Episode #0191 (27 September 2009)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0191 (27 September 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:59 pm

Episode #0191 (download MP3) (rss feed)
40:13; 64 kbps, mono; 18.4 MB

Episode #0191! VegettoEX and Julian review the "POWER OF DREAMER" CD single and the "DragonBall Kai" Original Soundtrack. Have we gotten the best b-side in years, and despite our feelings on "DragonBall Kai", does its soundtrack somehow manage to stand on its own? Tons of news (including several delays) and your great e-mails round out the episode! Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the interesting *one-hundred-ninety-one* episodes, now.

We're back! It's just Mike and Julian holding down the fort this week, but with two CDs and tons of song samples for you! Enjoy! I'll try to get those written reviews done soon... 8)

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:43 pm

I pretty much agree. I love the music for Kai, but I'd say that the animation is just...underwhelming for the music. I love the original score, of course, but it just works better with the animation, as a 80s and 90s series.

EDIT: Multiverse!!

As a fan who writes (or aspires to write) good fan fiction (none of that SSj345634 stuff), DBM is a big inspiration to me, if not in story vision, than dedication to art and enterpising handling of itself. Salagir and Gogeta Jr. have done what [strangely], DC or Marvel really haven't managed to do: bring together their different multiverses for a fun fight-fest (which is odd, because aside from Kal-El of New Earth...there's a dozens other Supermen and Superman-level characters), discounting that small mini (was it Countdown: Area?)
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:12 am

I've grown accustomed to some of the music of Kai, but DBZ will always have the Kikuchi score in my mind. In fact, it was actually a huge reason I decided to go with the Dragon Box instead of waiting for Funimation to license Kai.

There are a few good tracks, like the ones you mentioned, but a lot of them seem a little generic, not to mention overused.

It might be I feel this way because I usually don't play DBZ video games, but I do feel like while they feel DBish, they don't feel like the right music for the series itself.

I just started reading Dragon Ball Multiverse. Kinda liking it.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:17 am

A Dragon Ball Multiverse episode! Go for it!

Question: Does the CD include the 16-bit version of YEAH! BREAK! CARE! BREAK! used at the end of the episodes ((The part where they announce the sponsers and narrated by Gohan))?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:53 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:A Dragon Ball Multiverse episode! Go for it!

Question: Does the CD include the 16-bit version of YEAH! BREAK! CARE! BREAK! used at the end of the episodes ((The part where they announce the sponsers and narrated by Gohan))?
No.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:54 am

RoarkVegeta wrote:No.
DAMNIT! I want to have that cute jingle :x !
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:21 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
RoarkVegeta wrote:No.
DAMNIT! I want to have that cute jingle :x !
You don't know how dissapointed I was when I found out it wasn't there...

I want it too!

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:52 pm

Well, you guys nailed everything I wanted to point out myself about the Kai music. . *thumbs up*