Dragonball & One Piece: A Match Made In Heaven?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:56 pm

fps_anth wrote:The winner is the guy who loves both of them as his first and second favourite anime/manga :wink:

img
And that's the one thing I don't like about One Piece/Dragonball crossovers. Luffy looks like a goddamn psychopath next to Dragonball's more restrained expressions.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:14 am

Big Momma wrote:
Chuquita wrote: (I have no interest in the DON game that came out a while back because of that third party.)
It's actually not that bad of a game...except you're kinda right, Sasuke makes it a lot less enjoyable... >.<
Exactlly, you cut out the middle man and BAM! you got a fun game for everyone to enjoy!

...BELIEVE IT!
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:26 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Exactlly, you cut out the middle man and BAM! you got a fun game for everyone to enjoy!
Somehow, "Battle Stadium DO" just isn't very catchy.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:30 am

Herms wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Exactlly, you cut out the middle man and BAM! you got a fun game for everyone to enjoy!
Somehow, "Battle Stadium DO" just isn't very catchy.
Battle Stadium DBOP.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:44 am

"DON" is the Japanese sound Effect for a Big Boom, which in Shounen series like DB, OP and Naruto, is VERY often used to denote a Dramatic moment.

Like, in the One Piece Anime, it's that sound effect you hear whenever there's a big reveal, when the Bass Booms.

That's why the game was Named that. Because it had DB, OP, and Naruto and conveniently made a DON.

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:39 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:...BELIEVE IT!
Did you just reference Naruto there...?
DemonRin wrote:"DON" is the Japanese sound Effect for a Big Boom, which in Shounen series like DB, OP and Naruto, is VERY often used to denote a Dramatic moment.

Like, in the One Piece Anime, it's that sound effect you hear whenever there's a big reveal, when the Bass Booms.

That's why the game was Named that. Because it had DB, OP, and Naruto and conveniently made a DON.
In a SBS letter a fan had counted that the "dramatic introduction" sound effect had appeared in a total of 1469 times.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:57 pm

So, there's an argument going on at Arlong Park over DB and One Piece. I seem to be the only DB supporter :?

They're spitting bullshit like "The worse parts of One Piece are better than the best parts of DB" and "One Piece's BGM is better than Dragon Ball's!".

Their opinions are WRONG!

I kid, but it's interesting to see what the One Piece audience thinks of Dragon Ball.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:28 pm

Well, One Piece at it's best in better than Dragonball at it's best. At their respective worsts, One Piece is still probably better. I'm not sure. It's still better written on any account, but I can read through what I consider the bad parts of DB without getting annoyed or bored.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:30 pm

fps_anth wrote:I kid, but it's interesting to see what the One Piece audience thinks of Dragon Ball.
Or, what a nice portion of anime culture thinks of Dragon Ball.

They're more or less the same thing.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:56 pm

B wrote:
fps_anth wrote:I kid, but it's interesting to see what the One Piece audience thinks of Dragon Ball.
Or, what a nice portion of anime culture thinks of Dragon Ball.

They're more or less the same thing.
Sad ain't it?

I'm curious as to whether or not things would be the same in modern day Anime fandom if FUNimation had just dubbed it correctly form the beginning...

Also, my post on Arlong Park:
Metalwario64 on Arlong Park wrote:
Luffyshirou wrote:There is one difference between DBZ and one piece. In one piece things are more realistic. However in DBZ where the heck does all the BEAM energy come from!!?? You can easily destroy planets??? That's what i don't like about DBZ. Other than that it's a good fighting anime.
Uh... you've only seen Dragon Ball Z and you've only seen it in English am I right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

It's all explained in the Japanese version, and it's not "BEAM" energy, it's manipulation of Ki(or Chi as Viz translates it) which is the "Life Essence" so to speak. Yu Yu Hakusho has something similar known as "Spirit Energy".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:57 pm

fps_anth wrote:So, there's an argument going on at Arlong Park over DB and One Piece. I seem to be the only DB supporter :?
Yeah, I started that to get people to join the debate that actually started on this thread. Quite funny how it turned into an argument when that wasn't even the point.

It's pretty interesting how biased people are, but the One Piece Podcast members (basically the VegettoEX of One Piece) will be participating so I don't know how this debate will turn out.....
Last edited by ShinRogafuken on Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:00 pm

fps_anth wrote:So, there's an argument going on at Arlong Park .
Stopped reading here.
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:01 pm

Freeza.exe wrote:
Stopped reading here.
Why would you do such a thing? I do not understand it.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:03 pm

You didn't bother to pick him up on One Piece being more "realistic"?

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Freeza.exe wrote:
Stopped reading here.
Why would you do such a thing? I do not understand it.
I could tell you but chances are I'd get in trouble by EX.
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:10 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:You didn't bother to pick him up on One Piece being more "realistic"?
Done! 8)
And how is a show about Pirates with special powers from eating fruits, fighting chefs, and transforming Reindeer with a main character who can stretch his limbs in ways that would make Dhalsim ashamed more "realistic" than Dragon Ball?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:You didn't bother to pick him up on One Piece being more "realistic"?
This. One Piece is not realistic. I'm sometimes impressed by the realistic sounding parts that Oda sneaks in, making things almost sound plausible, but taken to the extreme.

A good example is probably Knock-Up Stream. I love that scene. It's magically impossible, despite the pseudo-scientific explanations; but that's what makes it awesome.

Also, what about Logia types? What about Aokiji? They can create an apparently endless supply of their element from their bodies. Where does all of that come from?

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:39 pm

fps_anth wrote:So, there's an argument going on at Arlong Park over DB and One Piece. I seem to be the only DB supporter :?

They're spitting bullshit like "The worse parts of One Piece are better than the best parts of DB" and "One Piece's BGM is better than Dragon Ball's!".

I kid, but it's interesting to see what the One Piece audience thinks of Dragon Ball.
They clearly don't understand that just because both are shonen that doesn't mean they are even related. Two different authors with two different stories. It just so happens that one author worships the other, and the other just started writing so he wouldn't have to steal from his mother's purse.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:46 pm

Really? A community of One Piece fans supporting One Piece? Get outta town!!

Pain

Post by Pain » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:59 pm

Raki wrote:

They clearly don't understand that just because both are shonen that doesn't mean they are even related. Two different authors with two different stories. It just so happens that one author worships the other, and the other just started writing so he wouldn't have to steal from his mother's purse.
Do those fans even know how crazy Oda is for Toriyama? I'm sure that he came in his pants while creating Cross Epoch. I mean, in One Piece: Color Walk 1, the guy had an interview with Toriyama and sounded like a crazed fanboy, for the most part. He's worse than most of us. :lol:
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black