New Freeza Talkback

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blue
Advanced Regular

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by Blue » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:45 pm

*cough*

Ooooh don't mind me.

Also leaked Kai clips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WA1d-WZPpI
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Ishtar318
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ishtar318 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:52 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Oh man. This may sound really bad to some people, but I just realized...

Ayres' Freeza sounds almost exactly like Invade Zim sometimes. ^.^;
I don't find this to be a bad thing. In fact, with the right acting, I think Richard Horvitz (the voice actor for ZIM) wouldn't be bad at all as Freeza.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:21 pm

I still hear a little Doc Ock myself, but it doesn't matter anyway. Whatever similarities the voice has to other characters, the most important point is that it suits Freeza PERFECTLY.
Kirbopher wrote: Freeza's transformations, especially his final form, are gonna be even MORE to look forward to.
I assume this has to do with Chris changing the voice up without the need of filters correct?

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:26 pm

Well based on watching episode 21 of DBZ Kai, I am one of the group who gives Chris Ayres a thumbs up for his performance so far. While I was not quite sure if his take on Freeza was still too feminine but I find that it is only when Freeza is cool and collected. When he raises his voice we get a male smarty pants and when he get's angry, it's actually a bit unerving. Unerving is what we should all expect from Freeza 8). I look forward to hearing Ayres' take on Freeza's other forms later in the series and when the space tyrant actually get's his hands dirty.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:10 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Oh man. This may sound really bad to some people, but I just realized...

Ayres' Freeza sounds almost exactly like Invade Zim sometimes. ^.^;
Screw Zim, I realized the other day that he frequently sounds like Captain Janeway, from Star Trek Voyager. Also, re-listening to the voice it doesn't sound quite as bored as I'd remembered from my first two listens. Still not a fan of the voice, but it scores some coolness points for sounding like Janeway.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:08 pm

Now that I think of it, anyone else find it funny that the new Frieza is the brother of the voice of Saiyuki Goku?

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:22 pm

watched episode 23:

Some Freeza sexyness near the end, with some nice boisterous "NA-HAHA!" Nakao-like laughs. :D

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:02 pm

I love Chris Ayres' Frieza. I did like Linda Young's Frieza but it feels like Chris' voice fits the character more than Young's did. Though I do feel sorry for Linda having to be replaced, seeing how it was the most popular character she's ever voiced. At least she still has Fortuneteller Baba.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:32 am

In the latest episode, Ayres' Fri­eza kept shifting between the raspy Newstone impression, and his more Nakao performance. I wonder if it's intentional, but either way I really wish he would be more consistent and stick with the more gentlemanly Nakao-esque performance.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:44 am

I've been downloading the Nicktoons eps for repeat views and I dunno. I just hear creepy Freeza myselff, no Newstone to me.

Ishtar318
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ishtar318 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:39 pm

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 pm

"This is your mess YOU find him!"

I think that about sums it up. :D

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Holy shit, he sounds REALLY bad when he's screaming in those two clips. Yuck. He sounds like a grandma.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:05 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Holy shit, he sounds REALLY bad when he's screaming in those two clips. Yuck. He sounds like a grandma.
I'm not getting any grandma out of that. It's high pitched rasp, which is reminiscent of an agitated Nakao.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:16 pm

MR.Mark wrote:I've been downloading the Nicktoons eps for repeat views and I dunno. I just hear creepy Freeza myselff, no Newstone to me.
What program that you use to download it?

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:24 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Holy shit, he sounds REALLY bad when he's screaming in those two clips. Yuck. He sounds like a grandma.
You need to talk to different grandmas.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:50 pm

Yeah, but you have to remember that if it's not Linda Young you're going to hate it, anyway. So you might as well make due.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:02 am

Because a lusty, chainsmoking transvestite fit the character so much better, amirite?

At least Ayres has made some steps away from Pauline Newstone, and his delivery is better.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:13 am

Hmm, I'm still very much on the fence when it comes to this new Freeza, and those last two clips certainly haven't done much to sway me in either direction. But I'm still loving that Zarbon. I love when his voice cracked on the word "ship."
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:50 am

I'm with Kendamu and penguintruth.

Don't bash the new Freeza and say it sounds like a grandma while even faintly having the mindset that Linda Young's Freeza was any good whatsoever.