Sensing ki from the afterlife.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Sensing ki from the afterlife.

Post by Nazi Cola » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Did Goku say something that showed he couldn't sense Super Perfect Cell's ki from the afterlife?
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Sensing ki from the afterlife.

Post by Savage68 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:21 pm

His knowledge of Gohan's suppressed Kamehameha seemed to indicate that he could sense the powers on Earth. He couldn't initially, though. Plot devices such as this don't come as much of a surprise, since that battle (Super Perfect Cell's debut in particular) was the dumbest and most pathetic attempt at "loldrama" in the series. And in the Buu arc, Goku can sense even Goten & Trunks' power from the Kaioshinkai. So he should've definitely felt Cell's ki.

EnmaDaiou
Beyond Newbie

Post by EnmaDaiou » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:11 am

Goku said he didn't sense Cells Ki because Cell was not near.
Cell was supposed to be with Goku and Kaiou.

To sense something distant needs more concentration.
Capsule Corporation - New layout!!
Trying to be a great Brazilian portuguese DB site.

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:24 am

He seemed to sense Kaio's ki fairly easily right before he used Instant Movement at the Cell Games.

EnmaDaiou
Beyond Newbie

Post by EnmaDaiou » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:28 am

Savage68 wrote:He seemed to sense Kaio's ki fairly easily right before he used Instant Movement at the Cell Games.
He had a time to concentrate.

I don't think it's that difficult.

But I think his reaction was normal. Goku was expecting that Cell was near.
But he was very far from him.
Capsule Corporation - New layout!!
Trying to be a great Brazilian portuguese DB site.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:50 pm

In the Viz translation, Goku only says that he doesn't see Cell's soul, not even that he can't sense him. Kaio figures out that Cell's alive just from that. Also, Goku could sense Namekians from Kaio's planet so long as he knew which way to look. It all depends on your skill levels, how familiar you are with the ki, and how strong the ki is at the time, I guess.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:57 pm

Bussani wrote:In the Viz translation, Goku only says that he doesn't see Cell's soul, not even that he can't sense him.
That's heavily implied though, since if Goku felt the ki, he wouldn't have been surprised that Cell survived. He'd have known right from off the bat that Cell never truly died. No one really seemed to catch on to this until Trunks was killed. And it's especially weird, since it's not like SPC was suppressed or anything.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:00 pm

I was replying to this, really. Probably should have made it more obvious.
EnmaDaiou wrote:Goku said he didn't sense Cells Ki because Cell was not near.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Savage68 wrote:
Bussani wrote:In the Viz translation, Goku only says that he doesn't see Cell's soul, not even that he can't sense him.
That's heavily implied though, since if Goku felt the ki, he wouldn't have been surprised that Cell survived. He'd have known right from off the bat that Cell never truly died. No one really seemed to catch on to this until Trunks was killed. And it's especially weird, since it's not like SPC was suppressed or anything.
Trunks died a few seconds after Cell arrived on Earth. Plus he was in the afterlife when he regenerated, so I doubt they'd be able to feel him from there unless they all concentrated. It's the same type of thing when Gohan fired a bigger Kamehameha at Cell when he was trying to destroy Earth. A few of them thought he was dead, but his life-force was still there. It's likely that Goku could sense Cell's chi during the time in which he was charging his Solar Kamehameha. Filler suggests that the chi from his blast could be felt all the way to Namek. When Kaio-sama tells Goku that Cell somehow survived the blast, Cell is really just standing there on Earth, with sparks flying. I'm sure if he looked in the right direction to sense his power level, he'd be able to do so, meaning it's likely he did during the beam struggle.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:49 pm

Goku/Kaio in the afterlife...may need to concentrate in order to sense Super Perfect Cell's ki...who's also in the afterlife?

Since when is concentration necessary to feel a large ki?

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Savage68 wrote:Goku/Kaio in the afterlife...may need to concentrate in order to sense Super Perfect Cell's ki...who's also in the afterlife?

I was referring to when Cell was on Earth. I'm not sure how the mechanics of someone dying and allowing to keep their bodies works compared to someone coming back to the brink extinction. It could be they missed him by a fraction of a second.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Perfect wrote:
Savage68 wrote:Goku/Kaio in the afterlife...may need to concentrate in order to sense Super Perfect Cell's ki...who's also in the afterlife?

I was referring to when Cell was on Earth. I'm not sure how the mechanics of someone dying and allowing to keep their bodies works compared to someone coming back to the brink extinction. It could be they missed him by a fraction of a second.
I agree with Perfect on this one it could have easily played it out with Cell going boom, then regenerating incredibly fast like within 5 seconds, then he learns of his SSJ2 like power and uses Shunkan Ido to go back to Earth. All in all only 10 seconds after his explosion, while exactly 2 seconds later Goku & Co. have now received their bodies thereby missing the opportunity to witness Cell's regeneration.
The only reason why it seemed to take that long is because of plot related reasons(having to see Goku with a halo and knowing that Cell isn't there) and also you can't show what's happening on Earth and Snakeway in just one frame anyway, so that is my explanation, you understand?? xD

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:29 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Perfect wrote:

I agree with Perfect on this one it could have easily played it out with Cell going boom, then regenerating incredibly fast like within 5 seconds, then he learns of his SSJ2 like power and uses Shunkan Ido to go back to Earth. All in all only 10 seconds after his explosion, while exactly 2 seconds later Goku & Co. have now received their bodies thereby missing the opportunity to witness Cell's regeneration.
The only reason why it seemed to take that long is because of plot related reasons(having to see Goku with a halo and knowing that Cell isn't there) and also you can't show what's happening on Earth and Snakeway in just one frame anyway, so that is my explanation, you understand?? xD
Yes I get what you're saying. The anime seems to have a bit of a delay as he's regenerating, but that could have happened during any number of seconds/minutes. I guess you could say it was delayed for effect, whereas the manga's is very short in comparison.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:07 pm

I guess that would beg the question.... why didn't Trunks' soul show up? :P

I guess he could have been bearly alive for a while.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:13 pm

Because he would have been in line for Enma, not near Kaio-sei.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4