Sabat & Schemmel Video Interview

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Re: Sabat & Schemmel Video Interview

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:14 am

dragondyle wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
dragondyle wrote:Vegeta looks like Gyuumao.
That would be ironic if Sabat voiced him, too.
He did at some point, I believe.
Actually Kyle Hebert voiced him in Dragon Ball originally, but in Z it was Mark Britten for Season 3, and then Sabat for the rest of the series. For the Orange Bricks Kyle came in and redubbed all of Gyuumao's lines.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue May 18, 2010 1:02 pm

Santa Chris!

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Tue May 18, 2010 4:18 pm

I have to say this interview looks very nice so far. I'd like to learn a little bit of the insight about Kai's stateside production. Considering that any DBZ extras on FUNimation's DVDs are very few and far between -- the last being the Ultimate Uncut "Goku vs. Vegeta" featurette and the so-called remastering features on the first of the Orange Brick season sets -- these video clips online are the next best thing.

(Of course, the inclusion of the English dub w/Japanese BGM on FUNimation's Dragon Box sets can be considered an extra, since the discs default to Japanese language....)
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Tue May 18, 2010 4:26 pm

dragondyle wrote:That's awesome to see that now they are handling Dragon Ball with care and they acknowledge it and see how bad their early stuff was.
Sabat actually HATES that scene from Season 3 of DBZ where Piccolo fused with Nail. You know: "I can WIN! I feel GREAT! I can DO this! Ugghngh!"

I watched this on the Dragon Box, and not only is it still here, but it matches the mouth flaps too! :) I think Sabat will probably never live that down, even more so than "It's over 9000". :)
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Tue May 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Chuquita wrote:Mr. Sabat's new facial hair makes me think of Mythbusters. I think it does make him look a bit heavier, but the beard doesn't look that bad. It's not like Santa Claus length or anything.

I like his new glasses.
Nice!! I like him as well when he was in the Budokai 3 interview :D
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Wed May 19, 2010 2:03 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Actually Kyle Hebert voiced him in Dragon Ball originally, but in Z it was Mark Britten for Season 3, and then Sabat for the rest of the series. For the Orange Bricks Kyle came in and redubbed all of Gyuumao's lines.
Oh, I see now. Thanks for clearing that up. :)
You must have faith in who you are.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed May 19, 2010 2:11 am

I wonder they didn't put this on the DVD. This would've made a perfect extra along with some audio commentaries or a 'Behind the Scenes documentary'. As for the interview itself I don't really have anything to say other then Sean and Chris look really different to when I last saw them.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 19, 2010 2:16 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:I wonder they didn't put this on the DVD. This would've made a perfect extra along with some audio commentaries or a 'Behind the Scenes documentary'. As for the interview itself I don't really have anything to say other then Sean and Chris look really different to when I last saw them.
This was done after the discs were pressed.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 24, 2010 6:21 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf6qeO-Wd2c

Part 2, acting with the Dragon Ball Kai score.

And further bashing of former FUNimation guard. :p
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon May 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Yamamoto's score is better than Faulconer's, I'll give them that, but it's no Kikuchi.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:54 pm

Meh, Kai's score is kinda underwhelming. The JP score for Z is far better and actually has tracks with life in it, and at least it waited until the Cell saga to start using the same songs a billion times. Of course, the dub score for Z is better than both, but still.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 24, 2010 6:59 pm

We get it, you two.

Bring something new to the table.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:00 pm

VegettoEX wrote:We get it, you two.

Bring something new to the table.
I just copy & pasted my YouTube post without even reading any posts after the link was posted.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Mon May 24, 2010 7:21 pm

I love the fact that they love the music of (Z) Kai because it has moments of silence in between the music and isn't so "in your face". That's how the original Japanese score was for DragonBall Z, which is why fans complained about Kai's "in your face" music with very little silence. Now it's all flip-flopped on me, and I'm confused. And what does Sabat mean when he says, "We don't have to guess as to whether the Japanese wanted it to be a certain way?" In DragonBall Z, what was there to guess about? The music was there, they just had to use it.

A great quote from the interview:
"I think it's going to be the definitive Dragon Ball Z." - Sean Schemmel

Where have I heard this before?

Also, Schemmel says if you want to know what DragonBall Z is about, you should watch (Z) Kai or read the manga. I thought FUNimation cleared this up with their "top 10 reasons" list, in that you literally can't get any closer to experiencing Akira Toriyama's original vision. Sorry, I just had to say that.

I also want to know, if they're so excited now and have learned so much about the original series, why did they choose to use certain dub lingo (i.e. names, attacks, etc.)? That's just laziness on everyone's part. And I'm kind of not surprised at all to hear Schemmel say he's never actually listened to the original Japanese music. And I love how Schemmel bashes the original producers and execs, but then says he's not at all saying the original dub was a bad series. Which is it? Was it good, or bad? Don't go around blaming other people about a show you all had your hands in, but then turn around and try to tell all the dub fans that it's still a really good series. It just sounds so conflicting. Also, you can now publicly say you didn't like the original dub and how it was handled? It's comments like this that are very hard to swallow. This I'm just not buying. I mean, you said yourself that you didn't know what you were doing then, but you do now. So when exactly did you realize what you were doing was nothing like the original? You've always praised the English dub and how amazingly awesome you think it is. So what's changed here? Anyway...

Lastly, someone (Schemmel) has finally said something about this being Japanese, and he even mentioned Toei itself. But I still have to wonder why they haven't used this to their advantage in promoting the series.

Overall, I do like these little insights into how these guys think. Too bad it's so hard for me to believe them after all their years of telling me the original English dub was so amazing in comparison to the original Japanese. I guess this really all goes back to Corey's post toward Schemmel in another thread, so I won't bring it up.

EDIT: I just noticed this was written in the video's description on YouTube, and had to say something... What the fuck does this mean?!
Seán also, depending on how you translate it, is the voice of God himself - King Kai.
I've made multiple posts on multiple forums, as has Herms, about the proper translation of Kaiou, and how King Kai is only a half-translation. So, am I so asinine as to think this was somehow addressed at a couple people? Probably not, but still. And to call him God?! He's not God, God (Kami-sama) is God.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Tue May 25, 2010 9:01 pm

Hujio wrote:Venting about FUNimation's incompetence.
Sounds like you had a rough day today.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue May 25, 2010 9:11 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:
His YouTube account got suspended

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed May 26, 2010 5:09 am

ohaimynameiserik wrote:
Sounds like he hasn't watched any of FUNimation's dubs apart from DBZ.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 26, 2010 8:46 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Sounds like he hasn't watched any of FUNimation's dubs apart from DBZ.
Their other properties aren't the subject of conversation and have no relevance to the points being made. Why would they be brought up?

Statements of fact and comparisons to prior versions of a DBZ product that put them in a poor light has nothing to do with whether or not Hujio has seen the dub of Kodocha.

Why is this so difficult for some of you to follow?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Wed May 26, 2010 9:28 am

Hujio wrote:I also want to know, if they're so excited now and have learned so much about the original series, why did they choose to use certain dub lingo (i.e. names, attacks, etc.)? That's just laziness on everyone's part. And I'm kind of not surprised at all to hear Schemmel say he's never actually listened to the original Japanese music.
I dislike the dub names as much as the next guy but "laziness" certainly isn't the reason why they kept them. It's not like they'd have to do any actual work to change "Say"an or Tri-beam. And they had no problem ditching Special Beam Cannon or "Kay"oken. Given their comments on staying true to the Japanese version, it seems more likely that they wanted to change the names but didn't want thousands of dub fans wondering why Vegeta is pronouncing Saiyan wrong.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed May 26, 2010 10:34 am

Greenman wrote:I dislike the dub names as much as the next guy but "laziness" certainly isn't the reason why they kept them. It's not like they'd have to do any actual work to change "Say"an or Tri-beam. And they had no problem ditching Special Beam Cannon or "Kay"oken. Given their comments on staying true to the Japanese version, it seems more likely that they wanted to change the names but didn't want thousands of dub fans wondering why Vegeta is pronouncing Saiyan wrong.
But they wouldn't be pronouncing it "wrong" at all. If they're keeping old errors just to avoid confusion, then they're completely missing the point of doing a new, more accurate dub in the first place.
-Rachel