DragonBall Manga Pulled From Maryland Library

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:22 am

Scarz wrote:There will always be the Pastor Wives of the world holding on to their unrealistic moral values, claiming that something as innocent as simplistically drawn penises are destroying American youths.
While those pastor wives are crusading, their husbands will be fucking their secretaries.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:00 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:I can completely understand why they'd do this. I'd probably get mad if I were the mother of this child too.
I agree but why should the book be punished for the schools mistake. If anything the school should be under fire for not taking into the consideration the rating the book has. Why should the book be banned from libraries, its perfectly suitable for its target age group.

I understand the situation but I have to say this lawyer is an asshole for taking things out of context and calling this manga filth. :evil:
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:03 pm

Clearly, a couple panels of a naked boy and a girl flashing an old guy (while not quite aware of what all she's showing him) taint the entirety of the crazy kung fu epic of the forty-something volumes that follow. Just like "end of life consultation" means that a thousand page bill is a secret plot to kill old people. :rolleyes:
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:15 pm

I find it funny too that in most cases like this Nudity and the human body cause more of an up roar than Violence, blood or gore.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:18 pm

caejones wrote:Just like "end of life consultation" means that a thousand page bill is a secret plot to kill old people. :rolleyes:
And school clinics are secret "abortion clinics" for pregnant teens. :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:23 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:I find it funny too that in most cases like this Nudity and the human body cause more of an up roar than Violence, blood or gore.
Good Times with Weapons indeed! :D

Girl decapitates dinosaur and roasts its body?
Teenaged driver runs over Giant fish with a boy attached?
Protagonist beats up just about anything without negative consequences?
"That auction was televised! My Five year old daughter saw the ... o_o "penis". How am I supposed to explain that to her? :evil: "
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:04 am

In a library in Maryland!!!????

Why this sounds like a job for Maryland's own Public Services Librarian Extraordinaire:

BRIAN REAL!!!!!!

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:56 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:In a library in Maryland!!!????

Why this sounds like a job for Maryland's own Public Services Librarian Extraordinaire:

BRIAN REAL!!!!!!

[img]Hilarius%20images%20nip[/img]
:lol:

Also...

It seems it made its way on Fark!

http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDL ... d=55067370
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:14 pm

BRIAN REAL!!!!!!
Dude, almost no-one here is going to understand that... :P

And yet it's hilarious, none-the-less.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:39 pm

I don't know whats going on but that face was HILARIOUS!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:People need to try stop protecting their children from everything. The world is not a Rated G movie where everything is safe, their are no blood or boobs. I'm surprise their removing manga like DB from most school libraries when they still have other violent stuff. I work at a school library like a year ago and, I notice they had comic books and manga like Watchmen, Preacher, and Neon Genesis Evangelion in their library.
Actually, it's funny you say that. Only two days ago, at school, I had brought in my Watchmen graphic novel that I had ordered from my library. We have this half hour session for reading each lesson, but my teacher said that comic books don't count as reading. And then, after discovering the nudity it had in it, he confiscated it, saying it was "unsuitable" (yet I am a teenager :? ). I got it back the next day, luckily, but still, it's stupid. The guy wasn't even my dad, so what right does he or anyone else have to take away my book? These people are trying to hide kids from what happens in the real world. Maybe they don't know that blood does come out of people, women do have breasts and boys do have penises. It's not like Watchmen, Dragon Ball or other graphic novels like them are Tijuana bibles or something.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:15 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:These people are trying to hide kids from what happens in the real world.
Exactly. I think we should show Schindler's List to elementary kids too.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:These people are trying to hide kids from what happens in the real world.
...funny you bring that up. I watched the movie in the 6th grade when we were relearning about the holocaust. The following year we had to take a sex ed course(where they basically show you an STD slide show) mix all that in with the civil war and I can't seem to understand why Dragonball was such a big deal. :?

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:57 pm

VegettoEX wrote:

BRIAN REAL!!!!!!
[...]
As a matter of fact... I didn't. :? </TFS referencing FUNi referencing I dunno>

Rocketman wrote: Exactly. I think we should show Schindler's List to elementary kids too.
Wikipedia wrote: For the 1997 American television showing of the film, at Spielberg's insistence it aired unedited and nearly uncensored, although the sex scene was mildly edited by removing nearly all of the "thrusting." The telecast was the first ever to receive a TV-M (now TV-MA) rating under the TV Parental Guidelines that had been established at the beginning of that year.[citation needed] Senator Tom Coburn, then an Oklahoma congressman, stated that NBC, by airing the film, had brought television "to an all-time low, with full-frontal nudity, violence and profanity," adding that airing the film was an insult to "decent-minded individuals everywhere."[34] Under fire from fellow Republicans as well as from Democrats, Coburn apologized for his outrage, saying: "My intentions were good, but I've obviously made an error in judgment in how I've gone about saying what I wanted to say." He said he hadn't reversed his opinion on airing the film, but qualified it ought to have been aired later at night, when there are not, as he said, "large numbers of children watching without parental supervision."[35]
Is it just me, or is there a slight difference, here? ^_^
But that aside... "hiding" and "showing" are rather different.
And there's the rating thing, but I don't think that addresses the comment.
(Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if Schindler's List was shown (in a supervised/edited form) in elementaryschools... or at least middleschool. I got tired of Holocaust-related media painfully fast. :oops: :shock: . Thy point is well made, however.)

[edit] Ur, or that more to-the-point guy above me. ^^.
(At our big STDs slideshow, the kid next to me kept telling me to get out my comicly oversized glasses whenever graphic images were shown. Not that those did much (I think I was closer to the back?), but yeah... interpret as you will.)[/edit]

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:42 am

Dude, almost no-one here is going to understand that...

I choose to think of it as 'Karma is a Cruel Bitch'.

I e-mailed him asking how his life is as a librarian. He didn't reply.

</talk about BS DB website politics that's way too old and off-topic>

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:58 am

Rocketman wrote:
Because genocide and genitals are clearly the same sort of thing. And there's no difference between showing something to someone, and having it be available in a library.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Pragmatic_Hominid

Post by Pragmatic_Hominid » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:26 am

VegettoEX wrote:

BRIAN REAL!!!!!!

Okay, some one explain this to me, please?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:34 pm

Just updated the home page with links to some wonderful pieces of critical analysis on the situation over on Delmarva Dealings.

Long story short, we all read smut.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Long story short, we all read smut.
You say that as if it were a bad thing.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:36 pm

I like how none of these folks can even do a quick Google search on Dragon Ball and see that it's not "smut". I mean, as soon as you hear something, you do a Google search. It should be a qualification to run for any public office, the ability to use Google.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?