AAAHHHS!!! BIG QUESTION!!!

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Tue May 10, 2005 9:51 pm

We're probably gonna get slaughtered for necroposting, but, in the anime atleast, Piccolo calls him "Goku" on a few occasion, though the only I remember at the moment is from movie 4, when he was being squeezed by Slug.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue May 10, 2005 10:02 pm

I recall him calling Goku "Son Goku" many times during the 23rd Tenka'ichi Budôkai...

Wahwahwah
Banned

Post by Wahwahwah » Wed May 11, 2005 6:03 pm

Yes, but that's a proper way of addressing someone, using their whole name, which is what you do if you aren't friendly with a person, as in, buddies. The fact that he didn't use a "-san" means he wasn't being polite, either.

Anyways, Yes, I'm quite sure that Mr. Iron Grip is going to be mad at me, but let's face it, I'm not that polite, either. In fact, I think I'd be about as polite as...well, Piccolo!!!

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed May 11, 2005 6:48 pm

I think I remember reading that Piccolo made the full switch to calling Gokuu by his first name after he refused with Kami during the Cell saga. He calls him Gokuu pretty consistently in both the manga and anime after that point.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Wahwahwah
Banned

Post by Wahwahwah » Wed May 11, 2005 6:52 pm

"THAT JERK WHO CALLS HIMSELF 'KAMI'", as I call him, SUCKS!!!

Actually, I was asking about the REAL Piccolo's speech, BEFORE he fused with any of those JERKS!!!

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed May 11, 2005 7:23 pm

Wahwahwah wrote:"THAT JERK WHO CALLS HIMSELF 'KAMI'", as I call him, SUCKS!!!

Actually, I was asking about the REAL Piccolo's speech, BEFORE he fused with any of those JERKS!!!
He speaks in a way that, while not "formal" per se, feels somewhat archaic and makes him sound older than his current incarnation suggests. As Piccolo-Daimaô and early Ma Junior, it's pretty similar to Kami's speech (if I remember correctly), but as time goes on, it shifts to a more "natural"-sounding male speech (while keeping the tendency for sounding pompous).

I guess what I'm having trouble expressing here, is the difference between grammatical "formality" (that is, the relative lack of slang or "regional" dialect) and formality as a sociolinguistic construct of politeness (using "masu" and "desu," and using appropriate honorific / humble forms). Piccolo's speech is generally very "rigid" and "proper"-sounding, but not what you'd really call "polite."

At any rate, that's my take on things. If Daimao or Greg wants to step in and disagree, be my guest.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Wahwahwah
Banned

Post by Wahwahwah » Thu May 12, 2005 3:43 am

Coolies, thanks!!! That's what I thought, but, you know, I just wanted to make sure.

Oh, BTW, to Mr. Iron Grip, Yeah, I know I'm being a Jerk, and I'm pretty sure I'll get deleted soon, but just let me make ONE THING CLEAR:

I NEVER let someone control me unless *I* agree to it.

That being very clearly thus said, I will most likely be deleted very soon.

Oh, yeah, and sure, I DID agree to the terms and conditions when I signed up, but I didn't expect a lot of you to be such Iron Butt Fops.

So, I will be expecting to be deleted very soon because of this simple little insult.

Oh, and by the way? Don't worry about my little cute butt (*cough*narcissist*cough*), I'm just fine knowing my main questions have been answered.

'Till another time...or, that is, another E-Mail...MWAH HAH HAH HAH HAHS!!!!!!!

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu May 12, 2005 5:22 am

Don't worry. I know those... "certain people" know that they are "butt fops"...

:lol:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu May 12, 2005 7:11 am

We may be "iron butt fops" as you so eloquently put it, but at least we're not someone "playing" at knowing Japanese just because they've watched some subtitled anime, read one or two language books, and written a few lame fanfictions. :roll:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 12, 2005 7:42 am

Wahwahwah wrote:Coolies, thanks!!! That's what I thought, but, you know, I just wanted to make sure.

Oh, BTW, to Mr. Iron Grip, Yeah, I know I'm being a Jerk, and I'm pretty sure I'll get deleted soon, but just let me make ONE THING CLEAR:

I NEVER let someone control me unless *I* agree to it.

That being very clearly thus said, I will most likely be deleted very soon.

Oh, yeah, and sure, I DID agree to the terms and conditions when I signed up, but I didn't expect a lot of you to be such Iron Butt Fops.

So, I will be expecting to be deleted very soon because of this simple little insult.

Oh, and by the way? Don't worry about my little cute butt (*cough*narcissist*cough*), I'm just fine knowing my main questions have been answered.

'Till another time...or, that is, another E-Mail...MWAH HAH HAH HAH HAHS!!!!!!!
I'll damn well control you if I want, because you're in my territory. You either post here appropriately or not. And you're not.

So clean up, or you're booted the fuck out of here. You've been verbally warned three times, now. One more, and you're outta here. And it would be very sad to not be allowed to participate in, easily, the best DBZ community available to you :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Wahwahwah
Banned

Post by Wahwahwah » Thu May 12, 2005 8:33 am

Actually, I really don't care what you say to me, because I know I have the intellect of a chimp!

Please ban my IP, e-mail, and everything else associated with me. I encourage you to edit any of my words, because quite frankly, that's an amazing form of "control." By editing what I say, you're effectively controling the way I come across on the board, which in turn controls a whole lot of other things!

I can think what I want, say what I want, and even do what I want, but the fact remains that since I'm in someone else's area with absolutely no administrative abilities, I'm at the mercy of those with the appropriate power. I'm fully controlled.

I've actually (essentially) asked to be banned from the start, but what's more ironic (and I don't actually understand) is that I've been controlled the whole time. My entire existence has been an experiment by the administrators, known the entire time, to see how I'd react to [b]not[/b] being banned earlier. The way I acted from the very instant I signed up indicated that I should have been banned, but the administrators laughed it up without my knowing and allowed me to say.

I've been completely controlled. Utterly, disgustingly, and completely.

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Thu May 12, 2005 9:21 am

Wahwahwah wrote:Actually, I really don't care what you say to me, as long as you can understand that... I DON'T CARE!!!

You could ban my IP, send E-Mails and IMs around about how I'm such a jerk and even insist that you can actually control me.

You may be able to ban people, junior, but don't you EVER think you can actually CONTROL me.

I can think what I want, say what I want, and even do what I want, and you can't find a single thing to actually "control" me.
There, there. That's it. Let it all out. Feel better now? The healing can now begin.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu May 12, 2005 12:31 pm

Wahwahwah wrote:<!-- *clipped* Long, and pointless rant. *clipped* -->
Mike puts up these rules because of people like you, kid. He tries to keep the civility of the boards so we can have peaceful discussions about things; you however seem to believe you are above peoples rules, on a web forum that is not yours to talk as you please on.
You may not care what happens, but atleast you could have the decentcy to not act like a bastard with these baseless, as well as pointless replies that are in no small way an attempt to gouge at Mike, and the way he runs things here.

By traveling down the path you are, you not only show your arrogance, but your immaturity; I hope you like your new home on the ban list, when it comes to that. 8)
VegettoEX wrote:I'll damn well control you if I want, because you're in my territory. You either post here appropriately or not. And you're not.

So clean up, or you're booted the fuck out of here. You've been verbally warned three times, now. One more, and you're outta here. And it would be very sad to not be allowed to participate in, easily, the best DBZ community available to you :).
Nicely said.
Jerseymilk wrote:We may be "iron butt fops" as you so eloquently put it, but at least we're not someone "playing" at knowing Japanese just because they've watched some subtitled anime, read one or two language books, and written a few lame fanfictions.
No truer words have ever been spoken, Jers.

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Thu May 12, 2005 12:54 pm

Wahwahwah wrote:[Load of attention seeking crap]
Hey, do you walk around on your hands and speak out your ass?

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself :P )
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Thu May 12, 2005 2:38 pm

<pops up from lower right corner, MK style>
ANGSTY!

Although I agree with some points Wahwahwah made, that people here can be pretty anal about some things and generally try to keep things "peaceful" in weird style, how WWW channeled those points is a different story altogether.

That said, though, before this topic became a rant-o-rama, it was about a topic which I'm very interested in, so can we get back to it, please?
It's party time, Ginyu style!

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Thu May 12, 2005 3:10 pm

On the topic of character speech, do any of the characters speak in the kansai dialect?
Where's the beef?

ruffriles19
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ruffriles19 » Thu May 12, 2005 3:23 pm

El_Diablo wrote:On the topic of character speech, do any of the characters speak in the kansai dialect?
I'm pretty sure Yajirobe does, and possibly Chichi too. Others might have more info.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Thu May 12, 2005 3:56 pm

Fuujin wrote:<pops up from lower right corner, MK style>
ANGSTY!
Wow, what an obscure reference. :) Nicely done!

Anyway, is there a list somewhere of which characters speak in which dialect? It would be a nice section of the site if there isn't one somewhere else already. I know people have said listening to Kero-chan in Cardcaptor Sakura was funny because of his Osaka dialect, so I was wondering if there were any Dragon Ball characters whose speech patterns made them sound funny (besides Gokuu and Chi-Chi, of course).

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu May 12, 2005 4:51 pm

We all know that that it's coming soon.

Anyway, that's one thing I've never really thought abut much, but even as small as Japan is it's got a lot of dialects. It would be neat to have a little section about the differences between the characters (and even differences in the same character over time). Possibly even with audio clip examples. :D
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Thu May 12, 2005 5:17 pm

Julian has some work to do, meesa tinks. >_>