2 or not.
I doubt that. In the Time Chamber you can only sense other people in the chamber. Vegeta would've known if Trunks was stronger than him, and he'd have been mad about it. He's his regular confident asshole self, though.

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:28 pm

That's a good point. Could you keep things a secret in the Room of Time? There isn't really anywhere to hide or anything.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:52 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:Did not Cell say that Trunks was stronger than he/it was in that form? Therefore, Super Saiyan Third Grade is stronger than Full Power Super Saiyan.
Hm. You're right. I don't think I directly compared USSj2 to FPSSj, though. Still, a good point! That means that if USSj2 has more power than FPSSj and FPSSj has more power than USSj... Trunks was stronger than Vegeta! :D
Wasn't Cell still greatly suppressed during that fight, though? He was more or less toying with Vegeta and Trunks. If I recall correctly, nobody even got a glimpse at his full power until he used it against Gohan.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:45 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Amigo Ten wrote:I'd say Trunk was probably a little stronger than Vegeta anyway, USSJ2 or not.
I doubt that. In the Time Chamber you can only sense other people in the chamber. Vegeta would've known if Trunks was stronger than him, and he'd have been mad about it. He's his regular confident asshole self, though.
He managed to hide USSJ2 from him, or at the very least thought he'd hidden it from him.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:52 pm

I think Vegeta could have transformed like Trunks did, but didn't, because he knew the drawbacks. He tried to strike a balance between strength and speed.

I also think that Goku was stronger than both of them, and that Gohan was probably somewhat stronger than that, even without transforming to SSJ2 (though he was subconsciously holding back for most of the fight with Cell, even after he reached SSJ2).

As Amigo Ten said, there's no reason for everyone to be impressed with 50% of Goku if the Trunks they'd already sensed was stronger. Goku also implied that he was stronger than Vegeta on his way out of the room.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Vegeta said Trunks has almost as much power as him, which means he's weaker than Vegeta.

Trunks goes on about surpassing what Vegeta attained, and how he could never show Vegeta that he did. All of that implies that he only went beyond Vegeta once he went a level above what Vegeta did. He wasn't stronger anytime before that.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:57 pm

It leaves room for Trunks to be stronger than Vegeta with or without USSJ2. It's not clear either way, and i just go with Trunks being stronger because... I dunno, just do.

And it's made clear that FPSSJ Gohan is stronger is stronger than FPSSJ Goku. He just wasn't as willing to fight until he transformed.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:34 am

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:Vegeta said Trunks has almost as much power as him, which means he's weaker than Vegeta
Vegeta does have a history of grossly underestimating his opponent. Trunks was his son so he probably thought he couldn't possibly be stronger than his father. Than again there is that question about the Chamber. Is it possible to hid your power in place like that? I like to think so.

Also can we please use another acronym than FPSSJ? Every time I look at it I think First Person Shooter Saiyajin.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:36 am

Scarz wrote: Also can we please use another acronym than FPSSJ? Every time I look at it I think First Person Shooter Saiyajin.
Have you got any suggestions? :P
I can't think of any better acronym!

On topic, I think that it was pretty clear that Trunks was the slightly weaker one, and that the reason Krillin sensed more reserves in Trunks was that Vegeta didn't even go there. He stuck with SSJ 2nd grade.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:21 am

Godo wrote:
Scarz wrote: Also can we please use another acronym than FPSSJ? Every time I look at it I think First Person Shooter Saiyajin.
Have you got any suggestions? :P
I can't think of any better acronym!

On topic, I think that it was pretty clear that Trunks was the slightly weaker one, and that the reason Krillin sensed more reserves in Trunks was that Vegeta didn't even go there. He stuck with SSJ 2nd grade.
How about MSSJ?

Maximized super sayan-jin.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:35 am

Scarz wrote:
Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:Vegeta said Trunks has almost as much power as him, which means he's weaker than Vegeta
Vegeta does have a history of grossly underestimating his opponent. Trunks was his son so he probably thought he couldn't possibly be stronger than his father. Than again there is that question about the Chamber. Is it possible to hid your power in place like that? I like to think so.

Also can we please use another acronym than FPSSJ? Every time I look at it I think First Person Shooter Saiyajin.
But it's called "Full Power Super Saiyan." How else are you supposed to go about making an acronym for it?
(they/she)